Name: Austin Schulte
High School: Pella
Position: Defensive End
Graduation Year: 2016
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 230 pounds
Video: Hudl

Q: Why did you end up picking Iowa?
SCHULTE: This past weekend I had been at North Dakota State and I was trying to choose between them and Iowa. The big thing for me was the distance. It was so far of a drive to get there. I felt like that was one of the big things and also Garret (Jansen) is at Iowa. I'd have an opportunity to play with him again and I was really looking forward to that.

Q: What advice did Garret give you after Iowa offered?
SCHULTE: He just said to pick the place with the coaches that you want to spend time with. That was a big thing for him. He also said to make sure you are not missing anything in recruiting.

Q: How much impact did the Iowa coaches have on your decision?
SCHULTE: Reese Morgan is an awesome guy. He came down to the school two times and watched a couple of track meets. I got to know him pretty well and at camp I got coached by him for my position. He is a great guy and was a big reason why I picked Iowa."

Q: Where do you expect to start at position wise?
SCHULTE:I think I'll start at defensive end.

Q: How do you feel about the switch?
SCHULTE: I kind of knew it was coming. I asked my coach and said he could see me playing because not too many colleges have 6-4, 240 pound linebackers. He said that the switch could be coming so I have been preparing for it for a while.

Q: After Iowa offered following their camp, was it a matter of time before you picked the Hawkeyes or were you really undecided?
SCHULTE: "I was still up in the air between North Dakota State and Iowa. I ended up feeling like Iowa was the place that I was supposed to be so I choose that.

Q: What was the reaction from the Iowa coaches when you committed?
SCHULTE: "I tried calling Coach Morgan but he was at a wedding and didn’t answer. I called Coach Ferentz and I started out by telling him I was at the North Dakota State camp. He originally thought I was committed to North Dakota State and that I was calling after I had committed there. When I told him I was committing to Iowa, he freaked out. It was awesome.

Q: Did he seem worried that you were picking North Dakota State?
SCHULTE: No, not really. He thought that it was since I was calling from them.

Q: When will you be back in Iowa City?
SCHULTE: I'm going up Wednesday for a school visit.

Q: What is your relationship with some of the other in-state guys that committed?
SCHULTE: I have known TJ (Hockenson) for a while since we play each other in a lot of sports. I met Spencer (Williams) at camp. Those are awesome guys. They will be great teammates in the future.

Q: What are you working on for the rest of the summer as a player?
SCHULTE: I'll work on my quickness, overall strength, and speed."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.