ADVERTISEMENT

18 House Republicans voted against a resolution to support Finland, Sweden joining NATO

Oh please. Please tell us how Biden is "shutting down" domestic oil production. The last number I saw was that oil production in federal land accounted for 5% of total production in the United States. Tell me, exactly, how Biden has proposed shutting down 95% of domestic oil production.

Joe Biden approved more domestic oil leases in his first year in office than Trump approved in his first year. Link below. The oil companies are sitting on thousands of leases they won’t use.

You’re exactly what’s wrong with American politics today. You’re a hyper partisan liar who posts incorrect nonsense just to get attention. Then, other people read your nonsense and take it for 💯 real and swallow,it down. You don’t care about the truth.

The saying is, “Boom”.

Reactions: Scott559
So, you must be really upset that Biden stopped the Keystone XL and is trying to shut down domestic drilling because that is only playing right into Putin's hands. The world needs oil, Russia has it and the U.S. won't counter Russia's influence by putting more non Russian oil on the market.

So are you going to demand the left stop it's assault on domestic drilling or are you pro Russian?
I feel like this post didn't go as well as you'd hoped.

Exactly... it hurts the US by continuing to expand how many people we have to be the big brother of.

You dont think we are already their big brother regardless of NATO status?

I have no issue with admitting Finland and Sweden but there needs to be a binding commitment that all NATO countries must meet the defense spending as a percentage of GDP requirement especially now with a clear threat. Last stat I heard was only 8 or 9 countries currently meet the 2% spend. The US should be involved but should not have to subsidize the security of Europe.

Gonna be a hard sell for the US... Russia is not a threat to NATO for conventional war...it will be hard to convince them to spend more now.

So, you must be really upset that Biden stopped the Keystone XL and is trying to shut down domestic drilling because that is only playing right into Putin's hands. The world needs oil, Russia has it and the U.S. won't counter Russia's influence by putting more non Russian oil on the market.

So are you going to demand the left stop it's assault on domestic drilling or are you pro Russian?

Might want to do a little research before hitting the post button, Ah hell, Who am I kidding, Nevermind.

I am sitting here wondering how many of the people saying stuff like that flunked history or what.

Are they not aware that we tried the whole America first, isolationism thing and it did not work and our failed experiment in isolationism cost a half a million American lives.
Where you getting your history books from, one of the Bush Presidential Libraries? Cuz that sounds like the crap they used to spew.

That's what I thought, no answer just bullocks.
Please explain how Biden is shutting down oil production on private land. Is he somehow confiscating that land? Executive order? Can you link that? If Biden is in fact doing that, he needs to be impeached. I’ll be the first Democrat calling for impeachment.

The other option is you’re a lying political hack piece of shit. I think I know which it is, but I’ll keep an open mind in order to give you a chance to provide proof.

Damn. We’ve got some War Hawks on this board. I’ll make sure I’ll never refer to the left as being anti-war again. I was clearly mistaken.

Guess it’s time to light ‘em up and put Russia in its place.
I do not think you have much to worry about, These are 50-100 year issues being discussed. Once, the winds shift, the Democrats will quickly abandon their hawkish views and bail on support for an expanded NATO.

Please recall that Democrat support for our missions in Afghanistan and Iraq quickly evaporated.

.................................................................................................................................................................................

After two world wars, we were left without the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottoman Empire, the German Empire, and the Russian Empire had transitioned into becoming the Soviet Union. The USSR eventually became the single most unsuccessful piece of the entire reorganization of Europe.

We had this last piece mostly resolved after the Bush presidency in 1991 or so. (Russia was downsized, selling American style hamburgers to their citizenry, and even building GM autos.) Now due to inattention to who Putin really was/is, another strongman has emerged and needs to be dealt with. We have been handling issues in this part of the world now for 70 years. We have a new order set up, it is good for America, it is working, and needs to be maintained.

Russia is a pariah state, and they have a handful of client states. THEY WANT A FEW MORE, AND OVER TIME MANY MANY MORE. They are even starting to mention Alaska in that narrative.

We need to build on our alliances and to continue to control the narrative that underlies our great land anywhere we can.

Last edited:
I have no issue with admitting Finland and Sweden but there needs to be a binding commitment that all NATO countries must meet the defense spending as a percentage of GDP requirement especially now with a clear threat. Last stat I heard was only 8 or 9 countries currently meet the 2% spend. The US should be involved but should not have to subsidize the security of Europe.
Bullshit. U.S. strategic (global) interests far outweigh petty financial concerns.

I do not think you have much to worry about, These are 50-100 year issues being discussed. Once, the winds shift, the Democrats will quickly abandon their hawkish views and bail on support for an expanded NATO.

Please recall that Democrat support for our missions in Afghanistan and Iraq quickly evaporated.

.................................................................................................................................................................................

After two world wars, we were left without the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottoman Empire, the German Empire, and the Russian Empire had transitioned into becoming the Soviet Union. The USSR eventually became the single most unsuccessful piece of the entire reorganization of Europe.

We had this last piece mostly resolved after the Bush presidency in 1991 or so. (Russia was downsized and was building GM autos even.) Now due to inattention to who Putin really was/is, another strongman has emerged and needs to be dealt with. We have been handling issues in this part of the world now for 70 years. We have a new order set up, it is working, and needs to be maintained.

Russia is a pariah state, and they have a handful of client states. THEY WANT A FEW MORE, AND OVER TIME MANY MANY MORE. They are even starting to mention Alaska in that narrative.

We need to build on our alliances and to continue to control the narrative that underlies our great land anywhere we can.
I don’t always agree with you, but I always value your insight. It’s nice to read intelligent conservative commentary on this board because it’s a rare commodity.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
This ^

I haven't read the resolution. If that stipulation isn't in the resolution, just add it. Everyone should support that, right?!

Well, I’ll let @Titus Andronicus speak for himself, but he has always struck me as one. I’m being sincere. I enjoy intelligent debates/discussions between conservatives and liberals, but most of the cons who post here are morons. I think a lot of the saner cons left during the Trump years.
I always thought he was as well. I can't remember who let the cat out of the bag though.

Russia isn't going to attack a NATO member.
Probably not, but are you sure?

Ask yourself what difference we would see in our support of Ukraine if they had been a NATO member.

Remember, even when Article 5 is invoked, that does not require troops or nukes. So if Ukraine had been in NATO and had invoked Article 5, individual nations would still decide how to come to Ukraine's aid.

The result might not have been noticeably different from what's now happening.

A different way to look at it is to ask since Ukraine is not in NATO, why are we treating it like it is?

I always thought he was as well. I can't remember who let the cat out of the bag though.
Don’t get me wrong: the fact he is able to construct several coherent sentences in one post without a myriad of spelling and grammar errors initially threw me off, but I’m pretty sure he is conservative.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
What's wrong with you? Several people replied directly to you refuting your post. Why don't you reply to those? Because you only have one talking point and you aren't smart enough to enter into a real debate.
No one has explained why they feel I'm wrong, because they can't. If you don't know how making it harder to extract and deliver oil raises its price, you need to take an economics class.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I just glanced at @cigaretteman's post on an earlier resolution endorsing NATO. In that vote, 63 House Rs voted against.

I haven't compared the names, but I wonder why so many of them are now more pro-NATO than they were in April?

Reactions: BelemNole
No one has explained why they feel I'm wrong, because they can't. If you don't know how making it harder to extract and deliver oil raises its price, you need to take an economics class.
What was the source of the oil that would have been transported via the Keystone XL?

We are doing other things to stymie Russia's aggression. There's no need to also do things that will harm us.

While I am in favor of Sweden and Finland joining, there are lots of good reasons to worry about making the largest military power in the history of the world even stronger.

Personally, I'd rather see the power reside in more democratic organizations, like the EU and UN.

While I'm sure you can find nice words about rights and democracy in NATO's documents, it is not fundamentally concerned with those values. It's a military organization.

Ah, Trump's main objection.

It's all about the money with some people.

The Keystone is operating even as you type. Dunce.
An extension was deemed not effective/needed and therefore stopped.
The product that flows thru Keystone is heavy crude not viable for domestic consumption and therefore is exported.
More Keystone flow will not help your ICE realize cheaper gas. Dunce.

Please explain how Biden is shutting down oil production on private land. Is he somehow confiscating that land? Executive order? Can you link that? If Biden is in fact doing that, he needs to be impeached. I’ll be the first Democrat calling for impeachment.

The other option is you’re a lying political hack piece of shit. I think I know which it is, but I’ll keep an open mind in order to give you a chance to provide proof.

How was the Keystone XL going to improve domestic production or supply?

Reactions: ft254
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT