ADVERTISEMENT

2020-22 is the Best 3 year Run Since 1987-89

It's been fun to watch us win games. It's too bad we haven't done better in the BIG tourney, except this last season or the NCAA's. Hopefully we can continue to get good guys and have them over achieve.

Reactions: longliveCS40
30 losses in 3 years, woohoo! Just tells you how much of a shit fungus this program has been if 30 losses is the best in 30 years.
Nowhere in the tweet was losses mentioned but of course everyone can count on you to bring that up. But if you want to play that game at least get it right. 95-98 also had 30 losses. I understand math can be hard when all you see are negatives.

Iowa basketball brings that “sunny” outlook, I just report the facts. And, the fact is 30 losses in 3 years is garbage.
What a weird statistic to get caught up on. College basketball plays roughly 30 games a year. 20-10 is consistently like a 5 or 6 seed at worst for Power 6 teams. Here's just a quick look at the past 3 years of some of the top teams in the country: Purdue 33 Ls, Michigan 32 Ls, Kentucky 30 Ls, North Carolina 40 Ls, UCLA 30 Ls just to name a few. Sure there are some exceptions--Kansas, Baylor, Duke, Villanova. But that number is probably around 10 total teams in P6.

Did the way 87 ended feel worse or better than how 20, 21 or 22 ended?

did the 87, 88 or 89 teams win any championships?

Come on now. Please don't try to compare the 1987 season to anything this program has done since then. That's a fool's errand.

The 1987 loss to UNLV was heartbreaking as any long time fan can tell you, but it is hardly anything to be ashamed of. That was a great tournament run and I have no regrets as a fan, other than not winning of course. Iowa lost by 3 points in the regional final to the #1 team in the country.

I'll take the 1987 Tournament again and again over anything we've seen since. No Iowa team has come close to sniffing that.

Iowa made the Elite 8 in 87 and Sweet 16 in 88. Obviously you don't want to lose, but those teams came to play in the tournament.

Well, the 2020 team never got a chance to play. And you are implying that the 2021 and 2022 teams didn't "come to play" in the tournament.

The reality? All 5 teams "came to play" and they ALL eventually lost and failed in their goal of winning a National Championship.

And some more reality? Fran's teams in the 2020-22 three year span won a championship. Tom Davis' team did not, but I am not going to say or imply that if they had only come to play in each B1G game they would have won a B1G championship.

Reactions: perryhawk
Come on now. Please don't try to compare the 1987 season to anything this program has done since then. That's a fool's errand.

The 1987 loss to UNLV was heartbreaking as any long time fan can tell you, but it is hardly anything to be ashamed of. That was a great tournament run and I have no regrets as a fan, other than not winning of course. Iowa lost by 3 points in the regional final to the #1 team in the country.

I'll take the 1987 Tournament again and again over anything we've seen since. No Iowa team has come close to sniffing that.

There's a big difference between 87-89 and 20-22:

* Tom Davis took George Raveling's recruits and had a good 3 year run.

* Fran took his own recruits and had a good 3 year run.

I just think Fran should get more credit than fans will ever give him.

And who said 1987 was a season to be ashamed? Sure, they won 3 NCAA Tournament games but the fact of the matter was that they needed to win 3 more games. And sure, Iowa lost by 3 (84-81) in the Regional Final, but they also blew a 16 point half time lead (58-42) and only scored 23 second half points, and those are the parts that Iowa fans will NEVER forget. Iowa led UNLV by as many as 19 (54-35) at one stage. Imagine if Hawkeye Report had been around back then.

30 losses in 3 years, woohoo! Just tells you how much of a shit fungus this program has been if 30 losses is the best in 30 years.
Poor Roy. Still haunted by childhood memories...

tumblr_oaikxeTeUV1tlb56zo1_400.gifv

Tournament title, which didn't exist in the 80's. Big difference between a tournament title and regular season.
Thanks for not answering my question.

The answer is NO. The best finish was 3rd place. Those were great teams. I am not taking anything away from them, but the current 3-year stretch is clearly the best 3-year stretch since then.

Did the way 87 ended feel worse or better than how 20, 21 or 22 ended?

did the 87, 88 or 89 teams win any championships?

87 was much worse. That close to the final 4 and a shot at a national title. That team may have had the most talent ever on a Iowa basketball team, I believe 7 on that team teased the NBA. They did not have a big ten tournament then, and I believe the big was a better conference th

The past 3 years have been fun, but those teams don’t compare to the 87 team and has not 20-22 has not even come close to a elite eight run.

Reactions: HawkGem10
What a weird statistic to get caught up on. College basketball plays roughly 30 games a year. 20-10 is consistently like a 5 or 6 seed at worst for Power 6 teams. Here's just a quick look at the past 3 years of some of the top teams in the country: Purdue 33 Ls, Michigan 32 Ls, Kentucky 30 Ls, North Carolina 40 Ls, UCLA 30 Ls just to name a few. Sure there are some exceptions--Kansas, Baylor, Duke, Villanova. But that number is probably around 10 total teams in P6.
Don't confuse Roy with any facts. He knows a "shit storm" when he sees it. The real question is why he follows a team that angers him so. Must be a bit of a masochist or maybe he's just a troll.

It really has been an enjoyable run. The perception of Iowa basketball is certainly at a level it hasn't seen in a long time. A few high points, 2 seed last year, rated #2 at one point, and semis of the conference tournament. This year vaulted into contention with a hot finish (#16 ranking) and conference tournament championship. All-Americans on the roster all three years. Just need to get over that pesky hump in the Dance. Hopefully the program's continued strength will snowball into better recruiting as well.

If Fran can just score 1 impact player between the new recruits and the portal, next season should be another upper division finish and chance to break the Sweet 16 streak.
Go Hawks

87 was much worse. That close to the final 4 and a shot at a national title. That team may have had the most talent ever on a Iowa basketball team, I believe 7 on that team teased the NBA. They did not have a big ten tournament then, and I believe the big was a better conference th

The past 3 years have been fun, but those teams don’t compare to the 87 team and has not 20-22 has not even come close to a elite eight run.

Yeah, 87 has been haunting Iowa fans for 35 years now.

My only point is that all 5 seasons (87-89, 21-22) ended with a disappointing loss. In 20, that team never got a chance to play in the postseason, of course.

I just wish people could appreciate the last 3 years. Instead, there are too many replies with "but, but, but...."

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
Yeah, 87 has been haunting Iowa fans for 35 years now.

My only point is that all 5 seasons (87-89, 21-22) ended with a disappointing loss. In 20, that team never got a chance to play in the postseason, of course.

I just wish people could appreciate the last 3 years. Instead, there are too many replies with "but, but, but...."
I appreciate the past 3 years. My college days at Iowa included lute Olsons last years. So yea, old farts like me think Iowa can do better and get frustrated with the fans who settle.

the BIG was a better conference then, I believe over a 10 year period, 75-85ish, the big sent 6 different teams to the final 4. It bothers me that the big landed 0 recruits off this years McDonald’s all American team. I digress.

I appreciate the past 3 years. My college days at Iowa included lute Olsons last years. So yea, old farts like me think Iowa can do better and get frustrated with the fans who settle.

the BIG was a better conference then, I believe over a 10 year period, 75-85ish, the big sent 6 different teams to the final 4. It bothers me that the big landed 0 recruits off this years McDonald’s all American team. I digress.
Fair comments. One question, do you believe Iowa fans support the program as well as they used to? Also, did the building of the new Carver assist Lute with recruiting?

Fair comments. One question, do you believe Iowa fans support the program as well as they used to? Also, did the building of the new Carver assist Lute with recruiting?

No, Iowa bball fans are apathetic, why? Many years of average results? No deep ncaa runs in 35 years? No big ten titles? Big tourney titles are great, but each of the 3 were followed by disappointing ncaa tourney losses. I had several people say they stopped watching the ncaa games this year after the Richmond loss. That builds apathy. IMHO people remember the ncaa tourney, the nation comes alive during this. My grandparents didn’t pay attention during the season but they completed ncaa brackets back then. The lack of success here has really hurt Iowa.

I think originally carver helped with recruiting, the old field house was hell for opposing teams to play in, but may have turned off some recruit’s. I think Iowa fans will come if the product is exciting and winning. And by winning I mean winning big, key games. See the football teams success, while some disappointments, also some exhilarating wins. Penn state, Michigan, LSU, usc, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: WadeLookingbill
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT