ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball Season

SynergyHawk12

Scout Team
Jul 8, 2014
Dallas TX
The softball season starts on Friday in San Marcos verses four Texas schools. I thought I would start a softball thread for the new season. Any thoughts on the upcoming season?

Go Hawks!

Crap, I was just there last weekend and will be there the following weekend would have loved to go watch a game.
Hope they surprise this season, if not please make the coaching change, so the program can back to the level they use to be on.

Reactions: SynergyHawk12
Looks like a very difficult opening schedule, which was how Looper arranged them when she first got here. It works if you can manage to win a few and build confidence and RPI. Tough for a northern team to go play all Texas teams the first weekend of the season, gonna guess 0-5. Then guessing 0-4 the next week vs VA Tech and GA Tech. Weekend after that is brutal at Fullerton CA, facing Florida, Washington, Arizona State and Cal. One of the toughest tournaments we've ever been in, another 0-5 is likely there. Then, should have an opportunity to pick up a win or two in Lawrence KS. Then a DH at Missouri. We're actually hosting 4 other teams in our own tournament March 18 & 19, hope the weather cooperates, but mid-March is often cold, windy and wet.

As is the case pretty much each year, we badly need at least one pitcher to step up and post a sub-3.00 ERA. Starkenburg regressed last season, though I believe she had injury issues. We did have some HR pop last year, but Hoffman graduated and Gyerman elected to do a graduate transfer out. I suspect some decent bats will be found for the top of the order, but if the rest of the lineup hits .180-.200 (as it has going back before Loopers time), there will be some struggling. I see Taylor is now listed as SS/2B, so looks like at least one of the incoming freshmen will be getting a chance at SS. Really no expectations for this season, so hopefully the team stays loose and sneaks up on some people.

Hawks are now underway vs. Abilene Christian, Doocy from Ankeny is the starting pitcher.

Ibarra starts in RF, batted .077 last season *sigh*.

Last edited:
Also beat the Sunbelt Conference Preseason pitcher of the year. Overall a great opening win

HAWKS win gm 2 8-0. Shayla pitched a great game, HR's from Wood and Killian. Playing great team ball right now.

Iowa looked good. They looked better than they have in a few years. In the first game there were a couple very good defensive plays, timely hits, and Doocey threw a great game.

The second game was all around good.

There were a couple running errors in the games, but hopefully that will get fixed.

Texas State has a great pitcher. Tomorrow will be a tough test to get the offense going. Tech looked pretty good as well.

Nice to see Cantu come in and get a big hit and Schneider getting a couple hits. The freshman went 4-5 today.

The freshman for Abilene Christian (Sydney Holman) that came in after we knocked out their #1 is going to be big time. I don't know how she ended up there and not a power 5 but she beat Tx St and their stud Rupp 1-0.

Tomorrow will be another day to see where we are.

Synergy you are right about them looking better than they have in years. They were fun to watch and they beat both those teams because they were the better team.

I can't wait for tomorrow

Hawks lose first gm today to TX St. 2-0. Wiegland pitched a great gm just gave up 2 solo HR's in the btm of the 6th. Offense needs to pick it up next gm. We are playing some gd ball though. Facing some really pitching for first time out and I like our philosophy. Just need to string some stuff together

The first time through the order was tough after that we started to get some nice contact and a few hits. Defense looked good and a good performance on the mound.

Texas tech up next

Reactions: crankermo
Yep, I'm impressed with the adjustments we are making. Coming out of the gate facing this type of pitching is extremely tough but I like what I'm seeing

Hawks lost to TX Tech 7-4 in the second game today. Actually hit the ball well just right at em. Finish the weekend tomorrow @10 against Abilene Christian and I expect it to be a tough one.

Let's finish the weekend 3-2 ladies.

Very cool to see they are winning some. And Competing! I watched UNI play Wisconsin friday night. UNI lost 1-0 Wisky looked ok not a barn burner probley middle of the pack in the B10. I did notice that they have like 6 or 7 players from Iowa on their Roster. I just found that ironic. Hope the Hawks can finish strong tomorrow.

Hopefully this year we can reignite the fan base and grab the attention of the instate recruits. These girls are playing hard and going about it the right way just need to make some things happen

HAWKS lose final gm 3-1 to Abilene Christian. They have a damn good freshman pitcher in Sydney Holman. She's definitely someone to track and see how she does.

Overall we pitched very well for the weekend and played solid D. Hitters are always behind every other facet of the game starting a season but I like what I'm seeing for the most part. Face some more live pitching and make adjustments after watching video from this weekend and. I think we will make a gd showing down in Atlanta.

GO HAWKS

Reactions: hawk21
I like that we won a couple and were competitive in all five, nice start after last year's struggles. Props to the coaches and team for their off-season work.

Overall we looked better than I expected. A few of my takeaways...

The staff seemed to have a sense of urgency. Coach B was more intense than I remembered her. Coach Looper leaned on the umpires today more than I have remembered in the past. First, when there was a ball hit over the fence that appeared to be a home run and was ruled foul. Second, when the umpires got an interference call wrong on the ACU bench (the ball was rolling out of play and hit a player on the bench in play.) She got the rule book out and argued her point and got the out.

In the past it seems like they've mixed up the lineups the first couple weekend, but this weekend they did not deviate other than a change in RF after the first game and with the pitchers.

Some newcomers showed some promise. Doocey looked good in her first game and was doing nice in her second before hitting a rough inning with an error in the infield and a couple hits. Appears to be a strikeout pitcher that we have not had in a while. Schneider looked good in RF and got some hits, Rozier is hitting the ball well, and Cantu had quality at bats.

The defense looked better than in the past. Schmeiderer caught three or four girls stealing and we had a few double plays.

The base running still had a few mistakes and giving up the long ball hurt us today.

Hoping for a good season! Go Hawks.

These girls like and care about one another and that ALWAYS matters. I don't think they're gonna quit working hard either.

I love what I watched this weekend but that doesn't mean we can't get better.

Jake has put some work in, getting the offense more ready then they have been in a long time. Good to see. Need to keep getting pitchers and they will start to rise. Hope for the future.

Love the optimism and sorry to be a killjoy, but a .213 weekend batting average does not get my hopes up. I think we'll be lucky to get to the 13 wins we did last year. Hope I'm wrong!

Sydney's boyfriend is Iowa's newest QB, Peyton Mansell. Maybe she will transfer?
Oh heck yeah! This could happen! She wants to be close to her BF, chance to come in and pitch on a team that would need her, she would have to sit out a year but it could happen!

On another side note, just heard that Kaylin Kinney a Cedar Rapids Kennedy stud pitcher and hitter just committed to Nebraska, she is a young pitcher who in my opinion is on the same level as Amber Fiser was at her age, a very very good player that I wish Iowa could have landed. She's a Freshman at Kennedy HS.
And we will see just how good she will become in the next couple years. Just another miss on a girl right in Iowa's back yard.

As long as Abilene gave her a release she wouldn't have to sit out a year. Softball transfers are immediately eligible as long as they don't transfer within conference.

Reactions: Drmac22
Hate to hear about another instate kid leaving. Maybe she'll change her mind
Not a Chance, she got full ride offer from them and they liked the program as a whole. She also got offer from Iowa but it was late, Iowa State, Michigan, and some others I think Minnesota and Alabama were interested but she choose the Huskers. I tried to convince her she could come to Iowa to help turn the program around but she said Nebraska felt right. I totally get it. I think that be one of the main reasons we are losing instate players is because Iowa does not make them feel at home for whatever reason. I know kaylin well and she's a terrific kid and player, if Iowa would have been in on her early They had a shot. They just didn't give her enough attention. Plus she played club for Nebraska Fury these last two years so she got seen a lot by the huskers, they came to a BUNCh of her games and stay on top of her. Which paid off in the end for them

Every kid and family has to make their own decision that fits their interest. I will never fault them for doing what's best for them.

What is Iowa not doing that other programs are to make kids feel wanted? You seem to have a good feel for the Iowa HS scene

Every kid and family has to make their own decision that fits their interest. I will never fault them for doing what's best for them.

What is Iowa not doing that other programs are to make kids feel wanted? You seem to have a good feel for the Iowa HS scene
I am not sure, when Gayle Blevins was here she didn't miss to many kids like this, she still today attracts attention where ever she goes. With Marla I see her at some tourneys or games and she is alone, nobody approaches her, I will coach Hutchins at Michigan, I don't know her, but I approached her and talked with her about Kinney, I mentioned she really needs to take a look at her. She went and watched her and immediately started a rapport with her getting her up for a visit and really staying in touch. It was probley down to Michigan and Nebraska. I think Iowa has to start winning again and looper needs to really target recruits in iowa, get to know local club and high school coaches well. They will feed you your recruiting reports. I told Looper two years ago this girl was one to get on recruiting but she was young she has been playing up in age groups since she was 10u so her projections where going to be good. Pitching 18 gold at 14 tells you all you need to know and winning

Great post DrMac. I do agree that relationships need to be formed within the State and a pipeline needs to be established to keep as many instate kids as possible. I just hope they have an open mind when Looper does reach out

I am sure they are hearing her pitch to them but she needs to really follow up if she wants them she needs to make them feel like they are wanted, you can't just toss them an offer and hope they choose your school.

I am not sure, when Gayle Blevins was here she didn't miss to many kids like this, she still today attracts attention where ever she goes. With Marla I see her at some tourneys or games and she is alone, nobody approaches her, I will coach Hutchins at Michigan, I don't know her, but I approached her and talked with her about Kinney, I mentioned she really needs to take a look at her. She went and watched her and immediately started a rapport with her getting her up for a visit and really staying in touch. It was probley down to Michigan and Nebraska. I think Iowa has to start winning again and looper needs to really target recruits in iowa, get to know local club and high school coaches well. They will feed you your recruiting reports. I told Looper two years ago this girl was one to get on recruiting but she was young she has been playing up in age groups since she was 10u so her projections where going to be good. Pitching 18 gold at 14 tells you all you need to know and winning

It somewhat surprises me that a student would decide on college as a freshman. That is early. I am a graduate of Clear Creek-Amana high school so I know start softball players are identfied early but to make a college decision that early surprises me. You know her personally so I am guessing she has become a fan. At same time, it would be a normal process if she changed her mind in later years.

I agree, in a way this doesn't make sense. She is a freshman and decided on a college and the rap against Iowa is they got in on her late.If she is so good I would think by her junior season, some SEC schools might be sniffing around

When do you think the Big D1s start recruiting kids? when do they start to fill classes, shes a 2020 girl and they are all working on filling that class, I do know her but I don't think it was because she was a huge fan, it was more because the liked the visit, they felt comfortable with the staff, who as I said has been recruiting her for quite a while, the attended many of her games and identified her very early that she was a player they wanted, (a lot based on potential) but also she is a very good player. That is what I mean being in early. She attended an Iowa camp as an 8th grader and was treated like every other camper there. That may sound vain but I am sure she was one of a very small group there that was pitching at 18 gold level and winning. The iowa staff would have recognized the potential if they were plugged into the midwest clubs and tourneys. Missing on so many iowa pitchers tells me they are not talking to the coaches around the area of they have a bad relationship.

I agree, in a way this doesn't make sense. She is a freshman and decided on a college and the rap against Iowa is they got in on her late.If she is so good I would think by her junior season, some SEC schools might be sniffing around
Alabama was talking with her so yes SEC was sniffing around, they just did not want to offer her what Nebraska did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT