ADVERTISEMENT

2020 PG Bowen Born - Should Iowa offer?

While it is true we might be able to sign a better guard than Born, I just think it might make sense to offer the kid. He likely will get a little bigger and a lot better but that kid can play ball. Probably would sit a year or two before he could play but I think he would help us. And he is hard to guard.

Don't short sell Brody's straight speed. Although tiny (less than 5'11" when I was standing near him, seemed like more than an inch shorter than me at 6' even) B2 was a good athlete, fast and quick with a good feel for the game. Its unfortunate that he was so poorly coached. Worley was poor athlete but the other freshmen in that class Jared, Sondy and B2 were truly victims of Alford's poor coaching and displayed much higher ceilings than they ultimately achieved.

This. BB was horribly misused by Alford. Kid would come in the game and hit a few shots, then get pulled as he was getting in rhythm. Loved him at Iowa, but kinda wished he would have went to a mid major, as he would have lit it up and been really entertaining. I never understood why Alford recruited a short shooter and was then hesitant to let him do his thing.

Reactions: onionman1
Offer and let’s see what happens. It’s one scholarship. Yes a grand whopping total of one ride for one of the best players in Iowa. If it does work the transfer portal is ready to serve. This does not limit the ability to recruit anyone else including more guards.

Offer and let’s see what happens. It’s one scholarship. Yes a grand whopping total of one ride for one of the best players in Iowa. If it does work the transfer portal is ready to serve. This does not limit the ability to recruit anyone else including more guards.
One thing for certain, is he'll have to work on his outside shot technique; he seems to push it. He's a very good FT shooter, and is effective as a 3 pt shooter in HS, but I think he'll have trouble at the next level with his current shooting style.

There's a lot to like about him though. Even though he scored over 27 ppg he looks like a good distributor and likes to drive the basket using his quickness. He's not just sitting on the perimeter. Pretty good on the ball defender, too.

The Brody Boyd comparison came to mind first, but I'm thinking there are similarities to Mike Gesell as well. No, I'm not saying Born is or would be as good. I'm just saying their styles are similar.

This. BB was horribly misused by Alford. Kid would come in the game and hit a few shots, then get pulled as he was getting in rhythm. Loved him at Iowa, but kinda wished he would have went to a mid major, as he would have lit it up and been really entertaining. I never understood why Alford recruited a short shooter and was then hesitant to let him do his thing.

Not to make too fine a point but I think the explanation lies in the fact that Alford is a shitty coach.

Last edited:
Here's a thought. Part of having a successful program at U of Iowa is locking down in state recruiting. Keeping kids in state and away from Ames. Sometimes through the years we have to use a scholly on an in state gamble, or a kid that might never start. But, some gambles pay off (Kent McCausland) and every team needs respectable reserves because not every kid is going to start.

Now that I've put a name on a face called a few other metro BBall fans. Apparently I've been under a rock because Born is pretty well known in the metro area. Apparently a metro area rumor has Born playing a lot of ball at Drake and is probably going to Drake.

Reactions: mstp1992
Per Tom, he just took an unofficial to Iowa and enjoyed it. Played pickup ball with some of the current Hawkeyes. He's 5-11", 160 lbs, unranked, with offers from UNI, Drake, Bowling Green, Indiana State, South Dakota and Toledo. Averaged 27.8 points and 3.8 assists for Norwalk last season, led the team to the 3A title game, where they lost to Oskaloosa. DMR has him as the second-best in-state player in the 2020 class (behind you-know-who).

Anybody know anything more about this kid, whether it's his playing style or personality? Should Iowa offer? Would you be happy if Iowa does offer and he commits?

I don't know much about him, so I can't tell if he's purely a mid-major prospect or an under-the-radar player who could break out as a senior. Any and all insights welcome.
Saw him play several times each of the past two seasons against some very good teams. There is no comparing him to JBo as Bowen's a much quicker player who can create his own shot whenever he wants including against Oskaloosa that had two D1 bigs. He's not the pure outside shooter that JBo is, but who is. But he can hit at a high enough percentage to keep the defense honest, then when they get too tight he attacks the rim or dishes to a shooter. He always seems to be calm and in control though even when double teamed as he was most of the time. I've been saying for a while I hope the Hawks don't screw up on this one, because we would probably land him if we are the first major to offer.
Pull the trigger. If he can play he can play

Reactions: onionman1
Yeah, AJ Green is legit. Any knock on him is unjustified.

QUOTE="squeezebox, post: 6624942, member: 92994"]Really? 15ppg, 3 rebounds, 2.3 assists and shooting 41% from the floor. I would say he is pretty damn good.[/QUOTE]

I think Bowen is a stud. Really like his game and he’s a very fluid athlete. However size is just a huge issue with him. Not only is he extremely short for division 1 basketball, he’s very slight of frame as well. But I think his skill and athleticism make up a lot for his lack of size. I’d like for Iowa to take a risk on him. and I’m sorry but I have to say it. JBo is good. STOP OVERRATTING him. He’s a clutch player and can shoot and handle the ball pretty well. Bowen is all those things and more athletic and wild. Iowa likes the generic 6’5 white guards and it’s been fine over the past 5-10 years but we need to try something else. And Bowen could be that something else to possibly push us into contention for a big 10 title. I feel like Iowa has been recruiting better with guys like wisekamp and garza. But we need a quick little floor general who can control the tempo

Last edited:
I think Bowen is a stud. Really like his game and he’s a very fluid athlete. However size is just a huge issue with him. Not only is he extremely short for division 1 basketball, he’s very slight of frame as well. But I think his skill and athleticism make up a lot for his lack of size. I’d like for Iowa to take a risk on him. and I’m sorry but I have to say it. JBo is good. STOP OVERRATTING him. He’s a clutch player and can shoot and handle the ball pretty well. Bowen is all those things and more athletic and wild. Iowa likes the generic 6’5 white guards and it’s been fine over the past 5-10 years but we need to try something else. And Bowen could be that something else to possibly push us into contention for a big 10 title. I feel like Iowa has been recruiting better with guys like wisekamp and garza. But we need a quick little floor general who can control the tempo
I’ve seen him play and he can absolutely dominate a game. Not just as a scorer, but he’s an excellent distributor too. Very heady with good confidence.

I’ve seen him play and he can absolutely dominate a game. Not just as a scorer, but he’s an excellent distributor too. Very heady with good confidence.
100% agree. I think he’d be a great addition to the team. I could see him being a microwave off the bench for Iowa like a Lou Williams type player. Comes in and gets buckets and distributes while the other teams starters are resting

Really impressed with Bowen’s junior year tape here. Surprising hops. His handle and ability to change speeds off the dribble to get to the rim as a lefty remind me a bit of Dean Oliver. 3pt% decent at 35% but wondering if he’s the only scorer on his team at 6’0” and that might have something to do with it. He could be a nice addition.

Really impressed with Bowen’s junior year tape here. Surprising hops. His handle and ability to change speeds off the dribble to get to the rim as a lefty remind me a bit of Dean Oliver. 3pt% decent at 35% but wondering if he’s the only scorer on his team at 6’0” and that might have something to do with it. He could be a nice addition.
Nice hops and after reading these comments I was expecting much less from that mixtape. Looks like a left handed JBo and pretty darn athletic, sign him up!

Nice hops and after reading these comments I was expecting much less from that mixtape. Looks like a left handed JBo and pretty darn athletic, sign him up!
Outside shot needs work. It's more of a set shot at this point. But, I don't think his future is as a scorer anyway. I think it'll be more as a distributor and floor leader, with the ability to shoot as needed. He's a good FT shooter, so he has that going for him.

Lots to like about the kid, and frankly underrated (in my opinion).

We have 4 scholarships open for 2020, probably at least one more with a transfer. I think he’s probably worth offering, knowing he probably won’t contribute much until at least his sophomore year.

If we don’t, hope Drake gets him

Well one thing's for certain, he's not afraid to launch a shot from just about anywhere. He's got a great shooter's touch, good handle, great balance when he drives into the paint and an uncanny ability to take a decent shot even when he's in an awkward position. The biggest knock on him is obviously his size but he's got better than average jumping ability that helps him overcome that to some degree.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if Iowa offered and he just pans out to be a limited role type player, no shame in that. But his upside could be good too.

We have 4 scholarships open for 2020, probably at least one more with a transfer. I think he’s probably worth offering, knowing he probably won’t contribute much until at least his sophomore year.

If we don’t, hope Drake gets him

As of now, we'll only have three, unless someone leaves, Bohannon doesn't redshirt, or we pull Till's scholarship. Here's the 2020 team right now, presuming Bohannon redshirts and no departures:

1. Bohannon - G - RSr
2. Pemsl - F - RSr
3. Till - F - RSr
4. Garza - C - Sr
5. Nunge - F - RJr
6. Connor - G - RJr
7. Wieskamp - G - Jr
8. Fredrick - G - RSo
9. Patrick - F - So
10. Toussaint - G - So

We'll need new blood at every position. If Born's got a good 3pt shot, he could definitely find a role on this team, with more opportunities in his second year.

Gonna need a post player in this class for sure, and probably a few more in '21.

Thanks for the video. Good highlights. Kid has nice hops for a little guy.

I think you're right about the team, its pretty much a one kid show. Norwalk really plays weak competition, though. DSM metro is not great basketball and the 3A schools are even worse.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
Outside shot needs work. It's more of a set shot at this point. But, I don't think his future is as a scorer anyway. I think it'll be more as a distributor and floor leader, with the ability to shoot as needed. He's a good FT shooter, so he has that going for him.

Lots to like about the kid, and frankly underrated (in my opinion).

First you say he pushes the ball when shooting and its a certainty he will have to work on his technique and now you are suggesting he has set shot? I guess we are watching two different things as I don't believe his shot or form comes close to resembling a set shot, in fact he elevates a good amount from deep, especially on that nice crossover step back 3. He is the son of a former D1 players and pro scout, I suspect he's been trained the right way and his shot looks fine to me. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Reactions: BBHawk
First you say he pushes the ball when shooting and its a certainty he will have to work on his technique and now you are suggesting he has set shot? I guess we are watching two different things as I don't believe his shot or form comes close to resembling a set shot, in fact he elevates a good amount from deep, especially on that nice crossover step back 3. He is the son of a former D1 players and pro scout, I suspect he's been trained the right way and his shot looks fine to me. Why fix something that isn't broken?
I’m fuzzy on the terminology.
I’ve seen him shoot and it seems to emanate from the shoulder, not a classic jump shot like a Bohannon.

Whatever, if it works for him then who am I to judge.

As of now, we'll only have three, unless someone leaves, Bohannon doesn't redshirt, or we pull Till's scholarship. Here's the 2020 team right now, presuming Bohannon redshirts and no departures:

1. Bohannon - G - RSr
2. Pemsl - F - RSr
3. Till - F - RSr
4. Garza - C - Sr
5. Nunge - F - RJr
6. Connor - G - RJr
7. Wieskamp - G - Jr
8. Fredrick - G - RSo
9. Patrick - F - So
10. Toussaint - G - So

We'll need new blood at every position. If Born's got a good 3pt shot, he could definitely find a role on this team, with more opportunities in his second year.

Gonna need a post player in this class for sure, and probably a few more in '21.
If Wieskamp improves at all I think he’s gone.

Born would be a solid pick-up in my opinion.

I say offer. It’s not like we have point guards knocking down our door to commit and at this point we’re going to get someone that has flaws in their game. And similarly to a previous poster’s sentiments, take a flyer and if he’s truly not good enough he’ll transfer. I really enjoy watching Iowa kids play for Iowa.

I posted this in a different thread but he reminds me of Drew Neitzel from MSU. Neitzel was listed at 6 ft and 160 pounds coming out of high school and carved out a really nice career at MSU. Not saying Born's ceiling is quite that high, but I have seen him play a couple times and came away impressed each time. Fran has signed FAR worse kids in his tenure than Born (most of which moved on). He has a skill set that could translate, especially if he continues to grow.

Thanks for the video. Good highlights. Kid has nice hops for a little guy.

I think you're right about the team, its pretty much a one kid show. Norwalk really plays weak competition, though. DSM metro is not great basketball and the 3A schools are even worse.

Not sure I agree with the weak competition comment. 3 of the top 4 3A teams in state in the power rankings were in the Little Hawkeye Conference. #1 Norwalk, #2 Oskaloosa & #4 Pella. Also #16 in 4A was Indianola & #2 team in 2A Pella Christian. Norwalk won a loaded conference.

Not sure I agree with the weak competition comment. 3 of the top 4 3A teams in state in the power rankings were in the Little Hawkeye Conference. #1 Norwalk, #2 Oskaloosa & #4 Pella. Also #16 in 4A was Indianola & #2 team in 2A Pella Christian. Norwalk won a loaded conference.
Agree. Norwalk and Osky would be top 15 in 4A easily.

Bowen shot close to 50% in Adidas Gauntlet League play at a 47% clip (top 10 in league) from 3 & over 50% from 2 as well. He actually struggled at the line in league play which was very non-Bowen like

The post about his shot mechanics couldn't be more inaccurate his shot has great form w/a high release point (if he is in a mini-shooting slump it is ALWAYS his release point needs a little slight tweak w/full extension/higher release). Against the athletes he faces on a consistent basis he couldn't put up the shooting numbers he does without great shot mechanics and a quick trigger.

Bowen shot close to 50% in Adidas Gauntlet League play at a 47% clip (top 10 in league) from 3 & over 50% from 2 as well. He actually struggled at the line in league play which was very non-Bowen like

The post about his shot mechanics couldn't be more inaccurate his shot has great form w/a high release point (if he is in a mini-shooting slump it is ALWAYS his release point needs a little slight tweak w/full extension/higher release). Against the athletes he faces on a consistent basis he couldn't put up the shooting numbers he does without great shot mechanics and a quick trigger.
I will defer to your expertise.

I will say that something about his shot doesn’t look crisp to me, but I’ve been wrong before.

I will defer to your expertise.

I will say that something about his shot doesn’t look crisp to me, but I’ve been wrong before.

Watch his follow-through. One of the cleanest forms I have seen, and very repeatable which is the mark of a consistently good shooter.

Reactions: skydog0784
Watch his follow-through. One of the cleanest forms I have seen, and very repeatable which is the mark of a consistently good shooter.
Don’t get me wrong. I think he does a lot of things very well. It just looks (to me) like his shot starts a little low, close to his shoulder.

It’s very repeatable which helps explain his high FT%. As far as weaknesses go, I simply think this is the area that is not his best feature. Distribution of the ball, passing, getting baskets driving to the lane, defense, being a leader ... those are his best strengths. Outside shooting (in my opinion) is decent, but not at the level of his other skills.

Again, these are strictly my opinions and I would love to see him in a Hawkeye uniform.

I’d take him over Conner m any day. I don’t care about his height. He has that intangible thing, you just can’t put your finger on it but he has it.
I feel better about him than I did when Iowa took j bo. That’s no knock on Jordan but he’s not as quick and as good of a ball handler as born.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT