ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Iowa Volleyball

The B10 is a meatgrinder in VB. We have some good players, just not good enough to win many conference games, I fear.

Reactions: BDJHawk
Washington wasn't quite so bad - we took them to 33-31 1st set, won the 3rd set, and the other two lost sets were both 25-23. Colorado was more of a disappointment, but the worst set was 25-20. Hoping we can win the S Dakota tournament next weekend, and our own after that. Maybe even stay out of the B10 cellar, though anything better than 10th or so is probably wishful thinking. The elder Buzzerio has been pretty tough so far. The younger one is our tallest player at 6-5. She's still listed as a setter, I wonder how long that stays that way.

Washington wasn't quite so bad - we took them to 33-31 1st set, won the 3rd set, and the other two lost sets were both 25-23. Colorado was more of a disappointment, but the worst set was 25-20. Hoping we can win the S Dakota tournament next weekend, and our own after that. Maybe even stay out of the B10 cellar, though anything better than 10th or so is probably wishful thinking. The elder Buzzerio has been pretty tough so far. The younger one is our tallest player at 6-5. She's still listed as a setter, I wonder how long that stays that way.

Yeah...you just keep hoping Iowa can break through and be a bubble NCAA team one year similar to baseball. Of course the talent gap in the B1G for volleyball is much more advanced significant.

The offense looks a little faster this year. Fun to watch. The B1G may actually be a little down. They'll finish better than 13th. I think they'll finish higher in the standings than last year. The Colorado / Wash losses are fine. Top 10 Illinois did the same thing.

Meghan Buzzerio - only Senior starter, six-rotation player, out for the season. That hurts big time.

Makes them an even younger team. Get wins where they can this year I suppose, and experience for coming years!

Last edited:
I saw that Courtney was starting at RS, did not know Megan had a career ender. Very sad.

Barta gave coach Brown a 5 year contract. Guess if it were me, I'd wait to see how the season played out. Have to say it reminds me of the hasty extension given Looper in SB.

Wow! Lose your setter and your best hitter has to set. Save two match points, and WIN!

What happened to Orr? I see she had 35 assists vs Purdue the other night. Practice injury? Is it known how bad? Interesting that C. Buzzerio has remained the backup setter while starting as a hitter, I'd think there aren't many 6-5 setters in the NCAA. Good to see Jones putting up big numbers again.

Disappointing loss to Rutgers at home, even with Megan B. & Orr out. The DI article says Orr is day to day.

Disappointing, but not shocking. Playing without two of your three best hitters (maybe top two) and your setter. I'd say it was shocking they were able to win on the road last week!

Just got B1G network and tested it out. They were showing Penn St vs. Nebbie VB at Nebraska. I don't know where they were playing - don't think the BB arena - but it was completely full. Iowa doesn't do that I am sure - not even sure if wrestling would get that many in the stands. Nebbie fans show up, that is for sure!!!

They do for baseball also. Went to see Iowa-Neb in Lincoln a few years ago and the crowd was around 9,000.

Just got B1G network and tested it out. They were showing Penn St vs. Nebbie VB at Nebraska. I don't know where they were playing - don't think the BB arena - but it was completely full. Iowa doesn't do that I am sure - not even sure if wrestling would get that many in the stands. Nebbie fans show up, that is for sure!!!
Gotta have something to cheer about.

They play VB in the old basketball arena, the Devaney Center, which was remodeled specifically for VB. There are about 8,000 at each home match

Watched off and on. Emma Lowes was setting great, and then she stopped setting. Why? Meghan wasn't setting very well.

ADVERTISEMENT