ADVERTISEMENT

2 stats that let Minny hang around

drh1150

HR MVP
Jan 11, 2003
28 minutes for Garza.
1-7 for Joe W.

In a game I thought Joe would be hunting shots, he was a non-factor. And for a guy that has offensive skills it is odd how easy he is taken out of the game. It happened at IU as well.

I would like to see him step out well beyond the 3 line and shoot uncontested shots on ocassi

Regardless, great to get a road win.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Garza is by far the best player in the league. Not a doubt in my mind. The lack of respect that he gets, mainly on the the court, is a joke.

Wieskamp has been figured out for the most part. Get physical with him. Grab and obstruct his cutting lanes. You will shut him down for the most part. Not a ref in the league going to call a foul consistently in regards to player movement this far into the season.

Last edited:
JW needs to be told to shoot with some in his face......he had space to put up shots. How can you not love having a green light to shoot compared to everyone but Garza?

Wieskamp has been figured out for the most part. Get physical with him. Grab and obstruct his cutting lanes. You will shut him down for the most part.

Yup. He's an offensive weapon if he's open, but if the double teams on Garza don't come from his defender he struggles to get open and beat good B10 perimeter defenders one-on-one in drives to the basket. I don't mean to knock the kid at all because he's so important to the team, but he's not a future NBA player like so many seem to think he is.

And because teams have figured him out Joe just doesn't have the mental instincts to maximize his skillset. He just doesn't fit well in these very physical Big Ten games like we had today and face most of the time. Maybe a sports psychologist would help him who knows?

Reactions: Eternal Return
Joe need some of Connor's attitude and toughness to rub off on him. The thought of him leaving early for the NBA is comical.

He cuts to the same spots on the floor, it’s an easy guard. Either he curls it or flattens is out at the top of the perimeter. When’s the last time he had a back cut. He needs to to a better job moving without the ball

Garza is by far the best player in the league. Not a doubt in my mind. The lack of respect that he gets, mainly in the the court, is a joke.

Wieskamp has been figured out for the most part. Get physical with him. Grab and obstruct his cutting lanes. You will shut him down for the most part. Not a ref in the league going to call a foul consistently in regards to player movement this far into the season.

I agree the Big Ten refs will not call that this far into the season. Whoever was guarding him today was absolutely assaulting Wieskamp every time he tried to cut it drove. However, that is what has me optimistic that he might get those calls come the NCAA Tournament.

And because teams have figured him out Joe just doesn't have the mental instincts to maximize his skillset. He just doesn't fit well in these very physical Big Ten games like we had today and face most of the time. Maybe a sports psychologist would help him who knows?
And spell check would help you, "metal instincts"

Reactions: JStandefer
Joe needs a little Peter Jok swagger, if he can develop that he'll be a monster.

He's not as pure of a shooter as Jok. Hell, Jok made shots with guys all over him. Still, you're right about Jok's swagger. Peter worked like a beast to get open his senior year when the other team was completely focusing on him. I'm not sure he has Jok's athletic ability, though, either.

EDIT: Maybe some work in the offseason to get stronger physically AND mentally? Maybe he can still get there.

He's not as pure of a shooter as Jok. Hell, Jok made shots with guys all over him. Still, you're right about Jok's swagger. Peter worked like a beast to get open his senior year when the other team was completely focusing on him. I'm not sure he has Jok's athletic ability, though, either.

I feel like Joe possesses as good of mechanics that Peter did, he's just more hesitant to let it fly. There are times I feel like Joe misses a couple shots and becomes hesitant the rest of the game. He needs to transition to the mentality of becoming a volume shooter or really work on getting to the rim, because he doesn't have the mid range game and officials don't give a **** if someone is pulling your jersey out of your shorts around a screen.

Jok could miss his first 5 shots and it didn't matter... he was still going to shoot. Jok's ball handling was way more limited than Joe's, so I feel like Joe can actually take his man off the dribble as long as it's going towards the bucket.

I don't feel we pass sharp and quickly enough. Bakari and Joe tend to be dribblers. Also another outside threat like CJ or Jordan makes Joe W. life easier as well. Today, let's face it----shut down Joe, try to shut down Luka would be two main keys to victory.

I agree the Big Ten refs will not call that this far into the season. Whoever was guarding him today was absolutely assaulting Wieskamp every time he tried to cut it drove. However, that is what has me optimistic that he might get those calls come the NCAA Tournament.

You can see how frustrated Wieskamp gets. For a guy who generally shows little to no emotion, you can see it. I thought IU did a heck of a job getting physical with him too.

Hopefully Fran can get a few plays designed where he doesn’t need to cut in a lot of traffic. If Joe W can get going, this team will be extremely difficult for a lot of the B1G.

Last edited:
I kind of do a self spell check but caught it and changed it before you posted. I thought it seemed really funny the first time I noticed it :)
I don't usually call people on spelling mistakes. Not sure why I did there other than I thought that you might be unfair in your assessment of Joe's mental instincts.

Reactions: JStandefer
I feel like Joe possesses as good of mechanics that Peter did, he's just more hesitant to let it fly. There are times I feel like Joe misses a couple shots and becomes hesitant the rest of the game. He needs to transition to the mentality of becoming a volume shooter or really work on getting to the rim, because he doesn't have the mid range game and officials don't give a **** if someone is pulling your jersey out of your shorts around a screen.

Jok could miss his first 5 shots and it didn't matter... he was still going to shoot. Jok's ball handling was way more limited than Joe's, so I feel like Joe can actually take his man off the dribble as long as it's going towards the bucket.

Yeah, I mean, Joe doesn't have that Jok mindset, that "belief in himself" swagger that Jok had. If Joe gets pressure in his face it affects his confidence and mechanics shooting the ball. With Jok, it just didn't matter. It's a hell of a weight to put on Weiskamp to hold him up to the Jok standard, though. I think people are doing it because of the hype he got coming out of high school and thinking he was surefire NBA player. I remember people wondering BEFORE his freshman season even began if he'd be a one-and-done. The expectations were ridiculous and unrealistic. He wasn't a top 15 guy and you pretty much have to be that high in recruiting rankings to justify believing a guy even has a chance to be a one-and-done.

Garza is by far the best player in the league. Not a doubt in my mind. The lack of respect that he gets, mainly on the the court, is a joke.

I agree with the above comment. JW is going to have to be much more adept at cutting and make better decisions. His play today was really not helpful on the offensive end of the court.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Was Joe W. even on the floor during the final 10+point run to end the game? Seemed like it was Bakari, Connor, Kreiner, Luka, and Pemsl.

I don't usually call people on spelling mistakes. Not sure why I did there other than I thought that you might be unfair in your assessment of Joe's mental instincts.

Fair enough not that I took offense to your calling out the error. I did four warships in the Navy and developed my mental toughness through that experience after going into the military as a fairly meek individual. Never played sports so not sure how you develop a more aggressive mindset in that arena. Joe just has too much talent not to make more of a consistent impact than he does. I do bodybuilding now and it all starts with the mind.

Yeah, I mean, Joe doesn't have that Jok mindset, that "belief in himself" swagger that Jok had. If Joe gets pressure in his face it affects his confidence and mechanics shooting the ball. With Jok, it just didn't matter. It's a hell of a weight to put on Weiskamp to hold him up to the Jok standard, though. I think people are doing it because of the hype he got coming out of high school and thinking he was surefire NBA player. I remember people wondering BEFORE his freshman season even began if he'd be a one-and-done. The expectations were ridiculous and unrealistic. He wasn't a top 15 guy and you pretty much have to be that high in recruiting rankings to justify believing a guy even has a chance to be a one-and-done.

Yeah that's fair, I never thought Joe would be a leave early player, let alone a one and done guy. He's a great player and I love watching him play, but he just needs to add one more dynamic to his game. He's a hard guy to gauge as a player, and I *think* what's missing is a bit of attitude... he has all of the tools but is just missing a little bit of that "it" factor that guys like Aaron White or Peter Jok brought to the table. He shows flashes of it, so we know it's in there... it's more about bringing that out more consistently, which is a lot to ask.

Yup. He's an offensive weapon if he's open, but if the double teams on Garza don't come from his defender he struggles to get open and beat good B10 perimeter defenders one-on-one in drives to the basket. I don't mean to knock the kid at all because he's so important to the team, but he's not a future NBA player like so many seem to think he is.
I suggest you go back and look at some previous games. He did just fine driving to the basket one on one in them. What happened today was that Iowa's spacing sucked. When he drove to the basket, because of the spacing, two or three guys collapsed on him with impunity as with no Garza to worry about much of the time, there were no real other scoring options on the court.

I think it would be smart for Fran to run some sets allowing Joe to post his man up. It’s a good way to get easy buckets and/or draw fouls to get to the free throw line. I believe that would help him in the confidence department.

Fair enough not that I took offense to your calling out the error. I did four warships in the Navy and developed my mental toughness through that experience after going into the military as a fairly meek individual. Never played sports so not sure how you develop a more aggressive mindset in that arena. Joe just has too much talent not to make more of a consistent impact than he does. I do bodybuilding now and it all starts with the mind.

Maybe this workout could inspire Joe in the offseason?

funny-gifs-this-is-hypnotic.gif

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
I suggest you go back and look at some previous games. He did just fine driving to the basket one on one in them. What happened today was that Iowa's spacing sucked. When he drove to the basket, because of the spacing, two or three guys collapsed on him with impunity as with no Garza to worry about much of the time, there were no real other scoring options on the court.
I kind of agree. Seemed like it was too easy for Minnesota to collapse in when Weiskamp was driving. He will bounce back next game!

Well, he drove to the basket really well against ... Nebraska. But against good B10 perimeter defenders at Indiana and Minnesota he couldn't get anything going. Maybe it's playing on the road or something. But you're right, Joe isn't the type of player that can beat double teams.

Joe needs to let the ref see it then. Sell the foul if it's a foul.

1st half turnovers and offensive rebounds given up vs. 2nd half turnovers and offensive rebounds given up.

For Iowa, it really is that simple. Take care of the ball and don't give up 2nd chance opportunities.

We are so efficient offensively when we do those things we are tough to beat.

JoeW is ahead of where Jok was as a sophomore. I think Jok was closer to 10-11 ppg as Sophomore. Jok was better pure shooter, JoeW is better athlete. It comes down to Joe needing more perimeter help--too many of the Iowa players are non-scorers so all the defensive emphasis is on JoeW in perimeter game. Joe does need to hunt more shots...7 shots is not enough.

I love the kid from Muscatine, but Joe W. had his worst game as a collegian today . . . That's the bad news. The good news is really good: Iowa won anyway, even with CJF out with the ankle. And Joe was benched for a good part of the second half. He reminded me, in a bad way, of Jarrod Uthoff today.

Several times it looked like Joe W was giving up. His body language was horrible, and more than once he was barely jogging back on defense.

Frankly, he looked physically ill. And if he was, good for him for giving it a go. But if he was healthy, wow....

Joe seemed super frustrated and basically wilted in the face of, let's admit it, the holding and grabbing that Minnesota got away with. That's not basketball. That's not "Big Ten" basketball. That's BS. But Joe has to get tough and let the opponent know he's not going to back down and let them bully him. I was embarrassed for him today. He needs to buck up and redeem himself @ East Lansing and Champagne.

BTW: The officials were horrible. Like it or not, those are the facts. Oturu played the entire first half without a foul, despite lowering his shoulder and driving into Garza's chest like a fullback running a dive play on the goal line. Again, that's BS, not basketball, and there is no excuse for the officials allowing it.

I mentioned this in another post. Someone that has a good memory and more knowledge than I, fill in some info. Didn't Indiana run Alford off of 3 or 4 screens running around the outside and then the guard would zip him the ball in the corner or at the corner of the F.T. line??? He always seem to get open. We just sort of freelance the individual screens and have no actual plays like that.

info on Jok as a SO he avg 7.0 ppg
Joe as a SO is avg'ing 15.4 ppg

Jok as a JR avg'd 16.1 ppg

Joe is doing just fine, Jok as a SO had these playing with him
Aaron White
Jared Uthoff
Olaseni
Gesell
Woodbury
Clemmons
a far deeper team than what Joe has,
to even compare the 2 is like comparing a grape to a watermelon.

ADVERTISEMENT