ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Plus/Minus stats??

cosmo90

Team MVP
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2005
Have seen some references to individual game +/- stats for last season.

Anybody know of a good place to access season total +/- for the whole roster.

So, just counting BPM for the top 9 players this season, we lose:
1: Baer
6: Cook
7: Moss
9: Dailey

We keep:
2: JW
3: Garza
4: JB
5: Kriener
8: Connor

Interesting question:
Where would/will the incoming players rank in BPM respective to the returnees?
Barring surprises:
1: JW
2: Garza
3: JB
Then who’s next?
Kriener
Connor
Nunge
CJ
JoeT
Patrick
Pemsl

Reactions: cosmo90
So, just counting BPM for the top 9 players this season, we lose:
1: Baer
6: Cook
7: Moss
9: Dailey

We keep:
2: JW
3: Garza
4: JB
5: Kriener
8: Connor

Interesting question:
Where would/will the incoming players rank in BPM respective to the returnees?
Barring surprises:
1: JW
2: Garza
3: JB
Then who’s next?
Kriener
Connor
Nunge
CJ
JoeT
Patrick
Pemsl

The more important stat to me is that we lose our #1,2,5,6 in Defensive plus/minus and that Connor, JBo and Luka all graded out with negative DPM.

Hope that Kreiner, Pemsl and JoeT can provide glue on the D end.

The more important stat to me is that we lose our #1,2,5,6 in Defensive plus/minus and that Connor, JBo and Luka all graded out with negative DPM.

Hope that Kreiner, Pemsl and JoeT can provide glue on the D end.
I was a little surprised that CMac graded out barely negative defensively, because he plays solid, aggressive position defense. I wouldn't count on Pemsl to grade high on defense, but the guy who needs to improve the most defensively for Iowa to be better is Luka. His positioning needs to improve a lot.

I was a little surprised that CMac graded out barely negative defensively, because he plays solid, aggressive position defense. I wouldn't count on Pemsl to grade high on defense, but the guy who needs to improve the most defensively for Iowa to be better is Luka. His positioning needs to improve a lot.

I'm hoping Luka gets a little bit more respect from the officials. He doesn't always look fluid, but it sure felt like he'd get called for contact that others got away with.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I'm hoping Luka gets a little bit more respect from the officials. He doesn't always look fluid, but it sure felt like he'd get called for contact that others got away with.
IMO, Luka should not be asked to close out on shooters, because if the shooter is smart, Luka will foul him almost every time. Luka has incredibly slow feet, and that is why he needs to be MUCH better at getting appropriate position for post defense and defensive rebounding. He has learned to move very effectively on the offensive end near the basket, and he needs to similarly learn on the defensive end.

Plus minus and BPM are not very useful statistics. Unfortunately, there aren’t many readily available advanced metrics when it comes to college basketball unless you subscribe to a website such as Kenpom.

IMO, Luka should not be asked to close out on shooters, because if the shooter is smart, Luka will foul him almost every time. Luka has incredibly slow feet, and that is why he needs to be MUCH better at getting appropriate position for post defense and defensive rebounding. He has learned to move very effectively on the offensive end near the basket, and he needs to similarly learn on the defensive end.
Unfortunately Garza moving his feet like he's wearing concrete blocks isn't likely to improve.
His hope on the D end is almost solely pinned on being a smarter player when it comes to movement and positioning. Cut WAY down on the inefficient and useless things, like flailing out at a perimeter shooter when it's too late.

Plus minus and BPM are not very useful statistics. Unfortunately, there aren’t many readily available advanced metrics when it comes to college basketball unless you subscribe to a website such as Kenpom.
I’m not totally disagreeing, but am curious what your specific criticisms of BPM are

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT