ADVERTISEMENT

#158 Pick: Daviyon Nixon (Carolina). On Jan 7, 2021, McShay had him #22 in the Draft. Last Yr's #22 Pick Earned $7.7M in Yr 1. The #158 Pick? $826,977

Is there a real story going around on Nixon? I have only read scout saying that he took plays off and his pro day was a disappointment.

2018??? Is this a fricking joke? Good grief - did he murder someone? This guy is a player!

Very happy for Daviyon and ISM getting drafted. ISM went about where I thought he would Daviyon would hear his named called sooner. Oh well, Carolina got a steal.

His pro day was meh and he had only 8 games as a starter. The film he has is very good, I think the NFL GMs are concerned about the small sample size.

Well ... for the Iowa coaches ... maybe Daviyon's story will be one that serves as a cautionary tale for their guys. Be wary about believing the hype. Some thought he could land in the 1st round ... and he ended up in the 6th. Holy shit ... that's crazy! Easily a case where he LOST money by leaving early!

Reactions: dean_oliver222
was this recent or?

i am drawing a blank....
If I HAD to guess, remember when he was in the portal? I think that was when potential "character" issues occurred, maybe.

But, I'm not actually buying that. JFC, look at drafts for the past 20 years. And people come on here "whispering" about "character concerns", then play the, "I really can't divulge", crap?

Absurd. Fu**ing absurd.

Reactions: rchawk
If I HAD to guess, remember when he was in the portal? I think that was when potential "character" issues occurred, maybe.

But, I'm not actually buying that. JFC, look at drafts for the past 20 years. And people come on here "whispering" about "character concerns", then play the, "I really can't divulge", crap?

Absurd. Fu**ing absurd.
You’re first paragraph is accurate.

Not really sure how much he could have boosted his stock from returning though. Won Big Ten DPOY, led Big Ten in TFL, tied for Big Ten lead in sacks, plus had that ridiculous pick 6. Only thing I can think of is a small sample size in a shortened season + maybe didn’t test as well as NFL teams hoped at pro day?
ya Im not questioning anything. Just saying it has to be disapointing. I feel bad for the kid.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I think if he comes back and does whatever he did last year he’s top 15 next draft. That’s a ton of money. But if he keeps doing what he did last year and stays healthy the money will come regardless.

As a Panthers fan I’m thrilled to get Nixon. Especially in the 5th round - he’s a total steal for the Cats. I was shocked to see him still on the board that long.

I’m also an NC State fan and we had a DT taken in the 3rd round by the Lions (Alim McNeil). To me Nixon and McNeil are extremely similar players to one another. So while I’m happy we could get him, I’m sorry for Nixon that he fell that far. But once he’s proven himself, as I’m sure he will, the money will still be there. I look forward to watching him wreak havoc for years to come.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Not a good look for Smith, IMO - especially with the timing. Upset because you didn’t get drafted. Stats or college awards have nothing to do with translation to NFL or where you get drafted. Saw that this year again. If he wanted more opportunities he could have come back or transferred elsewhere. Instead he thought he was ready, but apparently NFL teams disagreed. I’m sure it will be Iowa’s fault when he only lasts two weeks on an NFL roster too

Reactions: Smokinthereiff
Not a good look for Smith, IMO - especially with the timing. Upset because you didn’t get drafted. Stats or college awards have nothing to do with translation to NFL or where you get drafted. Saw that this year again. If he wanted more opportunities he could have come back or transferred elsewhere. Instead he thought he was ready, but apparently NFL teams disagreed. I’m sure it will be Iowa’s fault when he only lasts two weeks on an NFL roster too
Guess he should have gone to Arkansas St or Samford.

Agreed, this is sour grapes and weak sauce. If he could get separation he’d be in the league but he doesn’t have that burst.

He should listen to me when I say put 20-30 LBs On and play TE. Capable/willing blocker at WR, good hands/athleticism. He’d be a nightmare for a LB or safety to handle.

Im looking forward to the Iowa/BF offensive look/looks this year. Think plenty of versatility and fluid athletes to get the ball in space and create headaches for D coordinators.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Agreed, this is sour grapes and weak sauce. If he could get separation he’d be in the league but he doesn’t have that burst.

He should listen to me when I say put 20-30 LBs On and play TE. Capable/willing blocker at WR, good hands/athleticism. He’d be a nightmare for a LB or safety to handle.

Im looking forward to the Iowa/BF offensive look/looks this year. Think plenty of versatility and fluid athletes to get the ball in space and create headaches for D coordinators.
Seems like much of last years results were a direct correlation to Petras' accuracy, not Smith IMO. Petty take by Smith.

Seems like his crappy pro day, no combine, and the only year he started no scouts could attend games led GMs to go with safer bets. Nixon should have stayed another year. It's amazing how many guys declare early and get drafted on day 3 or have to go the undrafted free agent route. He rolled the dice and lost. Oh well.

Seems like his crappy pro day, no combine, and the only year he started no scouts could attend games led GMs to go with safer bets. Nixon should have stayed another year. It's amazing how many guys declare early and get drafted on day 3 or have to go the undrafted free agent route. He rolled the dice and lost. Oh well.

The #158 pick last year was Virginia CB Bryce Hall, who was selected by the NY Jets. In year 1 he earned $826,977.

As a reminder, on Jan 7, 2021, Todd McShay had him going #22 in the NFL Draft. Last Year's #22 Pick Earned $7.7M in Year 1.

That's almost a $7M difference and, as you suggest, perhaps a $7M mistake.

Reactions: Eternal Return
The #158 pick last year was Virginia CB Bryce Hall, who was selected by the NY Jets. In year 1 he earned $826,977.

As a reminder, on Jan 7, 2021, Todd McShay had him going #22 in the NFL Draft. Last Year's #22 Pick Earned $7.7M in Year 1.

That's almost a $7M difference and, as you suggest, perhaps a $7M mistake.

Yeah. Guys like McShay did Nixon no favors. How do you pass up going pro if you're projected to be drafted in the first or second round? That's tough for most guys to resist. Understandably.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Yeah. Guys like McShay did Nixon no favors. How do you pass up going pro if you're projected to be drafted in the first or second round? That's tough for most guys to resist. Understandably.
As we know, KF gets info/feedback from the NFL on players and then he sits down with the player/his family to discuss where they might get drafted.

Makes you wonder if that feedback had a 5th/6th round projection (surely not?) & Nixon still decided to roll the dice.

Reactions: Eternal Return
Daviyon has signed a 4 year, $3,798,548 contract with the Carolina Panthers, including a $318,548 signing bonus (guaranteed).

In 2021, Nixon is scheduled to earn $978,548 (base salary of $660,000 and the signing bonus of $318,548).

Scheduled earnings:

2021: $978,548
2022: $825,000
2023: $940,000
2024: $1,055,000
Total: $3,798,548

E1YcIEnXsAUtElb

E1YcIEqWYAM16C3

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT