ADVERTISEMENT

#158 Pick: Daviyon Nixon (Carolina). On Jan 7, 2021, McShay had him #22 in the Draft. Last Yr's #22 Pick Earned $7.7M in Yr 1. The #158 Pick? $826,977

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
May 14 Update:

Daviyon has signed a 4 year, $3,798,548 contract with the Carolina Panthers, including a $318,548 signing bonus (guaranteed).

In 2021, Nixon is scheduled to earn $978,548 (base salary of $660,000 and the signing bonus of $318,548).

Scheduled earnings:

2021: $978,548
2022: $825,000
2023: $940,000
2024: $1,055,000
Total: $3,798,548

Original Post:

Daviyon Nixon is about to become a very rich man.

The #22 pick last year was Justin Jefferson, who went to the Vikings.

Justin Jefferson signed a 4 year, $13,122,805 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $7,103,856 signing bonus, $13,122,805 guaranteed.

Terms of that Deal:
Year 1: $7,713,856 ($7,103,856 signing bonus)
Year 2: $1,206,491
Year 3: $1,802,982

Year 4: $2,399,473
TOTAL: $13,122,802
================

Last edited:
I have seen another Mock draft where my Dolphins were able to pick him up early in the 2nd round, which I would love as a Dolphin fan... but he won’t last that long.

We've all seen how much a player's stock rises, or falls, based on combine performance. Like it or not, NFL personnel managers love the numbers that event generates.
Hopefully he blows his position group out of the water with his speed and agility at his size.

We've all seen how much a player's stock rises, or falls, based on combine performance. Like it or not, NFL personnel managers love the numbers that event generates.
Hopefully he blows his position group out of the water with his speed and agility at his size.
Will there be a combine with testing this year? The virus still a mess, and haven't yet seen a list of invitees......

Unless you are Tristan Wirfs. His workouts alone should have netted him the top spot in the tackles drafted. He was the highest rated rookie OT by PFF, just an absolute joke.

Reactions: bowlhawk
Will there be a combine with testing this year? The virus still a mess, and haven't yet seen a list of invitees......

Haven’t seen anything, but there will be something. My guess would be they split them up into positional groups and have them quarantine/test before attending. More would opt out than normal, but I can’t see the NFL just abandoning it (based on how they were able to get through the season and how important it is to the teams)

Sources: NFL to decide on fate of 2021 scouting combine this week

The NFL's annual scouting combine, used for teams to gather valuable information about the top prospects in the upcoming draft, is questionable for this winter, with its status expected to be decided in the next week, according to league sources.

After weeks of discussion, the NFL plans to decide at last whether there will be a combine this year and what form it will take.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, sources said the league has debated numerous ways to approach it: have it in a reduced form in Indianapolis in February, push it back to April, or simply just use regional combines that would eliminate the need for many of the prospects to travel to Indianapolis, as they regularly have done for the past three-plus decades.

But the NFL offseason calendar is largely contingent upon the first event in it: the combine, which has occurred each winter in Indianapolis since 1987. If the combine is pushed back, it could impact the timing of when free agency would begin as well as the dates of the draft.

The other complication now is that the NCAA announced last week that it is staging the majority of the 2021 men's basketball tournament in Indianapolis from March 14 through April 5, creating challenges for the NFL if it had any plans to push back the combine, which usually begins in late February.

The NFL and combine officials still are investigating alternatives, but there are so many issues that few ever envisioned, as has been the case with every event on the league's calendar. But the combine as people knew it will not take place. Questions loom on whether it will be held, how downsized it will be, when it will be held -- and all are likely to be answered in the coming days.

Reactions: kceasthawk
The other complication now is that the NCAA announced last week that it is staging the majority of the 2021 men's basketball tournament in Indianapolis from March 14 through April 5, creating challenges for the NFL if it had any plans to push back the combine, which usually begins in late February.

Indianapolis needs to work with the NFL Combine and NCAA Tournament to setup an athlete pipeline running from late January to early April.

Will be fully tuned in at 6:00 with a strong one ready to see the man get paid!

Pick him up Packers! (Lord knows we need some good news)

Reactions: Franisdaman
Surprises me a little.
Surprises me a lot! But looks like a potentially really good situation for him. Cowboys have a great offense, sketchy defense. Good opportunity for him to lock down a DE spot and be part of an up and coming team

Surprises me a lot! But looks like a potentially really good situation for him. Cowboys have a great offense, sketchy defense. Good opportunity for him to lock down a DE spot and be part of an up and coming team
Well, the last time I spoke with Jerry, I suggested he should draft more Hawkeyes.

has to be disapointing to leave early and fall out of top 100.
Not really sure how much he could have boosted his stock from returning though. Won Big Ten DPOY, led Big Ten in TFL, tied for Big Ten lead in sacks, plus had that ridiculous pick 6. Only thing I can think of is a small sample size in a shortened season + maybe didn’t test as well as NFL teams hoped at pro day?

Reactions: Franisdaman
Not really sure how much he could have boosted his stock from returning though. Won Big Ten DPOY, led Big Ten in TFL, tied for Big Ten lead in sacks, plus had that ridiculous pick 6. Only thing I can think of is a small sample size in a shortened season + maybe didn’t test as well as NFL teams hoped at pro day?

great points. i feel bad for him. it has to be a huge disappointment to him and his family.

You seriously don’t know why his draft stock fell? It doesn’t have anything to do with on the field performance. Let’s just say there were/are character concerns......

Whoa. I just had a revelation.

D. Nixon is the No. 7 ranked DT according to ESPN. Up to this point there have been 5 DTs drafted in the first 3 rounds. He is presently the second best remaining DT on their list.

So if my math is correct, the fact he’s still on the board is merely because DT hasn’t been a huge concern thus far.

Sarcasm aside: He shined in a shortened 8-game season and there was no NFL Combine. So his performance might leave some thinking it was a fluke. While it seemed his stock would never be higher, hindsight shows he should’ve returned and dominated over a full senior season. But somebody is going to get a helluva football player when his name is called.

Hmmm I’m not going to go into specifics since charges were never filed but there was an on campus incident.
A number of years back ... there was an impressive DT from Mississippi State who had legit off-field issues in his background ... and the dude still landed in the 1st round.

The off-field issues might play some role in things ... however, the greater issue may simply deal with consistency.

Another issue ... each of the prior 2 drafts went pretty DT heavy (particularly in the early rounds). Essentially twice the # of DTs selected in the first 3 rounds in either the '19 or '20 draft ... as compared to the '21 draft.

It seems like the DL emphasis for many teams centers more around trying to upgrade their edge rusher.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT