ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting

deanhawk88

All-Conference
Oct 25, 2016
Since this is the only sure year the next verbal is, who do you either want or think we might get? Technically, there's only 3 rides due w/ Connor holding the -1 ride until one opens.
Pat McCaffery I'm assuming is a lock. PG- Tyger Cambell 6-0 and CG-Zach Harvey 6-4 would be my wish! Hope to at least get Xavier Foster the following year to start replacing all the bigs. Rivals doesn't show Harvey with an offer but 247 has it shown extended on Oct 11th. Probably dreaming on Campbell/Harvey but damn if those 2 wouldn't turn Iowa into a top team! Is there anyone else to consider out there?

Since this is the only sure year the next verbal is, who do you either want or think we might get? Technically, there's only 3 rides due w/ Connor holding the -1 ride until one opens.
Pat McCaffery I'm assuming is a lock. PG- Tyger Cambell 6-0 and CG-Zach Harvey 6-4 would be my wish! Hope to at least get Xavier Foster the following year to start replacing all the bigs. Rivals doesn't show Harvey with an offer but 247 has it shown extended on Oct 11th. Probably dreaming on Campbell/Harvey but damn if those 2 wouldn't turn Iowa into a top team! Is there anyone else to consider out there?

I like your thinking and hope we have a shot at one or both Cambell and Harvey. But reality tells me that they will probably end up at MSU and KU respectively.

I really hope we can land Xavier Foster. Be nice to get an instate talent of his caliber. He's gonna be a good one, and many other teams are gonna come knocking.

Reactions: lovedwatchingLester
Finally have 2 more offers to 2019 guards, Ty Terry 5-11 from MN and Jeremiah Francis 6-3 from OH! I believe that's 4 offers out to guards now. DJ Carton is the only other guard I've seen of interest w/o an offer.

Francis will be a really tough get since he's born and bred Buckeye. But if we get any of those with offers, we should be happy.

Francis will be a really tough get since he's born and bred Buckeye. But if we get any of those with offers, we should be happy.
Only hope I see of getting Francis is if Matta retires.
Wondering if Tyrell Terry is some relation of Jason Terry, the long-time NBA journeyman combo guard? Tyrell looks like he has a chance to develop similarly.

Supposedly Fran and his dad are tight, so maybe that will open the door a crack if the Hawks continue to progress, and he see's himself to be the missing piece to a title run. I'm not sure that Matta's star is as bright as it used to be. OSU seems to be floundering a little right now.

Reactions: HawkinCarmel
Only hope I see of getting Francis is if Matta retires.
Wondering if Tyrell Terry is some relation of Jason Terry, the long-time NBA journeyman combo guard? Tyrell looks like he has a chance to develop similarly.

I'm almost certain that Tyrell is not at all related to Jason.

Curious what the 2019 offers to Terry and Jeremiah Francis mean to DJ Carton?

Carton was transitioning to PG from SG this year. Suspect Fran wants to be convinced by something in that regard. DJ probably still gets an offer though. I'm thinking we might take 2 PGs in 2019, or a PG and a combo.

Carton was transitioning to PG from SG this year. Suspect Fran wants to be convinced by something in that regard. DJ probably still gets an offer though. I'm thinking we might take 2 PGs in 2019, or a PG and a combo.

Not sure about an Iowa offer. This summer will be big for Carton & D1 offers.
I do believe that UNI will be the first from the state to offer.

Nothing ... unless one of them commits. I dont believe that Iowa has scratched Carton off their list as with Wisconsin.

Carton didnt hurt himself last weekend.

2017 NY2LA LONE STAR INVITATIONAL WEEKEND RECAP - 16U ASSOCIATION
APR 25, 2017
Evan Flood — Contributing Editor - NY2LASPORTS.COM

DJ Carton – 2019 – PG – Quad City Elite
Arguably the top performer over the weekend, Carton emerged as the headliner of the 16U Division. Picking up an offer from IUPUI, Carton impressed every coach who sat down and gave him a look. The 6-foot-1 point guard is unique in the sense that he does a little bit of everything. Carton scores the ball at a high rate from all three levels, he’s a facilitator and floor general. You’ll see Carton get on the offensive and defensive glass, play stout perimeter defense, and even chase down shots in transition. Carton is also much more athletic than expected and can play above the rim. He’s picked up interest from Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin this spring. A ton of mid-majors have started to inquire as well.

djcarton.jpg

Notice this is a Wisconsin recruiting vid. From the vid he looks like he he's certainly offer-worthy. I'd hate to lose another B1G player to WI.

this is a classic recruiting scenario which is when do you pull the trigger (and offer)? I know first hand that Wisconsin is a school that is interested yet they have not pulled the trigger as well. I do believe that Iowa's style of play is a really good fit for Carton .. more so than Wisconsin. I also know that Iowa made contact going back to last fall...how much that will impact a players decision..dont know but it certainly doesnt hurt.

Fran asked JBo for a little patience may be the case here...then again no one else has offered either. IMO if Carton (which I think he will) continue to impress it won't be long before offers start up. I dont think we lose him because we dont offer & another B1G does. We lose him because he decides to go somewhere else...which of course is the kids/parents decision.

I'd love to see Carton as a Hawkeye ..good kid, good student, team player, very coachable who will get even better.

this is a classic recruiting scenario which is when do you pull the trigger (and offer)? I know first hand that Wisconsin is a school that is interested yet they have not pulled the trigger as well. I do believe that Iowa's style of play is a really good fit for Carton .. more so than Wisconsin. I also know that Iowa made contact going back to last fall...how much that will impact a players decision..dont know but it certainly doesnt hurt.

Fran asked JBo for a little patience may be the case here...then again no one else has offered either. IMO if Carton (which I think he will) continue to impress it won't be long before offers start up. I dont think we lose him because we dont offer & another B1G does. We lose him because he decides to go somewhere else...which of course is the kids/parents decision.

I'd love to see Carton as a Hawkeye ..good kid, good student, team player, very coachable who will get even better.
I really like the Carton tape, which shows a variety of skills. If he is also a quality kid off the court, he seems like a very nice fit for Iowa. I haven't seen Iowa's 2019 PG alternatives, but this kid looks like he will play for a high D1 program to me.

I haven't seen Iowa's 2019 PG alternatives, but this kid looks like he will play for a high D1 program to me.
Tyger Campbell is the #24 overall recruit, grew up in Iowa until Jr High.
Francis is #66 overall recruit and Fran is longtime friend of his fathers.

If we can get 1 of those two, another point guard isn't going to be highest priority since Iowa needs to get the scholarships spread out better and stacking 2 pt guards hampers ability to get a big. Granted you can't turn down top 100 players.

Tyger Campbell is the #24 overall recruit, grew up in Iowa until Jr High.
Francis is #66 overall recruit and Fran is longtime friend of his fathers.

If we can get 1 of those two, another point guard isn't going to be highest priority since Iowa needs to get the scholarships spread out better and stacking 2 pt guards hampers ability to get a big. Granted you can't turn down top 100 players.
On the other hand, Tyger is reportedly an MSU lean and Francis himself has said on TOS that although he likes Iowa, tOSU is the favourite right now. Plus, it's hard to overlook good talent 60 miles down the road.

But I do think that with the PG talent in Iowa for 2019, and our need for off the dribble guys, 2 PGs in 2019 is certainly possible. We've done it before with Gesell/Clemmons in 2012.

Reactions: perryhawk
Taking 2 guards in 2019 is practically a must, we'd be lucky to get one guard we have offered now. There's a some wiggle room here to offer a little early. Really hope Carton blows up and picks the Hawks. 2019/2020 season could be even more special with one really good Fr guard to go with JBo, Moss and CMac, if Cook's still with us, look out, may be Iowa's best team in decades!

It makes one wonder...had a Moore or Simpson or any other socalled Point Guard that Iowa had offered verballed to Iowa 'before' JBo's offer...would JBo had still verballed once Iowa offered...therefore "2" socalled Points.. we dont know for sure.

In Carton's case...would he still verbal to Iowa...;'if' Iowa offers & receives a verbal prior from another player prior.

I do believe Carton could play along side another so-called point...it is a catch22 isnt it..

Reactions: CanadaHawk
It makes one wonder...had a Moore or Simpson or any other socalled Point Guard that Iowa had offered verballed to Iowa 'before' JBo's offer...would JBo had still verballed once Iowa offered...therefore "2" socalled Points.. we dont know for sure.

In Carton's case...would he still verbal to Iowa...;'if' Iowa offers & receives a verbal prior from another player prior.

I do believe Carton could play along side another so-called point...it is a catch22 isnt it..
Do think if we get 2 PGs, one of them almost certainly has got to be Iowan.

I really like the Carton tape, which shows a variety of skills. If he is also a quality kid off the court, he seems like a very nice fit for Iowa. I haven't seen Iowa's 2019 PG alternatives, but this kid looks like he will play for a high D1 program to me.

agree but of course all we get to see are the highlights.. it is going to help Carton to play alot of up & down ball...opposed to maybe a more control game which is HS. I believe his spring/summer ball will open things up for him.

Little off topic but see where Charlie Moore is transferring to Kansas and picked them over Illinois.

Connor would have to be a walk on for the next 2 seasons if nobody leaves early.

For the 2019 class (graduating in 2023), Fran has 3 spots open (or 2, if Fran puts Connor on scholarship).

A summary:

Graduating Class : Players

Future Graduating Classes:

2023: 1--6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

2022: 1--6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

Current Roster (13 currently on scholarship; 0 scholarships available):

2021: 2--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" F Jack Nunge (***)

2020: 6--6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****): 6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); 6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***); 6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); 6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; ; was reshirted in 2015-16); 6'6" G Maishe Dailey (***)

2019: 4--6'7" SF Ahmad Wagner (***); 6'4" SG Brady Ellingson (***; was redshirted in 2014-15 season); 6'6" combo guard Christian Williams (***); 6'7" SF Nick Baer (was a preferred walk on his 2014-15 red shirt year and for the 2015-16 season; put on scholarship in March 2016)

2018: 1--6'8" SF Dominique Uhl (***)

Notable Walk on players:

2021: 3--6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****); 6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017); 6'2" Guard Austiin Ash

The best news is we're looking at 2019 players while many programs are still looking at 2018 guys, and a few programs are still looking for players to hold a scrimmage in practice in 2017/18!

The next best news is 2019 has a lot of talent in the Iowa High School ranks.

No transfers as of yet, and growing more unlikely all the time as now it would surprise everybody if a guy leaves, this shows fantastic team unity.

But I don't believe we can count on avoiding a player leaving for two years in a row.

Nothing wrong with having two "PGs" playing on the court at the same time, assuming at least one of them can shoot and they both aren't under 6'. Having multiple players with passing and ball handling skills can be really beneficial on offense.
Agreed

Connor would have to be a walk on for the next 2 seasons if nobody leaves early.

For the 2019 class (graduating in 2023), Fran has 3 spots open (or 2, if Fran puts Connor on scholarship).

A summary:

Graduating Class : Players

Future Graduating Classes:

2023: 1--6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

2022: 1--6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

Current Roster (13 currently on scholarship; 0 scholarships available):

2021: 2--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" F Jack Nunge (***)

2020: 6--6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****): 6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); 6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***); 6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); 6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; ; was reshirted in 2015-16); 6'6" G Maishe Dailey (***)

2019: 4--6'7" SF Ahmad Wagner (***); 6'4" SG Brady Ellingson (***; was redshirted in 2014-15 season); 6'6" combo guard Christian Williams (***); 6'7" SF Nick Baer (was a preferred walk on his 2014-15 red shirt year and for the 2015-16 season; put on scholarship in March 2016)

2018: 1--6'8" SF Dominique Uhl (***)

Notable Walk on players:

2021: 3--6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****); 6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017); 6'2" Guard Austiin Ash

4 are graduating...Connor + 3 = 4 schollies. I'd also be very surprised with no attrition for 3 straight years.

Patrick will have a schollie so 4 minus Connor, minus Patrick = 2.
I see what he meant now. Still say going 3 consecutive years with no attrition, especially with @ 14 man roster, will be tough. Pat, 2 guards and a post. No way Fran takes just one guard and he clearly is recruiting a post for a 4 man class, however it works out.

ADVERTISEMENT