ADVERTISEMENT

2017 for Brian Ferentz is an open interview for Max Duggan's services.

terrehawk

HR Heisman
Feb 23, 2011
Duggan may likely end up being the most highly touted quarterback to come out of Iowa. Making him a must get for Iowa.

If the kid is interested in professional football, Iowa has a very good track record the last decade for showing the opportunity will be there at Iowa.

I think Brian Ferentz is going to be successful as Iowa's offensive coordinator and 2017 will take the next step in the progression of preparing Iowa quarterbacks for the NFL

Duggan may likely end up being the most highly touted quarterback to come out of Iowa. Making him a must get for Iowa.

If the kid is interested in professional football, Iowa has a very good track record the last decade for showing the opportunity will be there at Iowa.

I think Brian Ferentz is going to be successful as Iowa's offensive coordinator and 2017 will take the next step in the progression of preparing Iowa quarterbacks for the NFL

I like the optimism and I'm excited to see what Brian can do but honest question. Has Brian at any point in his career ever mentored a QB? This is his first time running an offense and calling plays?

You talk NFL but the previous OC who was wildly disliked actually mentored not 1 but 2 NFL drafted QBs in Rudock and CJ. Think about that for a second and Brian is now following that.

247 has him as 100% neb....so at least we know he won't be going there :)

hopefully he is waiting to see if we make some changes to the O
i hope we do and hope he likes them !

I like the optimism and I'm excited to see what Brian can do but honest question. Has Brian at any point in his career ever mentored a QB? This is his first time running an offense and calling plays?

You talk NFL but the previous OC who was wildly disliked actually mentored not 1 but 2 NFL drafted QBs in Rudock and CJ. Think about that for a second and Brian is now following that.
I wouldn't say Brian Ferentz is the mentor for the quarterback. I would say our dedicated quarterback coach in Ken O'Keefe is the qb mentor. I think that brings up an even better point. We never really had anybody coaching the quarterbacks in the past and still have been getting guys NFL opportunities at quarterback.

Kok has tons of experience in both the NFL and as an offense coordinator at the highest level now his only job is tutoring the quarterback position at the University of Iowa. I love it

What quarterbacks has Mike Riley sent to the NFL or the University of Nebraska sent to the NFL last decade?

Is this recruits biggest concern whos brought qbs to the NFL?
He had previously mentioned style of play as being one of the factors.
One thing Nebby did at one of their camps was to have several athletically gifted/high rated recruits, for him to throw to...Iowa obviously couldn't come close to that at their camp. Iowa had a high schooler from Connecticut,prolly being looked at as a possible walk on,with zero offers, and a couple of others like him.. Maybe none of this matters in the end. Might be a couple reasons some people feel he is a Nebby "lean" right now, though.

If Dugan is seriously considering Nebraska, then he needs to change the water he and is family are drinking. With that being said, it is on the Hawks (BF & KOK) to prove on the field that Iowa should be given serious consideration as a "Landing Spot".

I know not a lot of people don't think of a history of QB talent and Iowa but when you think about it:

Banks: singed with the Redskins and then many years in the CFL
Tate: signed with the Rams and then many years in the CFL
Stanzi: got his shot in the NFL for a few years on practice squads
Rudock: drafted and appears to be the backup in Detroit
Beathard: drafted in the 3rd

And those guys were 2-3 years starters so that takes up the majority of Kirk's time at Iowa. So getting your shot at the NFL is absolutely possible at Iowa and it should be a selling point to recruits even if Iowa doesn't pass a lot and doesn't have a "sexy" offense.

I know not a lot of people don't think of a history of QB talent and Iowa but when you think about it:

Banks: singed with the Redskins and then many years in the CFL
Tate: signed with the Rams and then many years in the CFL
Stanzi: got his shot in the NFL for a few years on practice squads
Rudock: drafted and appears to be the backup in Detroit
Beathard: drafted in the 3rd

And those guys were 2-3 years starters so that takes up the majority of Kirk's time at Iowa. So getting your shot at the NFL is absolutely possible at Iowa and it should be a selling point to recruits even if Iowa doesn't pass a lot and doesn't have a "sexy" offense.
e

The NFL, IMHO, does not run "sexy" offenses, they appear to be running a new trending "pro-style" offense,

The evolving NFL schemes don't sound very sexy; this quote is from the NFL website:
"Running from power sets establishes a physical offensive identity.
For all the talk about the NFL becoming a passing league, the game boils down to physicality and toughness. The team that out-hits its opponent routinely wins, particularly when imposing its will at the line of scrimmage. Looking at the increased utilization of "22" personnel packages (2 RB, 2 TE, 1 WR) and jumbo sets, I believe more coaches are scheming to make the game a street fight at the line. By putting big bodies in tight formations with minimal splits, the offense neutralizes the effectiveness of gap-control defenses, giving blockers better angles at the point of attack. Additionally, offensive coordinators can implement wedge-like blocking schemes to create a push at the line of scrimmage. With a physical back to carry the ball, such a power-based running scheme can wear out a defense over the course of a game.

That's why the playoffs provided a hint at a trend that's emerging in the NFL. Teams like the Patriots, Seahawks, Saints and 49ers used a variety of power-based formations to effectively move the ball. Most importantly, this approach allowed the respective coaches to control the tempo via complementary football strategies while keeping the defense rested and away from adverse situations. Given how these tactics significantly impacted postseason games, a return to power football makes sense for teams with strong defenses.

Studying tactics and schemes used by last season's top contenders, I couldn't help but notice the prevalence of power packages with "22" or jumbo personnel. While most squads jump into those groupings/formations in short-yardage and goal-line situations, a handful of teams now use power packages to change the tempo of the game. Offensive coordinators are looking to make the game a matter of toughness and physicality. The schemes certainly aren't revolutionary, but they put the onus on defenders to step up, take on blocks and make solid tackles against hard-nosed running backs".

Just some thoughts for this on-going sexy vs not sexy offenses conversation.

So in other words, he is much better off coming to Iowa than somewhere like the Cornhuskers.

It certainly seems really risky to go to Nebraska when he could go to Iowa and virtually guarantee that he's either drafted or in an NFL camp

e

The NFL, IMHO, does not run "sexy" offenses, they appear to be running a new trending "pro-style" offense,

The evolving NFL schemes don't sound very sexy; this quote is from the NFL website:
For all the talk about the NFL becoming a passing league, the game boils down to physicality and toughness. The team that out-hits its opponent routinely wins, particularly when imposing its will at the line of scrimmage. Looking at the increased utilization of "22" personnel packages (2 RB, 2 TE, 1 WR) and jumbo sets, I believe more coaches are scheming to make the game a street fight at the line. By putting big bodies in tight formations with minimal splits, the offense neutralizes the effectiveness of gap-control defenses, giving blockers better angles at the point of attack. Additionally, offensive coordinators can implement wedge-like blocking schemes to create a push at the line of scrimmage. With a physical back to carry the ball, such a power-based running scheme can wear out a defense over the course of a game.

That's why the playoffs provided a hint at a trend that's emerging in the NFL. Teams like the Patriots, Seahawks, Saints and 49ers used a variety of power-based formations to effectively move the ball. Most importantly, this approach allowed the respective coaches to control the tempo via complementary football strategies while keeping the defense rested and away from adverse situations. Given how these tactics significantly impacted postseason games, a return to power football makes sense for teams with strong defenses.

Studying tactics and schemes used by last season's top contenders, I couldn't help but notice the prevalence of power packages with "22" or jumbo personnel. While most squads jump into those groupings/formations in short-yardage and goal-line situations, a handful of teams now use power packages to change the tempo of the game. Offensive coordinators are looking to make the game a matter of toughness and physicality. The schemes certainly aren't revolutionary, but they put the onus on defenders to step up, take on blocks and make solid tackles against hard-nosed running backs".

I used to be an NFL fan but not so much anymore. Why have RBs become devalued (imo) in terms of where they are drafted and compensation? Just curious. And do you think the NFL is in trouble...ratings wise?

I used to be an NFL fan but not so much anymore. Why have RBs become devalued (imo) in terms of where they are drafted and compensation? Just curious. And do you think the NFL is in trouble...ratings wise?
I think that some of that started to be apparent back when Denver had some great teams where they could just plug in just about any running back and they would be just fine. I think it has been evolving ever since

The injury rate is high and lifespan of a running back is small so I can see how they could become more of a commodity and a plug-and-play position.

Too risky putting big money into a kid when some nobody can come in and do his job pretty close to or just as well

Last edited:
Reactions: td77
e

Alabama avg. under a 100 yards passing last year in the playoffs and just miss winning NC

I wouldn't say Brian Ferentz is the mentor for the quarterback. I would say our dedicated quarterback coach in Ken O'Keefe is the qb mentor. I think that brings up an even better point. We never really had anybody coaching the quarterbacks in the past and still have been getting guys NFL opportunities at quarterback.

Kok has tons of experience in both the NFL and as an offense coordinator at the highest level now his only job is tutoring the quarterback position at the University of Iowa. I love it
+ Infinity. KOK coached our QBs up well as OC and now all he's doing is coaching them. He has to be in heaven, guessing B/KF are pretty happy as well. And I think BF is going to be really good.

From another area high school football player that's friends with Max...he'd like a Notre Dame offer (not that he would jump right on it, just wants the option) and he didn't think Max would stay close to home so doesn't think he'll end up at Neb. Iowa is definitely still in play, they have an opportunity to pad their resume this season.

Reactions: Ree4 and terrehawk

Kok knows QB'S.He can get task done.

Reactions: fifteenandoh
From another area high school football player that's friends with Max...he'd like a Notre Dame offer (not that he would jump right on it, just wants the option) and he didn't think Max would stay close to home so doesn't think he'll end up at Neb. Iowa is definitely still in play, they have an opportunity to pad their resume this season.

I hope he and his family take a close look at the ND coach. Not a fan and I wouldn't want my son to play for him.
Some of you have suggested there is a chance he may not be there next season?

Reactions: terrehawk
Ya a lot of kids just want to explore other areas of the country. I did and am still out in Colorado. But, if he wants to get out of Neb/Iowa, South Bend is not the place.

Reactions: deanhawk88
How many QB's are the Irish looking at taking in the 2019 class? They recieved a verbal from a 2019 qb prospect recently.

Notre Dame may be completely out of the picture, just was told they'd be the likely favorite if there was an offer. I'd be curious of the degree he's seeking, I think Duggan's a smart kid that'll take that into strong consideration. I'm sure he has Hawkeye and Husker fans in his ear every other day. I haven't seen or heard anything to support 247's prediction for Nebraska other than they all jumped on after the offer and maybe aren't going to change their prediction until something shows otherwise. My gut says he'd pick Iowa over Nebraska but he's more likely to go elsewhere.

Notre Dame may be completely out of the picture, just was told they'd be the likely favorite if there was an offer. I'd be curious of the degree he's seeking, I think Duggan's a smart kid that'll take that into strong consideration. I'm sure he has Hawkeye and Husker fans in his ear every other day. I haven't seen or heard anything to support 247's prediction for Nebraska other than they all jumped on after the offer and maybe aren't going to change their prediction until something shows otherwise. My gut says he'd pick Iowa over Nebraska but he's more likely to go elsewhere.
Also, Nebraska has Lee who is supposed to start the next two years, a 4 star RS freshman, and a 4 star freshman. Seems pretty crowded.

This kid will be a hard one for Iowa or Nebraska to get. He's even got Bama after him now. Not saying that's a lock for him not to stay home in Iowa or go next door to Nebraska. But he won't be an easy to keep in the 500 miles area. That's for sure.

How many qbs has iowa put into the nfl (that received any meaningful playing time)?

I hope CJ breaks that streak but not one QB since CL has even sniffed the 2 deeps.

Reactions: LZZOSO
How many qbs has iowa put into the nfl (that received any meaningful playing time)?

I hope CJ breaks that streak but not one QB since CL has even sniffed the 2 deeps.
Rudock is already in the 2 deeps. The last 3 quarterbacks have been drafted.

My point stands. The opportunity is there for an Iowa quarterback to get to the NFL. Iowa has the track record to prove it

I like the optimism and I'm excited to see what Brian can do but honest question. Has Brian at any point in his career ever mentored a QB?

I think it's Ken O'Keefe mentoring that will make a difference along with a more complex playbook and more unpredictable play calling. Okay, that's what i hope will happen. We'll see.

When Iowa offered years ago, I'd never heard of him so watched his tape. I knew his recruiting would blow up after seeing the film and am not surprised at all of the offers he's receiving. He'll have his choice of every program in the country before this is over.

I'm surprised 247 lists Nebby as 100% on where he will end up ... Ugh ... this thread reminds me to not get too caught up in recruiting ... So much can happen between now and the day a kid actually signs the LoT ...

Actually, JR was mostly a bust at Iowa, and CJB survived in spite of GD, not because of him. GD was a horrible fit at Iowa after getting fired at Texas, so I'm not worried about BF being afraid to follow that act. And BTW, KOK is back and coaching QBs. That's a HUGE plus for the Hawkeyes. The offense will surprise everyone if KF can get out of the way, something he's failed to do most of the time so far, but something he may finally do since it's his kid in charge of the offense now.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Bumping this thread. Based on what we've seen so far from Brian Ferentz, I would think mr. Duggan has to be extremely intrigued by what's going on in Iowa City.

If he's watching Nebraska play so far he has to be kind of concerned. Not to mention the fact that if he commits to Nebraska the chances of him playing for the same staff that's recruiting him is highly unlikely.

At Iowa there probably isn't more of a lock anywhere with having almost the entire same staff as we will at Iowa. Even if Kirk Ferentz were to retire during his playing career Brian Ferentz is the likely Heir Apparent and nothing will miss a Beat

So if you want to play in the NFL Iowa is as good a choice as anywhere, better than most, but certainly better than Nebraska

Well said and PT well taken.Suggest small steps,then "Lets see" But things looking forward yes.Go Hawks.

ADVERTISEMENT