ADVERTISEMENT

130 5*’s and 870 4*’s from ‘16-‘19. Our haul? 1 5* and 3 4*s. Our recruiting is crap.

Roy L Fuchs

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2012
Our offensive design and scheme is archaic and a bonafide shyt show, but only getting 3 4* recruits out of 870 over 4 years is unbelievably poor recruiting. We need a talent upgrade across the board if we really want to battle for Big Ten championships. Of course, that means we need to find more coaches with a recruiting pulse.

Our offensive design and scheme is archaic and a bonafide shyt show, but only getting 3 4* recruits out of 870 over 4 years is unbelievably poor recruiting. We need a talent upgrade across the board if we really want to battle for Big Ten championships. Of course, that means we need to find more coaches with a recruiting pulse.
This is is 90% of Iowa’s problem... right now Purdue, Indiana, and Minnesota are out-recruiting the hawks.. let alone the top of the big east division.

I think KF is too stubborn to admit his zone scheme and OL development for that scheme is not working like it once did. Everyone plays everybody within 10 yards of the LOS. Run a zone stretch play and the D just shoots gaps and it’s a yardage loss.

Wisconsin has it right if you want to play a physical brand of smash mouth which is not zone. KF is too proud and too far down his career path to adapt now.

I think KF is too stubborn to admit his zone scheme and OL development for that scheme is not working like it once did. Everyone plays everybody within 10 yards of the LOS. Run a zone stretch play and the D just shoots gaps and it’s a yardage loss.

Wisconsin has it right if you want to play a physical brand of smash mouth which is not zone. KF is too proud and too far down his career path to adapt now.

I think this is probably most accurate.

Iowa has struggled with the offensive line for quite a while now. And while I'm not an offensive line expert, it seems a lot of the problem is schematic given the NFL talent on the OL Iowa continues to produce. I would definitely like to see Iowa move to a more Wisconsin style smash mouth approach.

Recruiting has always been subpar with KF outside of one or two years. That nice run Iowa had between 2002-2004 was accomplished by teams that were not littered with 4 and 5 star talent. People seem to forget that.

There is talent on this team in terms of skill position players. I think a lot of it is schematic and coaching.

Iowa has struggled with the offensive line for quite a while now. And while I'm not an offensive line expert, it seems a lot of the problem is schematic given the NFL talent on the OL Iowa continues to produce. I would definitely like to see Iowa move to a more Wisconsin style smash mouth approach.

Recruiting has always been subpar with KF outside of one or two years. That nice run Iowa had between 2002-2004 was accomplished by teams that were not littered with 4 and 5 star talent. People seem to forget that.

There is talent on this team in terms of skill position players. I think a lot of it is schematic and coaching.

Long standing recruiting issues are even more of a reason to copy Wisconsin’s massive lineman, maul you approach.

The have a formula for size. Rarely will anyone on their 2-3 deep OL be under 6/4 to 6/5 300+ pounds. There centers will be as big often as our tackles. Wisky won’t typically be as good in the pass pro game and less balanced overall but who cares? They freaking win bigger most years.

This is is 90% of Iowa’s problem... right now Purdue, Indiana, and Minnesota are out-recruiting the hawks.. let alone the top of the big east division.
Both fball and b-ball need serious recruiters on the staff. Football recruiting has been poor but b-ball recruiting has been worse. B-ball is a friggin’ white nightmare. No way they finish in the top half of the league.

Reactions: FrankGahllager1
The georgia player of the year( what they have 30 or 40 4* players?) is a 3* somehow. We have two TE that are good enough to average more than 30 offers and many big time offers, yet are 3* according to the people who aren't knowledgeable enough to coach them ;). Who really gives a shit?

Yes recruiting can always be better(and should be) but lets quit looking at nothing but ratings that are probably by folks not good enough to coach kids even at a small school.

I would like to see our coaches offer more elite talent, but lets not just look at some bs ratings.....

rivals ranks 2 of the 23 minny recruits as more than a mid 3*. IN has ONE. PU has more 4* per rivals, but pretty much even with us :confused:

at least per the bs rankings....

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
The georgia player of the year( what they have 30 or 40 4* players?) is a 3* somehow. We have two TE that are good enough to average more than 30 offers and many big time offers, yet are 3* according to the people who aren't knowledgeable enough to coach them ;). Who really gives a shit?

Yes recruiting can always be better(and should be) but lets quit looking at nothing but ratings that are probably by folks not good enough to coach kids even at a small school.

I would like to see our coaches offer more elite talent, but lets not just look at some bs ratings.....
Preach it

Totally agree that we need better recruiters. Fully understand the "looking for kids that fit our system" but you have to think there are more four star guys that fit our system.

KF's staff has consistently produced NFL players, especially in the lines, the TEs and D Backs. We produced Mackey winners, Outland Winners, Why couldn't you get at least more upper level recruits at the positions where Iowa is a reliable path to the NFL at a decent school and a fun campus? Bowl games more or less every year in desirable locations for a New Years vacation.

The comparison with basketball is groundless. The football program has far better national cache than boys BBall yet typically signs a far lower recruiting resume/profile player. As I always predicate a recruiting discussion I am applying ESPN ratings so that I'm not cherry picking the recruiting service and getting a consistent metric from year to year as well.

Since the Woody Mikey G Ute senior year Mc C has brought in TC, Luka, P McC, Joe W and C Mc C-all ESPN top 100 4*s and Jordan, Ike Moss and Joe T as ESPN 4*s in the "next 20 " guys that are 4*s but not top 100 (roughly 20 such players per season). The other guys like Peter Jok and CJ Fredrick were state players of the year. I haven't looked through the same years in football but I'm guessing, with 20 schollies a year, football has recruited fewer than 8 ESPN 4*s guys across the last four seasons that McC recruited with the guys above.

Other schools probably do cheat but that's not the whole reason or maybe even a significant reason. I think our head coach prefers working with projects and that is subconsciously impairing recruiting. Obviously no one is intentionally failing to sign kids that want to sign with Iowa (other than Steve Alford) that are better than the guys actually signed and we produce a pretty good record every year (e.g.trade places with the Gophers, NW, Purdue, Indiana anyone?) and do well with the recruits we do get.

The "stars" system isn't a perfect predictor of success but it is important for two reasons. First, odds are a higher rated player is a better player. Its a simple matter of probability. Second, other kids and the media are impressed by those "stars" and are more drawn to schools that sign other "star" players.

Ratings aren't everything, and God knows Iowa recruits are consistently underrated (Goodson not a 4*?) but ratings are important.

The "stars" system isn't a perfect predictor of success but it is important for two reasons. First, odds are a higher rated player is a better player. Its a simple matter of probability. Second, other kids and the media are impressed by those "stars" and are more drawn to schools that sign other "star" players.

Ratings aren't everything, and God knows Iowa recruits are consistently underrated (Goodson not a 4*?) but ratings are important.
I'd say it is safe to assume a "6.0" 4* kid is likely more talented than a "5.5" 3*, but if you're comparing a 5.7 to 5.8, I doubt it means much at all. obviously these are just rivals rankings.

I'd say it is safe to assume a "6.0" 4* kid is likely more talented than a "5.5" 3*, but if you're comparing a 5.7 to 5.8, I doubt it means much at all. obviously these are just rivals rankings.

Sure, the closer the ranking the less difference it makes. I always have used ESPN but the question is the same, why aren't we getting more 6.0 4* recruits especially at the positions where we are reliably sending players to the NFL? How could Iowa not sign 2 or 3 4* lineman every year?

Sure, the closer the ranking the less difference it makes. I always have used ESPN but the question is the same, why aren't we getting more 6.0 4* recruits especially at the positions where we are reliably sending players to the NFL? How could Iowa not sign 2 or 3 4* lineman every year?
Wish I could answer that, but maybe glad I can't :).

People you follow click bait recruiting sites are crap

This, and how!!

Why would you risk your chances of making the most of your career in a program that is archaic, uncreative and predictable, one that can diminish your chances of looking like you know what you’re doing?

Think about it... right now Wirfs and Jackson look like ass because opposing Ds are teeing off due to said archaic, predictable and uncreative offensive scheming. If my kid was an OL prospect w/anything 3* or above there is no way I’d let him go to Iowa with this current staff.

BS, Let me know when Purdue, Indiana, and Minnesota ever finish ranked in the Top 10, or even the Top 20. Maybe then I might listen to your nonsense.

Reactions: EKHawk
You are putting way to much stock in mostly worthless recruiting rankings.

How many 4 star kids have the Huskers recruited and what is there record against the Hawks over this timeframe?

One thing about that, though, is that that was very early in terms of the sophistication of online recruiting. There are fewer "diamonds in the rough" out there now than there used to be. Teams have recruiting coordinators now and I don't think they really did back then. That was 15 years ago, the Internet has grown up, and other teams figured out the things where Kirk Ferentz's staff possibly had an edge in the early 2000s.

I agree. The defense is doing just fine with talent and this is the best group of Iowa WRs in a long time. Tyler Goodson is more the type of running back Iowa should be getting more regularly, but he's here now. The issue really seems to b e the offensive line, whether scheme or body type or something. Also, having a mobile QB is almost a necessity in this era unless team is absolutely loaded on the offensive line--like Wisconsin has been. Then again, look at the RBs Wisconsin routinely gets, too. Iowa needs to get better, but they're not that far off in some ways. But the o-line, jeez, why can't they find any guards with some meat on them and some mean in them?

Reactions: And1Hawk
Long standing recruiting issues are even more of a reason to copy Wisconsin’s massive lineman, maul you approach.

The have a formula for size. Rarely will anyone on their 2-3 deep OL be under 6/4 to 6/5 300+ pounds. There centers will be as big often as our tackles. Wisky won’t typically be as good in the pass pro game and less balanced overall but who cares? They freaking win bigger most years.

Wisconsin is an anomoly.. they basically play 4 Giant 325+ guards.. the are effective right until they get into a score-fest with a good team.. at that point their OT's are usually a bit slow and their QB's start suffering. 85% of the time it's not an issue, they are ahead on the scoreboard and ahead of the sticks so they don't sweat it.

Wisconsin is built to win the Big West.. not a college playoff. Their issues only show up vs PSU/Iowa/OSU/UM and MSU.. BYU sacked the hell out of them last year as well.

We are typically low 40s in recruiting. If Hawks could bounce this to even low 30s for a couple years that would be yuuuuge.

Why would you risk your chances of making the most of your career in a program that is archaic, uncreative and predictable, one that can diminish your chances of looking like you know what you’re doing?

Think about it... right now Wirfs and Jackson look like ass because opposing Ds are teeing off due to said archaic, predictable and uncreative offensive scheming. If my kid was an OL prospect w/anything 3* or above there is no way I’d let him go to Iowa with this current staff.

There are currently 11 Iowa offensive linemen on active rosters in the NFL that would probably disagree with you. Actually ten and a long snapper, kind of a specialty lineman.

The rest of the Big Ten West has a total of 19 offensive linemen in the NFL, 7 from Wisconsin. So Iowa remains the most likely avenue for future NFL O linemen of all our primary recruiting rivals.

For perspective, Iowa State has a total of 9 players in all positions.

We're getting killed at the skill positions. Three tight ends and no receivers or running backs.

Both fball and b-ball need serious recruiters on the staff. Football recruiting has been poor but b-ball recruiting has been worse. B-ball is a friggin’ white nightmare. No way they finish in the top half of the league.
Lol.
BB recruiting has been very good. Just take a look at how many guys FM went after have done very , very well.
The issue is getting them on the team.
I believe both FB and BB handcuff themselves with the level of character and type of person they will sign.
I believe the holier than thou attitude of the Iowa Admin has a lot to do with it.
I know that ISU is not and has not held themselves to any where near the standards that Iowa does.

Lol.
BB recruiting has been very good. Just take a look at how many guys FM went after have done very , very well.
The issue is getting them on the team.
I believe both FB and BB handcuff themselves with the level of character and type of person they will sign.
I believe the holier than thou attitude of the Iowa Admin has a lot to do with it.
I know that ISU is not and has not held themselves to any where near the standards that Iowa does.

You said a mouthful brother. Most fans, indeed most people in Iowa, do not realize how very hostile the U Admin is towards men's athletics and male athletes in general. We are moving into a very strange new world my friends.

I believe Iowa has a good team most years. I also think that the coaching staff underperforms almost every year. Kirk's early staff had "it", they have since lost "it".

Also don't dog on Nebraska for wanting more than 9 wins a year and falling short with new coaching hires. Nebraska is striving to be better, Iowa seems content with their yearly results.

All in all, it's all just entertainment, a distraction from everyday life.

Reactions: Hitmanfan
I have never understood the boner many on here have for Wisconsin.

The multiple boners are probably due to a top 10 winning % over the last 20 years, finishing Top 25 14 out of those 20 years, including 5 top 10 finishes, 4 B1G championships, 11-8 in bowl games, including wins in the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Cotton Bowl, and are 11-7 against our Hawkeyes, including 6 out of the last 7 over that timeframe.

I think that Kirk’s method of developing players is coming under siege as more players have decided to declare early for the NFL draft - and that has hurt us immensely with the four early entrants from last year and the increases over time.

The numbers of high talent prospects are actually increasing under Kirk with potentially 4 or 5 1st rounders in just 2 years, but all of them will potentially leave years on the table (some multiple) as they declare. And with lower level 3rd day guys now leaving early, that’s a recipe for a huge roster hole.

Certainly G/C is the biggest weakness, but having an elite guy at Cash in Hooker, another elite DL to pair with Eppy, and two elite TE’s would make us a much harder team to gameplan for and beat than what we’ve put out there this season.

Kirk is gonna have to figure out how to remedy this or we’ll slip down a rung or two ultimately.

The multiple boners are probably due to a top 10 winning % over the last 20 years, finishing Top 25 14 out of those 20 years, including 5 top 10 finishes, 4 B1G championships, 11-8 in bowl games, including wins in the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Cotton Bowl, and are 11-7 against our Hawkeyes, including 6 out of the last 7 over that timeframe.

So national championships, or title game appearances, or even an appearance in the playoffs are not the measure we are using? Those B1G championships? 1999, 2010 (co champs), 2011, and 2012 when they finished 4-4 in B1G play and both Penn State and Ohio State were ineligible. Hawkeye beaters? Maybe. World beaters? Not so much. Waste your wood on Wisconsin (march right down the field) but at my age I will be saving mine for Mrs SoFla-Hawkeye and Halle Berry in the event either of them should express any interest.

Most of these guys also went to schools in their state or neighboring their state. Iowa doesn't have that opportunity.

If Iowa would have had a QB over the last 3 years they could have depended on to win games, nobody would be bringing this up. Iowa except one year never gets a lot of 4 stars and still develops a lot of talent. A dependable QB would have given Iowa a Western Division crown last year and would have given them a shot this year.

So national championships, or title game appearances, or even an appearance in the playoffs are not the measure we are using? Those B1G championships? 1999, 2010 (co champs), 2011, and 2012 when they finished 4-4 in B1G play and both Penn State and Ohio State were ineligible. Hawkeye beaters? Maybe. World beaters? Not so much. Waste your wood on Wisconsin (march right down the field) but at my age I will be saving mine for Mrs SoFla-Hawkeye and Halle Berry in the event either of them should express any interest.

Please name all the non power schools that have competed for a National Championship in the last 25 years. And we saw what happened when a non power team made the CFP. Your bar is probably set a touch high if those are the standards of a “successful” program.

Please name all the non power schools that have competed for a National Championship in the last 25 years. And we saw what happened when a non power team made the CFP. Your bar is probably set a touch high if those are the standards of a “successful” program.

Not what I am saying at all. I am saying that you are either playing for trophies or t-shirts. And Wisconsin is playing for t-shirts just like us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT