ADVERTISEMENT

175 non-seniors have made themselves elig for 2018 NBA Draft so far,60 of which have/will hire agent

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
i wonder how many seniors will end up getting drafted. Its no wonder Jok and Uthoff can't get a permanent spot on an NBA roster.

Look at these 2 tweets (start at bottom and work your way up):

Chad Leistikow‏Verified account@ChadLeistikow 4h4 hours ago
Chad Leistikow Retweeted Jonathan Givony

175 non-seniors ... and 60 w/ agents! It's a 2-round draft (30 NBA teams) & 2nd-rounders have no contract guarantee.

Chad Leistikow added,

Jonathan GivonyVerified account@DraftExpress
I count 175 players that have made themselves eligible for the 2018 NBA Draft so far, 60 of which have or will hire agents. This doesn't include NCAA seniors. Full list of who is in, out, testing and still undecided so far: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23048470/2018-nba-draft-testing…
0 replies1 retweet2 likes

There are less than 500 rosters spots in the NBA. Some of these guys are dreaming. Plus, they are giving up a chance at a free college degree.

its crazy! and think of all the guys that don't retire until their mid 30's or later (the money is too good to retire early)

if you look at every roster in the NBA, you will likely only see one rookie/first year player, if that; the rest of these players either play in the G league, over seas, or move on from basketball

Its interesting; Woody has not given up on basketball but Mike Gesell has

It's what happens when you listen solely to your entourage.....

26f1b754aea034a0e1b13b4a54afad24.gif

tumblr_n2vpdaMJ8s1qa8sljo1_500.gif

That is a lot of Euro-league, if that level, players. Some have 0.00000000 chance

From ESPN.com, there are only 25 declared and signed with an agent "no brainers" and "smart moves:":

Declared and signed with agent
No-brainers

Deandre Ayton, C, Fr., Arizona

Marvin Bagley III, PF, Fr., Duke

Mohamed Bamba, C, Fr., Texas

Keita Bates-Diop, PF, RS Jr., Ohio State

Mikal Bridges, SF, Jr., Villanova

Miles Bridges, F, Soph., Michigan State

Jalen Brunson, PG, Jr., Villanova

Wendell Carter Jr., PF/C, Fr., Duke

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, PG, Fr., Kentucky

Aaron Holiday, PG, Jr., UCLA

Jaren Jackson Jr., PF, Fr., Michigan State

Kevin Knox, PF, Fr., Kentucky

Michael Porter Jr., PF, Fr., Missouri

Collin Sexton, PG, Fr., Alabama

Moritz Wagner, PF/C, Jr., Michigan

Lonnie Walker IV, SG, Fr., Miami

Robert Williams, PF, Soph., Texas A&M

Trae Young, PG, Fr., Oklahoma

Smart move

Rawle Alkins, SF, Soph., Arizona

Tony Carr, PG, Soph., Penn State

Eric Davis Jr., SG, Jr., Texas

Trevon Duval, PG, Fr., Duke

De'Anthony Melton, SG, Soph., USC

Malik Newman, SG, Soph., Kansas

Zhaire Smith, SF, Fr., Texas Tech

Need another year

Deng Adel, SF, Jr., Louisville

Bruce Brown Jr., SG, Soph., Miami

Troy Brown, SG, Fr., Oregon

Hamidou Diallo, SG, Fr., Kentucky

Brandon McCoy, PF/C, Fr., UNLV

Chimezie Metu, PF/C, Jr., USC

Shake Milton, G, Jr., SMU

Landry Shamet, PG, Soph., Wichita State

Ray Spalding, PF, Jr., Louisville

Gary Trent Jr., SG, Fr., Duke

Allonzo Trier, SG, Jr., Arizona

Lagerald Vick, SG/SF, Jr., Kansas

Testing the waters
Players from major programs with tough calls to make

Tyus Battle, SG, Soph., Syracuse

Donte DiVincenzo, G, Soph., Villanova

Jerome Robinson, G, Jr., Boston College

Omari Spellman, PF/C, RS Fr., Villanova

Austin Wiley, C, Fr., Auburn

LINK: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...hing-decisions-nba-draft-early-entry-deadline

Basketball has turned into minor league baseball. I'm glad these young men can make some money playing the sport they love. On the other hand, I wish they were more able to take advantage of a free college education. Money will win out though.

Basketball has turned into minor league baseball. I'm glad these young men can make some money playing the sport they love. On the other hand, I wish they were more able to take advantage of a free college education. Money will win out though.

Not sure i completely agree on the minor league baseball comparison. I would advocate the NBA teams have more "minor leagues" or opportunities for players to start their professional careers. Some guys have no interest in being in college. Minor league baseball is a bit different as there is a development curve for pitching and hitting that's a bit different in basketball. The NBA has never had an incentive to change, as college served as the weeding out/minor leagues for basketball. But you ended up with lots of guys in college who had no business being there. Baseball players who just want to get started being a pro baseball player and are good enough to get drafted don't have such constraints. They can go be a pro baseball player.

Just my opinion, but ending the 1 and done rule would drive out some of the corruption in the college game. The top-end talent could just go get paid above board and be a pro. I like some of the initial recommendations of the Rice Commission that came out yesterday. Make penalties for teams that cheat real and painful. Right now there is basically no incentive not to cheat.

The money, in most cases is better if you have a degree, if looking at the course of a lifetime.

Especially considering it only takes a year or two away from the average amount of money most professional players, (non nba) will actually make.

To many kids have delusional aspirations that will never happen.

The money, in most cases is better if you have a degree, if looking at the course of a lifetime.

Especially considering it only takes a year or two away from the average amount of money most professional players, (non nba) will actually make.

To many kids have delusional aspirations that will never happen.

The value of a college degree is big for sure. Some of these athletes, however, need to make money ASAP to support their families. Not all people have the luxury of turning down some income now for a long-term viewpoint. It's unfortunate, but I completely understand the urgency for some athletes.

The value of a college degree is big for sure. Some of these athletes, however, need to make money ASAP to support their families. Not all people have the luxury of turning down some income now for a long-term viewpoint. It's unfortunate, but I completely understand the urgency for some athletes.

Their families made it 18-20 years without their support.

Its mostly dumb short term thinking. Its why so many guys who made it to the nba ended up bankrupt.

Although I do advocate for going after a college degree, especially if you are on scholarship and not paying for it. Odds are you will find a job in the area of study you chose and you will be happy with what you do with your life.

Having said that, college is not for everyone... myself included. There are plenty of good paying jobs that you can make a career in that are satisfying and you will not necessarily become the laughing stock of your family. lol I'm a union railroader. I live out my NBA dream at 24 hour fitness against scrawny 18-26 yr olds. I'm the Bartolo Colon of Portland Oregon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT