ADVERTISEMENT

2003 Orange Bowl Pep Rally

Ol' Doodle assumes you're referring to the NY Eve event at the Swimming Hall of Fame. It was a crazy, loud, drunken good time. Doodle has lots of photos....but no vids.
Do you have any pictures of a drunk 19 year old who interjected himself in the parents introduction line and then introduced himself to the 20k people by chance? :)

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
I was there, no pics though. That was the largest turnout I've ever seen for one of those. Miami beach convention center if I remember right. I think they estimated around 20k people. crazy.

Wish I had video ... I have photos ... It was a trip of a lifetime. Pulled up to the stadium and you would have thought you just pulled into Kinnick ... I'll never, ever forget that particular moment ...
I echo this statement. USC fans at a minimum. Completely looked and felt like a home game. At the Hawkeye Huddle it was estimated around 30,000 fans I believe. One of the bowl officials stated he had never seen anything like it, mentioned Notre Dame might have been in second place having around 2,500 fans at their huddle.

So Bro D, what's the story?
I echo the statements here. The amount of Iowa fans in Miami was incredible and the amount of people at the Hawkeye Huddle was insane.

So anyway, I was a freshman at Iowa and went to the pep rally. I was at the front up by the stage with some buddies. I noticed a very long line forming to go on stage. They were Hawkeye football family members and were going be introduced by Dolph. It was one of those "Who are you here representing" -> Well My name is Betty Clark and my son is Dallas Clark. Everyone claps and they move on to the next family member.

So logically, like any other 19 year old who had a few beers would do, I interjected myself in said line. I didn't really have much of a plan after that. So the line is slowly moving and I am in between two sets of parents... for the life of me I can't remember who they were. Anyway the parents behind me kept asking me what I was doing there. I kept telling them "I'm Derek Pagel's brother" (I'm not). They were not amused. The parents in front of me thought it was hilarious and I was laughing it up with that dad (wish I remembered who it was). So here we are making our way closer to the stage and next thing you know I'm on stage. Dolph gets to me and asks "And who are you here representing". My response was something along the lines of "Well Dolph, I'm not really with anybody and I'm not supposed to be up here. I'm just a fan. GO HAWKS!" Proceeded to jump around the stage like Rocky taking pictures of the audience. The crowd of 25K people started going nuts. lol it was awesome. I had so many people come up to me at the tailgate next day saying how funny it was. I had such a good time (other than you know, the actual game)

Have always wanted to see if anyone ever got that on video. Would love to see 19 year old BroD acting a fool

/csb

Last edited:
What would it take for Iowa to draw that big of following again?

I really do hope Kirk will be able to see that passion again before he retires.

What would it take for Iowa to draw that big of following again?

I really do hope Kirk will be able to see that passion again before he retires.
Didn't that many people go to the last Rose Bowl Iowa was in? Not necessarily the rally, but the bowl itself?

I have pics of the tailgate I took from atop our van. A sea of black and gold.

I echo the statements here. The amount of Iowa fans in Miami was incredible and the amount of people at the Hawkeye Huddle was insane.

So anyway, I was a freshman at Iowa and went to the pep rally. I was at the front up by the stage with some buddies. I noticed a very long line forming to go on stage. They were Hawkeye football family members and were going be introduced by Dolph. It was one of those "Who are you here representing" -> Well My name is Betty Clark and my son is Dallas Clark. Everyone claps and they move on to the next family member.

So logically, like any other 19 year old who had a few beers would do, I interjected myself in said line. I didn't really have much of a plan after that. So the line is slowly moving and I am in between two sets of parents... for the life of me I can't remember who they were. Anyway the parents behind me kept asking me what I was doing there. I kept telling them "I'm Derek Pagel's brother" (I'm not). They were not amused. The parents in front of me thought it was hilarious and I was laughing it up with that dad (wish I remembered who it was). So here we are making our way closer to the stage and next thing you know I'm on stage. Dolph gets to me and asks "And who are you here representing". My response was something along the lines of "Well Dolph, I'm not really with anybody and I'm supposed to be up here. I'm just a fan. GO HAWKS!" Proceeded to jump around the stage like Rocky taking pictures of the audience. The crowd of 25K people started going nuts. lol it was awesome. I had so many people come up to me at the tailgate next day saying how funny it was. I had such a good time (other than you know, the actual game)

Have always wanted to see if anyone ever got that on video. Would love to see 19 year old BroD acting a fool

/csb

Remember you!, but no pics. Sorry.
But also remember Hawk fans swarming the USC team bus as it pulled up to the stadium before game and everyone chanting/yelling Lets Go Hawks!
Crowd noise on CJ Jones td return was incredible!

Reactions: BDJHawk and Bro D
Remember you!, but no pics. Sorry.
But also remember Hawk fans swarming the USC team bus as it pulled up to the stadium before game and everyone chanting/yelling Lets Go Hawks!
Crowd noise on CJ Jones td return was incredible!
...and driving Tamiami (Tampa to Miami) day before was like driving from DSM to IC on gameday, except you honked at EVERYONE cause it was ALL Hawks

I know in 2010 the Iowa fans absolutely raised the roof off The Clevelander which is a club in South Beach. I do know this if we ever get another Orange Bowl invite I'm gone

Didn't that many people go to the last Rose Bowl Iowa was in? Not necessarily the rally, but the bowl itself?

I have pics of the tailgate I took from atop our van. A sea of black and gold.
I didn't go, but it wasn't talked about like the 2003 season was.

So logically, like any other 19 year old who had a few beers would do, I interjected myself in said line. I didn't really have much of a plan after that. So the line is slowly moving and I am in between two sets of parents... for the life of me I can't remember who they were. Anyway the parents behind me kept asking me what I was doing there. I kept telling them "I'm Derek Pagel's brother" (I'm not). They were not amused. The parents in front of me thought it was hilarious and I was laughing it up with that dad (wish I remembered who it was). So here we are making our way closer to the stage and next thing you know I'm on stage. Dolph gets to me and asks "And who are you here representing". My response was something along the lines of "Well Dolph, I'm not really with anybody and I'm not supposed to be up here. I'm just a fan. GO HAWKS!" Proceeded to jump around the stage like Rocky taking pictures of the audience. The crowd of 25K people started going nuts. lol it was awesome. I had so many people come up to me at the tailgate next day saying how funny it was. I had such a good time (other than you know, the actual game)

/csb
I got told by a bunch of 19 year olds to hit the road old man ha ha in 2003 I was like mid 30s

Reactions: Wadzinator
I echo this statement. USC fans at a minimum. Completely looked and felt like a home game. At the Hawkeye Huddle it was estimated around 30,000 fans I believe. One of the bowl officials stated he had never seen anything like it, mentioned Notre Dame might have been in second place having around 2,500 fans at their huddle.
Yeah the Hawkeye Huddle was INSANE ... I have a picture of me on the stage with the crowd behind me ... That hall was overflowing with Hawk fans ... Truly an incredible experience ...

That Orange Bowl huddle was crazy. They absolutely ran out of beer and fairly quickly. It was pretty fun.

I was there. Have pics somewhere. That was a great bowl experience right up until the bowl game. The sea of black and gold was something I will never forget. Stood out more than the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: Herkmeister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT