ADVERTISEMENT

2019/2020 is the year

JerryDennard

HR MVP
Feb 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Forget all this "hot seat" "Fire Fran" and "next year or bust" crap: 2019/2020 is the year. JBo will be a senior. So will Cook (assuming he stays). Nunge and Garza will be juniors. Wieskamp will have a full year under his belt; so will Connor. PMac will be coming in, and hopefully, DJ Carton (or Locure).

This year was always gonna be trash - I never expected "trash on fire" trash like it is now, but I honestly said at the beginning of the year this is a 15-18 win team (and I got hell for it).

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/redshirts.195896/

Next year, hopefully we improve to 17-19 wins. Neither of which makes the tourney, and even if we did, neither of which makes it out of the 2nd round.

2019/2020 is the year.

At least we knew Lick's teams were going to suck. This is ridiculous. The record is what it is, but there is no effort at all. Defense is all about effort and discipline and this team is an embarrassment on D. Not like we are are good on O but we give up 80 with the other team (who sucks) taking the air out of the ball. In 40 years of watching this is by far the worst I have seen.

Some of you must think McCaffery came in as a football coach and was tasked with starting a football program that never existed while having to wait until the local high school team was done practicing so they could have a field.

Forget all this "hot seat" "Fire Fran" and "next year or bust" crap: 2019/2020 is the year. JBo will be a senior. So will Cook (assuming he stays). Nunge and Garza will be juniors. Wieskamp will have a full year under his belt; so will Connor. PMac will be coming in, and hopefully, DJ Carton (or Locure).

This year was always gonna be trash - I never expected "trash on fire" trash like it is now, but I honestly said at the beginning of the year this is a 15-18 win team (and I got hell for it).

Next year, hopefully we improve to 17-19 wins. Neither of which makes the tourney, and even if we did, neither of which makes it out of the 2nd round.

2019/2020 is the year.
I thought we'd be better because of last years performances by some of these guys, but yes, this team is led by a bunch of fresh/Sophs at this point. It's hard to swallow, and made tougher by our over-reactive fan base. He needs to get Carton, no excuses. Locure is not the answer. I think Weiskamp is better than any 2/3 we have on the roster right now, and he should help immensely next year. We have a line of recruits in state that all seem to like Fran, and are very important to make this program strong in Joe, Carton, Pat, and Foster. All the highest recruits since Barnes 2010/Paige 2012. Switching coaches at this point or next, we lose Pat for sure and likely the other two. Is it worth firing Fran to lose these guys?

I would also like people to think about something. Iowa basketball has always been a representation for the talent in the state. Millard, Bowen, Settles, Mcausland, Oliver, Davis, Horner, Haluska, Brunner, Gatens, Uthoff, Woodbury, and Jok among others. If you look at our roster, I think it represents what was going on with bball in our state the last couple years. 2013-2015, the talent in state was not very good, pretty bad actually. Morgan and Jacobsen are about the only players to come to mind during that 3 years. With Morgan last year, Iowa may very well have been an NCAA team. Those classes would have been this years Junior and Senior classes, and last years Senior class. I'm hoping this is a blip on the radar for Iowa bball this year, and things turn around led by the really good in-state talent on the horizon.

2019/2020 is the year.
The fact we are in Year 8 of the Fran regime and we have fans already conceding to wait until Year 10 to make some noise ... that is just plain sad.

If CHA is half empty for the rest of this season, that could force Barta's hand.

It will only force his hand to make Fran fire an assistant.
After watching some of the games this season I see the need for a PG that can drive and create, but I also saw last night the need for a shot blocker. If we had that one guy like Gabe who teams knew was at the back of the defense then we wouldn't be getting out of position as much as we do. The opposing teams pg wouldn't get a free pass to the bucket.

Threads like these make Iowa fans look kind of sad and pathetic. Words like "next year", "hopefully", "could have", "X is the year", etc. get old in football and bball. But hey if it makes you feel better...keep on with your wishful thinking. I "wish" it could actually translate into results

Threads like these make Iowa fans look kind of sad and pathetic. Words like "next year", "hopefully", "could have", "X is the year", etc. get old in football and bball. But hey if it makes you feel better...keep on with your wishful thinking. I "wish" it could actually translate into results
Burn it down then? It sucks to watch when many thought they’d be better, but people act like it only happens at Iowa or that Iowa has been bad since Lickliter took over and didn’t make any progress since Fran took over. Yes, they’ve taken a step back and seem to be missing a couple pieces, but at schools like Iowa you don’t make decisions based off one bad year of results. But keep up the good work of making yourself feel better by putting down the program and it’s fans.

The fact we are in Year 8 of the Fran regime and we have fans already conceding to wait until Year 10 to make some noise ... that is just plain sad.
I appreciate not only your frustration and all the others who are frustrated as well. I'm pissed too, but to remove the head coach mid-stream, to me anyway, would not be good.

These players are used to a particular style, and many of the parts we have don't work well as there are a few cogs missing, as well as the athletic ability to run the motion offense.

Say a new coach were to come in. They would have to adjust to a whole new style and probably have to do things differently. Not entirely sure the players could accept it right away. That would be one hell of an adjustment for the kids. What about possible transfers? Morale might take a big hit too (if it's not damaged now). And naturally, folks want immediate success (which is understandable), and it may happen slower than folks like. There are probably a whole lot more factors involved that you all can teach me.

But a program rebuild is going to take a lot of effort and a lot of time by the coaches and players.

That's why I am saying IMHO that we could give Fran the rest of this season and next season as well and then scrutinize the program to its fullest extent.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Hitch your wagon to Fran and you will never see the NCAA tournament. You can talk about the future state all you like. This team is bad and outside of maybe 2-3 guys, there is no up side left. Moss, Baer, Ellingson, Wagner, Kriener, Pemsl are who they are. These guys aren't going to come back next season with more game. I think it's a coin toss if Nunge comes back. In Fran's dog house, has been called out and looks to be rather sideways out there.

That leaves enough powder to pack a .22 shell with Bohannon, Cook, Garza, and maybe Dailey. New guys Connor, Frederick, and Weiskamp. Maybe JW is the real deal, but he will still be a freshman with little talent around him. If Connor isn't 85% of Bryant McIntosh, then no big up side there. Frederick is either going to be heir apparent to Oglesby, Fleming, and Ellingson or a Jake Kelly type player--let's hope for the latter...we are due.

Reactions: Mcbooger
Hitch your wagon to Fran and you will never see the NCAA tournament. You can talk about the future state all you like. This team is bad and outside of maybe 2-3 guys, there is no up side left. Moss, Baer, Ellingson, Wagner, Kriener, Pemsl are who they are. These guys aren't going to come back next season with more game. I think it's a coin toss if Nunge comes back. In Fran's dog house, has been called out and looks to be rather sideways out there.

That leaves enough powder to pack a .22 shell with Bohannon, Cook, Garza, and maybe Dailey. New guys Connor, Frederick, and Weiskamp. Maybe JW is the real deal, but he will still be a freshman with little talent around him. If Connor isn't 85% of Bryant McIntosh, then no big up side there. Frederick is either going to be heir apparent to Oglesby, Fleming, and Ellingson or a Jake Kelly type player--let's hope for the latter...we are due.

I really wish they just stop playing Ellingson Kreiner Wagner Pemsl all of them just play
JBO
Moss
Baer
Cook
Garza

Nunge
Dailey

Kriener/Pemsl just for resting minutes like 4-5 minutes a game and never on the court at the same time.
that's it let them grow and get tons of playing time to get better no reason to play anyone else.

i like the lineup of
PG Carton/C Mac/JBO
SG Weiscamp/JBO/Moss
SF P MAc/ Moss/Dailey
PF Cook/ Nunge/ Pemsl
C Garza/ kriener

That's final four right there
That is some nice pieces, but it is a glaring lack of foot speed that would get torched defensively. Add an athletic 2, move JW to the 3, and we move in the right direction.

Reactions: Mcbooger
i like the lineup of
PG Carton/C Mac/JBO
SG Weiscamp/JBO/Moss
SF P MAc/ Moss/Dailey
PF Cook/ Nunge/ Pemsl
C Garza/ kriener

That's final four right there
I appreciate not only your frustration and all the others who are frustrated as well. I'm pissed too, but to remove the head coach mid-stream, to me anyway, would not be good.

These players are used to a particular style, and many of the parts we have don't work well as there are a few cogs missing, as well as the athletic ability to run the motion offense.

Say a new coach were to come in. They would have to adjust to a whole new style and probably have to do things differently. Not entirely sure the players could accept it right away. That would be one hell of an adjustment for the kids. What about possible transfers? Morale might take a big hit too (if it's not damaged now). And naturally, folks want immediate success (which is understandable), and it may happen slower than folks like. There are probably a whole lot more factors involved that you all can teach me.

But a program rebuild is going to take a lot of effort and a lot of time by the coaches and players.

That's why I am saying IMHO that we could give Fran the rest of this season and next season as well and then scrutinize the program to its fullest extent.
Oh I'm not saying remove Fran now ... I know Fran gets at least 1 or 2 more years ... "just because" he will ... Fran's overall body of work at Iowa has been extraordinarily "average." If they don't have a run in the tourney next year ... then bye bye

147-111 overall
65-68 in Big 10 play

Edit: This team plays no defense. None. I'm not convinced even if we did have the right players that Fran could coach this team any deeper than the first round ... I personally don't think he is a great coach ...

Fran is to nice to his players and plays all of them it's annoying it doesnt allow the actually good players to get into a groove and comfortable there constantly coming in and out. Play 8 guys JBO moss Baer cook Garza Nunge Dailey.... and Pemsl of Kriener to spot up cook or Garza when needed.

Reactions: hawkfanmb
Can someone tell me what Tom Davis’ record was in his 8th season? I’m too lazy to look it up.

Lack of historical perspective.

Tom Davis went 11-16 in his 8th season.

I don't like losing this way but the team is young and we're adding two 4 stars next year in Connor and Joe.

I don't like losing this way but the team is young and we're adding two 4 stars next year in Connor and Joe.
Davis teams were much better coached than what we are seeing now. No excuse for the current state of Iowa basketball.

Reactions: ClintBarton

Lack of historical perspective indeed...

Tom's first seven years: 152-72 (six NCAA's and four years finishing ranked in AP T25)

Fran's first seven years: 137-101 (three NCAA's and one year finishing ranked in AP T25)

The team is not that young, they are simply ill-coached...and that is not acceptable no matter what year you are in.

"2019-2020 is the year"

Oh is it?........

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Tom Davis scheduled non-con cupcakes and you know it. Those were pre-RPI days and when we hosted the Carver Hawkeye Classic. The game has changed; adapt or die.
Fran has also scheduled multiple directional schools and other bad mid majors, negatively impacting Iowa's RPI even if Iowa does win.

I'm calling your B.S. right here. Despite the loss of Jok, every fan I know expected this team to take a step forward this year, not a giant step back. I think you're saying this to make yourself feel better and support your argument.

He literally posted a link from July where he said it.

It’s only been 8 years since Lickliter, Fran needs at least 4 more so he can get his own recruits in the program. :)

I felt like we made some noise the last 5 years to be honest. This year sucks, mainly because of those two recruiting class failures in 14/15.
I'd love to hear your definition of making noise. Because I don't consider not winning a BIG Tournament game in 8 years, not finishing above 3rd in the conference regular season and never getting to the 2nd weekend of NCAA Tournament "making noise"

Anyone who thinks Weiskamp is going to be the savior of this program is deluding themselves.
I agree. He won't even get close to being a savior. He will make an impact on the offensive side of the floor as early as next year IMO, but if the defense doesn't improve drastically, we won't be going anywhere anytime soon. And that starts with Fran. And THAT is why people want him fired

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT