ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Baseball Schedule

Looks like Iowa will face North Carolina in Minneapolis as well. I wonder who the other ACC team will be? I know it’s not Virginia or Virginia Tech.

Definitely going to find out a lot about this years team in month one.

No Illinois, Indiana or Nebraska, so here's hoping those early season games wind up being quality opponents when all is said and done. It is a schedule that could lend itself to a very good conference record, high seed in the BTT and perhaps if things come together with the new faces, a regular season championship. But again, unless there ends up being a major shakeup with some unexpected dark horses, the RPI is really going to atrophy in by the time May rolls around.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Three of their final five Big 10 series are against teams that are generally fighting for championships in Maryland, Minnesota and Michigan. Beginning of conference schedule is pretty weak. Looking forward to being back at Banks field and see how the season progresses.

I absolutely love this schedule. Some solid midweek games and nonconference weekend. Not sure what will happen, but this sets up as a schedule where even if you're like 30-22 you could be an At large team.

They do have some solid depth. Heller "starting line up" changes every game. Last few years he has maybe 5 guys that start and moves people I'm assuming based on match up and who is hot. Other than maybe Whelan a couple years ago at lead off, I can't think of anyone that stayed at one spot in the line up consistently. You can look back and on the conference weekends one day a guy will be starting in center batting 5th and then on Saturday he is not in the lineup or playing left field.

So predicting a line up is virtually impossible. You can probably pick your 3 conference starters: Judkins, Dreyer, Bauman, maybe Davitt/maybe Wednesday again

C- Martin
1B- Adreon
2B- Sher
SS- Elion
3B- Fullard
LF- Norman
CF- Jenkins
RF- Wallace
DH- Padgett

There is 100% chance that is not all correct, with transfers, freshman, etc not in the equation yet. Padgett, Adreon and Fullard all are interchangeable virtually. Interesting to see where Fullard lands. He played 1B, 2B and 3B. Padgett was hurt the whole year. Adreon really came on the end but never consistently plays. Heller seems to really like Wallace and I'm not sure why. Maybe he is good in practice. Sher had a great freshman year. But we have seen sophomore slumps in the past. Elion and Sosa are seniors and was hoping they were going to take a bigger step up last year. They each had some clutch pinch hit AB's. Having Probst and Dreyer back will give them a lot more depth. You have McCaffery and McCleary that each have had some quality games. Hopefully the bullpen can come together this year. Last year they blew several games. Gorzelanny as the pitching coach didn't last. These seniors have had a new hitting or pitching coach every single year. I know philosophically things have stayed virtually the same but there has been a lot of turnover. I know some of it is a compliment to the program of getting quality coaches but from the player side it is a detriment. I think they should have a great year!!

They do have some solid depth. Heller "starting line up" changes every game. Last few years he has maybe 5 guys that start and moves people I'm assuming based on match up and who is hot. Other than maybe Whelan a couple years ago at lead off, I can't think of anyone that stayed at one spot in the line up consistently. You can look back and on the conference weekends one day a guy will be starting in center batting 5th and then on Saturday he is not in the lineup or playing left field.

So predicting a line up is virtually impossible. You can probably pick your 3 conference starters: Judkins, Dreyer, Bauman, maybe Davitt/maybe Wednesday again

C- Martin
1B- Adreon
2B- Sher
SS- Elion
3B- Fullard
LF- Norman
CF- Jenkins
RF- Wallace
DH- Padgett

There is 100% chance that is not all correct, with transfers, freshman, etc not in the equation yet. Padgett, Adreon and Fullard all are interchangeable virtually. Interesting to see where Fullard lands. He played 1B, 2B and 3B. Padgett was hurt the whole year. Adreon really came on the end but never consistently plays. Heller seems to really like Wallace and I'm not sure why. Maybe he is good in practice. Sher had a great freshman year. But we have seen sophomore slumps in the past. Elion and Sosa are seniors and was hoping they were going to take a bigger step up last year. They each had some clutch pinch hit AB's. Having Probst and Dreyer back will give them a lot more depth. You have McCaffery and McCleary that each have had some quality games. Hopefully the bullpen can come together this year. Last year they blew several games. Gorzelanny as the pitching coach didn't last. These seniors have had a new hitting or pitching coach every single year. I know philosophically things have stayed virtually the same but there has been a lot of turnover. I know some of it is a compliment to the program of getting quality coaches but from the player side it is a detriment. I think they should have a great year!!

I like Wallace as a midweek pitcher.

Agreed. I just think at some point he is either going to need to be a pitcher or position player. You lose playing time trying to do both (i.e. Judkins).

C- Martin
1B- Adreon
2B- Sher
SS- Elion
3B- Fullard
LF- Norman
CF- Jenkins
RF- Wallace
DH- Padgett

Good point, he does start a lot of different players. Elion had a nice summer in his summer league. Sosa did as well. Another guy who had a nice summer was Nedved, who I think could play a lot, I believe he's a SS? And I think Peyton Williams will get a good look at 1B, nice to have someone with that kind of power. I'm bummed that Nettleton isn't with the team this year, thought he had a lot of potential, but they signed a ton of pitchers. You guys think Marchese will try out again this year? Seems like he's not gonna see the field on the football team any time soon.

C- Martin
1B- Adreon
2B- Sher
SS- Elion
3B- Fullard
LF- Norman
CF- Jenkins
RF- Wallace
DH- Padgett

I think you make too much of the frequent changes in the volunteer assistant position. It's non-salaried position and will continue to be a revolving door. Gorzelanny was a temporary hire and Lund has really solidified things and provided continuity in bio-metrics. Yacinich is a former Heller player who buys into the entire program. I love the staff's makeup.

I think you'll see Sher begin the season at shortstop with either Elion or Sosa at third. Elion and Sosa lack the quickness to play the middle. I do think the JUCO transfer, Nedved, fits in someplace...perhaps the outfield. He's too athletic to keep off the field. Freshman Peyton Williams has too much power to keep on the bench and likely gets spot starts.

Judkins, Baumann, and Davitt likely make up the weekend rotation if Dreyer isn't a full go when the season begins in February. I think the bullpen has a ton more depth than last spring.

Should be a fun season with the schedule! I'll be in Minneapolis for sure.

I think you make too much of the frequent changes in the volunteer assistant position. It's non-salaried position and will continue to be a revolving door. Gorzelanny was a temporary hire and Lund has really solidified things and provided continuity in bio-metrics. Yacinich is a former Heller player who buys into the entire program. I love the staff's makeup.

I think you'll see Sher begin the season at shortstop with either Elion or Sosa at third. Elion and Sosa lack the quickness to play the middle. I do think the JUCO transfer, Nedved, fits in someplace...perhaps the outfield. He's too athletic to keep off the field. Freshman Peyton Williams has too much power to keep on the bench and likely gets spot starts.

Judkins, Baumann, and Davitt likely make up the weekend rotation if Dreyer isn't a full go when the season begins in February. I think the bullpen has a ton more depth than last spring.

Should be a fun season with the schedule! I'll be in Minneapolis for sure.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he says.

Reactions: 2bagger22
How Iowa's (102) opponents finished in the RIP
vs Kent State (141)
vs Saint Joseph's (223)
vs Pittsburgh (194)
at San Diego State (80)
vs Arizona (49)
at San Diego (94)
vs North Carolina State (18)
vs North Carolina (12)
vs Duke (44)
vs Grand View (NA)
vs Western Michigan (224)
vs Georgetown (244)
vs Army (150)
vs Georgetown (244)
vs Kansas (67) - 2
at Cal State-Northridge (201) - 3
at Missouri (31)
vs Saint Mary's (Calif.) (63) - 3
vs Milwaukee (145)
at Penn State (189) - 3
at Bradley (101)
vs Purdue (214)
vs South Dakota State (180)
at Rutgers (191) - 3
vs Northern Illinois (225)
vs Maryland (74) - 3
vs Bradley (101)
at Michigan State (163) - 3
vs Western Illinois (254)
vs Minnesota (63) - 3
at UIC (187)
vs Northwestern (121) - 3
at Michigan (39) - 3

Overall a pretty solid schedule. Lots of chances to get some quality wins and lots of potential RPI killers as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT