ADVERTISEMENT

***2019 Hawkeye Women’s Soccer Season Thread***

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
Continued from the HROT thread here: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...chigan-and-preseason-talk.281441/#post-6777247

I was at the home opener last night. The good? Very similar to last season in that we looked well-organized front to back, and rock solid defensively. Our creativity and deceptiveness was better than what I saw last year. Some of our freshmen bring a new dimension to the attack. Hegelheimer nearly had a second spectacular goal in as many games. Took a pass out of the the air and touched it over the keeper only to have the outside defender JUST beat her to the ball. And Winters was Winters (apart from one bad giveaway). Lethal penalty taker. The bad? Wasting a LOT of great chances that we created was our biggest problem. Too many chances in close that went wide or over the bar. Hopefully that’s home opening adrenaline, but cool and collected finishing is a must in B1G play, when we will have less chances. We also need to eliminate the unforced errors in passing through midfield. A better team might have converted, and we WILL see better. Highlights below...

Last edited:
I was following that along with the Michigan and Northwestern games (because I have two former athletes that play for them).

I was a little concerned with the missed chances but the important thing is that they were able to create them. 1-0 is better than the alternative (see Northwestern after their 1-0 loss to SMU...)

4-0. Waiting on competition to see what we have.

Killer attack and leaky defense. Very un-Dilanni like season. I am really concerned when we face teams like PSU and Purdue that can shred even a good defense. This nutmeg and blast was awesome though:

Hello, Top 25 ranking! Announcers today were REALLY impressed with Iowa. UNCG has been to back-to-back NCAAs. They clearly had not seen them dominated at home like this in a while:

Reactions: biggreydogs
While I appreciate another W. This is an extremely soft schedule. The Big will determine fact or fiction.

Soft? Yes. Extremely? I disagree. ISU has had plenty of upsets last year, UNCG is typically a tournament team, and NC State may still be top 25 material. Sunday at Notre Dame is obviously huge.

Soft? Yes. Extremely? I disagree. ISU has had plenty of upsets last year, UNCG is typically a tournament team, and NC State may still be top 25 material. Sunday at Notre Dame is obviously huge.
Notre Dame huge. The clowns aren’t good. I have watched them last 4 years as I have a personal friend whose daughter plays for them. Love the player to death but the team sucks. Let’s see Sunday. Hopefully a W.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
FANTASTIC road win! They are proving they can win in many different ways: offensive back-and-forths, defensive grudge matches, playing with a lead, coming from behind (like today). Now can they keep this up in the B1G? They’ve definitely set themselves up nicely with quality non-conference wins.

Last edited:
FANTASTIC road win! They are proving they can win in many different ways: offensive back-and-Firth’s, defensive grudge matches, playing with a lead, coming from behind (like today). Now can they keep this up in the B1G? They’ve definitely set themselves up nicely with quality non-conference wins.
Gophers loose 1-0 to SDSU. Roll rabbits!

FANTASTIC road win! They are proving they can win in many different ways: offensive back-and-forths, defensive grudge matches, playing with a lead, coming from behind (like today). Now can they keep this up in the B1G? They’ve definitely set themselves up nicely with quality non-conference wins.

We have to be ranked now, right?

#25 Iowa with a decisive win over a red hot Illinois team just outside the top 25. Got to bag a W vs Northwestern Sunday to get back to that top 20 we were at. Devin Burns with another highlight reel rocket too...

#25 Iowa with a decisive win over a red hot Illinois team just outside the top 25. Got to bag a W vs Northwestern Sunday to get back to that top 20 we were at. Devin Burns with another highlight reel rocket too...

ok, so I'm not exactly expecting a Derek Rae broadcast here, but the woman doing color sounded like she'd had about 7 beers before the game, and the play-by-play guy just called every whistle a "foul", whether it was offside, handball, etc.

ok, so I'm not exactly expecting a Derek Rae broadcast here, but the woman doing color sounded like she'd had about 7 beers before the game, and the play-by-play guy just called every whistle a "foul", whether it was offside, handball, etc.

I think they were using the usual BTN Student U broadcasters.

Iowa goes out and dominates a red hot Illinois team (that were the first ones out of the top 25 poll and riding a 5 game win streak), 3-1 on national television. Then yesterday, dominated a mediocre Northwestern team in terms of shots and possession only to drop the match 2-1 in OT. Probably knocks us out of the Top 25, which is a shame.

Iowa goes out and dominates a red hot Illinois team (that were the first ones out of the top 25 poll and riding a 5 game win streak), 3-1 on national television. Then yesterday, dominated a mediocre Northwestern team in terms of shots and possession only to drop the match 2-1 in OT. Probably knocks us out of the Top 25, which is a shame.

Mediocre is an understatement. I went to the game and Iowa had to withstand some early pressure from NW in the second half then the Cats were gassed. If anything was obvious from that game it was that Iowa struggles on set pieces, especially corners. I was there to watch a former player who plays for NW and she is the ONLY upperclassmen on the team. She is only a junior.

The good news is that Iowa bounced back with a win against the Huskers. Need to beat Michigan St. this weekend. I would anticipate that happening but you never know.

Back to form this weekend, taking out the ‘Huskers and now a Spartan team that’s tough in East Lansing...

Planning on taking my kids to their (and my) first womens soccer match friday night. It's supposed to be cold. Anyone know if we could bring in a thermos of hot chocolate?

Thanks!

Planning on taking my kids to their (and my) first womens soccer match friday night. It's supposed to be cold. Anyone know if we could bring in a thermos of hot chocolate?

Thanks!

Great question. The biggest issue with a thermos would be the no alcohol policy. That and they MIGHT be selling it. I know they sell coffee during cold games. However, I bet if you bought a concession item to bring in, and informed them that it’s just hot chocolate for you and the kids, no one would give you a hard time. It’s pretty laid back.

Excellent choice of first game to come to, BTW. If the Hawks win, it would be their third top 25 victory and put them firmly in the drivers seat for an NCAA Tournament berth.

Reactions: HawkinCT
Started off well I thought with strong work in the midfield but the attacking third had some difficulty.

Didn't haven't many chances until Rutgers pulled back deep late in the game.

We had fun regardless and will come again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT