2019 Bowl Schedule

Joes Place

HR King
Aug 28, 2003
12bdxa.jpg

;)

** 'Cept you, Nebraska.

NO Bowl Game for YOU!!!!

Sixteen team playoff. Think of the controversy! Playoff selection this year was boring as hell.

I was thinking of the AP/Coaches Polls, but that’s true of the BCS. Hard to know what the CFP would have had us at that year. Probably 4 and in.
Depends on what criteria they prioritized. The 2002 BCS standings emphasized strength of schedule over margin of victory and gave bonus points for wins over teams that finished in the Top 10. USC played a brutal schedule that year. Their non-conference slate was Auburn, Notre Dame, Kansas State, and Colorado. That’s why they were ranked ahead of Iowa even with 2 losses.

Depends on what criteria they prioritized. The 2002 BCS standings emphasized strength of schedule over margin of victory and gave bonus points for wins over teams that finished in the Top 10. USC played a brutal schedule that year. Their non-conference slate was Auburn, Notre Dame, Kansas State, and Colorado. That’s why they were ranked ahead of Iowa even with 2 losses.

But we were ranked ahead of Georgia in the human polls. And the CFP is a human model at the end of the day. I would say that BOTH USC and Iowa would have gotten in over Georgia. That is, if the powers that be could bear to part with an SEC school. :rolleyes:

But we were ranked ahead of Georgia in the human polls. And the CFP is a human model at the end of the day. I would say that BOTH USC and Iowa would have gotten in over Georgia. That is, if the powers that be could bear to part with an SEC school. :rolleyes:
There’s no way the CFP takes two Big Ten teams and leaves a 12-1 SEC champion out. Georgia was #3 in the BCS rankings. They weren’t going to fall all the way to #5 regardless of what the human polls said.

Unless you're in the Group of Five. Win all your games and you still can't get to the playoffs.
I feel this is a more legit point to be sold.

If you have 16 games, then Georgia v LSU, Alabama vs Auburn, The Big 12 Championship, Ohio St - Michigan, Alabama v LSU etc are all basically irrelevant. The loser can just go ah well, I guess we'll get them in the playoffs. We might get a couple extra good games in the playoffs that we might not have otherwise seen, but how many are we losing?

I feel this is a more legit point to be sold.

If you have 16 games, then Georgia v LSU, Alabama vs Auburn, The Big 12 Championship, Ohio St - Michigan, Alabama v LSU etc are all basically irrelevant. The loser can just go ah well, I guess we'll get them in the playoffs. We might get a couple extra good games in the playoffs that we might not have otherwise seen, but how many are we losing?

Basically, set up the last 2 games of the season to be a set of 4 "Regionals", 4 teams each (16 total).

• Conference championships in the Power 5 (SEC, B10, B12, PAC12, ACC) comprise 5 of the Regional semifinals
  • Set up 3 other games (6 teams) for at-large and independents (any Independents or non-Power 5 teams in the top 20 get an automatic Regional Semi bid
  • Power 5 teams not in their conference championship get a bid in remaining slots, based on rankings - so this year Penn St or MN might have made that list
  • Play the Regional Semi games (Conf championships) the week before we play them now
  • The last "regular season" game becomes the Regional Finals for the BCS bowl play ins

Cut out all but one of the 'early season' non-conference games to make room for it.
Tack on another end of season non-conf game for teams if you want, when the Regional Semis are going on.

16 team field, whittled down to 4 for Bowl Season by the 1st week of December.

As cord cutters continue to hurt ESPN I wonder if at some point they will stop funding so many bowl games.

their camera people do outstanding work not show the empty stands.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT