ADVERTISEMENT

2019 PG offer

I have no illusions..these are not blue chippers. Some will work out. They have more potential then a lot of the guys Fran has offered in past because they at least have athleticism. The day Fran offered Ellingson, I said wtf. Same with Flemming. The bottom line is Fran needs to distinguish himself with player evaluation skills because he's not been able to sign the 4-5 star guard talent. Recent years, Fran's guard recruiting has been spotty...hence the 4-14 B1G bottom feeder record.

Fleming was seen as a fairly athletic big SG from a top prep program. CW was a PG with a freak size and wingspan. Hutton was a lockdown defender with athletic ability that just needed to develop a shot.

Fleming was seen as a fairly athletic big SG from a top prep program. CW was a PG with a freak size and wingspan. Hutton was a lockdown defender with athletic ability that just needed to develop a shot.
Fleming went to a top program, where he learned to stand around and watch their star make plays. He had decent size, but wasn't very quick. HS also played almost zero defense, so he needed to unlearn all of the bad habits he picked up. CW was a swing player with a huge wingspan and good athleticism. Fran hoped could develop the ball skills to play some at PG. His outside shooting was even less developed. He was an above-average defender. Hutton did have the rep of being a tough defender with limited offensive skills. I think they all saw the writing on the wall when they played against Moss in practice, especially Fleming and Hutton, but he hasn't been able to consistently show that in games.

Reactions: perryhawk
I have no illusions..these are not blue chippers. Some will work out. They have more potential then a lot of the guys Fran has offered in past because they at least have athleticism. The day Fran offered Ellingson, I said wtf. Same with Flemming. The bottom line is Fran needs to distinguish himself with player evaluation skills because he's not been able to sign the 4-5 star guard talent. Recent years, Fran's guard recruiting has been spotty...hence the 4-14 B1G bottom feeder record.
Wasn't Connor a 4-star?

A "PG" in 2019 and another in 2020 would not be a bad idea. Fran has the luxury of having two extra scholarships while his sons are on the team, if he wanted to use them.
What makes you think the B1G rule on 4 year scholarships doesn't apply, now that Connor is on scholarship? I really don't think using his scholarship is an option anymore. The same with Patrick. Once he's a scholarship player I think he'll stay one, whether Fran wants to borrow one or not.

I don't think Fran gives up very easily. He seems to be working pretty hard, pretty much all the time. I have no problems with his recruiting or his effort in recruiting.
I just read a story from Tom K about Fran's recruiting "toughness" in players. Sapp's name came up a few times. He was tough and bought into defense and I'd sure like to see Fran recruit someone that tough on defense.

Wasn't Connor a 4-star?

He was, but not concensus. If I remember correctly, Rivals had him highest as a 4* in the 50+ range, and one of the other services had him 4* and in the 80+ range. I believe his 247 score was in the 200+ range but his composite was just outside the top 150 and a 3*.

What makes you think the B1G rule on 4 year scholarships doesn't apply, now that Connor is on scholarship? I really don't think using his scholarship is an option anymore. The same with Patrick. Once he's a scholarship player I think he'll stay one, whether Fran wants to borrow one or not.
I wasn't aware of the rule, which means that Fran needs to be more selective. I still think PGs in both 2019 and 2020 would be a good idea. I like the idea of having 3 guys on roster, who can play PG. Preferably, at least one can also swing to the other guard position.

Didn't Greg McDermont voluntarily go off scholarship his senior year when Gibbs was granted a sixth year and Creighton needed one more ride?

Didn't Greg McDermont voluntarily go off scholarship his senior year when Gibbs was granted a sixth year and Creighton needed one more ride?
What Legend said. When McDermott signed there were no 4 year scholarships. It's relatively new to the B1G (2014), and I don't even know if the Big East has gone away from the year to year tenders.

We can revisit this if Connor ever goes off scholarship which he can't/won't as long as he's at Iowa.

The 4 year rule would not apply for Connor as he was initially considered walk-on of sorts... A non-scholarship player, we'll say. Regardless, one can voluntarily go off of scholarship...

So Fran has the scholarship(s) if he so chooses to shell out some pocket change for his kids' school, and provide the team with an extra scholarship player or two... Which I would absolutely do if I were in that situation. Rarely do coaches get the opportunity to stack a team.

Trust me, if iowa had gone 14-4 last year frans boys would magically be way better players.

Patrick might end up being really good.

I saw Connor play in the HS State Championship game and he was a total wallflower. Hesitant to do much of anything. Really great high school players, even in Iowa, look like one in those types of games. Now, maybe he can help Iowa without being a true difference maker, but my mind is made up and he's not the type of player that elevates a program.

I might also be totally wrong with my "evaluation" of Connor. I'd be happy to be wrong about it.

Patrick might end up being really good.

I saw Connor play in the HS State Championship game and he was a total wallflower. Hesitant to do much of anything. Really great high school players, even in Iowa, look like one in those types of games. Now, maybe he can help Iowa without being a true difference maker, but my mind is made up and he's not the type of player that elevates a program.

I might also be totally wrong with my "evaluation" of Connor. I'd be happy to be wrong about it.

Connor has always been one to play as well as he needs to depending on the matchup. ICW is typically stacked talent wise and Connor won two titles to prove it. There are also games where he took over, such as when he scored 28 as junior vs apple valley and Trent/Jones both of whom were 5* players.

You don’t think having a versatile, 4* player as your 6-7th scoring option elevates a program?

You don’t think having a versatile, 4* player as your 6-7th scoring option elevates a program?

I don't think he's a 4-star player. But again, that's just my opinion and I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong if he's a difference-maker. I've been around here for 16+ years and I won't disappear.

I don't think he's a 4-star player. But again, that's just my opinion and I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong if he's a difference-maker. I've been around here for 16+ years and I won't disappear.

I do not think Connor is a difference maker for the Hawks. However, he should be a missing piece to the puzzle... Unfortunately tho, there is at least one more missing piece. And that piece will not be had this coming season.

Next year? Perhaps. But it would be with a stroke of recruiting luck with one of our three PG offers. And/or a grad transfer..

Remember a few years back, before Pete’s senior year, when Iowa had incredible ball movement on offense (think Marble, White teams), I think we might see some of that come back with the ball in Connor’s hands more.

One other thing I should say - I have no feel for how well Connor plays defense. Perhaps that is where he could really help this team, because that's the biggest issue the Hawks have.
The combination of adding Connor and JoeW (a true 3) should help both ball movement and defense. The shortage of perimeter players really hurt on both ends of the court, and put a lot of pressure on JBo. If Dailey and Moss are improved, this team could surprise a lot of folks. Still wish we had found a PG, especially for the defensive end.

I wouldn’t say Connor is super quick laterally but he’s still a good defender. He’s a good athlete. Heck oglesby was slow laterally and he was decent on defense.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Strong leadership and plays from the point will help elevate the program. I would like to see a player with better size than 5'10" tho. Does Connor play 2 guard at his size?

Conner is a point forward in my opinion

Think Luke Walton when he played at Arizona

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT