ADVERTISEMENT

2-0, is there a difference between optimism and conformity?

JoelBittner

HB MVP
Jun 14, 2010
Things look really testy here. Probably like that on all the boards. I understand those who still are wary since this decade so far looks nothing like the previous decade. I also think people are desperate to believe there has been a fundamental move away from hyper-conservatism. So here's the question, do you have on rose-colored glasses because you're just exhausted from previous years negativity? Or, do you really believe the coaching/player-talent/schedule is there for Iowa to be ranked when the season is over?

Team seems to have some juice with Beathard that it has missed since the Stanzi days. I've changed my season outlook from downright pessimistic to cautiously optimistic. I'll hold judgment until after the Pitt game though. If we can go 4-0 into Madison, the season is at least on the road to being more fun, whatever that entails.

I concur with the thought about football starting to seem fun again as I had shifted most of my attention to basketball although continued to watch on Saturdays. I see a change of culture which you can see even among the players who seem more enthusiastic and unified although some of that comes from seemingly better leadership on the team. As to the conservatism you will always get conservative football from Kirk Ferentz even if played in a bit more attacking, aggressive mode. The season still seems a work in progress and too early to predict about ending up ranked but it does seem a positive just to get a little more national attention and a few votes in the polls. Getting the program back on track comes a step at a time but we seem headed in the right direction.

Wisconsin is extremely beatable. Get to 5-0 and I'll start to believe that something special is brewing. Lose this week and nearly all of the positive feelings go out the window.

Wisconsin is extremely beatable. Get to 5-0 and I'll start to believe that something special is brewing. Lose this week and nearly all of the positive feelings go out the window.

I wanna feel the same way. But last year Iowa was 5-1 after 6 games. Iowa used to get better as the season rolled along. But recent seasons have messed with my faith in that model.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
I'm not sure how many fans are even posting on this board and I don't mean in some lame "true fan" way. I really think some threads have trolls arguing with other trolls. There's no other way to explain it

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I wanna feel the same way. But last year Iowa was 5-1 after 6 games. Iowa used to get better as the season rolled along. But recent seasons have messed with my faith in that model.

Not getting better as the season progressed compared to Kirk's early good Iowa teams seems one of the hallmarks of the stagnant last few seasons. I don't think you will see that from this group of Hawks. This team seems mentally tough which I think stems from the coaching staff playing to win vice not to lose where so often we used to go into a shell.

If the Hawks continue to play as hard and as enthusiastically as we have seen I hope fans don't lose their optimism if a team like Wisconsin or Pittsburgh simply outplays us and gets the win. Getting things turned around involves a process for us fans as well which involves dealing with setbacks which will inevitably come.

I see a lot of reasons to be optimistic. We have a QB who can make any throw on the field and is also a threat with his feet. We have two running backs that have both looked very good so far this year as each have a 100 yard running game already. Last year we did not have a 100 yard rusher until Wadley rushed for over 100 against Minnesota. Our defense has been great against the run this year (albeit against relatively weak competition). Our secondary looks like one of the best we have had under Ferentz. Our special teams have also been solid and it looks like Koehn might be one of the best kickers in the country.

It's still too early to make any final judgments, especially given the level of competition we have played. However, Illinois State is supposed to be a very good FCS team and we dominated them. ISU is much better than last year and we dominated the second half against them without our best defensive player and starting running back.

I can certainly see this season turning into a special season, but we obviously have a long way to go.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
It's still too early to make any final judgments

I can certainly see this season turning into a special season, but we obviously have a long way to go.

Yeah, like 11 more games...

hotels-com-the-one-with-the-guy-locked-out-in-his-underwear-large-3_zpsgjvwzjst.jpg

Uncle Charleston pulling out the Captain Obvious pic. Nice work.

Hard to say... I was also pretty pessimistic when I renewed my season tickets that it could be a frustrating year finishing 6-6 or 7-5. However, I am cautiously optimistic like someone previously posted. I am not saying that the Hawks still couldn't be just a 7 or 6 win team but I am really excited about what I saw the first two weeks and am hoping that is catching on with others. I really feel like I haven't been "emotionally invested" in Iowa football the last couple years but I am pumped up for Saturday. Hopefully the Hawks will get it done and move on to 3-0!

Not getting better as the season progressed compared to Kirk's early good Iowa teams seems one of the hallmarks of the stagnant last few seasons. I don't think you will see that from this group of Hawks. This team seems mentally tough which I think stems from the coaching staff playing to win vice not to lose where so often we used to go into a shell.

If the Hawks continue to play as hard and as enthusiastically as we have seen I hope fans don't lose their optimism if a team like Wisconsin or Pittsburgh simply outplays us and gets the win. Getting things turned around involves a process for us fans as well which involves dealing with setbacks which will inevitably come.

It appears you're arguing for patience 6 years into a rebuilding process. I wish I had your endless supply of hope.

Reactions: BuckRussel
The thing that gives me some optimism is that the Hawks are winning in the trenches. The lines have some real "push" going so far. Have to see how it holds up against Pitt.

I also liked how they "finished" the games (of course, they "finished" the Ill. St game early). They did appear to be the stronger team as the games went on.

I have thought that we were not physically competitive the last couple of years. This year, so far of course, we seem stronger and faster than the last couple of years.

If we can "win" the physical game, and toss in a few big plays, we can have a real nice season.

Reactions: nu2u
It appears you're arguing for patience 6 years into a rebuilding process. I wish I had your endless supply of hope.

I don't look at the last few seasons as a rebuilding process but more as a period of average to mediocre football. To move forward in life I think you have to put the past behind you and I very much see this season as Kirk seeing the end of his tenure here and wanting to go out on a high note whenever that comes.

For those fans still weary from the seasons of under-performance I urge you to read Torbee's article today and think about how the Hawks on Saturday provided a great example for us in not letting mistakes and past performance weigh us down. After a less than stellar first half against a better Iowa State team than we have faced as of late the coaches made some great adjustments especially on defense and we played one of the best halves of football we've seen from the Hawks in awhile. Enjoy the moment.

I don't look at the last few seasons as a rebuilding process but more as a period of average to mediocre football. To move forward in life I think you have to put the past behind you and I very much see this season as Kirk seeing the end of his tenure here and wanting to go out on a high note whenever that comes.

For those fans still weary from the seasons of under-performance I urge you to read Torbee's article today and think about how the Hawks on Saturday provided a great example for us in not letting mistakes and past performance weigh us down. After a less than stellar first half against a better Iowa State team than we have faced as of late the coaches made some great adjustments especially on defense and we played one of the best halves of football we've seen from the Hawks in awhile. Enjoy the moment.

I could've sworn you said we are in a rebuilding period. Did I imagine that?

I could've sworn you said we are in a rebuilding period. Did I imagine that?

I see this as a starting over season which you can certainly call re-building if you like but I don't see this as a continuation from the last few seasons which I think seems easy to get caught up in. I frankly didn't look forward to football season starting at all so my hope and optimism about what I've seen early seems a refreshing change. We seem to have the right factors coming together to creative some positive movement.

Honest question: How do you decide which year is a rebuilding year?

I guess I look at this from Kirk's perspective since I match him in age. He has the fans riding him, decreased ticket sales and a new administration at Iowa that may look at athletics in a totally different light than the previous one. And we have no way of knowing but maybe he has no intention of coaching through the remainder of his contract. So he wants to go out with a bang and leave on good terms. And in the offseason I think Kirk did some real soul searching and figuring out ways to come out of his comfort zone which at this age I know doesn't come easy.

You just didn't see the drive from Kirk the past few seasons that you see this season where he seems to have everybody coaches and players onboard with him. If you looked at the past few seasons as re-building years at times we seemed on the verge of breaking through but never got over the hump. I see this season as different because I think we have a different set of dynamics in play.

The boys are clearly playing much better than same time last season and that is the only thing that is clear.

Good post Mark. Churchill was 66 years old when he became PM. He began life in the last great cavalry charge of the British Army, 45 years earlier. He managed a war that went from bi planes to ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons in only 5 years. Old men can learn very quickly when they must.

I guess I look at this from Kirk's perspective since I match him in age. He has the fans riding him, decreased ticket sales and a new administration at Iowa that may look at athletics in a totally different light than the previous one. And we have no way of knowing but maybe he has no intention of coaching through the remainder of his contract. So he wants to go out with a bang and leave on good terms. And in the offseason I think Kirk did some real soul searching and figuring out ways to come out of his comfort zone which at this age I know doesn't come easy.

You just didn't see the drive from Kirk the past few seasons that you see this season where he seems to have everybody coaches and players onboard with him. If you looked at the past few seasons as re-building years at times we seemed on the verge of breaking through but never got over the hump. I see this season as different because I think we have a different set of dynamics in play.

What makes you say that? My impression is that he has had the same drive in every season.

Completely agree. My 5-7 prediction is on the verge of being slightly upgraded. Lose this week, and it's still alive.

I'm not convinced of anything yet.
Yes, Beathard is looking good thus far. Great 3/4 quarters against the 'clones (1st qtr. not so much).
But they haven't beaten anybody of consequence.
With this schedule they need to show me what they can do in the wisky game. If they get to that game 4-0 and win it, then I'll start to believe. Maybe even if they look good in a close loss.

This is true, however; I think even the most pessimistic fans would admit that this year 2-0 seems different than barely beating UNI and Ball State last year. We dominated a very very good FCS team and overcame adversity in a hostile environment against our rival who has been a thorn in our side in the KF era. I mean "upsets" happen and have been happening-TOledo over Arkansas, PSU beat by Temple, etc....so these things do happen. Furthermore, it has been well document that our "better" teams at Iowa seem to beat ISU while our "mediocre" teams seem to find a way to lose the ISU game.....this game could have went either way for 3 quarters, but the team found a way to win....not saying I am ready to anoint this team, but I do think we have are heading in a positive direction

If they play entire games the way they played the second half Saturday, they could be good. Really good, actually. Especially on D. If they play like they did in the first half, no so much.

What makes you say that? My impression is that he has had the same drive in every season.

Your question gets to the heart of where we look at the present moment differently. I see a hungry Kirk Ferentz this season and go back to the comment he made offseason that most of us ignored that we would see a different Iowa team on the field this fall- two games in that seems on the money. I don't think that Kirk deliberately dialed things down but signing that big time, long-term contract couldn't help but affect his outlook and how he viewed his job security. In the mediocre seasons that followed the complaints about Kirk's coaching centered around his play it safe field position philosophy and his stubborn refusal to step out of his comfort zone and virtually everyone grew frustrated with our inability to close out tight games.

Let's see where this goes but up this point things have a very different feel from what we have grown used to.

It is not just being 2-0.... It is how we are playing and WHO is playing and how the game is being called. All of this is upside vs last year. We have a trophy back in the case. Next step for two weeks is to protect our house. I think it will be a very electric nite Saturday and it should be. Take care of business and we will be 4-0 and let the second season begin! Whisky is beatable. Hell anyone in the west is beatable so the opportunity is there. Yes, it was there last year but if we are fortunate enough to stay healthy we have an offensive leader. We have a team that LOOKS like they are determined and are having fun and playing off one another. It's early but I see a chip on their shoulder that was not there last year. Part of that is CJ.....part of that is a different style of coaching. One play sticks out to me more than any in the Iowa State game. 3rd and 21 from our 6. You KNOW what we would have done last year. This year the team seems inspired by the coaching staff believing in THEM....and oh yeah, we have a guy that can make that throw.
Loud and Proud on Saturday boys. If we lose it will not be because we pulled in our horns. I don't know where we will finish but I know this team won't quit. I like 'em.

Success this year will be based more on another weak schedule than talent or coaching in my opinion. I think if we are flat over the next three years in both talent and coaching ability that you will see other teams in our division pass us. Those need to improve heavily.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT