ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Class

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Early May and five verbals. All solid three star players, several could earn a 4th star.

We are in on some real talent, a few that come to mind:

Waggoner
Parker
Shannon
D.J Johnson
Brown
Bussell
Taylor
Evans
Downing

If we can get at least 5 from this group to go along with existing commits, this could be a very good class.

We are stacked at DE, Waggoner ain't comin
So are all the other big schools that are recruiting him.. I like where Iowa sits with him.. Iowa is the top school for bussell and d.j. Johnson as of now. And my surprise pick for this class is Michael Thompson.. he has visit 3 times very high on the hawks, but the big boys calling is where it could get tuff.

Reactions: hawks101 and EZ2BJZ
I'm thinking Downing will commit to Iowa State. Been hearing some thangs about Parker and Mizzou. Also saw a recent pick for Shannon to The knobgobblers (minny).

Be interested to see who we get next.

I'm thinking Downing will commit to Iowa State. Been hearing some thangs about Parker and Mizzou. Also saw a recent pick for Shannon to The knobgobblers (minny).

I agree on Downing, he has visited Moo U multiple times to one visit to Iowa City.

Not sure about Parker or Shannon. Hope we get at least one.

Just watched some tape on Jack Plumb. We need to go ahead and offer him. 6'8" 240lbs. And moves fairly well at TE. At worst we could turn him into a beast of an O-lineman. At best he would be a serious all around TE.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Ty I understand. He still ain't comin
Your argument for your claim is weak and that is being kind. You think he is going to go to some crappy school with no DE depth? With that logic Martin should have never went to Michigan because they are stacked at WR and he would have been 4 year starter at Iowa......from what I have heard about the kid, he is far from the type to shy away from a little competition. A better argument would be the fact that top notch players in the West Des Moines area, rarely go to Iowa.....which is a concern and obviously has been for the staff since they now have the annual practice there

Are we recruiting Downing hard? If so, no reason he goes to the Clowns unless he wants to start right away and be with a 3 win team that is a laughingstock and doesn't put people in the NFL. Tell me from those in the know that we must have bigger targets. CF is already celebrating this as a potential huge victory over us. We should never, ever lose a recruit to ISU we want them unless a legacy (Lazard). I know it happens in recruiting but Dear God we are O-Line U by even national pundits.

Watched film on new 19 offer Spencer Bono. Kid is lean and quick off the edge at 6'4". Definitely like the offer and think he could easily add another 50lbs. Another high motor prospect.

As they say in the NFL, you can never have to many pass rushers. I have no idea whether he'll commit to Iowa, but I would never pass up a good edge rusher no matter how many were on the roster (injuries, a 6-8 man rotation to keep players fresh, etc.).

I saw the Shannon rumors to Minny also, that would be a bummer. We are in on a lot of D-linemen so hope we get 1-2 more.

Dj johnson garnering more interest. Says Ohio St. and Penn State offers would change things up. Also says he'll be back to Iowa a couple times. We've already made a good impression but will need to keep it up to get him committed to swarm18!

Dj johnson garnering more interest. Says Ohio St. and Penn State offers would change things up. Also says he'll be back to Iowa a couple times. We've already made a good impression but will need to keep it up to get him committed to swarm18!
He just got the ND offer. Could be trouble.

This a hunch - or are you sure about it?

You see Waggoner is in the class of '18. Epenesa is in the class of '17 and will not redshirt. While it's true that RIGHT NOW Iowa is a little back-logged at DE ... by 2019, it will have thinned out. Assuming Waggoner redshirts - his first year of action will be in '19. By then, Epenesa, Simon, and Golston will be JRs, Anthony Nelson will be a SR. Thus, Waggoner would be poised to get high quality action providing depth early in his career ... learning from elite fellow brothers. Then, he'll soon be in a position to start.

Sorry, but Iowa still can advertise a pretty good opportunity. Furthermore, given the size of Epenesa ... there are plenty of reasons to suppose that he could develop into a DT for the Hawks. That could unlock even more opportunity for Waggoner.

Given how Waggoner's recruitment has been going, it certainly appears as though he's shopping around. I would agree that that doesn't necessarily bode well for the Hawks. However, to the Hawks credit, they've been recruiting him from the outset AND can still offer him an excellent opportunity. Hopefully a little in-state magic can help propel the young man to become a Hawk!

This a hunch - or are you sure about it?

You see Waggoner is in the class of '18. Epenesa is in the class of '17 and will not redshirt. While it's true that RIGHT NOW Iowa is a little back-logged at DE ... by 2019, it will have thinned out. Assuming Waggoner redshirts - his first year of action will be in '19. By then, Epenesa, Simon, and Golston will be JRs, Anthony Nelson will be a SR. Thus, Waggoner would be poised to get high quality action providing depth early in his career ... learning from elite fellow brothers. Then, he'll soon be in a position to start.

Sorry, but Iowa still can advertise a pretty good opportunity. Furthermore, given the size of Epenesa ... there are plenty of reasons to suppose that he could develop into a DT for the Hawks. That could unlock even more opportunity for Waggoner.

Given how Waggoner's recruitment has been going, it certainly appears as though he's shopping around. I would agree that that doesn't necessarily bode well for the Hawks. However, to the Hawks credit, they've been recruiting him from the outset AND can still offer him an excellent opportunity. Hopefully a little in-state magic can help propel the young man to become a Hawk!
And a lot of wagoners offers right now aren't commitable till he visit those schools for camps.. he is a hot commodity but and Iowa has its work cut out to get him. But I like where Iowa sits with him.

I know Downing visited today. Wondering if he's still a State lean or if he can be swayed? Some Gobbler clown on another thread claimed he was going to commit to minny over the weekend. FAIL!

Minnesota and ISU seem to be just mirroring nearly every iowa offer. Let iowa do the work, decide if they are good, then offer and pray.

Not sure what the word is on Samson's brother Shane. He's an NIU Grad transfer with 2 years eligibility. Not sure we need the depth at O-line but he's a 300 pounder.

I know Downing visited today. Wondering if he's still a State lean or if he can be swayed? Some Gobbler clown on another thread claimed he was going to commit to minny over the weekend. FAIL!

"Yanda was pretty fun to talk to," Downing pointed out. "He said there isn't a better place NFL scouts look for offensive linemen than Iowa."

Reactions: nwhawkincr
"Yanda was pretty fun to talk to," Downing pointed out. "He said there isn't a better place NFL scouts look for offensive linemen than Iowa."

Good to hear he talked to Yanda no one better than to talk to him than a multiple times all pro OL who could be a potential hall of famer. Those in the know with Downing is he playing to go to Iowa, ISU or any other camps before making a decision or decide before then?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT