ADVERTISEMENT

20 Year Drought: Who will be the next Hawkeye selected in the 1st Round of the NBA Draft?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I think it is safe to assume Peter Jok will not be drafted in the first round of this year's NBA draft.

Therefore, next year will mark the 20 year anniversary of the last time a Hawkeye (Ricky Davis, 1998) was drafted in the first round.

Who will be the next Hawkeye selected in the 1st round of the NBA Draft? Is that person currently on the roster or soon to be on the roster?

I am guessing Patrick McCaffery.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGot5onIt
Tyler has a lot to learn from a passing and footwork standpoint, but the dude is a freak athlete. His game is Basabe squared. Not a great shooter at the moment but does have a decent looking shot and I think 75% from the line would not be out of the realm of possibility.

Fran has a good history of guys going from 2:1 TO's/Ast in Freshman years and going the inverse in Sophomore seasons. I would expect to see Tyler be better with the ball in his hands. The NBA is based on pick and roll play and Tyler is an exceptional finisher off pick and roll situations.

Cook is very close, he just needs two extra components to his game. Tyler needs to add a 17-20 foot jumper and secondly, develop his ball handling/passing game. If Tyler adds those two parts, I believe he will be 1st round for sure. I would say lottery pick.

And not to toot my own horn but I was the one who said before the 2013 season that Ejim was a top ten national player in college and people laughed at me. Dude became 2nd team AA that year. Cook has higher ceiling than Ejim just because he is bigger and stronger.

Last edited:
Cook could be a late to mid first rounder in a couple years.

He needs to get way better at defense and rebounding for that to happen.

If its not TC next potetial guy would be Weiskamp IMO.

Cook could be a late to mid first rounder in a couple years.

He needs to get way better at defense and rebounding for that to happen.

If its not TC next potetial guy would be Weiskamp IMO.
Not going to happen unless he is one of the top two or three non freshmen in the country if the draft plays out like the mock drafts predicts this year.

NBADraft.net has12 of the top13 lottery players being freshmen with the other one being an international player with only 2 juniors and 1 senior in the first round. The chances of a player being drafted even in the late first round are slim to none for juniors and seniors.

Land of 10 mock draft has 14 of the top17 in their mock draft being freshmen with 2 being international players and one sophomore. Their top 30 includes 15 freshmen, 8 sophomores, 2 juniors, 2 seniors and 3 international players. More international players usually get drafted in the first round but they probably don't know what ones will declare.

Right now Draft Express mock draft lists 16 freshmen, 8 sophomores, 2 juniors, 0 seniors and 4 international players in their first round which is pretty consistent. If a player doesn't declare after his sophomore year he has little chance being drafted anywhere in the first round. I also noticed at least in the early mock drafts tis year there was hardly a freshman to be found in the second round.

Reactions: blockm2
Don't see it from the current roster or future commits at this point.

Of course things can change, a player could have a major breakthrough.

With the one and doners and international players, though, that doesn't leave a lot of spots open. The nba D-league team in Lexington, KY could get 4 or 5 of their guys alone into the first round in a given year.

Not going to happen unless he is one of the top two or three non freshmen in the country if the draft plays out like the mock drafts predicts this year.

NBADraft.net has12 of the top13 lottery players being freshmen with the other one being an international player with only 2 juniors and 1 senior in the first round. The chances of a player being drafted even in the late first round are slim to none for juniors and seniors.

Land of 10 mock draft has 14 of the top17 in their mock draft being freshmen with 2 being international players and one sophomore. Their top 30 includes 15 freshmen, 8 sophomores, 2 juniors, 2 seniors and 3 international players. More international players usually get drafted in the first round but they probably don't know what ones will declare.

Right now Draft Express mock draft lists 16 freshmen, 8 sophomores, 2 juniors, 0 seniors and 4 international players in their first round which is pretty consistent. If a player doesn't declare after his sophomore year he has little chance being drafted anywhere in the first round. I also noticed at least in the early mock drafts tis year there was hardly a freshman to be found in the second round.

I agree, its trending that way but this draft has a stronger than normal freshman class.

The year before had allot more non freshman 1st rounders.

Tyler has a lot to learn from a passing and footwork standpoint, but the dude is a freak athlete. His game is Basabe squared. Not a great shooter at the moment but does have a decent looking shot and I think 75% from the line would not be out of the realm of possibility.

Fran has a good history of guys going from 2:1 TO's/Ast in Freshman years and going the inverse in Sophomore seasons. I would expect to see Tyler be better with the ball in his hands. The NBA is based on pick and roll play and Tyler is an exceptional finisher off pick and roll situations.

Cook is very close, he just needs two extra components to his game. Tyler needs to add a 17-20 foot jumper and secondly, develop his ball handling/passing game. If Tyler adds those two parts, I believe he will be 1st round for sure. I would say lottery pick.

And not to toot my own horn but I was the one who said before the 2013 season that Ejim was a top ten national player in college and people laughed at me. Dude became 2nd team AA that year. Cook has higher ceiling than Ejim just because he is bigger and stronger.

The question was, who will be the next Hawkeye to be selected in the 1st round of the NBA draft....with no reference to what year or when. That's why I said Moss, both players are athletic and Cook is a freak of nature but has not shown the ability to do anything on the court with any sort of consistency except to dunk a basketball, where Moss lacks consistency he can do so much more. Just have to wait and see which Iowa player takes that giant leap.

I just think that P McCaffery is going to get better and better and when he fills in/gains weight, he could be a match up nightmare in college; only time will tell

I just think that P McCaffery is going to get better and better and when he fills in/gains weight, he could be a match up nightmare in college; only time will tell
It will be interesting to see how Patrick progresses physically. I'm not sure he'll be able to put on much weight, given his thyroid situation after his fight with cancer. Certainly he'll have access to the best trainers and medical opinions, so who knows. Wish him the best, as he's been through plenty in his young life.

It will be interesting to see how Patrick progresses physically. I'm not sure he'll be able to put on much weight, given his thyroid situation after his fight with cancer. Certainly he'll have access to the best trainers and medical opinions, so who knows. Wish him the best, as he's been through plenty in his young life.

forgot about the thyroid issue; i hope he can put the weight on! i think he has to take pills the rest of his life, too

Nunge or Patty Mac, both are either close to 7 ft or should be when they are done.

Last edited:
Weiskamp has brought comparisons to Luke Kennard, who is projected to go in the first round.

None are likely candidates, but he's the best one. The 1st Round is dominated by one-and-done type players and upcoming stars from overseas (it seems like everyone is still searching for the next elusive Dirk or Ginobli). Weiskamp does not fit the mold of a one-and-done type player, but if he has a nice career at Iowa he could possibly go in the 20-30 range. It just isn't likely. I mean, look at some of the names drafted in the 2nd Round last year: Tyler Ulis, A.J. Hammons, Georges Niang, Marcus Paige. You talk about kids who had a lot of accolades in college.

Also, unless Tyler Cook improves leaps and bounds on defense in the next 3 years and develops a mid-range game he will be DLeague/Europe bound.

Just for the heck of it, I'll go out on a limb and say Luka Garza. If he turns out to be another Domantas Sabonis, he should be picked in the first round, but not sure what year that may be. Garza somehow reminds me of a Sabonis.

Obviously Tyler Cook. You'll all see after this upcoming season

Think of all the players we thought of as great at Iowa and Big that never made it. How crazy good do you have to be to play in that league?

Think of all the players we thought of as great at Iowa and Big that never made it. How crazy good do you have to be to play in that league?

remember, too, that only first round picks get guaranteed contracts; nothing is guaranteed if you are picked in the 2nd round

i think part of the reason is that players are playing way into their 30's and there are not a lot of job openings; last year, for example, the Timberwolves had only one first year player on their roster; everybody else had been there at least one year or was a free agent acquisition

remember, too, that only first round picks get guaranteed contracts; nothing is guaranteed if you are picked in the 2nd round

i think part of the reason is that players are playing way into their 30's and there are not a lot of job openings; last year, for example, the Timberwolves had only one first year player on their roster; everybody else had been there at least one year or was a free agent acquisition

Yeah, its the most exclusive pro sports leauge in the world because the rosters are so small, they dont turn over as much and they select players from all over the globe, not just a few countries.

Its nothing like the nfl.

he needs a 15 foot jump shot and needs to make his FTs; agree?

what else am i missing? LOL
I think the FT shooting will button up this year. His form looked so much better from beginning of year to end.. I don't particularly think that will be a hindrance moving forward.

Obviously he has a lot of work to do... and I don't have an argument other than my eye test and optimism.. but I think his rebounding and shot blocking ability will take major jumps this upcoming season.

I think there is an outside chance for Tyler Cook, if he can develop a consistent outside shot- However, he is kind of a tweaner when it comes to his size.

I would have to say there is nobody on the current roster that would break the streak and Weiskamp(sp?) will break the streak.....

I know cook doesn't have the rebounding and blocking ability yet, but he reminds me of Taj Gibson

Reactions: Hawkfreak2k15
If we go on a huge run, like a Final Four run, that will push some guys into the first round. Michigan's run from a few years ago nudged some guys like Mitch McGary into the first, and I could see Garza or someone being at least that good.

For the most part it doesn't seem like it matters what players considered one and done do in their one year in the NBA. Some of them aren't even starters but teams and scouts do love players who have a wingspan greater than their height.

I honestly don't care all that much. I'm fine with a bunch of guys that are second rounders (who are still phenomenal players -- guys like Devyn Marble, Aaron White, Uthoff, probably Jok). You can win a lot of games if you have these guys. First rounders are mostly one and dones. Can't build a team around these guys unless you can recruit them every year. Iowa will never do that. Even Michigan State can't manage that with the program Izzo has built.

ADVERTISEMENT