ADVERTISEMENT

1986-1987

WTF is the “Great Eight?” Seriously. Sure we haven’t been to any Elite Eight’s either...
Well there ya go. After 30 years of never having sniffed it, I forgot what the god damned thing was even called. I got the other one right, didn't I? The Frankfurt Four? Haven't seen that game since I was in 3rd grade.
You must be a fan of a program that gets to the "elite 8" once or twice a decade. Wisconsin fan? Duke fan?

Don't you have an NAIA basketball program you should be running into the ground or something?
You're like the Iowa message board version of Tom Davis. You just keep getting worse as time goes on. Maybe I can help. You're fired. I hear the Drake message board is looking for help.

Probably should not get into this, but since I skimmed through the thread, I think Dr Tom was a good coach, but far from being a great coach. He achieved above average results on the court, but I am not so sure that managed his players off the court the way he should/could have. I know there were some drug problems during his tenure, and if he had handled those better, I believe that some of the players would have achieved even more in their careers. I am far from being an insider and wasn't in IC during his tenure, but I heard that the off court stuff had as much to do with his firing as the on court results, which had leveled off after his first few years. He did have Bruce Pearl on his staff...

I am glad that we finally have a coaching staff that seems to handle team management and player development as well as you could ask, and now have gotten the program back to a place where we are getting some top recruits without sacrificing integrity. I think Fran has a good chance to move the program back to the level Lute had taken them, but we are still a guard or two away...

ADVERTISEMENT