ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
With Wieskamp's commitment for next year's class and Uhl the only junior, are we done recruiting for 2018. I would love to get Hauser but he is a long shot at best.

Marquette is favored but Michigan State and Wisconsin are after him hard. He has visited those three multiple time, Iowa not much love.

We still need to find a scholarship for Conner. So considering our depth of bigs and our dearth of scholarships, we probably won't have a way or room for Hauser.

Depending on if guys transfer of course.

Depth of bigs will probably lead to a couple transfers eventually. Probably after next year.

Depth of bigs will probably lead to a couple transfers eventually. Probably after next year.
I'm not so sure, given that our two current backup bigs (Pemsl and Kriener) are both Iowa kids who have always wanted to play here. Wagner will be going into his senior year after next year, and Cook has a starting spot on the team. So unless Garza comes in and is immediately unhappy with his PT as a frosh, I don't think that we'll be seeing any transfers from post players.

Reactions: Vbeachawk
I'm not so sure, given that our two current backup bigs (Pemsl and Kriener) are both Iowa kids who have always wanted to play here. Wagner will be going into his senior year after next year, and Cook has a starting spot on the team. So unless Garza comes in and is immediately unhappy with his PT as a frosh, I don't think that we'll be seeing any transfers from post players.

That's good logic. I hope you are right and I agree with the Iowa kid angle. My reasoning was simply transfers come down to playing time. From this information:
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball which is a little dated but probably accurate year to year it says "Generally, close to 90% of all MBB transfers say they leave for athletic reasons". Playing time is the reason pretty much every kid has left under Fran. I admit, its impossible to predict without know the specifics of each situation, but it will be tough to keep multiple players happy and content without seeing time.

That's good logic. I hope you are right and I agree with the Iowa kid angle. My reasoning was simply transfers come down to playing time. From this information:
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball which is a little dated but probably accurate year to year it says "Generally, close to 90% of all MBB transfers say they leave for athletic reasons". Playing time is the reason pretty much every kid has left under Fran. I admit, its impossible to predict without know the specifics of each situation, but it will be tough to keep multiple players happy and content without seeing time.
A transfer isn't impossible (nor would it necessarily even be surprising); I just don't believe that it'll happen.

We still need athletic guards that can defend, dribble drive, shoot 3ball. Most of our guards only do 1 or 2 of those things well.

Hauser doesn't seem interested and his position is already well stocked with bodies.

A transfer isn't impossible (nor would it necessarily even be surprising); I just don't believe that it'll happen.

I would guess Dailey may be the most likely transfer.. Guy just isn't seeing the floor. There's nobody else that I'm really convinced there's a high likelihood of a transfer, but who knows.

I would guess Dailey may be the most likely transfer.. Guy just isn't seeing the floor. There's nobody else that I'm really convinced there's a high likelihood of a transfer, but who knows.
Yeah, sorry, I meant in terms of post players

Fran asked him to since he knew with Pete being a senior there would not be much playing time. Baer did it and when watching The Journey he explains how it can set you up to be more comfortable with system and flow of the game. Plus you get a 5th year with the program.

Fran asked him to since he knew with Pete being a senior there would not be much playing time. Baer did it and when watching The Journey he explains how it can set you up to be more comfortable with system and flow of the game. Plus you get a 5th year with the program.
I like Daily's game. The kid has a nice stroke and is athletic. Moss's redshirt helped him a lot. Too bad he didn't. The fact that hasn't played even in mop-up duty concerns me.

We can do better than Dailey, if there's a good transfer option available at guard, I'd like to see him replace Dailey.

I think Dailey was smart in not redshirting this year. He got to see where the coach saw him fit and in what order. Now, if he chooses to transfer he can redshirt at the new school and then play for 3 years. Otherwise he would go a redshirt year a transfer year and not play for 2 years.
I think he will transfer and if he is smart to a UNC Wilmington or similar and have a nice career.
We need and can get a better guard this time around.
Fran is developing a sexy program where kids can run and shoot and have fun scoring a lot of points. He's had 4 years straight 1st team all big 10 players out of guys who generally weren't 4 or 5 star recruits.

Reactions: Hawkcop
I would like to see Garza or Nunge redshirt, but I don't think our depth at the 4/5 is that great to cause someone to transfer. Baer is going to be playing a mix of the 3/4, Uhl is graduating next year and there is even a POSSIBILITY that Cook goes pro a year or two early. Plus, you never know about injuries.

With Wieskamp's commitment for next year's class and Uhl the only junior, are we done recruiting for 2018. I would love to get Hauser but he is a long shot at best.

Marquette is favored but Michigan State and Wisconsin are after him hard. He has visited those three multiple time, Iowa not much love.
I think Bucky has been able to make up ground and I sense it is now a toss up. Coach Izzo is apparently not about to give up and has been following Joey around to not only Barnstormer but Stevens Point HS games.

I would like to see Garza or Nunge redshirt, but I don't think our depth at the 4/5 is that great to cause someone to transfer. Baer is going to be playing a mix of the 3/4, Uhl is graduating next year and there is even a POSSIBILITY that Cook goes pro a year or two early. Plus, you never know about injuries.

Yep, Nunge seems to be the more likely candidate and I dont know why I say that. I guess I see these skinny kids and feel like that extra year and 15 lbs will be hugely beneficial to the down the road.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I like Daily's game. The kid has a nice stroke and is athletic. Moss's redshirt helped him a lot. Too bad he didn't. The fact that hasn't played even in mop-up duty concerns me.

It would have been better for Daily than for Iowa for him to redshirt.

He didn't want to so whatever.

I am curious why everyone says the redshirt was good for Moss? It was good for him academicly but basketball wise it may have been more beneficial for him and the team to have played last year.

He probably helps out last year more than Ellingson or Williams and he would have come in more experienced for this year.

Redshirting a talented player who can play is usually not the way to go unless its for grades.

We can do better than Dailey, if there's a good transfer option available at guard, I'd like to see him replace Dailey.

I like his game and his length and athleticism.

Looks better than Jok or Marble at the same stage.

If he doesn't break in next year he probably will leave though.

I like his game and his length and athleticism.

Looks better than Jok or Marble at the same stage.

If he doesn't break in next year he probably will leave though.

Based on what? Jok and Marble both were getting real game minutes at this point.

Based on what? Jok and Marble both were getting real game minutes at this point.

Admittedly not much. He doesn't look out of place though. Has nice looking shot, and again size and athleticism. Much smoother looking athlete at the same time.

You cant really get a decent comparison by minutes because they're not even close to similar situations.

Not saying he'll be better than them, probably wont, but just pointing out how much a player can improve from freshman to upperclassmen.

Last edited:
It is starting to sound like Dale Jones will be gone next year. That will be Connor's scholarship. The only transfer I could see is Dailey. The only reason I say that is because he didn't redshirt for a reason, he wanted play.

It is starting to sound like Dale Jones will be gone next year. That will be Connor's scholarship. The only transfer I could see is Dailey. The only reason I say that is because he didn't redshirt for a reason, he wanted play.

I mean they just included him in the senior day stuff with Jok including a token start. I think it's safe to say he's gone. That still leaves us one short on scholarships though.

Jok's ride is Garza's ride. Jones' ride is Nunge's ride. Need another transfer to get Connor a ride or he walks on.

Reactions: hawkfan1963
It would have been better for Daily than for Iowa for him to redshirt.

He didn't want to so whatever.

I am curious why everyone says the redshirt was good for Moss? It was good for him academicly but basketball wise it may have been more beneficial for him and the team to have played last year.

He probably helps out last year more than Ellingson or Williams and he would have come in more experienced for this year.

Redshirting a talented player who can play is usually not the way to go unless its for grades.
i dont think moss plays last year if he does not red shirt

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Jok's ride is Garza's ride. Jones' ride is Nunge's ride. Need another transfer to get Connor a ride or he walks on.

Guess I was assuming that we still had one to give considering a weeks ago it was still being assumed Jones would be back.

Much more likely that Iowa would recruit a guard, if another scholarship opened up. I also don't see anyone, except Dailey, who would be likely to leave. Dailey would mostly be competing with Connor for minutes.

If Garza (and/or maybe Nunge) get some serious minutes, and I trust Kriener's gonna be much better, Cook and Pemsl already are locked in, then what's left. There's only 80 minutes a game at those 2 spots. Baer's gonna get a few of those minutes also, as well as Uhl. Love Wagner but I'd be thinking about it if I wanted serious minutes my last 2 years. He and Dailey (reasons already stated) make the most sense for transfers IMO. I think Cook stays at least 3 yrs unless he starts drilling 3s next year fwiw. I really hope Moss gets over the hump cause it worries me there's potential there and I really think he can be really good! Like I wish he had Cordell's attitude! We need 2 to leave to even discuss any additions to 2018, so It's interesting if we're going after anyone to hard.

i dont think moss plays last year if he does not red shirt

Considering Williams and Ellingson did play and Iowa really struggled to score from the guard spot and Moss was the highest rated recruit in that class...I really can't see any reason why he wouldn't have.

Coaches handle playing time. Imagine trying to find time for all the talented players that Kentucky, Kansas, NC and others too, bring in yearly. Top rated players every single year and either find time or have them sit for a year or 2, it's the way college basketball works. Lots of players move because of this but that's why the coaches make the big money.

A 5th year is quite a benefit for those looking for an education instead of a pro career. To get an additional year in the classroom for free is a huge perk IMO. Other then maybe Jok and Cook I would encourage anyone to redshirt that gets the chance. I understand that's not how 18 year olds think, but later in life I bet most would agree with me.

You've got a lot of time in the real world and much like the extra year prepares you for greater success in basketball another year of preparation helps set you up for life after basketball. A second major or a big headstart on a graduate degree could change things for someone's life.

Reactions: DFos and DewHawk
Since he didn't really play much at all, that is why. It is a detriment from him transferring I guess if that is positive.
He is literally the 13th guy on the roster. Why people get all up in arms about guys transferring in basketball or decommitting in football is beyond me. If he or anyone goes it will be one of 500-800 guys doing in in D1 basketball. People bitch about Fran's rotation being too big....I guess the programs that only play 7-8 guys regularly have a real big problem.....

Considering Williams and Ellingson did play and Iowa really struggled to score from the guard spot and Moss was the highest rated recruit in that class...I really can't see any reason why he wouldn't have.
There was no way he'd would have gotten significant time last year behind Clemmons, Gessel and Jok. Williams played very little last year. Heck, Moss is really only getting back up minutes this year. Very few players WOULDN'T benefit from a redshirt year.

We still need athletic guards that can defend, dribble drive, shoot 3ball. Most of our guards only do 1 or 2 of those things well.

Hauser doesn't seem interested and his position is already well stocked with bodies.

This, but it ain't easy finding high school players that can do all three well and the ones that do end up as a one and done at one of the powers.

There was no way he'd would have gotten significant time last year behind Clemmons, Gessel and Jok. Williams played very little last year. Heck, Moss is really only getting back up minutes this year. Very few players WOULDN'T benefit from a redshirt year.

There was a very obvioys way he would have got playing time.

You think there wasnt a need or room for another guard on last years team?

Having no real backup at any of those 3 positions is exactly why there was room for another guard.

You think Fran purposely wanted no one to back up thoes 3 spots? On a team that desperatly needed a back up gaurd and another shooter. Thats ridiculous.

He tried giving Ellingson the minutes but he played himself out of the rotation.

Last edited:
Just saw this thread. Now that Connor has declared he will redshirt, I think Dailey has no reason to transfer--and it wouldn't be good for Iowa if he did. He'll see minutes next year. Guards next year: Bohannon, Moss, Williams, Ellingson, and Dailey. You never know which of those guys will progress the most over the offseason and I sure as heck wouldn't want only four guards on the roster. I think Dailey has a future at Iowa even if it isn't as a starter (though you never know how he'll progress).

Reactions: hawk-i bob
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT