ADVERTISEMENT

1986-1987

So you're blaming the last 30 years on TD? Now you're just coming across as someone who's bitter about something.
No he's not. He's maybe being a little too critical of TD in my opinion but that's not what he's saying at all.

No. I'm blaming the idiot AD that hired him and the idiot that kept him.

Wow, so not only was TD bad, now the AD is an idiot. Here's a little nugget from the Bump Elliott Wikipedia page. And who's the idiot at this point.

During his tenure as athletic director, he hired coaches Dan Gable, Hayden Fry, Lute Olson, C. Vivian Stringer, and Dr. Tom Davis, and the Iowa Hawkeyes won 41 Big Ten Conference championships and 11 NCAA titles. In 1989, Elliott was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Wow, so not only was TD bad, now the AD is an idiot. Here's a little nugget from the Bump Elliott Wikipedia page. And who's the idiot at this point.

During his tenure as athletic director, he hired coaches Dan Gable, Hayden Fry, Lute Olson, C. Vivian Stringer, and Dr. Tom Davis, and the Iowa Hawkeyes won 41 Big Ten Conference championships and 11 NCAA titles. In 1989, Elliott was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.
He may know a lot about those other sports but he screwed up with TD. And it set Iowa Basketball back for 30 years.

He may know a lot about those other sports but he screwed up with TD. And it set Iowa Basketball back for 30 years.

That's just wrong. He hired Lute and Raveling too. You're really pissed about something. What were you, a BB player who didn't get a offer from TD? Something has you this mad. And you are blaming TD for 30 years of basketball.

That's just wrong. He hired Lute and Raveling too. You're really pissed about something. What were you, a BB player who didn't get a offer from TD? Something has you this mad. And you are blaming TD for 30 years of basketball.
And he screwed up hiring TD! I don't know what else to tell you. Tom Davis took Raveling's recruits and made a Great 8 appearance. Kindly tell us how many Great 8 appearances we have made since then. I'll wait.

Anyone attempting to argue that Iowa basketball has gotten better since Raveling's recruits left, is a moron. Every stat, , record and result points to that person being a moron.
You don't have to like the facts. You do not have to like the season by season results. You don't have to like the stats. But you can't change them.

And he screwed up hiring TD! I don't know what else to tell you. Tom Davis took Raveling's recruits and made a Great 8 appearance. Kindly tell us how many Great 8 appearances we have made since then. I'll wait.

FYI, TD was the coach that took us to the Great 8. Who knows if Raveling would have been able to do that. With TD we at least made it to the NCAA tourney and won some games. Following TD, we've done thing. Seems to me the problem wasn't hiring TD, it was firing him that cause the decline in BB. You're you're rating success and failure on how many appearances we have in the Great 8, then you're setting Iowa BB up for failure every year. FM must be a complete failure in your eyes.

Calling Bump Elliott an idiot is completely out of line. Go find another university to root for because we don't need people like you calling a hall of fame AD an idiot. Those were some of the best years of Iowa sports and you have the nerve to call him an idiot. Pathetic.

FYI, TD was the coach that took us to the Great 8. Who knows if Raveling would have been able to do that. With TD we at least made it to the NCAA tourney and won some games. Following TD, we've done thing. Seems to me the problem wasn't hiring TD, it was firing him that cause the decline in BB. You're you're rating success and failure on how many appearances we have in the Great 8, then you're setting Iowa BB up for failure every year. FM must be a complete failure in your eyes.

Calling Bump Elliott an idiot is completely out of line. Go find another university to root for because we don't need people like you calling a hall of fame AD an idiot. Those were some of the best years of Iowa sports and you have the nerve to call him an idiot. Pathetic.
How many Great 8s have we been to since 1987? Simple question.

Anyone attempting to argue that Iowa basketball has gotten better since Raveling's recruits left, is a moron. Every stat, , record and result points to that person being a moron.
You don't have to like the facts. You do not have to like the season by season results. You don't have to like the stats. But you can't change them.

Who's arguing that Iowa BB has gotten better. But if you want Raveling type recruits every year, then you're going to be disappointed because guess what, Raveling isn't our coach. Right now we have FM recruits. Good or bad, that's the reality. To be pissed at TD for not being able to recruit like Raveling is just stupid.

Who's arguing that Iowa BB has gotten better. But if you want Raveling type recruits every year, then you're going to be disappointed because guess what, Raveling isn't our coach. Right now we have FM recruits. Good or bad, that's the reality. To be pissed at TD for not being able to recruit like Raveling is just stupid.
How many Great 8s has Iowa been to since 1987?

How many Great 8s have we been to since 1987? Simple question.

What's your point? I'm not saying Iowa BB has been great. You really need to take a step back because you've lost it. You're pissed at TD and now Bump Elliott and calling him an idiot. I would suggest you become a Kentucky or Duke fan.

What's your point? I'm not saying Iowa BB has been great. You really need to take a step back because you've lost it. You're pissed at TD and now Bump Elliott and calling him an idiot. I would suggest you become a Kentucky or Duke fan.
Calling Bump Elliot an idiot is probably strong. I'll amend that by saying Bump Elliot was an idiot for hiring Tom Davis.
I'm not angry at Tom Davis. You're the one that's losing your mind here. Lute Olson was the last Iowa basketball coach to win a Big Title and get us to the Final Four. That's almost 40 years ago. Another fact that won't fit your agenda here.
Now, you're just resorting to the tired ol "go root for Duke" bullshit.

Calling Bump Elliot an idiot is probably strong. I'll amend that by saying Bump Elliot was an idiot for hiring Tom Davis.
I'm not angry at Tom Davis. You're the one that's losing your mind here. Lute Olson was the last Iowa basketball coach to win a Big Title and get us to the Final Four. That's almost 40 years ago. Another fact that won't fit your agenda here.

Probably strong? I don't have an agenda, you do. I recognize Lute Olsen as a great coach. I hated to see him go but we didn't have a choice, he left us. Then there was Raveling, and he too left. Then we had Davis and he got us to the G8. So we get a coach that got us to the G8 and you say Elliott was an idiot for hiring him. And your question you keep asking does nothing but prove it's hard to get to the G8. So why be so negative towards the coach (and AD) that got us to the G8. You're expectation for a coach are way out of line for the university of Iowa. I want to win a national title as much as anyone but I'm not going to call someone a failure who gets us to the G8.

Tom Davis with George Raveling's recruits.
Bump Elliot (in a moment of stupidity).

FYI, Raveling couldn't get us to the G8 with Raveling recruits. TD was the coach and deserves credit for what he did. If the fact he had Raveling players means that much then had they won a national title, your thoughts would still be that TD was a bad coach and Bump Elliot was an idiot. Any by the way, you can tone it down all you want, but in the end you originally called BE an idiot. You have no credibility after that.

Probably strong? I don't have an agenda, you do. I recognize Lute Olsen as a great coach. I hated to see him go but we didn't have a choice, he left us. Then there was Raveling, and he too left. Then we had Davis and he got us to the G8. So we get a coach that got us to the G8 and you say Elliott was an idiot for hiring him. And your question you keep asking does nothing but prove it's hard to get to the G8. So why be so negative towards the coach (and AD) that got us to the G8. You're expectation for a coach are way out of line for the university of Iowa. I want to win a national title as much as anyone but I'm not going to call someone a failure who gets us to the G8.
I'm not discussing my expectations for the Iowa basketball coach. I'm discussing Tom Davis and Bump Elliot. Try and stay on topic.

FYI, Raveling couldn't get us to the G8 with Raveling recruits. TD was the coach and deserves credit for what he did. If the fact he had Raveling players means that much then had they won a national title, your thoughts would still be that TD was a bad coach and Bump Elliot was an idiot. Any by the way, you can tone it down all you want, but in the end you originally called BE an idiot. You have no credibility after that.
If Tom Davis was a good enough coach to win a National Title with Raveling's players, this conversation wouldn't be happening. But he wasn't. So, it is.
Tom Davis couldn't even get to a Final Four with a roster full of NBA players. That's awful.

I'm not discussing my expectations for the Iowa basketball coach. I'm discussing Tom Davis and Bump Elliot. Try and stay on topic.

So if that's all we're talking about. Bump Elliot hired TD and TD took us to the G8 and we haven't been to the G8 since. That was one of the bright spots for Iowa BB.

If Tom Davis was a good enough coach to win a National Title with Raveling's players, this conversation wouldn't be happening. But he wasn't. So, it is.
Tom Davis couldn't even get to a Final Four with a roster full of NBA players. That's awful.

Take a look at the "full NBA roster" and tell me how successful they were in the NBA. Had Raveling been around, who knows if they would have gotten as far as they did.

What's your deal? You claim to be a coach but you sure don't sound like one. Where'd you coach at?

Yes, it was exciting. I am relaxed. I grew up playing with 3 D-1 basketball players in my neighborhood. I knew the difference when one of them wasn't there and someone else took their place. I'd rather play 24 minutes against Gamble and 14 minutes against Moe VS 32 minutes against Gamble and 8 minutes against Moe. Id rather play 26 minutes against Lohaus and 14 minutes against Lorenzen VS 32 minutes against Lohaus and 8 minutes against Lorenzen.
That was true then and it's true now, 30 years later.
I'm not sorry if that hurts people's feelings about Tom Davis. Tom Davis was a great teacher of the game. He was a great guy. I have nothing but respect for the man himself. But he was a huge step down in recruiting and a poor in game coach.

I respect Tom Davis, but God do I hate him!!

Agreed. He was a mid major coach with a mid major system. He should have never been hired and handed that roster. It cost all of us, as Iowa fans. It cost the University.

And, you respected him.

He cost all of us....something.

Are you douched out, yet?

Look at the 87-88 roster.

8036871981_18fcbe5392_m.jpg

It was my freshman year at Iowa and it was glorious. Kinnick and Carver were always full. The parties in Burge were only topped by sneaking into Stanley for the “after party.”
At the time, I had no idea what we had. I do remember a few years later, sitting in the Field House, thinking how great that time was and how unlikely we’d see it again anytime soon.
My freshman year as well. Lived in Burge 4200’s. I think Oklahoma NCAA tournament game was during our Spring Break. Had a decent group of us that stayed during Spring Break and watched in Burge. Kevin Gamble tore their hearts out! I think HR poster Douglas C. Neidermeyer was there as well!

A
My freshman year as well. Lived in Burge 4200’s. I think Oklahoma NCAA tournament game was during our Spring Break. Had a decent group of us that stayed during Spring Break and watched in Burge. Kevin Gamble tore their hearts out! I think HR poster Douglas C. Neidermeyer was there as well!
Always partied in the 4400s. I knew a couple Laotian guys from Fairfield there. Good guys. I bet we crossed paths a time or two.

my memory is terrible not sure if Davis was the coach or not but I loved it when we would go up for a long range shot and the it would be a pass to one of the bigs instead. Almost like an alley oop. Also again think it was Davis - I loved the press and when he would put our tallest player on the person I bounding the ball. i remember a couple of times the player throwing the inbound pass getting pissed and throwing it off the head of the person guarding him.

Also a soph at Ames High in 86-87, but already knowing I would not be going to Iowa State, and the next year it became official. Yup, still not over the UNLV loss, and yes it was fun being a freshman in 89. Yes, a long time ago. :)
I was in 10th grade at the time. I started following Iowa sports closely in 85. The UNLV game was in 87.
You can write down everything I say and pound it up your rear end, for all I care. Anyone that saw that game against UNLV, should have known. If that didn't clue people in, the ensuing recruiting classes should have been a good indicator. If that wasn't enough, the 89-90 season of 12-16 should have done it. you can't go from 30-5 to 12-16 in 4 seasons and not see a huge problem with it.
I feel pity for anyone that still defends his record, now that enough time has gone by to eliminate emotion from the equation and just look at the hard facts.
I mean, Lickliter went from 13-19 to 10-22 in 3 seasons and we couldn't get rid of him fast enough! But Tom Davis goes from 30-5 to 12-16 and he somehow gets a pass and is considered a great coach?
I now know of 1 person's opinion that I won't be paying attention to, in the future.

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
How did they lose at home to a 9-9 Ohio St. team ?.

I can’t remember if he had a big game or not, but I assume he did, OSU had an awesome year that today would have been a one and done. Dennis Hopkins, right? Something like that. Gary Williams was their coach and they were tough. Michigan was very good, as was Illinois (they both went to Final Four two years later). So it wasn’t just PU and IU that we’re good. Heck, in 1989 we went 10-8 and earned a 4 seed in the NCAA. I believe BTN recently did a show on how great Big Ten basketball was in 88-89 season

And I'm pretty sure Scout is either Todd or "lil' Lick" Lickliter, trying to deflect blame for crushing Iowa BB for years to come

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT