ADVERTISEMENT

18 House Republicans voted against a resolution to support Finland, Sweden joining NATO

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
No surprises who's on the list. It's a who's who of depolorables.

Reps. Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Dan Bishop (N.C.), Lauren Boebert (Colo.), Madison Cawthorn (N.C.), Ben Cline (Va.), Michael Cloud (Texas), Warren Davidson (Ohio), Matt Gaetz (Fla.), Bob Good (Va.), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.), Morgan Griffith (Va.), Thomas Massie (Ky.), Tom McClintock (Calif.), Mary Miller (Ill.), Ralph Norman (S.C.), Matt Rosendale (Mont.), Chip Roy (Texas) and Jefferson Van Drew (N.J.).

Last edited:
conversely how does it hurt?
Admittedly, I haven’t delved into the issue as I don’t have a strong opinion either way. But I think the question I posed should have been asked by every member of congress prior to voting.

That said, I’m not sure. But it seems to put more liability and protection responsibilities on the US in the event that Russia strikes one of these new members potential setting up a direct conflict between the US (NATO) and Russia. Call me a pacifist but that’s not a situation I want to see play out for me and, more importantly, my kids. I have zero desire to go to war against Russia for actions in Eastern Europe. I’m hoping for de-escalation of tensions and a diplomatic resolution. Perhaps that’s not possible but further ratcheting up tensions doesn’t really appeal to me.

Admittedly, I haven’t delved into the issue as I don’t have a strong opinion either way. But I think the question I posed should have been asked by every member of congress prior to voting.

That said, I’m not sure. But it seems to put more liability and protection responsibilities on the US in the event that Russia strikes one of these new members potential setting up a direct conflict between the US (NATO) and Russia. Call me a pacifist but that’s not a situation I want to see play out for me and, more importantly, my kids. I have zero desire to go to war against Russia for actions in Eastern Europe. I’m hoping for de-escalation of tensions and a diplomatic resolution. Perhaps that’s not possible but further ratcheting up tensions doesn’t really appeal to me.
Exactly... it hurts the US by continuing to expand how many people we have to be the big brother of.

This is why I support the yes votes.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F201016151454-sanna-marin-trendimag.jpg

Russia isn't going to attack a NATO member.

Besides if keeping the peace with Russia means letting them invade other countries at will than it's a shitty peace that we should have learned from World War 2 is completely untenable in the long term.

I don't want war with Russia either but what's worse than war is letting Russia just do whatever the hell the feel like doing.

World War 3 sounds shitty but letting the Russians rule over us sounds shittier. If Russia is willing to attack Finland or Sweden or any other NATO member then lets have at it.

I don't want Russia holding the world hostage with their nukes.

Ah, the Neville Chamberlain approach.

Reps. Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Dan Bishop (N.C.), Lauren Boebert (Colo.), Madison Cawthorn (N.C.), Ben Cline (Va.), Michael Cloud (Texas), Warren Davidson (Ohio), Matt Gaetz (Fla.), Bob Good (Va.), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.), Morgan Griffith (Va.), Thomas Massie (Ky.), Tom McClintock (Calif.), Mary Miller (Ill.), Ralph Norman (S.C.), Matt Rosendale (Mont.), Chip Roy (Texas) and Jefferson Van Drew (N.J.).

#PutinsParty

Some people miss the big stuff by focusing their attention on the small stuff.
Yep, you have to pay attention to detail, but as my ole buddy Mike Fooey would say, “Don’t sweat the nickel, dime shit.”

Also known as, don’t waste a dollar waiting on a dime.

Russia isn't going to attack a NATO member.

Besides if keeping the peace with Russia means letting them invade other countries at will than it's a shitty peace that we should have learned from World War 2 is completely untenable in the long term.

I don't want war with Russia either but what's worse than war is letting Russia just do whatever the hell the feel like doing.

World War 3 sounds shitty but letting the Russians rule over us sounds shittier. If Russia is willing to attack Finland or Sweden or any other NATO member then lets have at it.

I don't want Russia holding the world hostage with their nukes.
How is Russia invading Ukraine my or the USA’s problem? Russia invading Ukraine is hardly “Russia ruling over U.S.”

So let me get this straight. Something with no actual downside and major upside should have been asked by every member of Congress and then they voted against it.

All it does it add more members to our side of the alliance. That's it. Everything else is just a guess and any conflict with Russia is completely independent of the decision to add Sweden. Pretty sure if Russia invade Sweden the west would get involved. It's not a country that was part of Russia 40 years ago.

You're entire post is based on fear that may or may not come to fruition. That's it. Meanwhile adding them has tangible benefits from additional military support to more people on our side.

Boy, I am not pro war but Russia invading Ukraine became an act of good will for humanity. It isn't the 18th or 19th centuries. You can't just go invading territory any longer. This is a strength in numbers thing.

Reactions: ft254 and billanole

Did it pass? If so why do you care?

How is Russia invading Ukraine my or the USA’s problem? Russia invading Ukraine is hardly “Russia ruling over U.S.”

Same way that Germany invading France became the USA's problem.

It's an interconnected world out there. We can't afford to be isolationists again. We tried that once, it failed miserably and it cost lives.

Damn. We’ve got some War Hawks on this board. I’ll make sure I’ll never refer to the left as being anti-war again. I was clearly mistaken.

Guess it’s time to light ‘em up and put Russia in its place.

U.S.A. - September 1, 1939.

We fought a world war over this shit.

I am sitting here wondering how many of the people saying stuff like that flunked history or what.

Are they not aware that we tried the whole America first, isolationism thing and it did not work and our failed experiment in isolationism cost a half a million American lives.

I have no issue with admitting Finland and Sweden but there needs to be a binding commitment that all NATO countries must meet the defense spending as a percentage of GDP requirement especially now with a clear threat. Last stat I heard was only 8 or 9 countries currently meet the 2% spend. The US should be involved but should not have to subsidize the security of Europe.

JFC

No, they're pro-russia.
So, you must be really upset that Biden stopped the Keystone XL and is trying to shut down domestic drilling because that is only playing right into Putin's hands. The world needs oil, Russia has it and the U.S. won't counter Russia's influence by putting more non Russian oil on the market.

So are you going to demand the left stop it's assault on domestic drilling or are you pro Russian?

So, you must be really upset that Biden stopped the Keystone XL and is trying to shut down domestic drilling because that is only playing right into Putin's hands. The world needs oil, Russia has it and the U.S. won't counter Russia's influence by putting more non Russian oil on the market.

So are you going to demand the left stop it's assault on domestic drilling or are you pro Russian?
No, because I don't have the geopolitical understanding of a toddler.

I have no issue with admitting Finland and Sweden but there needs to be a binding commitment that all NATO countries must meet the defense spending as a percentage of GDP requirement especially now with a clear threat. Last stat I heard was only 8 or 9 countries currently meet the 2% spend. The US should be involved but should not have to subsidize the security of Europe.
With allowances per individual circumstances. Not wholesale waivers, but deference on individual basis that are then more or less “paid back”.

The Keystone is operating even as you type. Dunce.
An extension was deemed not effective/needed and therefore stopped.
The product that flows thru Keystone is heavy crude not viable for domestic consumption and therefore is exported.
More Keystone flow will not help your ICE realize cheaper gas. Dunce.

Delete your account

Oh please. Please tell us how Biden is "shutting down" domestic oil production. The last number I saw was that oil production in federal land accounted for 5% of total production in the United States. Tell me, exactly, how Biden has proposed shutting down 95% of domestic oil production.

Joe Biden approved more domestic oil leases in his first year in office than Trump approved in his first year. Link below. The oil companies are sitting on thousands of leases they won’t use.

You’re exactly what’s wrong with American politics today. You’re a hyper partisan liar who posts incorrect nonsense just to get attention. Then, other people read your nonsense and take it for 💯 real and swallow,it down. You don’t care about the truth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT