ADVERTISEMENT

2017-18 some numbers

Buddehawk

Team MVP
Jan 19, 2016
Just playing with numbers, not sure what they mean

Obviously, we give up too many points & we can't just outscore guys and win, especially in the Big Ten

We had 17 games where we gave up over 80 points a game

9 Losses by 9 or fewer points
--- wonder what last season would have been like with 3-4 more defensive stops and 3-4 fewer Turnovers per game

6 & 0 when allowing less than 70 points
4 & 6 when allowing 70-79 Points
3 & 9 when alowing 80-89 points
1 & 4 when allowing over 90 points

0 & 8 when scoring less than 70 points
1 & 6 when scoring 70-79 points
3 & 4 when scoring 70-89 points
10 & 1 when scoring over 90 points - 7 Non-Conf wins - 3 & 1 against Big Ten Teams - wins against Illinios (2) & Minn

Last year against against Big 10, VT ISU & Colorado
10 times FG% under 45% - 4 of those under 40%
8 losses where we shot over 48% - 4 of those losses we shot over 50%

I guess the kind way to put it is that the defense was poor and the offense was very inconsistent, too many empty possessions (turnovers and force shots at end of shot clock) and scoring droughts

done rambling

I think the 2 key to success are:

1) Reducing turnovers. A) Will make our offense that much more efficient. Too many empty possessions. B) With a poor defense, you don't want to give opponents any more possessions.
2) Points in the paint. A) When our defense broke down we gave up too many easy paint points, need to do better clogging the lane. B) Take a damn charge! Had to be the fewest charges taken by an Iowa team in my lifetime!

I'm expecting this years team with more guard depth to be better with the ball, also looking forward to seeing Garza and Cook improve on the defensive end. Take pride in that end of the floor as it is going to be the key to an NCAA Tourney run, and where they'll be getting their paychecks in the future.

To me, the most alarming stats are going 1-6 when scoring 70-79 points and 3-4 when scoring 80-89. Seriously, if you're below .500 in college basketball when scoring in the eighties that's pitiful. In regards to the former, you're obviously not a good defensive team, but it also might be an indicator of an immature team who can't close out games (or your opponent hit 70 ten minutes into the 2nd half and sleep walked to 90, which was the case a lot last season).

Yes, Iowa turned the ball over too much. Yes, Iowa went through scoring droughts a lot. Those things happen when you're pulling the ball out of the net nearly every possession. Get some stops, force some turnovers of your own, and those things will take care of themselves.

2 more defensive stops per game
2 less turnovers per game
2 more successful possessions a game
and they win 8 more times.
IMO those are not real high parameters to reach for and if they are achieved I would be surprised if they didnt add more stops and create more TOs to make easy scores from.
In retrospect I saw a young team that lost composure too early in too many games and they got "upside down " and couldnt catch up. They had to try to score like crazy to catch up and they just couldnt over come the deficit.
I still contend there is plenty ability on Iowas team and as much as you want to throw a coach under the bus the missing pieces are things Fran cant make happen for the players.

Keep it simple. Fran can’t coach defense.

You will never make a run with that being your problem.

Unless he can recruit such athletically gifted studs that their quickness overcomes lack of defensive coaching. Pretty obvious Fran can’t do that either.

The magic number is 70. Score more than 70 and play enough defense to hold the opponent to under 70.

IMO those are not real high parameters to reach for and if they are achieved I would be surprised if they didnt add more stops and create more TOs to make easy scores from.
In retrospect I saw a young team that lost composure too early in too many games and they got "upside down " and couldnt catch up. They had to try to score like crazy to catch up and they just couldnt over come the deficit.
I still contend there is plenty ability on Iowas team and as much as you want to throw a coach under the bus the missing pieces are things Fran cant make happen for the players.

I think that’s a realistic assessment.

Reactions: JAMAM
I think this is possible also.

We know we are adding 2 High Basketball IQ guys in CMac and Weiskamp (possibly Fredrick as well, don't know a ot about him) to the mix. Shouldn't find ourselves in as many bad situations as far as spacing and shot clock.

When I look at the roster, I don't think anyone has come close to reaching their potential. You would think they should have at least some modest improvement from last year.

What I have always find puzzling is that all BB players want to play up tempo, fast break basketball. The best teams that have played that way played tough as nails defense and rebounded like crazy. But so many player are not willing to put in the work to reap the rewards.

Unless he can recruit such athletically gifted studs that their quickness overcomes lack of defensive coaching. Pretty obvious Fran can’t do that either.

Dont need great athletes to play good defense.

Good defense generally doesn't happen unless the coach makes it happen though.

Reactions: perryhawk and JAMAM
Just playing with numbers, not sure what they mean

Obviously, we give up too many points & we can't just outscore guys and win, especially in the Big Ten

We had 17 games where we gave up over 80 points a game

9 Losses by 9 or fewer points
--- wonder what last season would have been like with 3-4 more defensive stops and 3-4 fewer Turnovers per game

6 & 0 when allowing less than 70 points
4 & 6 when allowing 70-79 Points
3 & 9 when alowing 80-89 points
1 & 4 when allowing over 90 points

0 & 8 when scoring less than 70 points
1 & 6 when scoring 70-79 points
3 & 4 when scoring 70-89 points
10 & 1 when scoring over 90 points - 7 Non-Conf wins - 3 & 1 against Big Ten Teams - wins against Illinios (2) & Minn

Last year against against Big 10, VT ISU & Colorado
10 times FG% under 45% - 4 of those under 40%
8 losses where we shot over 48% - 4 of those losses we shot over 50%

I guess the kind way to put it is that the defense was poor and the offense was very inconsistent, too many empty possessions (turnovers and force shots at end of shot clock) and scoring droughts

done rambling

I said something similar BEFORE last season when they had been bad defensively the year prior.
Last season, as we all know, they were atrocious. Approaching bottom of the barrel. It's a deep, deep hole they have to climb out of after that.
Can they be better than just the garden variety below average defensive team of Jok's senior campaign?
Seems like it would be a really big leap for them to be just average on D. Can they make that big an improvement in just one season?

Reactions: RocknRollface

I agree. You should never have to score 90 pts just to win one game...

Reactions: JAMAM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT