ADVERTISEMENT

17-22 in 2pt FGA = Dickinson + Diabate. When will Fran recognize the need for interior defense (and rebounding) ?

I read that we were 12/24 from inside 3 ft, both dunks and layups. Held our own on the boards.

Mostly held Hunter in check but left Diabate open to cause havoc because of all the attention we gave Hunter.

The missed shots from point blank range and take better care of the ball killed us.

Pats dunk was very difficult. He tried to dunk over Dickinson, have a point on that one.

Keegan should have flushed both of his easily.
I seem to recall contact on both of Murray’s dunk attempt, both Of which caused him to land awkwardly, one caused the 2nd cramp. I’d have to review the tape, but I’d posit there was more contact than no contact and he just ‘wanged‘ the dunk

BT….recall who coined that term…”he wanged it…!”

a. Game was lost right here. Poor poor defense vs MI Bigs. (If Iowa holds them to even 60% we win.)
b. Lost rebounding again, ( in spite of plus offensive rebounds)

plus player deployment gaffes
c. Ogundele held his own in 4 minute play, stopping Dickinson on a drive, grabbing a high contested rebound, but saw zero 2H minutes.
d. Kris limited to 13 minutes (even tough he is by far 2nd best player on team)

thinking Fran will change anything this season is definition of insanity…
Poor shooting cost the game....

Reactions: KcTo
A. MI missed 6 FT, IOWA missed 7, IOWA needs to makes 80% (18-20) to tie. if your saying, yes, IOWA needs to make 85% of FT to win, but that’s hardly reasonable, if Iowa makes 75%, we still lose. Or 78z like MI, we still lose. So I would reject that thought out of hand.
B. Missed dunks and layups. i didn’t see any wide open dunks or layups. I saw PMac trying to dunk over 7 1 Dickinson defending the rim, that is valiant , but hardly a given. I saw Keegan miss 2 dunks, but he ended up on the floor each time as he was agin trying to dunk over a rim protector. That’s not easy and not a given, and anything less than a dunk attempt gets swatted away. So ‘missing dunks and layups‘ in the grill of 7 1” and landing 6 11” guys is not a given And think I will dismiss that claim as a given,
C. To reiterate, Kris is picking up some fouls defending the post against guys who out weight him, out size him, and is going to pick up fouls. In my view, you don’t put your 2nd best player (by a substantial margin) and expose him to fouls, and then lose his extended production, 13m 8 points. What if is was 26 minutes and 16 points? Or 22 minutes and 14 points? That is also the margin of victory ‘Kris Murray’s missed production owing to being played out of position‘
D. 17-22. How we can not say That giving up 80% from the paint on 22 shots is not the main statistical outlier here and going to contribute directly to the 5 point loss is overlooking the obvious.
E. making 1 change in the starting lineup is not what we are talking about here. We are talking about maximizing your best players time in the court, and vastly improving your defense in the paint. Playing small,lineups, and/or playing small lineups errantly, and then getting abused in the paint, is what we are saying must change.
There's no way to know how making a few more ft would change the last minute or two....

Just so I understand

IOWA is # 6 nationally in offensive efficiency
IOWA is #122 in defesne
michigans Bigs go 17-23 in the paint
michigan out rebounds Iowa
and it is iowas shooting that’s the problem?

Both can be true. Michigans bigs killed us for sure, but to some extent that had to be expected given the size advantage they had, albeit to a greater extent than I’d expected admittedly.

At the same time, had we made even half of the bunnies up close we probably win the game.

Both can be true. Michigans bigs killed us for sure, but to some extent that had to be expected given the size advantage they had, albeit to a greater extent than I’d expected admittedly.

At the same time, had we made even half of the bunnies up close we probably win the game.
Or. If we stopped some. Which is why the offensive and defensive ranks matter.

Just so I understand

IOWA is # 6 nationally in offensive efficiency
IOWA is #122 in defesne
michigans Bigs go 17-23 in the paint
michigan out rebounds Iowa
and it is iowas shooting that’s the problem?
How many games you think we're gonna win shooting 65 from ft and 22 from 3?

Overall mi shot 50 from the field and 20 from 3. Usually we're gonna win when our opponents put up numbers like that...

Bunnies like when 7 1” Guys rim protect and only option is to dunk or get it swatted?

a bunnie is 99% , like a tap in putt.

there was no uncontested easy shots missed. most were contested, albeit in various forms in contestation

How many games you think we're gonna win shooting 65 from ft and 22 from 3?

Overall mi shot 50 from the field and 20 from 3. Usually we're gonna win when our opponents put up numbers like that...
If you hold their bigs to just 70% from 2 pt range vs 77%, IOWA wins this, even shooting dismally as you point out.
defense always travels , while shooting sometimes doesn’t.

even dismal interior shooting defense vs putridly horrific defense wins

my god, if we had nobody out there at all and you were left alone by yourself in the gym you might not shoot 77% from inside 3 pt arc… can you acknowledge how awful this defense is?

Reactions: Bee93
Bunnies like when 7 1” Guys rim protect and only option is to dunk or get it swatted?

a bunnie is 99% , like a tap in putt.

there was no uncontested easy shots missed. most were contested, albeit in various forms in contestation

And I would still expect to make more than half of those.

How do you get 5 fouls in 14 minutes? Crazy, it's not like he's a klutz or anything. Seems like refs have been hard on Kris all season and last night especially.

Fran's player minute allotments have left me pulling out my nonexistent hair this year, especially Ogundule and Kris. Why Ogundule didn't get more minutes earlier in the season to get him ready for the Big is perplexing. It seems in every game he has played meaningful minutes he has done reasonably well defending the opposing bigs and rebounding. You can't replicate size.
Why would Fran put in a big body when he’s made millions playing 6’9” 120 pound guys over the years?

6’9”, 120 pounds? If you’re going to exaggerate can you make it at least semi realistic?

joke-dumb.gif

If you hold their bigs to just 70% from 2 pt range vs 77%, IOWA wins this, even shooting dismally as you point out.
defense always travels , while shooting sometimes doesn’t.

even dismal interior shooting defense vs putridly horrific defense wins

my god, if we had nobody out there at all and you were left alone by yourself in the gym you might not shoot 77% from inside 3 pt arc… can you acknowledge how awful this defense is?
It's not good, that's why we need offense to win most games...

a. Game was lost right here. Poor poor defense vs MI Bigs. (If Iowa holds them to even 60% we win.)
b. Lost rebounding again, ( in spite of plus offensive rebounds)

plus player deployment gaffes
c. Ogundele held his own in 4 minute play, stopping Dickinson on a drive, grabbing a high contested rebound, but saw zero 2H minutes.
d. Kris limited to 13 minutes (even tough he is by far 2nd best player on team)

thinking Fran will change anything this season is definition of insanity…
When you accept that Fran is a mediocre coach at best, you will find peace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT