ADVERTISEMENT

2020 B10 West Favorite?

Favorite to win the B10 West in 2020

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because they lose a bunch on defense, still got stomped by Wisconsin at home, and lost to Iowa who also has a lot coming back. Honestly, I think the west is wide open next year.
Beat Purdue by 7 after Purdue lost rondale and sindelar in the 1st quarter and was also missing their best two defenders.

Gophers lose 2 starter on Offense - WR Johnson, big loss. RB Smith - Still got who I think is our best RB Ibrahim and some young highly rated RB's.
Gophers lose 6 starters on D, 7 if Winfield goes pro.

We're optimistic the new Dline starters will be better. Secondary is basically all back if WInfield stays. LB is our big worry. Breaking in some new Sophomore and Freshmen LB's who haven't played much.

There is the rumor Spielman might grad transfer home and replace Johnson. I doubt that happens though.

Gophers lose 2 starter on Offense - WR Johnson, big loss. RB Smith - Still got who I think is our best RB Ibrahim and some young highly rated RB's.
Gophers lose 6 starters on D, 7 if Winfield goes pro.

We're optimistic the new Dline starters will be better. Secondary is basically all back if WInfield stays. LB is our big worry. Breaking in some new Sophomore and Freshmen LB's who haven't played much.

There is the rumor Spielman might grad transfer home and replace Johnson. I doubt that happens though.
Is Minny actually going to hire ex Purdue DC Nick Holt as Dline coach?

Beat Purdue by 7 after Purdue lost rondale and sindelar in the 1st quarter and was also missing their best two defenders.

81 BoilerN, Yesterday at 4:58 PM

The 38-31 score was misleading. Minnesota was up 38-17 in the 4th quarter and things got fluky at the end. Purdue was not going to win that game, at least that seemed clear to anyone watching the game.

Sindelar was getting crushed and looked rusty and unsteady before he got knocked out. The backup QB, who played pretty well the rest of the year actually gave Purdue a better chance in that game.

There is no doubt R. Moore getting knocked out helped MN that day though.

Unless Frost does something shocking (will not happen) it is a three team race next year, with Wisconsin a slight favorite.

Reactions: RothMatt

81 BoilerN, Yesterday at 4:58 PM

The 38-31 score was misleading. Minnesota was up 38-17 in the 4th quarter and things got fluky at the end. Purdue was not going to win that game, at least that seemed clear to anyone watching the game.

Sindelar was getting crushed and looked rusty and unsteady before he got knocked out. The backup QB, who played pretty well the rest of the year actually gave Purdue a better chance in that game.

There is no doubt R. Moore getting knocked out helped MN that day though.

Unless Frost does something shocking (will not happen) it is a three team race next year, with Wisconsin a slight favorite.
Sindelar was 4-8 for 45 yards. Would call that rusty or shaky. Purdue was also missing their best DT and LB that game. Oh, and Purdue DC and coaxh was fueding all year. Purdue defense should be much better. Offense will be really freaking good.

We are notorious for saying Wisconsin is losing this guy and that guy and this will be our year. After watching the boat rowers against Auburn color me even more impressed. They not only stood toe to toe w/a very stout SEC defensive and offensive line I clearly think they got the better of them. They did not play gimmicky football, they got dirty in the trenches and won. Which is also what we did to USC. D line (Ok, Epenesa ! ) just took over. O line gave Stanley all kinds of time. Oregon holding Taylor to under 100 yards was huge. Our offense actually came up pretty big in the Wisconsin game. We were dominated by the Wisconsin O line. Over 300 yards rushing. I know they are losing Taylor but they aren't losing their 330 pound behemoths up front. We are going to have to find a way to be more physical than Wisconsin next year. Looking forward to 2 really good battles against Wiscy and Minnesota next year.

We are notorious for saying Wisconsin is losing this guy and that guy and this will be our year. After watching the boat rowers against Auburn color me even more impressed. They not only stood toe to toe w/a very stout SEC defensive and offensive line I clearly think they got the better of them. They did not play gimmicky football, they got dirty in the trenches and won. Which is also what we did to USC. D line (Ok, Epenesa ! ) just took over. O line gave Stanley all kinds of time. Oregon holding Taylor to under 100 yards was huge. Our offense actually came up pretty big in the Wisconsin game. We were dominated by the Wisconsin O line. Over 300 yards rushing. I know they are losing Taylor but they aren't losing their 330 pound behemoths up front. We are going to have to find a way to be more physical than Wisconsin next year. Looking forward to 2 really good battles against Wiscy and Minnesota next year.

Tbf, someone was saying that Minnesota loses like 8/11 of their defense, and they're also losing Johnson (insane WR). Who knows how they'll be next season.

Tbf, someone was saying that Minnesota loses like 8/11 of their defense, and they're also losing Johnson (insane WR). Who knows how they'll be next season.
I believe this is true. I might have been the one to say it. Lol Plus Winfield would be foolish to not go pro imo. Meaning 9 defenders. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I might be. Losing 10 guys is more than Purdue loses the next two years combined.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I'm going with Wisconsin until someone proves otherwise. It pains me to say Minnesota might by up there in the discussion too. Iowa is getting a new QB and appears to be losing a number of starters elsewhere to the NFL. And don't forget about Nebraska-- they still have their Heisman candidate QB, a good recruiting class (again), and the 2017 National Championship coach who by all accounts is bringing back the Husker way-- low life POS football players.

Reactions: RothMatt
It’s official, Jonathan Taylor is going into the draft. We’ll see what good back they have next.

Is that a joke? I could see them perhaps taking another step forward, but they finished 6-7 with two duds to end things. And from that to divisional favorite? Not a chance.

Yeah, that’s a ridiculous prediction. Lol. I think we’ll be a more consistent version of last year (no EMU loss or laid egg vs. NU but also no school record comeback win at MSU, etc.), so perhaps 6-7 wins. However, we’ll still have the capability of pulling off an upset ala Wisconsin again, too.

As long as Wisconsin is pumping PED’s into their water-weight inflated OL, they’re the favorite.

But hey, it gets them good RB’s, so why fix what isn’t broken?

Nebraska (biased) outlook/breakdown

Offense - room for optimism, they return everyone on offense in the 2 deep except 2 WRs (Noa who finished with 245 yards receiving and Mike Williams who had 109 yards). Recruited some high level talent at WR and RB where they had some issue last year, Id imagine they are better at every position group on offense next year. A lot of their potential depends on Martinez though. Was 2019 a sophomore slump? Can he jump back in a big way? Nebraska probably goes on offense as he goes.

Denfense loses a few guys on the DL in Davis twins, Daniels, then Mo Berry LB, and Lamar Jackson CB. Return everyone else. Redshirted the entire 2019 class of 28 players outside of Wandale (baller), Newsome (special teams mostly), and Nelson (played some special teams and a few games on defense). LBS and Secondary should be better, Defensive line? Brought in a lot of guys, Jucos/younger players that need to develop, so we shall see. Got some talent but not sure if they are ready to supplement likely starters yet. Nebraska defense probably depend on how this unit develops.

Overall, there is potential, but they need to put it all together before predicting them to win anything after 3 losing seasons. Optimistically, I can see them putting it all together and getting 9-10 wins. Pessimistically, maybe Martinez isn’t the guy, and they are in for a 6-7 win season.
returning everyone on offense from a 5-7 team doesn't sound that good. You might want to replace some. Optimistically I see 5 likely wins for ne.

I'm taking Nebby for the off-season championship AND spring game champs of the west. Love their consistency.
Once the season starts, I think it's between Iowa and Wisconsin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT