ADVERTISEMENT

$13 million dollar Florida NIL deal falls through? Small update from ESPN

You realize that FCS, D2, and D3 players can collect NIL too. NIL is completely outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA. The Supreme Court ruled on this and the NCAA can do nothing to restrict these kids from making money.

Now, the NCAA can put the hammer down on the portal and eligibility requirements, and they should.
I wonder what would happen if they went back to freshman ineligibility.

Companies make millions and most don't pay interns or pay them very little. Once intern has proven themselves worthy, they can then apply for a real job and ask for what they think they are worth. Sort of like when college players opt to turn pro.
Interns at most companies are basically worthless, which is why they aren’t paid or are paid very little. If they were very valuable, they would be paid a lot of money, which is how capitalism works.

College football players are the product that is bringing in millions of dollars. If you are equating this to the corporate world, the best players would be akin to the executives and not interns. How much of the success of a company is dependent on the interns? How much of the football team is dependent on the football players? There is a reason they are getting bigger money now, because the market deems them to have value.

What's interesting is how some of these schools have some VERY RICH alumni/boosters.

ONE GUY wrote a check for $13 million.
No doubt. The really shocking part is that someone finds its SO important to bring in a couple of teenagers out of high school, that he'd do something like that. I assume thats not a write off either. You know what they say, "a fool and his money, are soon parted". I guess some people have so much $$, that they can just freely do stuff like this for their entertainment, committment to their school whatever. Might as well put it in a can and set it on fire. I guess never having had that kind of "disposable income" I don't, nor will I ever understand people doing things like that. Think of all the good, someone could do with that kind of generosity..

You realize that FCS, D2, and D3 players can collect NIL too. NIL is completely outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA. The Supreme Court ruled on this and the NCAA can do nothing to restrict these kids from making money.

Now, the NCAA can put the hammer down on the portal and eligibility requirements, and they should.
Yes they can, it isnt anywhere near the issue it is in D1. If the ncaa doesnt get a grip on this, then the colleges just need to disband from it and create their own governing body and rules.

The only confusing thing about this deal is why the hell you'd do it with a player that is at best, the fifth best QB in the class? While its important to get as many great players as you can in your recruiting class, not sure that the huge dollars thrown around are a responsible use of resources for a collective that probably is going to experience some ups and downs with donations. Its also probably not a healthy thing for the roster - are you really going to give a guy that much money when he probably sits a year or two, then can skip town on you?

I'm still choking over 13 million for a highschool kid. It's just stupid.
I mean, they did renege, and I'm guessing there are some elements to the deal to begin with that made it unlikely that he would be able to collect the full value unless he stuck around for 4 full years and was the starter for the whole period. Details matter - NFL contracts might have a 5 year, 25 million value on paper, but almost always there are fewer years and dollars that are actually guaranteed.

Just read about no opting out of bowl games.
I mean, they did renege, and I'm guessing there are some elements to the deal to begin with that made it unlikely that he would be able to collect the full value unless he stuck around for 4 full years and was the starter for the whole period. Details matter - NFL contracts might have a 5 year, 25 million value on paper, but almost always there are fewer years and dollars that are actually guaranteed.

Just read about no opting out of bowl games.
I know this may sound crazy, but if the contracts are lucrative enough, players may choose to stay in college longer because they are paid more guaranteed money than if they took a chance on the NFL. Oddly, this may reduce the amount of players leaving early for the NFL while improving bowl game participation as you have suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop1971
Proctor said that Iowa offered more in NIL than Bama did
However when he committed to Iowa he said he was offered more from bama. I still think he used the Oregon visit with their deep pockets to leverage more $ from bama.

Speaking of big payouts I know TN shelled out big bucks for their incoming qb. I’ve heard as much as $8 million not sure how accurate.

The only confusing thing about this deal is why the hell you'd do it with a player that is at best, the fifth best QB in the class? While its important to get as many great players as you can in your recruiting class, not sure that the huge dollars thrown around are a responsible use of resources for a collective that probably is going to experience some ups and downs with donations. Its also probably not a healthy thing for the roster - are you really going to give a guy that much money when he probably sits a year or two, then can skip town on you?

Also, you have to think that this wouldn’t be great for the locker room culture. I just can’t believe there wouldn’t be any resentment between players at some point.

Reactions: kceasthawk

Not that I care anymore that is not the case. Bama offered more than Oregon.

What follows contains the quote where he said Iowa was offering more NIL than Alabama.

Here's the link to the USA Today story where he's quoted:

Last edited:
What follows contains the quote where he said Iowa was offering more NIL than Alabama.

So, based on what you are saying, Iowa was offering more than Oregon as well. Unless you are mistaken. ;)

Here's the link to the USA Today story where he's quoted:

Don’t believe him.

Fool me once shame on you, fools me twice it’s shame on me.

He gave his word a couple times and broke it both times.

Liar is a liar

Do what’s best for you but this is a weak back out to save face on him not owning up to HIS OWN COMMITMENT to Iowa twice(original verbal and reassuring after the Oregon visit, allegedly)

JMHO

That contradicted his previous statement. He also said that Alabama didn’t offer that much more NIL than Iowa.

That's after he said he got more nil at Alabama. I think I'll believe he was being honest the first time and didn't like the fallout. I would bet my yearly salary that he got more in nil at Alabama than Iowa's offer.

Do you have a link to where he said these things?

See my post above this one. From everything I saw/read, Iowa offered more in NIL than Alabama.

Maybe he's just a big fat liar. ;)

Lawyers must be loving this NIL crap

Reactions: IAHUNTER
There are people in this world who have far too much money and couple probably wipe their asses every day with $100 bills.

That's definitely not me.

i-dont-believe-you.gif

• Haha
However when he committed to Iowa he said he was offered more from bama.

Wow.

I don't remember that.

But, wow.

I still think he used the Oregon visit with their deep pockets to leverage more $ from bama.

Makes more & more sense now.

Speaking of big payouts I know TN shelled out big bucks for their incoming qb. I’ve heard as much as $8 million not sure how accurate.

Crazy. Is this oil money or?

Here’s the story where Proctor seems to indicate that Alabama was paying slightly more than Iowa:

Proctor - NIL

The actual quote:

“I’m not getting paid that much (more) as Iowa was going to give me,” he said.

Here’s the story where Proctor seems to indicate that Alabama was paying slightly more than Iowa:

Proctor - NIL

The actual quote:

“I’m not getting paid that much (more) as Iowa was going to give me,” he said.
That is an odd quote. It is hard to understand what Proctor meant because the writer assumed what he meant by putting the word ‘more’, in his sentence.

Could the writer have interpreted his comment another way, “I’m not getting paid that much as Iowa was going to give me (more).

While I think Proctor was offered a lot more to go to Alabama, I am not sure that this sentence affirms what I think because of the subjective interpretation of the writer.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
That is an odd quote. It is hard to understand what Proctor meant because the writer assumed what he meant by putting the word ‘more’, in his sentence.

Could the writer have interpreted his comment another way, “I’m not getting paid that much as Iowa was going to give me (more).

While I think Proctor was offered a lot more to go to Alabama, I am not sure that this sentence affirms what I think because of the subjective interpretation of the writer.
Excellent point.

Reactions: Footbol
The problem is there’s no real way to separate the two. Many of these kids are supposedly being paid for their “name image and likeness” but it’s really just a sham. “NIL” is a cover up for pay for play.

College sports need to go back to a true amateurism model. That’s what made it great in the first place. It may take a legal battle to do so, but it can and should be done.
I agree with what you are saying. The problem with the NIL is that it is not governed by anyone and the coaches and schools are not to be part of it. I am so worried that the big money will at some point have these kids throw games and such. I always believe bad people follow money and greed is the root of all evil.

In the article kp repeats that he was making more. He stated that it wasn't a lot more but with his waffling in different interviews it's more like he's busy trying to defend his decision rather than just own up to it. Personally I don't care but changing responses in different interviews seems like excuses and not reasons for going to Alabama. He should just own his choice. We all make decisions and no need to cover up why unless it's personal and u don't want to share it. I'm still working my head around 13 million from Florida for a 4 star qb. I'd be guessing but think kp got a deal for 2.5 to 2.8 million. If true hard to argue with that kind of money.

In the article kp repeats that he was making more. He stated that it wasn't a lot more but with his waffling in different interviews it's more like he's busy trying to defend his decision rather than just own up to it. Personally I don't care but changing responses in different interviews seems like excuses and not reasons for going to Alabama. He should just own his choice. We all make decisions and no need to cover up why unless it's personal and u don't want to share it. I'm still working my head around 13 million from Florida for a 4 star qb. I'd be guessing but think kp got a deal for 2.5 to 2.8 million. If true hard to argue with that kind of money.

I am assuming that the $13M is for 4 years

it's still crazy money to me and I can see why people/fans say that there's no way in hell they'd ever contribute to a collective in order to not only land the teenager for their favorite college but to make that teenager a millionaire

and i can't wait for the first story where someone embezzled from a collective; i am sure that will make donors happy

I am assuming that the $13M is for 4 years

it's still crazy money to me and I can see why people/fans say that there's no way in hell they'd ever contribute to a collective in order to not only land the teenager for their favorite college but to make that teenager a millionaire

and i can't wait for the first story where someone embezzled from a collective; i am sure that will make donors happy
If nothing else, I fully expect a wave of stories the next couple years about NIL offers that fell through, didn’t materialize, etc.

Reactions: Franisdaman
The problem is there’s no real way to separate the two. Many of these kids are supposedly being paid for their “name image and likeness” but it’s really just a sham. “NIL” is a cover up for pay for play.

College sports need to go back to a true amateurism model. That’s what made it great in the first place. It may take a legal battle to do so, but it can and should be done.
I would agree if the coaches,schools, conferences and networks would cut way back on the cash involved.

I wonder what would happen if they went back to freshman ineligibility.
This is the answer. The NCAA has no choice but to rewind the clock:

You sit a year after a transfer
Freshmen ineligible
Uniform, real academic standards

The sport is in chaos on multiple fronts. This is the only way the NCAA and colleges can stabilize it

This is the answer. The NCAA has no choice but to rewind the clock:

You sit a year after a transfer
Freshmen ineligible
Uniform, real academic standards

The sport is in chaos on multiple fronts. This is the only way the NCAA and colleges can stabilize it
Good luck with the freshmen ineligible part

Or kids making bad decisions with their new found wealth.

That goes without saying, they don’t need money to make bad decisions. 🥺

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT