ADVERTISEMENT

2 yard passes

RomanHawk

HB MVP
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2019
IMO, to successfully compete with other top 10 teams, requires having an offense that
either 1) has a QB who can buy time in the pocket on passing downs when necessary and
make a few 1st downs with his feet or 2) is a top level passing team with an accurate QB,
outstanding WRs, and excellent play design/play calling.

We are showing neither and are refusing to see if we have one. One aspect that can
partially offset that is "smart play". By that I mean calling plays that have a reasonably
high chance of success in each situation and in which that success will move the chains.
Also a high level of risk/reward decision making.

As an example, for years we have ended countless drives by throwing for 5 yards on 3rd and 7.
Now we have added throwing for 2 yards on 2nd and 7. I haven't counted the number of passes
that went downfield 2 yards or less but it had to be at least 6. The BEST result on those passes
into the flat (accurate throw and a catch) is 2 yards because while the defender might be too
far away to break it up, he is close enough to draw a bead on the receiver and prevent YAC.

So why are we running a play with the reasonable expectation of gaining 2 yards on 2nd and 7?
That is simply a wasted down and impairs an offense that's already consistency impaired. And
if that pass is tipped or overthrown, the chances of a pick 6 are much greater that for a 7 yard pass.

I've seen nothing to indicate that we'll be able to move the ball consistently against WI or PSU.
But the first step is to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. Some have argued that we are saving
better play calling for more crucial situations. But our history shows that repetition is one of our keys and that suddenly running something new is usually a bigger surprise (unpleasant) to us than to our opponent.

I don't think we'll get more from our QB, but it would be great if our OC could step up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News