ADVERTISEMENT

$13 million dollar Florida NIL deal falls through? Small update from ESPN

This is the answer. The NCAA has no choice but to rewind the clock:

You sit a year after a transfer
Freshmen ineligible
Uniform, real academic standards

The sport is in chaos on multiple fronts. This is the only way the NCAA and colleges can stabilize it
No Drew Stephen's or Kaleb Johnson? Ouch!

Wonder where CJ will get the cash to pay income tax on a $76K new truck?

Haskell Garrett (DT), Zach Harrison
(DE), C.J. Stroud (QB), Chris Olave (WR), Miyan Williams (RB) and Teradja Mitchell (LB) (Ohio State
Football)

Dealership: Coughlin Chevrolet

Deal brokered by: NIL Management

Vehicles:

Chris Olave – 2021 Chevy Camaro SS
CJ Stroud – 2021 Chevy Z71 Silverado with the SCA Black Widow Package
Haskell Garrett – 2021 Ford F-150 with the SCA Black Widow Package
Zach Harrison – 2020 Chevy Tahoe Limited
Teradja Mitchell – 2021 Chevy Camaro RS
Miyan Williams – 2022 KIA K5

Wonder where CJ will get the cash to pay income tax on a $76K new truck?

Haskell Garrett (DT), Zach Harrison
(DE), C.J. Stroud (QB), Chris Olave (WR), Miyan Williams (RB) and Teradja Mitchell (LB) (Ohio State
Football)

Dealership: Coughlin Chevrolet

Deal brokered by: NIL Management

Vehicles:

Chris Olave – 2021 Chevy Camaro SS
CJ Stroud – 2021 Chevy Z71 Silverado with the SCA Black Widow Package
Haskell Garrett – 2021 Ford F-150 with the SCA Black Widow Package
Zach Harrison – 2020 Chevy Tahoe Limited
Teradja Mitchell – 2021 Chevy Camaro RS
Miyan Williams – 2022 KIA K5
Great question!

I would 'assume' that he would receive additional NIL cash that is sufficient to cover the tax on the vehicle (whether owned or leased) and the tax on the cash received.

However, I am not a tax expert.

Reactions: Torg
Great question!

I would 'assume' that he would receive additional NIL cash that is sufficient to cover the tax on the vehicle (whether owned or leased) and the tax on the cash received.

However, I am not a tax expert.
I’m guessing that the vehicles probably are on some sort of loaner/lease deal which terminates when they leave Ohio State - which leaves them only on the hook for a small tax bill for whatever was the monthly/yearly value of the payments rather than the full retail value of a car.

How many portal kids are left with no scholarship at all?
I'm not sure how accurate or up to date this is, but On3 reports that 1,846 entered the portal, 934 are now committed and 44 have withdrawn from the portal. So ~868 football athletes without a place to call home. There may be many of these athletes who are now committed, but as a walk-on with no scholarship promised.

• Wow
Reactions: Max_Rebo
I'm not sure how accurate or up to date this is, but On3 reports that 1,846 entered the portal, 934 are now committed and 44 have withdrawn from the portal. So ~868 football athletes without a place to call home. There may be many of these athletes who are now committed, but as a walk-on with no scholarship promised.
That's crazy to think that hundreds of student-athletes could be basically throwing away a free college education.

This is related to one of the biggest things that pisses me off in the ongoing NIL/paying college players discussion -- the devaluing of the full-ride college scholarship. When you think about the actual cost of tuition and room & board, the increased lifetime earnings that come with a college degree, and the ability to live your 20s without any college debt, the value of a full-ride scholarship is tremendous. And then you have pundits out there, from Jbo to Jay Bilas, running around talking like a college scholarship is virtually nothing.

What it leads to is hundreds of kids throwing it away. I feel sorry for them.

Maybe. Fair point.

But they've been misled into thinking the scholarship doesn't matter and holds no value.
I am going to have to politely disagree.

They make their own decisions. It is up to them to decide whether their college education provides them value and how much.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
I am going to have to politely disagree.

They make their own decisions. It is up to them to decide whether their college education provides them value and how much.
As I think more about it, I think you have a completely reasonable point, as did @HawkMachine above.

That said, I still lament the culture that has been created by the national sports punditry, that disregards the value of the college scholarship.

Heres ? I had. So for players like Padilla or May or any other who hasn’t found a new school. Are they still on scholarship and take classes for the spring at Iowa? Im curious wonder if some schools say adios and can pull it before classes restart.

I know for people like Padilla a moot point who have graduated but guys like may only 1 semester competed. Because if not I was thinking how many kids do this and how many go home for a semester and do nothing.

I'm still choking over 13 million for a highschool kid. It's just stupid.

I mean.... I can offer a kid 13 million and then after they sign with Iowa say...

whoops GIF

Also, you have to think that this wouldn’t be great for the locker room culture. I just can’t believe there wouldn’t be any resentment between players at some point.
Have said the same thing all along. There's no way there won't be locker room issues when the Lineman is making peanuts and he's blocking for the $8 mil QB, and dude throws a pick and loses the game.

Maybe. Fair point.

But they've been misled into thinking the scholarship doesn't matter and holds no value.
ALL of our lives and what we accomplish comes down to a direct reflection of the choices we make. They are just as much responsible for their decisions as you or I are for ours. Time they learn that lesson......

Heres ? I had. So for players like Padilla or May or any other who hasn’t found a new school. Are they still on scholarship and take classes for the spring at Iowa? Im curious wonder if some schools say adios and can pull it before classes restart.

I know for people like Padilla a moot point who have graduated but guys like may only 1 semester competed. Because if not I was thinking how many kids do this and how many go home for a semester and do nothing.
The instant they enter the portal they have rest of semester on scholarship, but coach/staff/school can remove them from all team stuff at any point after they enter the portal.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT