ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Iowa/2013 Indiana

fkfootball

Team MVP
Apr 28, 2014
I see a ton of similarities between both teams. Both teams stacked with shooters. Both teams with an All-American Center. But most notably, both teams with much maligned coaches, who were known to falter down the stretch and whose teams defensively tend to struggle.

2013 was the beginning of the end for Crean. He really choked down the stretch even though he won the Big Ten, and lost pretty early as a #1 seed in the BTT and NCAAT. His recruiting and momentum never seemed to recover.

The point I am making is, this is “make or break” for Mccaffrey. If Iowa wins a Big Ten Championship or Tourney Championship and then advances deep in the Tournament, then your program will continue to progress to relevancy. If he has the same results as Crean, it will just further the narratives about him and it will kill his Iowa career eventually.

I see a ton of similarities between both teams. Both teams stacked with shooters. Both teams with an All-American Center. But most notably, both teams with much maligned coaches, who were known to falter down the stretch and whose teams defensively tend to struggle.

2013 was the beginning of the end for Crean. He really choked down the stretch even though he won the Big Ten, and lost pretty early as a #1 seed in the BTT and NCAAT. His recruiting and momentum never seemed to recover.

The point I am making is, this is “make or break” for Mccaffrey. If Iowa wins a Big Ten Championship or Tourney Championship and then advances deep in the Tournament, then your program will continue to progress to relevancy. If he has the same results as Crean, it will just further the narratives about him and it will kill his Iowa career eventually.

there are some differences If Fran "falters" by delivering Iowa's first Big 10 title since 1979, his job will not be in jeopardy if they have an early exit in the BTT and NCAA tournament. If Fran manages to win a regular season Big 10 title, he can basically coach at Iowa for as long as he wants.

And very glad that we have your stamp of approval for relevancy, not. Iowa is not Indiana or MSU or OSU, the recruiting base from which Iowa has to draw from is not the same. Generally speaking at a place like Iowa, the upcoming seasons are when Iowa needs to take advantage of an experienced roster and compete for a title. There is the faction of every fan base that believes their team should be in the Sweet 16 at a minimum every year, and Iowa is no different. Fran has done a good job of making Iowa a consistent team of .500 or better in the conference.

The difference is Iowa is not Indiana. The expectations are a little different. I do agree, though, that a big season would likely boost recruiting. Fran has shown a knack for identifying talent early but frequently ends up a bridesmaid when bigger name schools come calling.

Oh, and Fran is nothing like Crean. Say what you want about his sideline temperament, Fran actually adheres to ethics.

I remember how pathetic Indiana looked against Syracuse's zone in the tourney. Couldn't believe how unprepared Crean had them.

This is not a "make or break" year for McCaffery. We barely missed the Sweet 16 two years ago, got completely hosed by there not being a tournament last season. While my expectations are higher than this, if there is a season and we make it to the Sweet 16 or better, he is set and he should be. The arrow is pointing up for sure.

Reactions: perryhawk
Make or break? Nonsense. Fran is going to be here a while.

If Iowa fans are convinced that Iowa is going to win the B1G regular season or tourney, they may be in for disappointment. I have little doubt that, barring injury, this team should be very good. But, B1G games are usually pretty close and the shots need to go in to win - because the Hawks aren't going to win any 55-52 games. Garza is going to show up - will the other guys knock down the shots at crunch time?

Make or break? Nonsense. Fran is going to be here a while.

If Iowa fans are convinced that Iowa is going to win the B1G regular season or tourney, they may be in for disappointment. I have little doubt that, barring injury, this team should be very good. But, B1G games are usually pretty close and the shots need to go in to win - because the Hawks aren't going to win any 55-52 games. Garza is going to show up - will the other guys knock down the shots at crunch time?

Iowa has guys that can score and can do well in close games. Question is defense and tendency to give up 90- 100pts in a game and letting the opponent run away with the game.

Iowa > your team

I don’t know if this year is make or break for Fran but I do agree he has a chance this year and in sense it’s time to show what he’s made of as a coach. He’s got the tools and a leader with a fire to win. Can Fran win the B1G? My body is ready.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Winning the Big Ten is never make or break at Iowa. We've had some really stacked teams in the past 40 years that haven't won the title. Adding 4 more teams to the conference since the early 90's, 3 of which are in the lower half of the conference, has made it harder for a middle of the pack team like Iowa to have a shot at a multi-team tie for the title like in '79 because of all of the unbalanced scheduling leading to fewer opportunities knocking off the big boys.

Add to that, here's the list of schools that have won a Big Ten regular season title since '79
MSU x 11
Indiana x 10
Purdue x 9
Ohio State x 7
Illinois x 6
Wisconsin x 5
Michigan x 4 (Made 5 Final Fours, vacated 2 of them)
Minnesota x 1 (1982)
Maryland x 1 (last season)

Excluding Maryland with their light history in conference, Minnesota is the only one that jumps out as not really belonging with the rest, and that season was almost 40 years ago. Goes to show how much we really screwed the pooch by letting Wisconsin take our place in the Big Ten hierarchy in the late 90's because they took what we had and went bigger.

Hopefully this coming season actually happens, and we have a really good year, and that leads to future successes for Fran. I doubt we get a national player of the year on the roster again in the next decade, so he needs to start recruiting better across the board for us to move to the challenging for titles every season level.

Reactions: Ronman
While not saying we win a national championship, I do expect 20-21 to be a special season and Fran will be our coach for as long as he wants. Not a "make or break" for Fran.

Make or break, no. But if this team can’t make it to the Sweet 16, then I think we’ve seen Fran’s ceiling as coach at Iowa

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Make or break, no. But if this team can’t make it to the Sweet 16, then I think we’ve seen Fran’s ceiling as coach at Iowa

This is my feeling too. It certainly is not “make or break” because ...well ... it’s Iowa. But if not this year, when?

Honestly, to set the bar at sweet sixteen when you’re ranked #5 and have the pre-season national player of the year pick on your roster is just sad.

42 years is a long, long, long, long time between conference titles. If not now, when?

Making the Sweet 16 is tough. Iowa will need to improve on D to make it past that. But I think making the Sweet 16 is a good expectation for this year. I expect Iowa to be a 3 seed or higher. That said, I have no idea what the season will look like.

Making the Sweet 16 is tough. Iowa will need to improve on D to make it past that. But I think making the Sweet 16 is a good expectation for this year. I expect Iowa to be a 3 seed or higher. That said, I have no idea what the season will look like.

With the murderers row of talent on the Hawkeye roster, right now, I'd definitely say that
Sweet 16 is the minimum expectation. This team has to stay healthy, though. If they do, the
Sky is the limit. It really is...……….cutting down the NCAA nets in 2021 would be kinda cool.

:cool:

I'm not sure other teams in the B1G view Iowa as a Murderer's Row of talent, outside of Luka.

Oh, I think the league coaches (and national coaches for that matter) understand that Iowa has some top level talent outside of Luka. But it's not even the talent and depth we have this year. What makes us particularly formidable is the returning experience. Experience might be thEE biggest factor when it comes to being a legitimate contender for a title in a league like the Big Ten. It can effectively counter a lot of opposing young talent.

This is the freaking year, boys! The cosmic tumblers are all ready to fall into place. I feel it in my bones.

Last edited:
I have really high expectations for this season, but NOPE. Maybe if the Hawks finished below .500, but that ain't happening.

ADVERTISEMENT