ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Team Race

JustWrestle133

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2014
Looking ahead to next year's team race. I think it is a 6 team race. Edinboro, Missouri, and Minnesota are losing too much firepower and I don't believe they have the horses in the staple to remain in the team race for 2016.

So here are the contenders: Ohio State, Iowa, Cornell, Oklahoma State, Penn State, and maybe a bit of a surprise Michigan.

Here are what each school has returning with a loose projection.

Ohio State

125- Nathan Tomasello- Top 3.

133- Jhonny Dijulius- 4 seed this year, but failed to AA. Mid AA threat.

141- Keshawn Hayes- Freshman #8 overall recruit according to DICW.

149- Hunter Stieber- After elbow surgery, a healthy Hunter is a title threat.

157- Micah Jordan- RS Freshman, Top 10 recruit (#6)

165- Bo Jordan- Top 3

174- Mark Martin- 10 seed this year lost in round of 16, round of 12 in 2014. Low AA threat

184- Kenny Courts- 5th in 2015, Round of 12 in 2014 and 2013. Tons of talent, former top 10 recruit (#8).

197- Kyle Snyder- Top 3

Hvy- Nick Tavanello/Thomas Haines- Tavanello was injury this year, he made the round of 12 as a Freshman in 2014. Haines is a top 10 recruit (#9) who redshirted this year. Many people think he is going to beat out the Junior Tavanello.

Ohio State also have #4 overall recruit Myles Martin coming in who is projected at 184 and well as a top 50 recruit in Jose Rodriguez who is projected at 125/133, as well as Kolin Moore a top 70 recruit who is projected at 174. Ohio State also has Tom Ryan's son Jake Ryan waiting in the wings at 149 if Hunter Steiber is not healthy.

Iowa

125- Thomas Gilman- Top 3

133- Cory Clark- Top 3

141- Sam Gross- #41 overall recruit

149- Sorenson- Top 5

157- Grothus- wildcard, fringe AA. He could be a monster, he was beaten out this year by the experienced Kelly.

165- Purke Paddock- #63 overall recruit

174- Alex Meyer- #41 overall recruit, bonus point machine

184- Brooks- Low AA

197- Burak- Top 5. I don't think he is in the class of Snyder or Cox, but he is a grinder.

Hvy- Stoll- #14 overall recruit

Iowa has a few holes to fill, but they have recruited talented kids in those spots. I don't know if they have reruited as well as Ohio State or Penn State as far as immediate impact guys. It will be interesting to see how these RS Freshman who will have the opportunity next year respond. Clark, Gilman, Brooks and Sorenson were all top 25 recruits, but Meyer, Paddock, Gross are all in the next tier of prospects, not that we haven't seen many unheralded prospects become champions, but it is something to note.

Cornell

125- Nashon Garrett- Top 3, Finalist in 2014, 5th in 2015

133- Mark Grey- Round of 12 in 2014, Round of 24 in 2015. He is a fringe AA canidate

141- Not sure. Freshman Dylan Realbuto? Maybe Silverstro?

149- Alex Cisneros- Former top 10 recruit (#6) finally breaks into the lineup or incoming freshman Galasco, #23 overall recruit

157- Brian Realbuto- top 3

165- Palacio- Top 8, returning AA

174- Duke Pickett- ranked in the lower portion of the weight class in 2015 or Greyshirt Freshman, Artigeliere, who was the #52 overall recruit

184- Gabe Dean- Top 3

197- Congenie- #53 overall recruit or maybe Anderson

Hvy- Sweaney- #59 overall recruit

Cornell has the horses, Garratt, Dean, Palacio, Realbuto. It is up to the supporting cast of Grey, Cisneros, and the Freshman to see if they can make a run.

Penn State

125- Nico or Conway- Nico is top 3 Conway is a low AA

133- Gulibon- Top 8, took 5th in 2015, former top recruit

141- Zain Retherford- Top 3, former top recruit who is the last person to beat Logan Stieber

149- Zack Beitz- Fringe AA, Rd of 12 or incoming top 10 recruit (#5) Joesph.

157- Jason Nolf- Top Recruit (#4), high ceiling bonus points guy

165- Hammond- Decent freshman year, will be pushing by RS Freshman Shakur and Law

174- Bo Nickal- big shoes to fill of Matt Brown, but top recruit (#7) should be ready after his RS in 2015.

184- Mccutheon- Round of 12 in 2015, made the quarters. Should see some growth in his Sophomore campaign.

197- McIntosh- Top 3

Hvy- Nick Nevils- Top recruit (#5) should hit the ground running.

Penn State Redshirted some serious points in 2015 in order to prepare for another multi-year run at titles and it starts in 2015. Getting production from their RS Freshman will be key as well as figuring out 149 and 165 the only two question marks in the lineup.

Oklahoma State

125- Kilmara- returning AA, Top 8

133- Piccinnini- Top recruit (#4) might get pressed into service right away. We could see Pic at 125 and Kilmara up here.

141- Heil- 4th in 2015. Top recruit (#13), could be a title contender top 3 type

149- Collica- up a weight in 2015 bc of Kindig, he has made the round of 12 twice. I think at his more natural weight he is a Mid AA threat.

157- Blees- Top recruit in 2014 (#16), should be ready to compete.

165- Marstaller- One of the most hype'd Freshman I have ever seen. We shall see (#2) recruit.

174- Dieringer- Beast, I say Top 3, but he is for sure the title favorite.

184- An interesting spot- Cruchmer is a returning 5th place at 174, but Boyd is a returning NQ and was ranked 15th coming in. Plus tough recruits like Rodgers.

197- Maybe Boyd comes up here, maybe Weigel or Rodgers breaks into the lineup here. This is a question mark, but a high ceiling still.

Hvy- Mardsen- Top 5

Michigan

125- Youtsey- Returning AA, 6th in 2015, Low to mid AA

133- Bruno- Returning AA, 8th in 2015, Low to mid AA

141- Hall- #23 overall recruit

149- Pantaleo, Round of 16 as a Freshman, ranked as high as 10th

157- Murphy- Returning AA, 7th in 2015. High ceiling in 2016

165- Logan Massa- #1 overall recruit

174- Taylor Massa- former top recruit (#2), Low AA threat

184- Abounader- Former top recruit, Ranked top 8 most of the year, round of 12 in 2014 and round of 16 in 2015. High ceiling.

197- Hayden Payne- #99 overall recruit or Sisti. This is their only question mark weight class.

Hvy- Coon- finalist in 2015. Top recruit, he is going to win a title eventually.

Michigan may not have the high end guys to win a title, but they are rock solid top to bottom and if Coon, Massa, Abounader, and Murphy take then next step they could very much be in a title hunt.
This post was edited on 3/21 6:34 PM by JustWrestle133

excellent breakdown JustWrestle.
tOSU and Penn St. look scary. Iowa can contend next year for sure, but they'll have to earn it by outworking some more talented wrestlers.

Thanks, edited.

I think Ohio State, Penn State, and Iowa are top 3.

With Oklahoma State, Cornell, and Michigan nipping at their heels.

All those top wrestling recruits you mentioned should transfer to Iowa so we can win the national championship. We need to catch up to Oklahoma State in titles.

Ohio State and Penn State aren't helping that and that is disappointing. The Big Ten goes out of their way to pander to the top teams in the really big sports. They should do the same for Iowa. But seeing as how everyone hates Iowa, I guess I can understand why we have such a mountain to climb. Oh well.......

But really, those recruits should transfer to Iowa so we can win more national titles. Thank you.

I've seen some rumors on various boards projecting Cornell might move some guys up a weight. I know Grey started this year at 41 and Garrett is said to have had trouble at times with weight, they've also got a a solid greyshirt in Dalton Macri who had close losses at the scuffle to Klimara and Conaway to fill 25.
There was also speculation before this year that Realbuto and Palacio would be moving up which could open up 57 for John Jay Chavez but I'm not sure Chavez, Realbuto, Palacio would be stronger than Realbuto, Palacio, Pickett.

Originally posted by Im4Iowa:
Any chance Mega, Gulibon and Retherford bump up to make room for Conway?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
To me it would make sense if their guys could put on the weight properly. I saw on BWI that Retherford was likely to move to 149. If Guilbon moves up then I could see Conway going to 133 and Mega staying at 125. Regardless, they will be pretty tough next year.

On paper fosu look tough, losing over 25 points from Steiber will hurt but they have big name dudes at every spot. How well Hayes and the other Micah Jordan do is a big question. Micah was a big recruit, no super notable wins during his shirt but lots of tough guys to train with. Who knows what Hayes will do but another big name guy.. Martin cuts too much at 174. Courts is hot and cold. Hunter Steiber has a lot of healing to do so who knows how effective he will be at this point. A healthy Steiber and 141/157 doing well and they will be tough to beat. They have recuited well and have all the weights coved with big name guys in the wings to fill future openings.

Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, Meyer, Brooks and Burak need to all be top 4 calibur scoring 15+ points. That leaves 141, 157, 165 and 285 to get 20 to 30 more. Honesty none of those weights will have a guy who has proven crap at the weight so picking any AA status is wishful thinking at this point. Unless at least one of them can come in running and move to top 4 llike Sorensen and the rest pitch in about 10 between them it will be tough for us. If Kemmerer comes in kicking Brody's butt then wrestle him. We don't have the luxury to have better options sitting around for the sake of a redshirt. They need to plan now, not next fall. We have the most holes with the lowest rated guys looking to fill them. Stoll was highest rated recuit of our group but 285 is hardest to work into.

Like us Cornell will need some people step up who have not done much yet to be in the discussion.

PSU has some studs coming in. Mega, McIntosh and Retherford are top 4 . Nolf expected to be high up too but 157 has some studs back. Nickal is up higher in weight but 174 clears out and barring Dieringer or Jordan moving up there is no clear favorite. There are 4 or 5 285s that Nevils will have a hard time getting by, likely 5 to 8 range at best. Big question is what weight Retherford goes. To me Conaway, Mega, Gulibon and Retherford is their best lineup. Beitz is SOL unless Nolf goes 165 which could happen. I think Conaway scores more at 125 than Beitz at 149. Talk of Olympic RS by Mega as well, who knows.

Okie St. looks pretty solid next year with 197, 157 and 133 being only weights where things are unknown but good people looking to fill. They could be very tough.

Michigan will be good but still need some guys to jump in level.

Is there any chance Kemmerer can make 141 next year? 141 is really wide open for next year and he wrestled his high school season at 145.

Edit: Even if he can't, I think Gross could be a big contributor there.
This post was edited on 3/22 11:35 AM by clhawks00

This is the most commonly discussed scenario on BWI.

clhawks00 posted on 3/22/2015...
To me it would make sense if their guys could put on the weight properly. I saw on BWI that Retherford was likely to move to 149. If Guilbon moves up then I could see Conway going to 133 and Mega staying at 125. Regardless, they will be pretty tough next year.

I did this rather quickly but it looks like Iowa has 58.5 points returning, tOSU has 75 and PSU has 36.5 (+27 from Retherford/Mega)= 63.5.

I don't have time to write it all up- but that leaves some work to do.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Vallholl:
I did this rather quickly but it looks like Iowa has 58.5 points returning, tOSU has 75 and PSU has 36.5 (+27 from Retherford/Mega)= 63.5.

I don't have time to write it all up- but that leaves some work to do.
wink.r191677.gif
I feel comfortable giving us the 9 points from Evans back with Meyer sitting there. After that we got a lot of work to do.

Originally posted by clhawks00:
Is there any chance Kemmerer can make 141 next year? 141 is really wide open for next year and he wrestled his high school season at 145.

With his arrest over the weekend, Gross may no longer be an option.

Originally posted by SCHawkFan:

Originally posted by clhawks00:

With his arrest over the weekend, Gross may no longer be an option.
Depends what his standing is otherwise. If it is a first time deal then he will likely pay his dues and be back. If Brands is pissed about other issues then who knows. A scholarship reduction could be a possibility.

Nice analysis OP.

Nico tweeted he is RS free so he will be back. Here is the projected lineup for PSU:

125 - Nico
133 - Conaway (rumored that not the easiest cut for Jimmy)
141 - Gulibon
149 - Zain
157 - Nolf/Beitz
165 - Nolf/Hammonds
174 - Nickal
184 - McCuthcheon
197 - Mac
HWT - Nevills

Obviously things could change but that's how it looks for now. I think Nolf is likely at 57 and Shakur could be in the discussion somewhere according to people who know what they are talking about.

What is interesting is that our wrestling guy hinted that Zain could even be at 157 which I find to be odd if Martinez sticks. I think that Nico coming back and forcing some kids up may be a problem as some of them seemed to lack strength...Beitz in particular.

Originally posted by JustWrestle133:

Looking ahead to next year's team race. I think it is a 6 team race. Edinboro, Missouri, and Minnesota are losing too much firepower and I don't believe they have the horses in the staple to remain in the team race for 2016.

So here are the contenders: Ohio State, Iowa, Cornell, Oklahoma State, Penn State, and maybe a bit of a surprise Michigan.

Here are what each school has returning with a loose projection.

Ohio State

125- Nathan Tomasello- Top 3.

133- Jhonny Dijulius- 4 seed this year, but failed to AA. Mid AA threat.

141- Keshawn Hayes- Freshman #8 overall recruit according to DICW.

149- Hunter Stieber- After elbow surgery, a healthy Hunter is a title threat.

157- Micah Jordan- RS Freshman, Top 10 recruit (#6)

165- Bo Jordan- Top 3

174- Mark Martin- 10 seed this year lost in round of 16, round of 12 in 2014. Low AA threat

184- Kenny Courts- 5th in 2015, Round of 12 in 2014 and 2013. Tons of talent, former top 10 recruit (#8).

197- Kyle Snyder- Top 3

Hvy- Nick Tavanello/Thomas Haines- Tavanello was injury this year, he made the round of 12 as a Freshman in 2014. Haines is a top 10 recruit (#9) who redshirted this year. Many people think he is going to beat out the Junior Tavanello.

Ohio State also have #4 overall recruit Myles Martin coming in who is projected at 184 and well as a top 50 recruit in Jose Rodriguez who is projected at 125/133, as well as Kolin Moore a top 70 recruit who is projected at 174. Ohio State also has Tom Ryan's son Jake Ryan waiting in the wings at 149 if Hunter Steiber is not healthy.

Iowa

125- Thomas Gilman- Top 3

133- Cory Clark- Top 3

141- Sam Gross- #41 overall recruit

149- Sorenson- Top 5

157- Grothus- wildcard, fringe AA. He could be a monster, he was beaten out this year by the experienced Kelly.

165- Purke Paddock- #63 overall recruit

174- Alex Meyer- #41 overall recruit, bonus point machine

184- Brooks- Low AA

197- Burak- Top 5. I don't think he is in the class of Snyder or Cox, but he is a grinder.

Hvy- Stoll- #14 overall recruit

Iowa has a few holes to fill, but they have recruited talented kids in those spots. I don't know if they have reruited as well as Ohio State or Penn State as far as immediate impact guys. It will be interesting to see how these RS Freshman who will have the opportunity next year respond. Clark, Gilman, Brooks and Sorenson were all top 25 recruits, but Meyer, Paddock, Gross are all in the next tier of prospects, not that we haven't seen many unheralded prospects become champions, but it is something to note.

Cornell

125- Nashon Garrett- Top 3, Finalist in 2014, 5th in 2015

133- Mark Grey- Round of 12 in 2014, Round of 24 in 2015. He is a fringe AA canidate

141- Not sure. Freshman Dylan Realbuto? Maybe Silverstro?

149- Alex Cisneros- Former top 10 recruit (#6) finally breaks into the lineup or incoming freshman Galasco, #23 overall recruit

157- Brian Realbuto- top 3

165- Palacio- Top 8, returning AA

174- Duke Pickett- ranked in the lower portion of the weight class in 2015 or Greyshirt Freshman, Artigeliere, who was the #52 overall recruit

184- Gabe Dean- Top 3

197- Congenie- #53 overall recruit or maybe Anderson

Hvy- Sweaney- #59 overall recruit

Cornell has the horses, Garratt, Dean, Palacio, Realbuto. It is up to the supporting cast of Grey, Cisneros, and the Freshman to see if they can make a run.

Penn State

125- Nico or Conway- Nico is top 3 Conway is a low AA

133- Gulibon- Top 8, took 5th in 2015, former top recruit

141- Zain Retherford- Top 3, former top recruit who is the last person to beat Logan Stieber

149- Zack Beitz- Fringe AA, Rd of 12 or incoming top 10 recruit (#5) Joesph.

157- Jason Nolf- Top Recruit (#4), high ceiling bonus points guy

165- Hammond- Decent freshman year, will be pushing by RS Freshman Shakur and Law

174- Bo Nickal- big shoes to fill of Matt Brown, but top recruit (#7) should be ready after his RS in 2015.

184- Mccutheon- Round of 12 in 2015, made the quarters. Should see some growth in his Sophomore campaign.

197- McIntosh- Top 3

Hvy- Nick Nevils- Top recruit (#5) should hit the ground running.

Penn State Redshirted some serious points in 2015 in order to prepare for another multi-year run at titles and it starts in 2015. Getting production from their RS Freshman will be key as well as figuring out 149 and 165 the only two question marks in the lineup.

Oklahoma State

125- Kilmara- returning AA, Top 8

133- Piccinnini- Top recruit (#4) might get pressed into service right away. We could see Pic at 125 and Kilmara up here.

141- Heil- 4th in 2015. Top recruit (#13), could be a title contender top 3 type

149- Collica- up a weight in 2015 bc of Kindig, he has made the round of 12 twice. I think at his more natural weight he is a Mid AA threat.

157- Blees- Top recruit in 2014 (#16), should be ready to compete.

165- Marstaller- One of the most hype'd Freshman I have ever seen. We shall see (#2) recruit.

174- Dieringer- Beast, I say Top 3, but he is for sure the title favorite.

184- An interesting spot- Cruchmer is a returning 5th place at 174, but Boyd is a returning NQ and was ranked 15th coming in. Plus tough recruits like Rodgers.

197- Maybe Boyd comes up here, maybe Weigel or Rodgers breaks into the lineup here. This is a question mark, but a high ceiling still.

Hvy- Mardsen- Top 5

Michigan

125- Youtsey- Returning AA, 6th in 2015, Low to mid AA

133- Bruno- Returning AA, 8th in 2015, Low to mid AA

141- Hall- #23 overall recruit

149- Pantaleo, Round of 16 as a Freshman, ranked as high as 10th

157- Murphy- Returning AA, 7th in 2015. High ceiling in 2016

165- Logan Massa- #1 overall recruit

174- Taylor Massa- former top recruit (#2), Low AA threat

184- Abounader- Former top recruit, Ranked top 8 most of the year, round of 12 in 2014 and round of 16 in 2015. High ceiling.

197- Hayden Payne- #99 overall recruit or Sisti. This is their only question mark weight class.

Hvy- Coon- finalist in 2015. Top recruit, he is going to win a title eventually.

Michigan may not have the high end guys to win a title, but they are rock solid top to bottom and if Coon, Massa, Abounader, and Murphy take then next step they could very much be in a title hunt.
This post was edited on 3/21 6:34 PM by JustWrestle133
Welp.

Virginia Tech

125 DANCE Jr (4th Nat 2014) 31-4

133 Norstrem Solp (4th Acc 2015) 19-17

141 Gustafson Solp (1st Acc 2014) 16-3 unattached

149 Mastriani Jr NCAA qualifier 25-12
Chishko Fr@ No 2 24-7

157 BRACETTA Sr (4th Nat 2015, 8th 2013) 15-4

165 McFadden Fr No 2

174 EPPERLY Solp (7th Nat 2015) 28-8

184 Gabel Sr (3rd Acc 2013) 13-11 Injured During Season
Zavatsky Fr@ No 8 15-1

197 Haught Solp (4th Acc 2015) 19-19

Hwt WATZ Jr (7th Nat 2015) 32-9

~77 points for Iowa, based on NCAA finish/fall pre-season ranking:

25: 4th - 14 points (Megaludis' return will bump Gilman's pre-season ranking from #3 to #4)
33: 2nd - 17 points
41: DNP - 1 point
49: 2nd - 17 points
57: DNP - 1 point
65: DNP - 1 point
74: 6th - 9 points (Ranking him as highest returning non-AA or non-R12 wrestler, which is fair. Is Marstellar going 74?)
84: 9th - 3 points (Yes, he SHOULD finish higher than 9th, but we said that this year, and all 8 AAs return)
97: 5th - 13 points
285: DNP - 1 point

Missing: 35 team points. If found, please return to Tom Brands before March 2016, no questions asked.

Originally posted by TarpHawk:
~77 points for Iowa, based on NCAA finish/fall pre-season ranking:

25: 4th - 14 points (Megaludis' return will bump Gilman's pre-season ranking from #3 to #4)
33: 2nd - 17 points
41: DNP - 1 point
49: 2nd - 17 points
57: DNP - 1 point
65: DNP - 1 point
74: 6th - 9 points (Ranking him as highest returning non-AA or non-R12 wrestler, which is fair. Is Marstellar going 74?)
84: 9th - 3 points (Yes, he SHOULD finish higher than 9th, but we said that this year, and all 8 AAs return)
97: 5th - 13 points
285: DNP - 1 point

Missing: 35 team points. If found, please return to Tom Brands before March 2016, no questions asked.
Brooks would have been an All American had he not stumbled across bad luck having to wrestle Dean and Stauffer just to reach the podium. I still like Brooks better than Courts, Zilmer and Dudley. He had a close win over Avery this season as well. It is a deep weight and you could throw Dechow and McCutcheon into the mix as well but I think round of 12 would be about the worst to expect from Brooks. I'm guessing he'll be in the 4-8 range.

I imagine they'll be able to find some team points at the other weights as well. I think one way or another they'll get a competent 157 if not an AA candidate. I'm definitely worried about 165 and Hwt though.

LEHIGH

125 D CRUZ So (7th Nat 2014) 22-3
133 BECKMAN Sr (6th Nat 2015, 6th 2014) 30-8
141 Cruz Jr (1st Eiwa 2015, 1st 2013) 22-9
149 Gardner Jr (Ncca qualifier 2014) 18-6/ Kutler Fr (2)
157 MINOTTI Jr (8th Nat 2015) 19-9
165 Milonas Fr@ (1)/ Preisch Fr@ 16-5
174 Haas Sr 8-7
184 BROWN Sr (2nd Nat 2015) 29-6
197 Riddick Jr (4th Eiwa 2015, 3rd 2014) 18-13
Hwt Vollaro (4th Eiwa 2015) 21-8/ Wessell Jr (3rd Eiwa 2014, 7th 2013)

Go Hawks!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT