ADVERTISEMENT

***2019 Hawkeye Women’s Soccer Season Thread***

Unfortunately they didnt get the w. 1-0 loss to Rutgers.

Started off well I thought with strong work in the midfield but the attacking third had some difficulty.

Didn't haven't many chances until Rutgers pulled back deep late in the game.

We had fun regardless and will come again.

Props to Rutgers defense. Iowa yet again out-shoots an opponent (they have out-shot every opponent apart from Notre Dame, whom they beat), but drops a close one. Two outstanding saves from the Rutgers 'keeper, but their entire back line was feisty and suffocating.

Really nice bounce back with a 4-0 rout of Maryland (who was just behind us, in 5th place). It's clear that Wisconsin, Rutgers, Michigan, and ourselves are definite top tier of the conference. Another big road match against a top 10 Wisconsin looms Thursday.

I smell a national championship......

Ha! I don't even smell a Big Ten Championship, with the tournament at Rutgers. But we are actually back in the conversation this year.

Last edited:
Props to Rutgers defense. Iowa yet again out-shoots an opponent (they have out-shot every opponent apart from Notre Dame, whom they beat), but drops a close one. Two outstanding saves from the Rutgers 'keeper, but their entire back line was feisty and suffocating.

Really nice bounce back with a 4-0 rout of Maryland (who was just behind us, in 5th place). It's clear that Wisconsin, Rutgers, Michigan, and ourselves are definite top tier of the conference. Another big road match against a top 10 Wisconsin looms Thursday.

Ha! I don't even smell a Big Ten Championship, with the tournament at Rutgers. But we are actually back in the conversation this year.

Heck, I am just hoping to be a lock to make the NCAAs this year. Two big road wins at ND and at NC State should help.

If Iowa can knock off Wisconsin (where have I heard that?), that should seal it minus a huge collapse.

Heck, I am just hoping to be a lock to make the NCAAs this year. Two big road wins at ND and at NC State should help.

If Iowa can knock off Wisconsin (where have I heard that?), that should seal it minus a huge collapse.

Yeah, beating a top 10 Wisconsin team on the road would pretty much clinch it. And yes, that seems a recurring theme this year for Iowa's Fall athletics. ;)

So what does a tie against a top 10 Wisconsin mean? Good result on the road!

Wisconsin was 6-0-0 in B1G play before that. The most important aspect of the result was getting two goals in Madison against a very stout 'keeper and defense. It definitely won't hurt our tournament resume'. At least a win and a draw in these last two matches, or one more quality win in the tournament, and I'd say we are a lock.

Wisconsin was 6-0-0 in B1G play before that. The most important aspect of the result was getting two goals in Madison against a very stout 'keeper and defense. It definitely won't hurt our tournament resume'. At least a win and a draw in these last two matches, or one more quality win in the tournament, and I'd say we are a lock.

I really would think we are almost in anyway. Two bad losses to Purdue and Northwestern though.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Brought the kids down and we were at the game today. An overhit corner with less than 30 seconds gets retrieved on the opposite side, cross in, and a mad scramble inside the 18 (I think it took a deflection). What a great way to get to 15-3-1!!!

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Brought the kids down and we were at the game today. An overhit corner with less than 30 seconds gets retrieved on the opposite side, cross in, and a mad scramble inside the 18 (I think it took a deflection). What a great way to get to 15-3-1!!!

I was there with my youngest daughter too! 4 seconds left (6 on the stadium scoreboard). What a way to end the regular season!

Last edited:
The Penn State loss on the road wasn't that bad as they're at 40 in the RPI. Iowa sat at 38 going into today.

Penn St., NW, and Wisconsin last year were in the tournament with similar records and RPI (NW was 46). It's pretty much the same as baseball, where it's pretty much all about the RPI and results against quality teams (NC State, Wisconsin and Notre Dame are all locks). Iowa will have both of those things going in their favor, and I think it's much more likely they're in than not. But the loss does mean there's basically no chance for a home game to start, they'll be away to a higher ranked team.

The Penn State loss on the road wasn't that bad as they're at 40 in the RPI. Iowa sat at 38 going into today.

Penn St., NW, and Wisconsin last year were in the tournament with similar records and RPI (NW was 46). It's pretty much the same as baseball, where it's pretty much all about the RPI and results against quality teams (NC State, Wisconsin and Notre Dame are all locks). Iowa will have both of those things going in their favor, and I think it's much more likely they're in than not. But the loss does mean there's basically no chance for a home game to start, they'll be away to a higher ranked team.

I was feeling pretty good this morning when Soccer 360 ranked us as the lowest RPI “safe” team. I trust them as their formula is purely mathematical and based on the NCAA’s past selections.

Iowa will play #3 seed Kansas, so that makes it a #14 seed I guess. Big Ten has a #3 seed, two #4 seeds, and Michigan looks to be an equivalent of a #5 seed.

Iowa will play #3 seed Kansas, so that makes it a #14 seed I guess. Big Ten has a #3 seed, two #4 seeds, and Michigan looks to be an equivalent of a #5 seed.

Yeah, Kansas is a low 3 seed compared to Wisconsin. I actually realized I saw them vs Iowa State on Cyclone TV when there was nothing else live on Halloween night. Looked very beatable there (won 2-1, same as our score against the ‘Clones), but that was away and on artificial grass in Ames. They played a ton of B1G teams non-conference. Went 5-0-0 against teams we went 3-1-1 against.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT