ADVERTISEMENT

New Story 2018 OL Wyatt Blake talks Iowa visit

Apr 8, 2003
Class of 2018 offensive lineman Wyatt Blake had a good performance at Iowa’s camp over the summer and continues to have a lot of interest in the Hawkeyes. This weekend, the 6-foot-4, 270-pound Blake was back in Iowa City for a game day visit at Kinnick Stadium. We caught up with him afterwards to talk about the trip, the latest on his recruiting, and much more.

Q: Tell me about the visit to Iowa yesterday. What all did you get to see and do?

BLAKE: They took us around the facilities, the new ones, and I’ve seen them before, but it was a little different this time because there were more people there and they’ve got a couple of new graphics, which were cool to see.

Q: What did you think of the game and the atmosphere there yesterday?

BLAKE: It was a little bit different from the other games I’ve been to. The fans were loud and crazy. They were screaming, “Come to Iowa,” when we walked out of the tunnel, so that was pretty cool.

Q: Did you get to talk to the coaches while you were there?

BLAKE: Yeah, I got to talk to Coach Wallace and Coach Brian Ferentz for a little bit. They said they were glad to have me and can’t wait for me to come back.

Q: Have they said if they have started evaluating your film already or will that come more after the season?

BLAKE: Coach Brian Ferentz came into my school this season and talked to my coach and gave him an evaluation. He said that I should just continue to work on getting stronger in the weight room and finishing my blocks better.

Q: What are your overall thoughts on Iowa at this point after leaving there yesterday?

BLAKE: I thought it was pretty cool. I have them pretty high up on my list.

Q: Where else have you been for games this season?

BLAKE: I’ve been to Michigan State twice, Notre Dame, and Indiana.

Q: Are you still waiting to see who might be the first to offer?

BLAKE: Yeah, I’m really waiting to see if someone offers me. I’m really hoping for that first offer soon.

Q: How did it go your sophomore year this season for you and your team?

BLAKE: We went 4-5, so not a great season, but I think I played pretty well. We had a completely different offense from what we ran last year. Before, it was the spread and this year it was the double wing, so it was a little bit of an adjustment, but towards the end of the season I started to understand it a little better and got used to it.

Q: You were missing one of your teammates, Iowa commit Romeo McKnight, all year since he had to undergo knee surgery before the season. Can you talk about what Iowa is getting in him once he’s healthy?

BLAKE: Well, I used to train with him all of the time and he’s got one of the best inside moves I’ve ever gone against in pass pro. I think they’re going to get a guy that’s fast off the edge, very explosive, and has very good hips. I would say that’s one of his best attributes.

See highlights from Blake's sophomore year in the video below:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4130081/highlights/306813410/v2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.