ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Recruiting Needs

captainkk

HB All-American
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2006
I was looking at the FB scholarship breakdown (very nice feature Blair and Tom) and was struck at some of the imbalances of the scholarships. It will be very intriguing to see how things shake out for how many scholarships go to each position. Of course, we’ve seen all too frequently how attrition can take a “deep” position and make it very thin in the course of a few months. So, you have to keep some balance in recruiting every position, but there are a few positions that Iowa needs to heavily restock during this recruiting cycle and other positions where they could afford to have a smaller impact in the 2016 class.

QB- There’s good balance here, so it would seem likely that Wiegers, Boyle/Cook (I think one of these guys will change position) and Stanley could be happy. I would hope the coaches don’t take a 2nd unless it’s a guy they think very highly of.

RB- Lots of bodies at this point after the position changes by Joly and Mitchell. 3 of the top 4 will return and Young is already verbally committed. Can’t see them taking more than 2 at RB unless they feel like one can have some position flexibility or is a can't miss impact player.

FB- Unknown if they’ll use a scholarship. Who are the younger walk-on players at FB. Any of them showing promise?

WR- There’s 4 new players at this position in 2015 (including Josh Jackson) but I would hope the coaches would find room for anyone that can help make plays. This is a prime spot for a JUCO (and they’ve already offered one out of Iowa Western. Wouldn't mind seeing another offer or two to JUCO WRs).

TE- Only 3 scholarship TEs –major area of focus in 2016. Fortunately, it’s also an area of strength in recruiting for this staff.

OL- The guys that will be seniors in 2016 have been non-contributors at this point. 11 scholarship players that will be juniors or younger. There tends to be less attrition at this position but obviously a need for development, but I would hope they don’t take more than 2 guys.

DE- 5 scholarship players will return in 2016, but none of them have seen the field at this point. Strange situation. Prime JUCO opportunity as all of these guys will be sophomores or younger in 2016. Major need in this area for a talent influx, which could be said for about every season when you don’t have Clayborn or Roth on the team. It’s a logjam of young, unproven players with at least 3 of those players (Hesse, Reiff, A. Nelson) that need to grow into the position. I'm also assuming that incoming frosh Slater becomes a DT since he's already over 260 lbs.

DT- This is another area of need for the 2016 class. The freshman in the 2015 class (Jansen, Slater) need time for development. Need more bodies at this position and won’t be surprised if they take at least 3 DTs.

LB- A very strange situation at LB. There will be 10 scholarship players, all juniors or younger. Very imbalanced and a situation where you could see some transfers with lack of opportunities for playing time. However, it’s also an area where the Hawks are in good standing with some recruits early on (Niemann, Wade, Taylor). My questions is, why would they take 3 more LBs and add to an already crowded position when there are other areas of greater need?

CB- Here’s a place for some help. The top 3 guys in 2016 will be seniors and there’s unproven depth in Rucker, Truitt and Embry (if he’s on the team). No 2015 recruits at this position. I see them taking at least 3. The good news here: The staff has been excellent in recruiting this position.

S- Good depth here with Gair, Taylor, Snyder, Warfield. Could see them taking two at this position.

P- Do they dare waste another scholarship on this position? If it’s the right guy, absolutely.

So, if you’ve reached this point, thanks for hanging in there with the long post. I would love to be in on the recruiting meetings to see how they make these decisions. The good news is that a couple of the positions that need significant restocking (TE, CB) are some of this staff’s strengths. As I mentioned, a few positions are in a great situation for a JUCO impact (WR, DE) but that hasn’t been a major emphasis in the past for this staff. I would hope the staff is pretty selective at OL and LB because of the logjam from the 2015 class at those positions and focus instead on DL and CB along with making a big push for a “big fish” at WR and RB. I think it's a particularly big year for DL recruiting and it will make a big impact in 2017, either positively or negatively, with how recruiting goes at that position this year. I really think they need some JUCO help or they have to land someone who is ready to go physically, which is a challenge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News