ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Olympic Wrestling Team

Case I H

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2018
I was curious as to what some predictions were for who will make the freestyle team for the 2020 Olympics. It appears trials are in April at Penn State.

Reactions: Inthecircle
Here are my picks. Lee has proven he can beat Fix. Yianni I think gets Zain. Hard to leave Nolf and Dake off, but I am. Gwiz beats Gable again.

57: Spencer Lee
65: Yianni Diakomihalis
74: Jordan Burroughs
86: David Taylor
97: Kyle Snyder
125: Nick Gwiazdowski

Here are my picks. Lee has proven he can beat Fix. Yianni I think gets Zain. Hard to leave Nolf and Dake off, but I am. Gwiz beats Gable again.

57: Spencer Lee
65: Yianni Diakomihalis
74: Jordan Burroughs
86: David Taylor
97: Kyle Snyder
125: Nick Gwiazdowski

Lee has proven he can beat Fix...when did that occur?

Not aware of any Fix vs Lee other than Fix winning two straight in HS, for Cadet WTTs (iirc, to be fair, Lee was undersized).

But I pretty much agree with your picks. Things are pretty f'd up when 2 world champs (Dake and Cox) are 'tweeners. Also, I'll be curious if Ringer tries to bulk up and take on Taylor for 86kg. They should really have more than 6 weight classes in Olympics.

57: Lee over Gilman (Don’t see Fix medaling this year at World’s)
65: Yianni over Zain (As we’ve seen, could go either way)
74: Dake over Burroughs (I think he is due)
86: Cox over Taylor (Either wins this weight)
97: Snyder over Bo (Because Snyder...)
125: Gable over Gwiz (Almost had him this year)

Last edited:
Reactions: JonesHawk125

Not aware of any Fix vs Lee other than Fix winning two straight in HS, for Cadet WTTs (iirc, to be fair, Lee was undersized).

But I pretty much agree with your picks. Things are pretty f'd up when 2 world champs (Dake and Cox) are 'tweeners. Also, I'll be curious if Ringer tries to bulk up and take on Taylor for 86kg. They should really have more than 6 weight classes in Olympics.
This was two years prior to fix besting lee

Spencer beat him 12-2 in 1:19 when they were at 50kg

57: Fix/Lee - Gotta lean Fix until I get to see where Lee is at on the current Freestyle circuit. Gotta think he will be ready and a top contender but I can't give him "the nod" until he competes in at least one senior level event coming up
65: Yianni - He will only get better and better. JO and Molinaro will likely see this cycle through and will challenge along with Zain. Yianni and JO (imo) are the only two medal threats with the way that they wrestle
74: Burroughs - cements his legacy. Obviously Dake will be big competition as well as iMar and a few others
86: Taylor - Don't think Cox cuts back down again but if he does I pick Cox over Taylor. I think Dieringer tries to go up but will still not be quite big enough.
97: Oof I just don't know. I will pick Cox over Snyder in a 3 match barn burner. Snyder for sure if Cox chooses to go to 86
125: Gable - already right there with Gwiz but mentally needs some more prep. I think another year gets him to that level but Gwiz is obviously no slouch

Non olympic weight picks: Healthy Nashon at 61, Green at 70, Dieringer at 79 and Nickal at 92

57: Fix/Lee - Gotta lean Fix until I get to see where Lee is at on the current Freestyle circuit. Gotta think he will be ready and a top contender but I can't give him "the nod" until he competes in at least one senior level event coming up
65: Yianni - He will only get better and better. JO and Molinaro will likely see this cycle through and will challenge along with Zain. Yianni and JO (imo) are the only two medal threats with the way that they wrestle
74: Burroughs - cements his legacy. Obviously Dake will be big competition as well as iMar and a few others
86: Taylor - Don't think Cox cuts back down again but if he does I pick Cox over Taylor. I think Dieringer tries to go up but will still not be quite big enough.
97: Oof I just don't know. I will pick Cox over Snyder in a 3 match barn burner. Snyder for sure if Cox chooses to go to 86
125: Gable - already right there with Gwiz but mentally needs some more prep. I think another year gets him to that level but Gwiz is obviously no slouch

Non olympic weight picks: Healthy Nashon at 61, Green at 70, Dieringer at 79 and Nickal at 92
I agree with all these picks.

Reactions: Scryed
It’s a “three man race” at 86 with Ringer, DT, and Cox...but if he can make 86 and still be 90+%, then Cox makes the team and wins gold. He’s just too good.

57: Lee
65: Yianni
74: Burroughs
86: Cox
97: Snyder
125: Gable

Reactions: Wink8
USA will dominate

D-pru_QWwAE0yqD.jpg

If a wrestler Medals in an Olympic weight at the upcoming World’s, does this grant a pass to the Olympic trials final?

If/when Lee goes all in on freestyle again for an extended period AND if he can be healthy, he'll be our 57kg rep. He just had the "it" factor. Only negative is with Fix being the current rep, any challengers will have to run the gauntlet to get to Fix in the trials correct?

If/when Lee goes all in on freestyle again for an extended period AND if he can be healthy, he'll be our 57kg rep. He just had the "it" factor. Only negative is with Fix being the current rep, any challengers will have to run the gauntlet to get to Fix in the trials correct?
If Fix medals next month, he's in the finals. Is that what you're asking?

I'm going:
57 Fix, I think he might medal at worlds which gives him quite the upper hand here.
65 Yianni, he'll be the guy for a while I see
74 Dake
86 Cox. This is insane with DT, Ringer, and Zahid... And Downey.
97 Snyder
125 Gable

1. Spencer Lee
2. Daton Fix

1. Yianni Diakomihalis
2. Zain Retherford

1. Kyle Dake
2. Jordan Burroughs

1. J'den Cox
2. Alex Dierenger

1. Kyle Snyder
2. Bo Nickal

1. Nick Gwiazdowski
2. Gable Steveson

Reactions: HawkMD
I don't believe there is any space between Fix and Gilman. And honestly Gilman should be the current rep at that weight. Everyone apparently thinks that Gilman is washed up. But I don't know how you could look at the matches between the two and say in any definitive manner that fix is better than Gilman. I hope that it ends up being Lee vs Gilman in the trial finals and not semifinals.

I don't believe there is any space between Fix and Gilman. And honestly Gilman should be the current rep at that weight. Everyone apparently thinks that Gilman is washed up. But I don't know how you could look at the matches between the two and say in any definitive manner that fix is better than Gilman. I hope that it ends up being Lee vs Gilman in the trial finals and not semifinals.
Fix beat Gilman 3 of the last 4 times they wrestled and Fix is considerably younger. Even if you say that they are an even matchup today, the upside is with Fix. Not going to completely rule out Gilman next year, but would be pretty surprised to see him beat Lee or Fix.

Fix beat Gilman 3 of the last 4 times they wrestled and Fix is considerably younger. Even if you say that they are an even matchup today, the upside is with Fix. Not going to completely rule out Gilman next year, but would be pretty surprised to see him beat Lee or Fix.

I think anyone not wearing black & Gold glasses see's this. Unfortunately there are a few in our fan base that are holding on to Gilman like PSU is holding on to Zain even when its obvious that Yianni and Fix are just younger and more talented.

If Fix medals next month, he's in the finals. Is that what you're asking?

I'm going:
57 Fix, I think he might medal at worlds which gives him quite the upper hand here.
65 Yianni, he'll be the guy for a while I see
74 Dake
86 Cox. This is insane with DT, Ringer, and Zahid... And Downey.
97 Snyder
125 Gable
Yes, I couldn't recall the criteria for which automatically puts Fix in the trials finals and would require his opponents to go thru a bracket to get to him.

Agreed. He is very, very far from washed up, possibly just entering his prime age. His international performances have proven repeatedly that he is a factor next year.

Reactions: WesternPA and MSeil
I think anyone not wearing black & Gold glasses see's this. Unfortunately there are a few in our fan base that are holding on to Gilman like PSU is holding on to Zain even when its obvious that Yianni and Fix are just younger and more talented.
Unfortunate, why? Guys like Gilman and Retherford have fans, so what? If those fans are "holding on" (whatever that means), so what?

Wrestling, like Darwinism, will take care of itself in due time.

Most of the matches these two have wrestled could have gone either way so I'm not sure how you could be surprised to see Gilman beat Fix in next years trials. No idea who wins but however it turns out will not "surprise" me! Yes Gilman will probably age out in the next couple of years but I don't think that time is now.

Reactions: MSeil and 24 so far
Gilman is far from done. He will have a say in all of this. Speaking of people having a say...arujau is going to be a problem if he stays down at 125. He looked pretty tough in winning junior gold. I know he gassed late in a lot of matches but if he gets that under control he will be a tough out. Go watch him and Rivera or was in glory at ncaa’s? Can’t remember but I thought Rivera. Case and point in the gassing, check out this match with fix. Arujau took Fix to the wood shed for about 2 minutes.

Reactions: Ihawkd9times
Gilman is far from done. He will have a say in all of this. Speaking of people having a say...arujau is going to be a problem if he stays down at 125. He looked pretty tough in winning junior gold. I know he gassed late in a lot of matches but if he gets that under control he will be a tough out. Go watch him and Rivera or was in glory at ncaa’s? Can’t remember but I thought Rivera. Case and point in the gassing, check out this match with fix. Arujau took Fix to the wood shed for about 2 minutes.

I just don't see it. He has to hurdle too many guys with the condensed weights for the Olympics. I'll submit this for discourse as to how I think the 2020 ladder will shake out:

1. Spencer LEE
2. Daton FIX
3. Nahshon GARRETT
4. Thomas GILMAN
5. Jack MUELLER
6. Nico MEGALUDIS (not sure if he's big enough for 65)
7. Vitali ARUJAU

I just don't see it. He has to hurdle too many guys with the condensed weights for the Olympics. I'll submit this for discourse as to how I think the 2020 ladder will shake out:

1. Spencer LEE
2. Daton FIX
3. Nahshon GARRETT
4. Thomas GILMAN
5. Jack MUELLER
7. Vitali ARUJAU
Hey, it’s just an opinion. These kids who win cadet and junior gold are usually pretty good At freestyle at the next level...see yianni, Lee (not yet), Fix. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Fix tossed around like that in a match recently. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Vito upset someone or multiple in that list of yours. I think he’s already a tough out but if he gets used to that cut and has cardio for an entire match...yikes.

Reactions: Crossface22.0

1. Spencer LEE
2. Daton FIX
3. Nahshon GARRETT
4. Thomas GILMAN
5. Jack MUELLER
7. Vitali ARUJAU

IIRC: Didn't two 9th-seeds end up winning spots last cycle -2016 [Molinaro & Cox]?? Ultimately - JC got bronze, FM was razor close [5th]?

Just sayin, it always seems there'll be a lock or two, and the other weights will come down to 1 of a few guys. But, you never know who's gonna step up & peak at the right time.

If you go back further than the last 4 matches isn't the fix/Gilman record actually 3-3? One of those matches was somewhat controversial that resulted in a fix w. He's still part of the convo, but I believe he will be a step below lee and fix come 2020

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT