ADVERTISEMENT

$13 million dollar Florida NIL deal falls through? Small update from ESPN

Footbol

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2022
A lot of the issues described in this article have been brought up and discussed in other threads on this site. Particularly with the Texas A&M players. Thought that this article was interesting relative to the sheer size of the NIL and the public discussion of how NILs are managed by an entity outside the school and how that affects the team.

Florida NIL tries to get out of $13 million contract

The tip of the iceberg, and college football is the Titanic.

A $13 million deal for a college quarterback?

This NIL situation is unsustainable.
Agreed.

What is interesting is that the NIL are trying to renege on the contract apparently because they did not have the money. They just assumed that the money would be available from a donor.

While the NIL was trying to renege, the coach apparently thought he was still on board because the NIL and the coach are supposed to work independently. Wink wink.

Additionally, the money and contract had been signed assuming that he would/was enrolled. Oops.

4 star QB. Makes you wonder whether a 5 star tackle was offered more than 2 million IDK. Big bucks being thrown around. SWARM has its hands full.

Agreed.

What is interesting is that the NIL are trying to renege on the contract apparently because they did not have the money. They just assumed that the money would be available from a donor.

While the NIL was trying to renege, the coach apparently thought he was still on board because the NIL and the coach are supposed to work independently. Wink wink.

Additionally, the money and contract had been signed assuming that he would/was enrolled. Oops.

4 star QB. Makes you wonder whether a 5 star tackle was offered more than 2 million IDK. Big bucks being thrown around. SWARM has its hands full.
I mean ... what a frickin mess!

Did he sign a LOI? I assume he did ... can he get out of it?

If yes, why? His "deal with the school" is still in place.

If no, I guess he is free to sign elsewhere?

Reactions: CaboKP
I mean ... what a frickin mess!

Did he sign a LOI? I assume he did ... can he get out of it?

If yes, why? His "deal with the school" is still in place.

If no, I guess he is free to sign elsewhere?
Sounds like he has yet to sign the LOI.

Agreed.

Ya they need more people to donate

Watch his kid ends up doing nothing in college. Will probably pull a Tate martell. Highly ranked kid who never did anything and went to 3 different schools.

NIL and the portal are severely ruining college football. It has to be policed with limits. Maybe limit the amount of transfers per athlete and NIL can only apply for up to 2 destinations.
This is part of the problem “NIL” is making money off their name image and likeness….that is fine. What is not fine is this wild, Wild West of fans crowd sourcing these “collectives”.

The collectives need to be banned. Period.

you should always be able to profit off your NIL.

This is part of the problem “NIL” is making money off their name image and likeness….that is fine. What is not fine is this wild, Wild West of fans crowd sourcing these “collectives”.

The collectives need to be banned. Period.

you should always be able to profit off your NIL.
The problem is there’s no real way to separate the two. Many of these kids are supposedly being paid for their “name image and likeness” but it’s really just a sham. “NIL” is a cover up for pay for play.

College sports need to go back to a true amateurism model. That’s what made it great in the first place. It may take a legal battle to do so, but it can and should be done.

Last edited:
The problem is there’s no real way to separate the two. Many of these kids are supposedly being paid for their “name image and likeness” but it’s really just a sham. “NIL” is a cover up for pay for play.

College sports need to go back to a true amateurism model. That’s what made it great in the first place. It may take a take a legal battle to do so, but it can and should be done.
I recall a Colorado (I think) football player who was also a pro skier, had to give up the skiing to remain eligible for "amateur" college football.

Break the NIL teams off into a non-school associated league. Let those that opt out of or dont participate in NIL be D1 football. No cross over games, no transferring into D1. Make it exactly like FCS, higher seed gets home game until championship.

This needs to be about the STUDENT-athlete. Scholarships could include tuition, books, room and board, tutor, meal plan for the cafeteria, medical due to scholarship activity related issues, travel for games, a 5k stipend per semester to offset not working. Etc...

Reactions: kwik44

College sports need to go back to a true amateurism model. That’s what made it great in the first place. It may take a legal battle to do so, but it can and should be done.
There’s too much money in college athletics to say the players should just be amateurs when the universities are making millions.

the problem with NIL is that everyone dragged their feet on it until it became a reality, with the result that there no guardrails in place when it starts, and so it quickly morphed into pay for play.

Pretty sure the legal battle is over. I'm not really sure how you overturn a Supreme Court decision.

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
I recall a Colorado (I think) football player who was also a pro skier, had to give up the skiing to remain eligible for "amateur" college football.

Break the NIL teams off into a non-school associated league. Let those that opt out of or dont participate in NIL be D1 football. No cross over games, no transferring into D1. Make it exactly like FCS, higher seed gets home game until championship.

This needs to be about the STUDENT-athlete. Scholarships could include tuition, books, room and board, tutor, meal plan for the cafeteria, medical due to scholarship activity related issues, travel for games, a 5k stipend per semester to offset not working. Etc...
Nice dream, but how about you rejoin reality?

I agree the current status quote is unsustainable, but you’re not splitting colleges off from each other.

There’s too much money in college athletics to say the players should just be amateurs when the universities are making millions.

the problem with NIL is that everyone dragged their feet on it until it became a reality, with the result that there no guardrails in place when it starts, and so it quickly morphed into pay for play.
Companies make millions and most don't pay interns or pay them very little. Once intern has proven themselves worthy, they can then apply for a real job and ask for what they think they are worth. Sort of like when college players opt to turn pro.

Nice dream, but how about you rejoin reality?

I agree the current status quote is unsustainable, but you’re not splitting colleges off from each other.
Why not, NIL is splitting them? Oh and FCS doesn't seem to have this NIL issue and they play some damn good ball.

Companies make millions and most don't pay interns or pay them very little. Once intern has proven themselves worthy, they can then apply for a real job and ask for what they think they are worth. Sort of like when college players opt to turn pro.
Agree. And they get a free college education during their internship, so if a pro career doesn't pan out (as is the case with most), they are still set up to be successful in another line of work. We should all be so lucky.

Much of the problem with NIL is that it doesn't account for the fact that for most, their NIL isn't worth anything apart from the college that they are playing for.

You are thinking of Jeremy Bloom.

Agree. And they get a free college education during their internship, so if a pro career doesn't pan out (as is the case with most), they are still set up to be successful in another line of work. We should all be so lucky.

Much of the problem with NIL is that it doesn't account for the fact that for most, their NIL isn't worth anything apart from the college that they are playing for.
Replying to own post (sorry).

The best situation for all involved would be a regulated, mutualistic relationship with oversight among colleges, players, and donors. The problem with this is the colleges are first and foremost educational institutions bound by Title IX. They can't provide benefits to male football and basketball players that are not available to females. But the revenue generated by those programs, especially football is the golden goose that funds non-revenue sports, including virtually all women's sports. I don't see a clear path forward that doesn't get shot down in the courts for violating the rights of one of those groups of student-athletes or the other.

Which is it, are athletes amateurs or interns/employees? If the latter, you can’t insist they behave like athletes and not be able to get jobs or something to supplement what little income they get.

Replying to own post (sorry).

The best situation for all involved would be a regulated, mutualistic relationship with oversight among colleges, players, and donors. The problem with this is the colleges are first and foremost educational institutions bound by Title IX. They can't provide benefits to male football and basketball players that are not available to females. But the revenue generated by those programs, especially football is the golden goose that funds non-revenue sports, including virtually all women's sports. I don't see a clear path forward that doesn't get shot down in the courts for violating the rights of one of those groups of student-athletes or the other.

Which is why, in theory, NIL offered an acceptable compromise for many. Keep the colleges out of it, allow them to maintain that Title IX neutrality and continue to offer non-revenue sports without having to pay athletes. Athletes could then receive compensation via NIL. In practice it turned into pay for play because the NCAA fought it tooth and nail even though everyone knew it was a losing battle, when they could have instead focused on creating rules to govern the new reality.

Mark Emmert may go down in history as the man who killed college athletics as a result.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Which is why, in theory, NIL offered an acceptable compromise for many. Keep the colleges out of it, allow them to maintain that Title IX neutrality and continue to offer non-revenue sports without having to pay athletes. Athletes could then receive compensation via NIL. In practice it turned into pay for play because the NCAA fought it tooth and nail even though everyone knew it was a losing battle, when they could have instead focused on creating rules to govern the new reality.

Mark Emmert may go down in history as the man who killed college athletics as a result.
I don’t blame the NCAA for this. The NCAA fought hard to preserve amateurism in college sports, because they knew any deviation from that model would result in pay for play under the guise of “educational benifits”, “name image likeness” etc. They knew it would be nearly impossible to regulate, and would result in widening inequities between college programs. If anything I blame the 9th circuit and Supreme Court, in particular Brett Kavanaugh. I believe the court made the wrong decision for many reasons too complicated to go into here, but starting with the incorrect notion that Division I college sports are somehow a monopoly with no viable alternatives for 18-22 year olds.

I believe what we’re seeing now is reversible but will likely require things to get worse before enough political capital is built up to do anything about it.

• Love
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I don’t blame the NCAA for this. The NCAA fought hard to preserve amateurism in college sports, because they knew any deviation from that model would result in pay for play under the guise of “educational benifits”, “name image likeness” etc. They knew it would be nearly impossible to regulate, and would result in widening inequities between college programs. If anything I blame the 9th circuit and Supreme Court, in particular Brett Kavanaugh. I believe the court made the wrong decision for many reasons too complicated to go into here, but starting with the incorrect notion that Division I college sports are somehow a monopoly with no viable alternatives for 18-22 year olds.

I believe what we’re seeing now is reversible but will likely require things to get worse before enough political capital is built up to do anything about it.

Well, the NCAA chose to fight in about the worst possible way in front of the Supreme Court. You know it was bad when the case gets decided 9-0 in a court as divided as it is now.

The Florida collective might get sued after trying to back out of this $13 million contract?

200w.gif

Agreed.

Proctor said that Iowa offered more in NIL than Bama did

Anybody who thought NIL was good for college sports had their head up their a$$. Pretty much minor leagues now.

I think this stuff was going on LONG before NIL but it was all under the table and hush hush.

After all, what do you think players like Cam Newton, Reggie Bush, etc (the list goes on and on) ACTUALLY got from boosters?

Now, everything is out in the open. I want to say $13M shocks me but nothing shocks me any more when it comes to what someone will pay to win a championship.

You realize that FCS, D2, and D3 players can collect NIL too. NIL is completely outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA. The Supreme Court ruled on this and the NCAA can do nothing to restrict these kids from making money.

Now, the NCAA can put the hammer down on the portal and eligibility requirements, and they should.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT