Donirae Mayhew (So)
Miranda Schulte (Fr)

Catchers
Taylor Libby (Jr)
Devin Cantu (Jr)
Kate Claypool (Fr)
Abby Lien (Fr)

Last edited:
DRay Wont pitch much for Iowa if at all, but is a hellava firstbase and hits well. Abby Lien is solid and will play some, The team will be better then last year simply by the additions of a few more quality players in the mix with the current ones! Pitching will be strong enough to win and Heres to hoping the coaching will be much improved (I believe it will) Looking forward to this next seasons version of the Hawkeyes!

Reactions: beahawk
There's a message to Thompson on the SB Facebook page saying to "get well through your recovery", so sounds like she's still having health issues.

Lauren tweeted about recovering from an injury and wanting to get back onto the mound again. Guessing she may be out this fall.

I was just looking at the roster on Hawkeyesports and there is a new player listed. Josie Shudak from CB Lewis Central. Her brother is a kicker on the football team.

McKenzie and Brooke were not listed on the roster. Hoping it is just a glitch on the website.

Brooke is listed as a Student Assistant with the coaches, sounds like career-ending injury issues? I'd think if she was just taking an injury redshirt (I know she's already had one) they'd leave her with the players. Very disappointing about Schnieder, had some pop in her bat that would have come in handy. I figured she was a lock to start.

Guessing Shudak is a walk-on following fall tryouts.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
Josie looks like a nice hitter, but it's another infielder. If Schneider is gone, now we REALLY need outfielders! Looks like a couple players are going to have to learn the position.

Last edited:
Brooke had to medically retire. Her career never panned out the way she or I had hoped but it is what it is. Very impressed by Coach Gillespie and wish her and the program nothing but the best.

Reactions: Drmac22
Brooke had to medically retire. Her career never panned out the way she or I had hoped but it is what it is. Very impressed by Coach Gillespie and wish her and the program nothing but the best.

Really sorry she had to go through this but glad she is still part of the team and University. Thanks for your posts over time.

Man Cranker, really sorry to hear about Brookes injury and retiring from ball. She a Baller and would have helped this team. Glad she is still involved and maybe her future could still be in softball just coaching it.. My Daughter tweeked her groin in first practice this fall and I am worried that it will nag her all season.. At least its in the fall and she will have some time to recover before the season. Hope you Stay on these softball threads you always have good insight and input!

I know Avery Guy well, her Mom and of course her Dad are Iowa Alumni, Her Dad Is Willie Guy, She is a very solid player all the way around and would help the team both on offense and defense. I think She will become a Hawk but who knows for sure, her parents totally leave it up to her. Her Younger Brothers are great athlete too and Willie Jr might be a Basketball recruit in the future. I would love to see Avery as a Hawkeye!

Drmac22, Would Avery be able to transfer in at semester and join the team in 2019 or would she need to wait and finish at DMACC?

Reactions: DMHawkfan
Drmac22, Would Avery be able to transfer in at semester and join the team in 2019 or would she need to wait and finish at DMACC?
I’m sure she is planning on finishing this year with DMACC, she is a sophomore and it would be her last year anyway. She like it’s there from what I’m hearing so maybe transfer in the fall next year.

Due to construction, traffic and parking issues I missed the first two innings of the Kirkwood game, and it was 9-0 when I got there and I thought "Wow!". Then Kirkwood outscored us 6-1 the rest of the way. Fall SB is for getting new kids adjusted and experimentation of course, and there were a lot of fresh faces out there. But to me we looked a lot like we've been over the last few years - shaky at times defensively, not many hard-hit balls offensively. On the upside (for me), not much slapping. Pitching wasn't bad, except for Riding, who couldn't find the plate and then had to throw steak balls, which got hit. Freshman Sarah Lehman relieved her and looked OK. Doocy threw 2 innings, left and then re-entered in the 8th (they played 10 innings).

Jersey numbers didn't always match the website roster. A #44 played shortstop, who I think is actually freshman Cameron Cecil (listed as #1 on the roster). There was a #2 who played LF and CF, but it didn't look like Brogar. #55 played RF and pitched; she was announced as freshman Miranda Schulte who is on the roster as #20. There was a collision between our RF and 2B who I think were both freshmen, both left the game. One of them I think was #10 which isn't on the roster. I couldn't tell who was catching, except I don't think it was Libby and definitely wasn't Cantu. Thompson and Shaw were in the dugout, in street clothes.

We have joined the wristband crowd, so pitchers look to the dugout, then check the wristband before each pitch. I found it a bit distracting and annoying, but I realize most teams are doing this now, and I'm sure the team will get used to it eventually.

Stands were about 80% full, parking lot was packed, guessing due to being the evening before a home FB game. Thought I had heard the construction on Dubuque Street was finished, so I came in that way, big mistake. Sat outside Mayflower in traffic for about 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: megahawk
Bogar was in left field.

DeShields started at catcher.

Monteer was in center.

Kilian was at 1st.

Rath started in RF.

All the rest were new players.

Cecil, the freshman SS played well with 3 hits and a very nice play in the field.

Donirae looked like she was pressing. Maybe to do well against former teammates.

I know Lea was struggling with hamstring issues.

Was looking in the dugout for the pitch call signals.Coach Dillinger really flies through them.

So that #2 was Bogar; thought she looked too short, but I'm not used to seeing her out there. I thought Monteer looked good. I did see that DeShields moved to 3B later on and had a nice DP. Saw #9 at 3rd and thought it was Kurtz, then I remembered she graduated. Guessing they have new uni's coming for next spring, accounting for the mismatched jerseys.

Ten of 21 players on the roster in their first year on the field. Definitely going to need a program! :)
DeShields catching? She get a chance to throw someone out? It would be great to have her in the lineup and producing like she did her first year at Marshall.

Reactions: SLarew
DeShields did have a cannon throw to first from 3B to pick off an inattentive baserunner.

Dont forget game tonight vs DMACC at 5pm! Go Hawks! Well I know and have couple of the DMACC girls so cheering for them too.

The DMACC Twitter had a live feed of the game. I watched after the 4th inning. DMACC scored in the 5th, but Iowa went on to score 8 straight including a five run inning. The feed wasn't clear so it was hard to tell who was playing where, but I think Cecil was at SS and Bogar in left. Whoever was in center (Monteer I think) had a nice diving catch. We threw two runners out stealing.

Good news about the commitment from the DMACC 2B. Hopefully, Guy will commit as well.

Go Hawks

Reactions: beahawk
Mia Ruther great addition - first team All American as Fr - Burlington. Avery Guy -CR Jeff - All Region as Fr. Hopefully next week. Guy is SS and has athleticism to play many positions.

A number of top state of Iowa softball people ( and in Coach Blevins network) are working to help Iowa softball come back! It will happen sooner than many think. Iowa coaches are working this network hard and it paying off.

Reactions: LinusPF
Avery Guy - NJCAA All Region 11 SS verbally Committed to the University of Iowa today. She joins DMACC NJCAA All American 2b Mia Ruther as an Iowa Softball Commit. Avery was a multi year All State SS from Cedar Rapids Jeff.

Outscored 26-2 this weekend. Yes it's Fall Ball. Yes we have starters out.
Still - very not good.

The ISU game alone was 17-0. Granted it was on the road fairly early in the morning in cold, damp weather, but geez. Wonder if the team stayed o/n in Ames or bused back and forth? But yeah, coach Gillispie got a look at what Hawk SB has been for a while.

Edit: looks like Doocy only pitched one inning over the weekend. Hope that doesn't indicate a problem.

Last edited:
They also didn't play the best team in the state. Scoring differential would have been worse.

Hopefully, tonight's game will be played.

The Sunday DH with Illinois St has been canceled due to expected weather per SB's Twitter feed. Probably just as well, could have been a couple of ugly scores.

ADVERTISEMENT