ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Strategy and HawkeyeReport Insight Suggest Hockenson Leaving.

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
By no means is it etched in stone, but signs may point to TJ Hockensons plans regarding an NFL decision in the near future. Suddenly we are looking at taking 3 tight ends in the 2019 class. Thats quite a bit for one class unless 2 all time studs are leaving the same year! Kakert and Randazzo of the podcast on this website are getting the NFL vibe from the whole situation and unfortunately its sounds more and more plausible now.

By no means is it etched in stone, but signs may point to TJ Hockensons plans regarding an NFL decision in the near future. Suddenly we are looking at taking 3 tight ends in the 2019 class. Thats quite a bit for one class unless 2 all time studs are leaving the same year! Kakert and Randazzo of the podcast on this website are getting the NFL vibe from the whole situation and unfortunately its sounds more and more plausible now.

It's all still just a guess. Comes down to how much he likes being a college player and whether he wants to do that for another year or start getting paid to play football.

Either way, Iowa taking 2-3 TE in this class is wise whether or not Hockenson goes. The hope would be that by 2020 1-2 of the new guys are ready to really contribute.

I was going over several mock drafts, just to see which teams were projected by the experts to have a real need at TE. I only came across 3 or 4 mentions and that was sometimes listed with another position, such as, “they need either an edge rusher or a TE.”

There are 5 really good TEs, including our two, Sternberger from A&M, and one from Stanford and one from Alabama. I want what is best for TJ, but I just don’t have a good feel that 5 TEs will come off the board in the first 2 rounds. If TJ is listed as 5th, he might have to wait longer than round 2.

We will be in good shape next year with Cook, Beyer and Weiting, and it is hard to imagine TJ’s stock being higher than right now as the reigning Mackey award winner, so making the jump now makes the most sense, unless the advisory boards sees something (which is really doubtful).

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I don't think Hockenson knows for sure what he's doing yet, so probably smart for the staff to cover their bases from a recruiting standpoint...

Regardless of whether Hock leaves after this season or next, the fact is we lose him, Wieting, and Cook after '19. There is no more depth, with only Beyer really left for '20 (previously Hock would have been counted on for '20, before his explosion this year). Need to refill the TE pipeline because after Beyer it's only walk-ons.

BTW... Fant no longer on the roster on Hawkeye Sports site. They don't screw around...

Last edited:
Been saying since mid season that it would not be a surprise it TJ turns pro.. I don’t think he’d ever find his way into the “Dog House” and girl friends are nice & I’m sure she’ll still love him after he pays off every debt she’s ever had when he goes pro and leaves Iowa City...

Wasn't there a comment that TJ is, in fact, 4 months older than Noah. Hoping Shaun Beyer( JR) and Drew Cook (SR) will be ready next year. Would be something if Iowa could have 4 TE in the NFL in 3 years.
He probably is. He and Noah came to Iowa the same year.

Looked at a recent video interview with Hock on HN and at first he sort of sounds like hes leaning toward the NFL then at the end talks about loving the University and having no issue using up his eligibility here. I can't imagine him playing his senior year if he stayed next year. He has really come into his own this season and his career trajectory has spiked. At first I thought he wouldn't and probably should not leave, but now I think he might and should head for The League.

One has to think the success of Kittle in S.F. and the fact that hock's game is very similiar is really going to help come draft time. While its possible that only a few teams "need" a TE, doesnt mean they aren't on the lookout for a better one.

If you look at the NFL landscape, the TE position is about 4 good TEs and the rest blech. There are literally 28 teams tat need to upgrade that position. There are 4 or 5 college TEs that have the potential to upgrade an NFL teams TE position, Fant being the best of the bunch, Hock being top 4, along with Smith and Stonebarger.

I can see many NFL teams drafting a TE in the first 2 rds if they think they are getting a Kelce, Ertz, or Kittle. I don't include Gronk because Gronk is Gronk.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
If you look at the NFL landscape, the TE position is about 4 good TEs and the rest blech. There are literally 28 teams tat need to upgrade that position. There are 4 or 5 college TEs that have the potential to upgrade an NFL teams TE position, Fant being the best of the bunch, Hock being top 4, along with Smith and Stonebarger.

I can see many NFL teams drafting a TE in the first 2 rds if they think they are getting a Kelce, Ertz, or Kittle. I don't include Gronk because Gronk is Gronk.
Dumb and brittle?

I actually see Hockenson as the better TE of the 2 now and once he is in The League compared to Fant. Hockenson and Sternberger are probably 1 and 2 interchangeably.

Reactions: ctghawk
Dallas has been looking for a sure handed white dude to replace Witten. TJ would be a perfect fit. My Chargers are going to need someone to replace Gates after he breaks a hip. That would be a good fit too.

Dallas has been looking for a sure handed white dude to replace Witten. TJ would be a perfect fit. My Chargers are going to need someone to replace Gates after he breaks a hip. That would be a good fit too.
Pittsburgh has been looking for that guy to replace Heath Miller also, they have been talking about Fant already on their msg boards.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Pittsburgh has been looking for that guy to replace Heath Miller also, they have been talking about Fant already on their msg boards.

Pittsburgh will not take a TE in the first round. Tomlin/Gilbert will take a 2nd or 3rd round LB or DB that only they thought had first-round value. They have one dependable TE in James and a flashy but inconsistent one in McDonald. TE is the LAST position they need to address. So yes, maybe Fant will go there. Sigh

Reactions: the24fan

Your Chargers are looking good but what is their obsession with Gates. He was a great player in his time but he looks and moves like an OL now.

Dallas would be alright, I know the Colts could use the next Dallas Clark. New England will be replacing Gronk sooner than later.

One thing about returning to Iowa City would be if he did get hurt in his junior year, he would still have another year of eligibility to rework his way up the draft baord.

Our greed and selfishness prays he stays. Our reasonable sides know he should get out of here and start cashing checks.

Reactions: TKingpin
Pittsburgh will not take a TE in the first round. Tomlin/Gilbert will take a 2nd or 3rd round LB or DB that only they thought had first-round value. They have one dependable TE in James and a flashy but inconsistent one in McDonald. TE is the LAST position they need to address. So yes, maybe Fant will go there. Sigh

McDonald when healthy is a monster TE.
Steelers will be looking for defensive back help early in the draft . TE won’t be in the mix early on....

Reactions: grayhair81
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT