ADVERTISEMENT

1981: The Other UCLA Upset

ChipHilton

HB Legend
Sep 8, 2001
Well, not actually an upset. The Hawks manhandled the boys of Westwood.

This video has been around a while, but I hadn't seen it; I just had the radio broadcast memory. (Nigh unta 40 year ago, younguns..) I remembered Oleo breaking his leg and Gales getting hurt, enabling Bohannon to have his coming out party. I didn't remember the Iowa turnovers, which were the only thing preventing a blowout. The entire front 5 took turns destroying the Bruin offense and Stoops, Frazier and King cleaned up in back when Ramsey and Bono didn't get buried.

Bohannon had some nice runs, but I'm thinking Zabel made it sound more impressive than it was. I thought Gales looked better.

We could use a clone of Phil Blatcher this fall. John Alt made an appearance or two as the #2 TE. And the forgotten man award? Jeff Brown, 1980's starting tailback (5.1 ypc, 22 receptions). Leading receiver and punt returner in '81. Does anyone remember why he didn't return for his 5th year in '82? Assuming it was grades or injury.

I'm just glad UCLA didn't make it to the Rose Bowl. The 3+ touchdown loss would have been extra frustrating.😠

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.