ADVERTISEMENT

2019 PGs Andre Gordon & Noah Hutchins

hawk_it

HR All-State
Jul 22, 2004
Andre Gordon and Noah Hutchins are PGs that Iowa is looking at during July evaluation. Both look like really good players

Andre Gordon:

Noah Hutchins:

From these short clips, I would have to vote for Noah Hutchins. He reminds me of one of my favor Hawkeye PGs, Andre Woolridge, in the way that he can handle contact and still finish. He did seem to have a good defensive presence.

Any stats on these two? They need to be able to shoot the 3 ball too. Or at least it would certainly help.

I like Noah too and Andre is not bad. These are the type of guys we need to be going after instead of trying to swim in way too deep waters.

As far as I am concerned if you have schollys and like them both, take them both. Can you have too many decent PG creators and facilitators? Play them both at some point and go smaller as many discuss.

Closer to home Omaha South has 2 point guards that Iowa should be looking at.
Their coach has no love lost for Nebraska.
He stresses defense and if you don't play defense you don't play.
Both guards are excellent ball handlers and can take the ball to the basket.

What are their names?

I agree. We should have 2-3 of these types of players on the team at all times. And the only reason we should have less than 3, is because the writing was on the wall and they transfer out...

Right now, We have one & a half. I count Dailey as a half. The guy has skills, just not the PG experience. I don't count Connor. Sure he can pass. But he isn't going to be able to guard the quicker ones. I see could easily see him on the wing. Probably where he should be.

Fran messed up in the recruiting of guards. He knows that(or he darn well better). But I cannot blame him for taking Nunge. That guy is going to be good down the road. Very good.

Side Note: What do you all think about using Connor & Patrick's scholarships for bringing in some guards? Yes, I understand they deserve it, but papa has millions, and We are short about 2 guards right now. Two Quick guards that can drive & shoot. AND defend.

I like Noah too and Andre is not bad. These are the type of guys we need to be going after instead of trying to swim in way too deep waters.

As far as I am concerned if you have schollys and like them both, take them both. Can you have too many decent PG creators and facilitators? Play them both at some point and go smaller as many discuss.

He needs to land 2 point guards that can defend any offense He gets from them is a bonus. Hawks dont need any other position this class

Yes. Stop penetration and force opposing guards to give up the ball out front. Nunge, Baer, Wieskamp and Connor's length will then become an asset. They should see a huge increase in steals and get the ball out to run. Their length is only an asset if the guards get stopped out front otherwise their lack of lateral quicks will continue hurt the team as they aren't built to react to help defense to the interior. One good quick defensive guard will really help this team. Two could put the hawks in the top tier of the BIG.

I like both tapes. The linked Gordon tape shows a lot more than you could see on the tape linked to the Plan B thread. I like Gordon's toughness and vision a lot. Uses both hands well and defends, although he is not ultra quick. Hutchins is quicker and more athletic, which makes up for being smaller. He also plays with an attitude. I didn't get a good read on either guy's shooting, but that is not as important for what we need as toughness, ability to defend, and ball handling. Either guy would be a good addition IMO.

I agree. We should have 2-3 of these types of players on the team at all times. And the only reason we should have less than 3, is because the writing was on the wall and they transfer out...

Right now, We have one & a half. I count Dailey as a half. The guy has skills, just not the PG experience. I don't count Connor. Sure he can pass. But he isn't going to be able to guard the quicker ones. I see could easily see him on the wing. Probably where he should be.

Dailey is no better equipped to defend quick guards than Connor is. I’m not sure why some Iowa fans are under the impression that Dailey is a good athlete- he’s not. Still can be a good player for us with his length, versatility, and shooting ability.

Just need a serviceable PG, there are weapons around the PG position. Just need a guy who can handle the ball and attack the lane. If they can do that, they will be a HUGE upgrade than what we have.

Reactions: Hammer93
It really is a head-scratcher to me how Fran can't locate a freaking true PG. Turn on the TV during basketball season and you see plenty of PGs who could be starting at Iowa ... I don't get it ... I really don't ... How he can't lure a PG to come in and lead a Big 10 team and be on TV and play in front of 13,000+ fans ... I don't get it ... I used to take the PG position for granted in the past because we always had solid PGs ... Lester, Armstrong, Woolridge, etc. Now, landing a true and talented PG has become like finding a 7-leaf clover.

Dailey is no better equipped to defend quick guards than Connor is. I’m not sure why some Iowa fans are under the impression that Dailey is a good athlete- he’s not. Still can be a good player for us with his length, versatility, and shooting ability.

I am sorry, but it is not even close. Dailey is quicker than Connor. Not to mention that he is longer. If everything else were even, which it is not, that alone would make him a better defender...

He is our best defender outside of the post. He has the skills and athleticism to make improvements. Let us hope that he does. Along with everyone else on the team!

I am sorry, but it is not even close. Dailey is quicker than Connor. Not to mention that he is longer. If everything else were even, which it is not, that alone would make him a better defender...

He is our best defender outside of the post. He has the skills and athleticism to make improvements. Let us hope that he does. Along with everyone else on the team!

I’m not seeing it, sorry. I was not impressed with Dailey defensively last year, and I don’t think he would do any better defending quicker PGs than Connor would.

I’m with you on hoping for improvements though.

Reactions: WadeWilson
I’m not seeing it, sorry. I was not impressed with Dailey defensively last year, and I don’t think he would do any better defending quicker PGs than Connor would.

From the small sample that I saw of CMc, he is much closer to being a PG than Dailey. Dailey is quicker and longer, but I agree that I still haven't seen the player that several posters love. He improved a lot last year, and if he continues to improve, he can be a pretty good 2/3.

Yeah this is where I'm at. Maishe improved a lot last year but he was very poor defensively as was everybody else. We haven't seen enough of Connor yet. He knows Fran's system and he is not a good, but a great passer.

Reactions: WadeWilson
Yeah this is where I'm at. Maishe improved a lot last year but he was very poor defensively as was everybody else. We haven't seen enough of Connor yet. He knows Fran's system and he is not a good, but a great passer.
That's great but who is going to get the ball upcourt , break the press against good defensive quicker guards who are sure to pressure off the inbounds? I want to see His ability to beat the pressure to make these great passes.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Really was impressed with the way Noah got to the rim. Could find myself being pretty excited if he committed to the Hawks.

I would be happy with either one of these young men. Both very tough minded with lots of up side. I believe Gordon is now focusing on basketball only in his senior year. Had been football and Basketball.

Reactions: perryhawk
Both of these PGs show good athleticism. Hutchins appears to be more skilled in terms of ball handling.....based on limited video.

I wonder why Hutchins isn't more highly rated?

I think Gordon is a really interesting prospect as well. He appears to be a bit rangier in his build and again, not as skilled as Hutchins BUT he apparently has just recently decided to concentrate solely on basketball v playing both Bball and football.

Both of these guys would appear (to the average fan=me) to have the lateral quickness to be able to play defense at the B10 level. I was very much bummed by being eliminated in the Carton sweepstakes but I have to say Hutchins in particular gets me fired up again about PG prospects. I also think the Gordon kid "could" be a diamond in the ruff.

We will have to see what the coaches think and then if they offer, where things stand.

Again, just gut feeling, but I am guessing the Hutchins kid blows up as a recruit after the July evaluation period.

Last edited:
It really is a head-scratcher to me how Fran can't locate a freaking true PG. Turn on the TV during basketball season and you see plenty of PGs who could be starting at Iowa ... I don't get it ... I really don't ... How he can't lure a PG to come in and lead a Big 10 team and be on TV and play in front of 13,000+ fans ... I don't get it ... I used to take the PG position for granted in the past because we always had solid PGs ... Lester, Armstrong, Woolridge, etc. Now, landing a true and talented PG has become like finding a 7-leaf clover.

Its pretty simple really...initials are CM and its not that difficult to understand. Do you think top PG's are chomping at the bit to come to a school where the coaches son plays the same position with four years of eligibility left? Its not an easy sell. This has and will negatively impact our ability to recruit point guards until we start recruiting the high school class of players that will arrive on campus the year after Connor graduates.

As for Fran's point guards since becoming the Iowa coach, I liked the addition of Cartwright, he was a real late addition and I liked what he brought to the table. Fran hamstrung himself by bringing in two point guards in the same class in 2011, which effectively ended his ability to recruit PG's for nearly four years, with exception to Dickerson which seemed odd to begin with given his inability to stay at one school for longer than a year in high school and junior college. Then with CM committing to the Hawks early, its not like other PG's were breaking down the door to compete for playing time with the coaches son. That is the double edged sword of coaches kids being on the roster.

Its pretty simple really...initials are CM and its not that difficult to understand. Do you think top PG's are chomping at the bit to come to a school where the coaches son plays the same position with four years of eligibility left? Its not an easy sell. This has and will negatively impact our ability to recruit point guards until we start recruiting the high school class of players that will arrive on campus the year after Connor graduates.

As for Fran's point guards since becoming the Iowa coach, I liked the addition of Cartwright, he was a real late addition and I liked what he brought to the table. Fran hamstrung himself by bringing in two point guards in the same class in 2011, which effectively ended his ability to recruit PG's for nearly four years, with exception to Dickerson which seemed odd to begin with given his inability to stay at one school for longer than a year in high school and junior college. Then with CM committing to the Hawks early, its not like other PG's were breaking down the door to compete for playing time with the coaches son. That is the double edged sword of coaches kids being on the roster.

You may be right....and this may affect some percentage of players at this position but, don't you think the ability to sell playing time as playing two PGs at once could still hook some players?

What if Connor play's a backup role to JB, showing that the coach won't just play his son based on favoritism?

I agree with you that having the coaches kid at your position will affect some recruits.....just not sure that it eliminates any possibility of getting another PG.

Fran got Bryce Cartwright here right away...then we haven't seen anyone at even that level as a point guard since. Gesell, Clemmons, JBO are/were good guards with valuable skills who can play point, but they would be/would have been so much better if they didn't have to carry all the point guard weight.

As I have said, I like both Gordon and Hutchins' tapes, but I am apparently in the minority about which of the two I liked better. Hutchins is quicker and flashier, but I really like the physical way that Gordon plays. He seems really strong and aware on the court, and while he might not be extremely quick, he has good athleticism and knows how to use his body, which seems really strong for a HS kid. There is a pretty good chance that Gordon will continue to refine his skills, now that he is focusing on BB.

Reactions: Hawki45
Its pretty simple really...initials are CM and its not that difficult to understand. Do you think top PG's are chomping at the bit to come to a school where the coaches son plays the same position with four years of eligibility left?
I appreciate your perspective. I'm referring to Fran's overall body of work in 8 years when it comes to recruiting a true, quality Big 10-caliber PG at Iowa.

I think we have a chance to bring in a really good pt in the 2022 class. Fran should be out looking at really good 8th graders. I hope I am wrong.

I think we have a chance to bring in a really good pt in the 2022 class. Fran should be out looking at really good 8th graders. I hope I am wrong.
Iowa better either have or have brought in a really good PG by 2022. Fran doesn’t have that long

Reactions: amahawk
As I have said, I like both Gordon and Hutchins' tapes, but I am apparently in the minority about which of the two I liked better. Hutchins is quicker and flashier, but I really like the physical way that Gordon plays. He seems really strong and aware on the court, and while he might not be extremely quick, he has good athleticism and knows how to use his body, which seems really strong for a HS kid. There is a pretty good chance that Gordon will continue to refine his skills, now that he is focusing on BB.

I’m with you, Houston! Gordon should be the priority if they are taking a PG. Iowa needs a guard that will stop dribble penetration into the lane and he can do it. Hutchins is an interesting prospect, but personally I don’t think he’s the guard that Iowa needs right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT