ADVERTISEMENT

170?

Case I H

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2018
Break down how you think it would go. Desanto vs Ironside would be a gritty match. Marinelli vs William's would be great to watch.

125: Jesse Whitmer vs Spencer Lee
133: Mike Mena vs Gavin Teasdale
141: Mark Ironside vs Austin Desanto
149: Kasey Gillis vs Jaydin Eierman
157: Lincoln McIlravy vs Kaleb Young
165: Joe Williams vs Alex Marinelli
174: Mike Uker vs Mike Kemerer
184: Tony Ersland vs Abe Assad
197: Lee Fullhart vs Jacob Warner
HWT: Wes Hand vs Tony Cassiopi

Last edited:
Ben Barton? 170 takes a perfect storm even with an amazing team. I don’t even think the 1997 team was even favored going into NCAAs.

At this point it would be an absolute beat down, not even close. I think Lee is the only one that would win and even then he doesn't bonus Whitmer. I think everyone else would get smoked like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. The only others that I think could keep things close is Kemerer, Eiermam, and possibly Marinelli. The Bull's style and strength could keep it tight, but Williams would still thoroughly control that match.

Reactions: PrairieHawk24
On 2nd thought I do think Kemerer and Eierman would win, but at this point idk about Assad. Ersland is similar to a Wilcke, I guess we'll find out tomorrow, yeah?

Current team could squeeze off 3, maybe 4 wins, but that's the ceiling.

Closer than I originally thought in match wins, but I have the 2021 team winning.
22 team wins 19-17

125: Spencer Lee wins by Major
133: Mike Mena Wins
141: Mark Ironside wins by Major
149: Jaydin Eierman wins
157: Lincoln McIlravy wins by Major
165: Joe Williams wins
174: Mike Kemerer wins
184: Abe Assad wins
197: Lee Fullhart wins
HWT: Tony Cassiopi wins by Fall

Compare to the 92 team...
92 team wins 19-15

125: Spencer Lee wins
133: Terry Brands wins by Tech
141: Tom Brands wins by Tech
149: Troy Steiner wins
157: Terry Steiner Wins
165: Alex Marinelli wins
184: Bart Chelsvig wins
197: Jacob Warner wins
HWT: Tony Cassiopi wins

Break down how you think it would go. Desanto vs Ironside would be a gritty match. Marinelli vs William's would be great to watch.

Lee wmd 4-0
Mena wbd 4-3
MI wbd 4-6
JE WBD 7-6
Mac WBM 7-10
Joe WBD 7-13
Kemerer WBD 10-13
184 TO. 10-13
197 TO. I wrestled Lee Fullhart in college and I feel this is a toss up. 10-13
285 toss up 10-13 with a bunch of toss ups is how I see it.

Lee wmd 4-0
Mena wbd 4-3
MI wbd 4-6
JE WBD 7-6
Mac WBM 7-10
Joe WBD 7-13
Kemerer WBD 10-13
184 TO. 10-13

I don’t think Mena ever wrestled above 126 so he might struggle against a full size 33 lber. I think he could win but 133 was never his weight.

Closer than I originally thought in match wins, but I have the 2021 team winning.
22 team wins 19-17

92 team wins 19-15

not sure Marinelli beats Ryan. Would be a good match considering the pace they wrestle. Reiland would more than hold his own against Kemerer. Especially if Reiland of his NCAA year. Easily take the BIG O, over Cassiopi

Reactions: woodsiding
22 team wins 19-17

92 team wins 19-15

No way Warner beats my cuz

Lee wmd 4-0
Mena wbd 4-3
MI wbd 4-6
JE WBD 7-6
Mac WBM 7-10
Joe WBD 7-13
Kemerer WBD 10-13
184 TO. 10-13

No way Fullhart is a toss up with the current version of Warner. LF by damn near major.

This hypothetical matchup is based on the 2021 Iowa lineup, so maybe after 2 more years of results from our guys it will feel a little different.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Yeah, most remember the yester year's as much more unbeatable than they actually were. Plus, remember these hypotheticals(as Laxhawk just pointed out above) will have the current wrestlers adding another year of experience and results. Assuming they place or exceed where they are currently ranked, they will sit in a spot to legitimately challenge any of the past Iowa teams in a dual format!

For instance,

1.)As good as Fullhart was he took no less than 4 losses every season. I would definitely favor Lee to win, but Warner is definitely good enough to make it a match.

2.) I was a big fan of Ironside, even when we wrestled against him. So, I know he made a living off wearing his opponents down and piling up takedowns late. I just don't see DeSanto wearing down. Granted, I think Ironside was a more polished wrestler, but I don't see him getting 8 or so more takedowns that would be necessary to MD DeSanto.

Yeah, most remember the yester year's as much more unbeatable than they actually were. Plus, remember these hypotheticals(as Laxhawk just pointed out above) will have the current wrestlers adding another year of experience and results. Assuming they place or exceed where they are currently ranked, they will sit in a spot to legitimately challenge any of the past Iowa teams in a dual format!

For instance,

1.)As good as Fullhart was he took no less than 4 losses every season. I would definitely favor Lee to win, but Warner is definitely good enough to make it a match.

2.) I was a big fan of Ironside, even when we wrestled against him. So, I know he made a living off wearing his opponents down and piling up takedowns late. I just don't see DeSanto wearing down. Granted, I think Ironside was a more polished wrestler, but I don't see him getting 8 or so more takedowns that would be necessary to MD DeSanto.

I like Desanto a lot but I think Ironside would pick him apart. Ironside was relentless but had the technique to go with it. He also was as mentally tough as anyone.

Last edited:

For instance,

Ironside had more in his arsenal, by quite a bit, he likely wouldn't wear him out but he would have his head spinning. To the tune of a major? Maybe.

As for Fullhart, he was a 4 time All-American, worst finish was 4th as a freshman. He also beat Cael post College. He showed up to a large degree when it mattered with the talent he had and the opposition he faced, which only Spencer Lee has done to this point on this team ( you could argue a dinged up Kem has too).

The year Fullhart won it (Soph.), he was ranked 5th at tournament time, with his 4 losses to #1 Robison of Endinboro, 2 losses to #3 Hartung and a loss to #4 Picklo of MSU.

At the tournament he beat #1 Robison in the semis and I believe #2 Kading in the Finals. That's showing up.

When multiple members of this Iowa Team do things like that we can talk, until then they're paper tigers. Nothing would please me more than for that to happen, but you prove it at the tournament.

Iowa wasn't even favored to win the year they set the record, Okie State was. We won't be favored this year either, we'll see if they show up and do something about it, like the 97 team did.

I don’t think Mena ever wrestled above 126 so he might struggle against a full size 33 lber. I think he could win but 133 was never his weight.

Making the assumption everyone is up one weight based on weight class changes, Mena was 133 his senior year. That is why Whitmer was in the line up at 118/126. But I do agree with you just comparing size.

Today’s 133 pounders are smaller than the 126 of old.

back then there was day/night before weigh ins and in most cases you could weigh in any time the day if before a dual meet that night.

Daryl We er went from being ranked at 158 to cutting to 142 after the brought Williams out of redshirt.

min Chapel Hill, Weber cit I believe it was like 15 (May have Ben 12)pounds in an hour to make weight.

point is, just because the weight class is a higher number, doesn’t make the wrestlers bigger. They are smaller today because of the weigh in rules require far less weight cutting.

Mena would have struggled to make 133 under current weigh in rules. He didn’t like to cut weight. Who does though?

It is obvious you guys need someone without bias or Hawkeye glasses on to answer this question. :)
Lee tech 5-0
Have not seen enough of teasdale to say, but a Senior Mena is hard to bet against.
Mena dec 5-3
You guys love Desanto, but Ironside embarrasses him. It would be an ugly match from De Santo's perspective
Ironside major (and possible disq victory.) 5-7
Eierman puts a whooping on Gillis
Eiermann fall 11-7
McIlraavy is just too athletic for Young
McIlravy major 11-11
99.9 percent of the people could not beat Joe Williams and The Bull would not either. (If Around 83 percent could have beaten Joe, I would have taken the Bull.)
WiIliams dec 11-14
This assumes that Kemdawg can handle the weight - yet to be proven, but how can anyone doubt the kid.
Kemmerer dec 14-14
Assad needs to do some proving before anyone can pick him over Ersland
Ersland dec 14-17
Seriously guys, have you forgotten how good Fullhart was?
Fullhart major 14-21
Again why does our memory make us forget how good these guys were. Hand took the monster from Minny to the wire and if he did not make the wrong choice in the 3rd, he very likely wins that match.
Hand dec 14-24
Old timer's 24 young pup's 14

Last edited:
Have not seen enough of tea dale to say, but a Senior Mena is hard to bet against.
Mena dec 5-3
You guys love Desanto, but Ironside embarrasses him. It would be an ugly match from De Santo's perspective
Ironside major (and possible disq victory.) 5-7
Hate to stay on this horse, but how in the world could anyone possibly hold these 2 opinions??

Guy who’s never wrestled a match is nip and tuck with Mena.

Guy who’s proven to hang with, and beat, some of the best guys in the country, and the world, gets DQ’d.

I can’t wait to see what everyone else is seeing with these guys.

Reactions: el dub
Hate to stay on this horse, but how in the world could anyone possibly hold these 2 opinions??

Guy who’s never wrestled a match is nip and tuck with Mena.

Guy who’s proven to hang with, and beat, some of the best guys in the country, and the world, gets DQ’d.

I can’t wait to see what everyone else is seeing with these guys.
Well I think DeSanto has had a few in match "issues", and getting his ass handed to him by Mark Ironside might just trigger something that gets him DQ'd. It is certainly possible.

A knowledgeable wrestling fan would know these things.

Reactions: lookleft goright

Lee would TF Whitmer 16-0. Jesse was good on his feet but absolutely terrible on bottom.
0-5

Mena wbd. Idk what Teasdale is yet but Mena was a tough sob outside of NCAAs.
4-5

Ironside wbd in a brawl. Ultimate gas tanks!
7-5

Eierman wdb. Gillis was a one-trick pony.
7-8

Lincoln wbmd. Too damn good.
11-8

Joe wbd. See above. Joe does what he needs to win. Bull never gets close to a TD.
14-8

Kem wbd. Uker would try to make it a brawl but kem is too slick.
14-11

Ersland was a R12 guy. Abe is a better wrestler and could be a 4x AA. Tough Sr vs RSfr Nat battle. Abe wbd
14-14

Fullhart wbmd. He was a beast and was 1 opponent away from being a 3x champ. Warner hasn't shown to be at that level
18-14

RSfr Hand vs soph Cass. Ohhhhh boy! I see a Shelton Benjamin result here! Cass wbf
18-20

Dies
Does that mean the 20-21 team scores 170? No but they are going to be one heckuva team.

Btw the 170 team was borderline to be one of Gable's top 5 teams, they just caught fire at UNI.

Fullhart was a warrior. He is now the wrestling coach in his home town of
Decorah. Lee had some epic battles with Tim Hartung and some very stinging defeats. If, if, if.....not for Hartung Lee would have multiple championships...…..if not for Kading being injured Lee might not have had any!

Well I think DeSanto has had a few in match "issues", and getting his ass handed to him by Mark Ironside might just trigger something that gets him DQ'd. It is certainly possible.

Thanks for having my back. :)

the old boys are proven they already produced. the youngins are ready and it's time to put their names in the hawkeye long line of legends,maybe they will. can't pick them until they earn it.i am excited to be a witness.

Reactions: 24 so far
Fullhart was a warrior. He is now the wrestling coach in his home town of
Decorah. Lee had some epic battles with Tim Hartung and some very stinging defeats. If, if, if.....not for Hartung Lee would have multiple championships...…..if not for Kading being injured Lee might not have had any!

Funny about Kading at the 1997 nationals. He basically needed a wheelchair to get to his mat assignments. But, as soon as the whistle blew he looked like a cat that hadn't eaten in 3 days. My friends and I were laughing our asses off. Looked like a rope-a-dope to me.

BTW, not doubting Kading was injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 so far and MSeil
Spencer, Alex and Cass win those matches. Wes Hand is a puke and in today's age of social media he wouldn’t even be allowed in the room. He tried to fight everyone in the Ped Mall back in his day. Should’ve jumped his drunk ass, but I probably would have ended up with my head splattered in front of the Gyro stand and cost the dude money so I restrained myself. Lol

Reactions: el dub
the old boys are proven they already produced. the youngins are ready and it's time to put their names in the hawkeye long line of legends,maybe they will. can't pick them until they earn it.i am excited to be a witness.
That's a good way of putting it plainly. Go get'em boys!

Reactions: wasdt21

Or maybe a knowledgeable fan might understand those issues are behind him...

Reactions: Muscles1989
Lee would TF Whitmer 16-0. Jesse was good on his feet but absolutely terrible on bottom.
0-5

Mena wbd. Idk what Teasdale is yet but Mena was a tough sob outside of NCAAs.
4-5

Ironside wbd in a brawl. Ultimate gas tanks!
7-5

Eierman wdb. Gillis was a one-trick pony.
7-8

Lincoln wbmd. Too damn good.
11-8

Joe wbd. See above. Joe does what he needs to win. Bull never gets close to a TD.
14-8

Kem wbd. Uker would try to make it a brawl but kem is too slick.
14-11

Ersland was a R12 guy. Abe is a better wrestler and could be a 4x AA. Tough Sr vs RSfr Nat battle. Abe wbd
14-14

Fullhart wbmd. He was a beast and was 1 opponent away from being a 3x champ. Warner hasn't shown to be at that level
18-14

RSfr Hand vs soph Cass. Ohhhhh boy! I see a Shelton Benjamin result here! Cass wbf
18-20

Dies
Does that mean the 20-21 team scores 170? No but they are going to be one heckuva team.

Btw the 170 team was borderline to be one of Gable's top 5 teams, they just caught fire at UNI.
This is a good take because you looked at what year they were in. I don’t think Lincoln gets the major. Post concussion Lincoln was not the same. I don’t know if Cass gets the fall, but I think he is better than Hand.

Spencer, Alex and Cass win those matches. Wes Hand is a puke and in today's age of social media he wouldn’t even be allowed in the room. He tried to fight everyone in the Ped Mall back in his day. Should’ve jumped his drunk ass, but I probably would have ended up with my head splattered in front of the Gyro stand and cost the dude money so I restrained myself. Lol
You don’t have a Fing clue of what you are talking about. My God you are a tool.

You don’t have a Fing clue of what you are talking about. My God you are a tool.

My bad, I didn’t know you were an actual bystander when he did that outside Brother’s when I tried to talk to him. He/you was harassing everyone, Good talk, Wes.

I tried to settle him down. He was standing in the cold trying to fight anyone. BFD, so he gets drunk and wants to fight.

I don’t give two shits what you think you know, I was there.

Stupid ****!! !

Last edited:
Why would Wes be any different than the rest of us when over drinking? It happens. If I’m making it up he can sue me for libel, Don. He could, but he would lose. He’s still a Hawkeye great and I love him for that. I’m just saying he was a drunk asshole in my interactions with him. He was young and full of testosterone, of course he’s a better man now like all of us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT