ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Position and Season Predictions

HumbleP1e

HR All-American
Jan 11, 2003
Preface: Really encouraged after laying it out. With our losses and defections, I feared we might drop off a lot. I believe in the belief in Petras. A healthy Jackson and Kallenberger give us potentially excellent, experienced protectors. Britt and Linderbaum are potentially "all-timer " recruits and a healthy Banwart gives experience as well. Our skill positions could be the best of the decade. Duncan could, again, be the nation's best kicker. Smith-Marsette has already been the League's best returner and among the best in the nation. There's really no reason our offense and special teams aren't good enough to win the league.

I believe in Phil and the defense's plan. I'm less certain of names on this side in my prediction but less concerned. Not sure at DE...we will miss AJ a lot. The back 7...lots of moving parts but depth is there to find the cream of the crop. I think we'll struggle getting to the QB but not sure how that affects us. Is this a year we go to the 3-4 as our standard defensive alignment? Again, not overly concerned.

I think grad transfers could impact immediately at guard, strong safety, middle linebacker, defensive end, and punter but none are necessary. Koerner probably plays. It seems experience is rewarded. I wish we had a hammer at strong safety. Castro was lauded in recruiting. Here's my guess. Add your own.

2020 HAWKS
QB Spenser Petras
RB Tyler Goodson
(FB) Turner Pallissard
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
WR Brandon Smith
(WR) Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
(WR) Nico Ragiani
TE Sam LaPorta
(TE) Luke Lachey
LT Alaric Jackson
LG Justin Britt
C Tyler Linderbaum
RG Cole Banwart
RT Mark Kallenberger
K Keith Duncan
KR Ihmir Smith-Marsette

P Ryan Gersonde
PR Max Cooper
RE John Waggoner
DT Dayvion Nixon
DT Logan Lee
LE Chauncey Gholston
LB Nick Niemann
MLB Jack Campbell
(LB) Djimon Colbert
Cash Dane Belton
LCB Matt Hankins
RCB Julius Brents
SS Sebastian Castro
FS Kaeyvon Merriweather
(NB) Riley Moss
(DB) DJ Johnson

I want to believe we take down Wisconsin. I think the West comes down to the final game, our first with the Badgers in that capacity. The Shoe loss is less about us and more about them. We drop a winnable road game each season, not unlike most teams. I put it at Purdue though it could be Illinois. When we either hit paydirt on Wisconsin multiple times in the first half or can stop them 3 and out when they commit to three straight power runs, I will pick the Hawks. I use the same logic (though different game aspects) to pick ISU and Minnesota. We get PSU this time. I think we could go undefeated, and I had not believed that prior to laying this out. Tremendous under the radar recruiting. With the right injuries or underperformance, we could be .500. High floor.

W UNI
W Iowa State
W @Minnesota
W Northern Illinois
W Michigan State
L @ Ohio State
W @ Penn State
W Northwestern
W @ Illinois
W Nebraska
L @ Purdue
L Wisconsin
9-3, Wisconsin wins the West but a good year indeed.

Prove me wrong. :D

Hopefully, Iowa can find and utilize some other guys on punt and kickoff returns. Need to keep ISM healthy as possible. Use in special conditions. Practice watching for those onside kicks to kicker. Wisconsin and Minnesota never tire of yanking Iowa's chain with trick plays.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Hopefully, Iowa can find and utilize some other guys on punt and kickoff returns. Need to keep ISM healthy as possible. Use in special conditions. Practice watching for those onside kicks to kicker. Wisconsin and Minnesota never tire of yanking Iowa's chain with trick plays.
Minnesota is not going to be good this year especially on the defensive side of the ball

Reactions: owenhawk
Good prediction. I would only change a few things.

2020 HAWKS
QB Spenser Petras
RB Tyler Goodson
(FB) Turner Pallissard
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
WR Brandon Smith
(WR) Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
(WR) Nico Ragiani
TE Sam LaPorta
(TE) Shawn Breyer
LT Alaric Jackson
LG Justin Britt
C Tyler Linderbaum
RG Cole Banwart
RT Mark Kallenberger
K Keith Duncan
KR Ihmir Smith-Marsette

P Ryan Gersonde
PR Max Cooper
RE John Waggoner
DT Dayvion Nixon
DT Austin Schulte
LE Chauncey Gholston
LB Dijamon Colbert
MLB Nick Niemann
Cash Dane Belton
LCB Matt Hankins
RCB Julius Brents
SS Kaeyvon Merriweather
FS Jack Koerner

I do not see anyway koerner doesn’t start next year. I think they put 10 lbs on Niemann and put him at mlb. Schulte played some good minutes this year and I get the feeling he is next man in.

Last edited:
Ferentz had some nice things to say about Logan Lee and his move to DT. Did he redshirt this year? Does he see the field at DT or DE in 2020?

2020 HAWKS
QB Spenser Petras
RB Tyler Goodson
(FB) Turner Pallissard
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
WR Brandon Smith
(WR) Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
(WR) Nico Ragiani
TE Sam LaPorta
(TE) Shawn Breyer
LT Alaric Jackson
LG Justin Britt
C Tyler Linderbaum
RG Cole Banwart
RT Mark Kallenberger
K Keith Duncan
KR Ihmir Smith-Marsette

P Ryan Gersonde
PR Max Cooper
RE John Waggoner
DT Dayvion Nixon
DT Austin Schulte
LE Chauncey Gholston
LB Dijamon Colbert
MLB Nick Niemann
Cash Dane Belton
LCB Matt Hankins
RCB Julius Brents
SS Kaeyvon Merriweather
FS Jack Koerner

I do not see anyway koerner doesn’t start next year. I think they put 10 lbs on Niemann and put him at mlb. Schulte played some good minutes this year and I get the feeling he is next man in.

That lineup has a lot talent and upside. Questions at DL. And need the OL to step forward. I get the feeling Petras will be fine.

I agree with a lot of the projections posted by the OP. But I think we have a better shot to win at home vs Wisconsin, especially without Jonathan Taylor, than we do beating Penn State at Happy Valley.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I hope that Petras is better than fine. I hope he's the QB that has IT. How many points were left on the field during Stanley's career that he over threw an open reciever down field that would have been TDs? I still get pissed off about the PSU game a few years ago that his throw to TJ wasn't in the area code and TJ could have walked into the end zone.

Ferentz had some nice things to say about Logan Lee and his move to DT. Did he redshirt this year? Does he see the field at DT or DE in 2020?

Lee had some injury issues during the year and was red shirted. My guess would be playing time on passing downs from the DT position.

Reactions: squeezebox

2020 HAWKS
QB Spenser Petras
RB Tyler Goodson
(FB) Turner Pallissard
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
WR Brandon Smith
(WR) Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
(WR) Nico Ragiani
TE Sam LaPorta
(TE) Shawn Breyer
LT Alaric Jackson
LG Justin Britt
C Tyler Linderbaum
RG Cole Banwart
RT Mark Kallenberger
K Keith Duncan
KR Ihmir Smith-Marsette

P Ryan Gersonde
PR Max Cooper
RE John Waggoner
DT Dayvion Nixon
DT Austin Schulte
LE Chauncey Gholston
LB Dijamon Colbert
MLB Nick Niemann
Cash Dane Belton
LCB Matt Hankins
RCB Julius Brents
SS Kaeyvon Merriweather
FS Jack Koerner

Agree, Schulte and Shannon have a much better chance of starting than Lee, although I appreciate the optimism regarding his potential.

Reactions: m.stoops2013
Beyer probably has the other TE locked up for the spring but Yelverton is enrolling early so don’t rule him out for next year. Miamen should be physically ready at this point too.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
My 2020 predictions, the west is going to be crazy next year. I think you can make a case for every team to win 6 and probably every team but illinios to win 7 or 8.

My 2020 predictions, the west is going to be crazy next year. I think you can make a case for every team to win 6 and probably every team but illinios to win 7 or 8.
i'm curious why you think there is little doubt braska will be better than illannoy?

No offense to him, but Beyer only has experience on the field. He lost his explosiveness when he added his size. Great kid, but there's a reason I said on the open August practice that either LaPorta or Miamen must work out at TE for us to be good. The second spot is wide open. And, the third. I'm not holding much hope in Miamen now. Hope I am wrong.

Lee just looked low and tough in drills. I had been hoping for Shannon to be the guy, and he may be yet. But, Lee is a tough customer. I don't honestly give a shit asbli g as we win. Just a prediction.

Love Niemann. But, I would buy my stock in Campbell. Bad ass.

D-backfield...gonna be interesting

2020 HAWKS
QB Spenser Petras
RB Tyler Goodson
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
WR Brandon Smith
WR Tyrone Tracy
TE Sam LaPorta
LT Alaric Jackson
LG Justin Britt
C Tyler Linderbaum
RG Cole Banwart
RT Mark Kallenberger
K Keith Duncan
KR Ihmir Smith-Marsette

P Ryan Gersonde
PR Max Cooper
RE John Waggoner
DT Dayvion Nixon
DT Austin Schulte
LE Chauncey Golston
LB Dijamon Colbert
MLB Nick Niemann
Cash Dane Belton
LCB Matt Hankins
RCB Julius Brents
SS Kaeyvon Merriweather
FS Jack Koerner

I really like this lineup. Secondary is bad***. And we’ve got guys on the DL who just need to mature.
The offense will execute, legit playmakers across the board. There’s a reason this team won ten games.

Reactions: RothMatt
Preface: Really encouraged after laying it out. With our losses and defections, I feared we might drop off a lot. I believe in the belief in Petras. A healthy Jackson and Kallenberger give us potentially excellent, experienced protectors. Britt and Linderbaum are potentially "all-timer " recruits and a healthy Banwart gives experience as well. Our skill positions could be the best of the decade. Duncan could, again, be the nation's best kicker. Smith-Marsette has already been the League's best returner and among the best in the nation. There's really no reason our offense and special teams aren't good enough to win the league.

I believe in Phil and the defense's plan. I'm less certain of names on this side in my prediction but less concerned. Not sure at DE...we will miss AJ a lot. The back 7...lots of moving parts but depth is there to find the cream of the crop. I think we'll struggle getting to the QB but not sure how that affects us. Is this a year we go to the 3-4 as our standard defensive alignment? Again, not overly concerned.

I think grad transfers could impact immediately at guard, strong safety, middle linebacker, defensive end, and punter but none are necessary. Koerner probably plays. It seems experience is rewarded. I wish we had a hammer at strong safety. Castro was lauded in recruiting. Here's my guess. Add your own.

2020 HAWKS
QB Spenser Petras
RB Tyler Goodson
(FB) Turner Pallissard
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
WR Brandon Smith
(WR) Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
(WR) Nico Ragiani
TE Sam LaPorta
(TE) Luke Lachey
LT Alaric Jackson
LG Justin Britt
C Tyler Linderbaum
RG Cole Banwart
RT Mark Kallenberger
K Keith Duncan
KR Ihmir Smith-Marsette

P Ryan Gersonde
PR Max Cooper
RE John Waggoner
DT Dayvion Nixon
DT Logan Lee
LE Chauncey Gholston
LB Nick Niemann
MLB Jack Campbell
(LB) Djimon Colbert
Cash Dane Belton
LCB Matt Hankins
RCB Julius Brents
SS Sebastian Castro
FS Kaeyvon Merriweather
(NB) Riley Moss
(DB) DJ Johnson

I want to believe we take down Wisconsin. I think the West comes down to the final game, our first with the Badgers in that capacity. The Shoe loss is less about us and more about them. We drop a winnable road game each season, not unlike most teams. I put it at Purdue though it could be Illinois. When we either hit paydirt on Wisconsin multiple times in the first half or can stop them 3 and out when they commit to three straight power runs, I will pick the Hawks. I use the same logic (though different game aspects) to pick ISU and Minnesota. We get PSU this time. I think we could go undefeated, and I had not believed that prior to laying this out. Tremendous under the radar recruiting. With the right injuries or underperformance, we could be .500. High floor.

W UNI
W Iowa State
W @Minnesota
W Northern Illinois
W Michigan State
L @ Ohio State
W @ Penn State
W Northwestern
W @ Illinois
W Nebraska
L @ Purdue
L Wisconsin

looks likely 9 or 10 wins.

2020 HAWKS
QB Spenser Petras
RB Tyler Goodson
(FB) Turner Pallissard
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
WR Brandon Smith
(WR) Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
(WR) Nico Ragiani
TE Sam LaPorta
(TE) Luke Lachey
LT Alaric Jackson
LG Justin Britt
C Tyler Linderbaum
RG Cole Banwart
RT Mark Kallenberger
K Keith Duncan
KR Ihmir Smith-Marsette

P Ryan Gersonde
PR Max Cooper
RE John Waggoner
DT Dayvion Nixon
DT Logan Lee
LE Chauncey Gholston
LB Nick Niemann
MLB Jack Campbell
(LB) Djimon Colbert
Cash Dane Belton
LCB Matt Hankins
RCB Julius Brents
SS Sebastian Castro
FS Kaeyvon Merriweather
(NB) Riley Moss
(DB) DJ Johnson

W UNI
W Iowa State
W @Minnesota
W Northern Illinois
W Michigan State
L @ Ohio State
W @ Penn State
W Northwestern
W @ Illinois
W Nebraska
L @ Purdue
L Wisconsin

I'd swap Ped and Wiscy, I like 9-3 but probably 8-4....

i'm curious why you think there is little doubt braska will be better than illannoy?
Eh, I don't know as much about Nebraska and I think they have a good QB. It's just a matter of if they play him or stick with Martinez. If I had to pick right now, illinios and Nebraska would be my bottom two teams. I'm going to bump NW up to 5th. Minny 4th. Purdue 3rd. Iowa 2nd. Wisconsin 1st. I only put Wisconsin 1st because I need someone else to prove they can win the west. Nothing against Iowa. What's iowa's QB situation? I think Purdue is probably a year away from pushing them as they are still super young and breaking in a new DC. I think Diaco is an upgrade though. I think Minny is going to have a "reset" year.

Eh, I don't know as much about Nebraska and I think they have a good QB. It's just a matter of if they play him or stick with Martinez. If I had to pick right now, illinios and Nebraska would be my bottom two teams. I'm going to bump NW up to 5th. Minny 4th. Purdue 3rd. Iowa 2nd. Wisconsin 1st. I only put Wisconsin 1st because I need someone else to prove they can win the west. Nothing against Iowa. What's iowa's QB situation? I think Purdue is probably a year away from pushing them as they are still super young and breaking in a new DC. I think Diaco is an upgrade though. I think Minny is going to have a "reset" year.

Not many would disagree with your point on Wisky. Our QB is Spencer Petras - going to be a redshirt sophomore. 4 Star recruit coming out of h.s. / San Rafael, CA / Same hs as Jared Goff. Pro Style and a pocket passer with a fairly big arm. Very little college game experience. Not much of a running threat.

High school honors - - Named Metro Player of the Year and conference Player of the Year as a senior . . . team Most Valuable Player as a senior . . . first-team all-conference and team offensive MVP as a junior . . . Career - - Three-year football letterman . . . helped prep team post three-year mark of 35-5 while participating in state playoffs all three seasons . . . holds school records for passing yards in a game (502) and season (4,157) . . . passing touchdowns in a game (5) and season (50), and single-game completion percentage (100 percent) . . . records for season yards and season touchdowns previously held by current NFL quarterback Jared Goff . . . completed 199-of-312 pass attempts (63.8%) as a senior, passing for 4,157 yards and 50 touchdowns, with two interceptions . . . also rushed for 223 yards and nine touchdowns . . . passed for 502 yards and four touchdowns in leading team to 59-56 win in Section Championship as a senior . . . completed 172-of-305 attempts (56%) as a junior, passing for 3,036 yards and 33 touchdowns, with eight interceptions . . . also rushed for 310 yards and seven touchdowns . . . team captain as a senior . . . also earned four letters in track, competing in sprints, hurdles, and shot put.

Not many would disagree with your point on Wisky. Our QB is Spencer Petras - going to be a redshirt sophomore. 4 Star recruit coming out of h.s. / San Rafael, CA / Same hs as Jared Goff. Pro Style and a pocket passer with a fairly big arm. Very little college game experience. Not much of a running threat.

High school honors - - Named Metro Player of the Year and conference Player of the Year as a senior . . . team Most Valuable Player as a senior . . . first-team all-conference and team offensive MVP as a junior . . . Career - - Three-year football letterman . . . helped prep team post three-year mark of 35-5 while participating in state playoffs all three seasons . . . holds school records for passing yards in a game (502) and season (4,157) . . . passing touchdowns in a game (5) and season (50), and single-game completion percentage (100 percent) . . . records for season yards and season touchdowns previously held by current NFL quarterback Jared Goff . . . completed 199-of-312 pass attempts (63.8%) as a senior, passing for 4,157 yards and 50 touchdowns, with two interceptions . . . also rushed for 223 yards and nine touchdowns . . . passed for 502 yards and four touchdowns in leading team to 59-56 win in Section Championship as a senior . . . completed 172-of-305 attempts (56%) as a junior, passing for 3,036 yards and 33 touchdowns, with eight interceptions . . . also rushed for 310 yards and seven touchdowns . . . team captain as a senior . . . also earned four letters in track, competing in sprints, hurdles, and shot put.
Seems like a promising player! Purdue just hired a new special teams coach, so Purdue definitely upgraded at DC and ST coaching positions this year.

Not sold on Cooper on PR. I guess if all you want is for someone to field it then fine. Would like to see someone a little more slippery back there. Maybe Tracey?

Also, think they need to go JUCO or grad transfer for a Punter and some DE help. Seems like those might be the weak spots and cant count on Gersonde to be healthy and productive.

I hope the Guard spots are completely open. No union cards or anything like that.

Probably a Schott, Banwart, Britt, and Ince battle. Personally I’d love to see Britt and Ince take a big leap forward.

Reactions: bumpstock
Kyler Schott will be motivated by this thread. Although there will be a rotation at the guard spots.

Reactions: TKingpin
Kyler Schott will be motivated by this thread. Although there will be a rotation at the guard spots.
I hope it doesn't take a thread by has beens and never was's to motivate a player to get better. Don't care who plays as long as they're the best we have. With a first round pick and some significant experience, we were maybe average on the o line this season. Not sure anyone can be assigned sacred cow status. Again, love all Hawks, but we have to be real.

I hope it doesn't take a thread by has beens and never was's to motivate a player to get better. Don't care who plays as long as they're the best we have. With a first round pick and some significant experience, we were maybe average on the o line this season. Not sure anyone can be assigned sacred cow status. Again, love all Hawks, but we have to be real.

Who the hell is assigning sacred cow status? For the most part Schott played well, only a freshman so I expect him to be much better moving forward. Strong, tough a former wrestler that understands leverage, I'm not going to discount him.

With as many drops as Tracy had I would not want him as a punt returner. It’s always been a decision based on hands. #1 criteria is “Do no Harm”

Reactions: NevadaHawk
ISM would be my choice. Next would be Tracy.

PR is a lot different then KR. ISM likely excels having that head of steam and surveying the field to use his speed on KR. You don't have that luxury on PR. It's a much tougher catch and your often have to and make an immediate move. They are two completely different skill-sets.

With as many drops as Tracy had I would not want him as a punt returner. It’s always been a decision based on hands. #1 criteria is “Do no Harm”
Agreed, Tracy has to improve on his pass catching before we even think about putting him in the punt return position.

That's why the choice of Cooper was a little puzzling. He was a little shaky fielding some punts if I remember correctly.
I thought Cooper got better as he he got more comfortable in the position. The thing I most like about him is he catches the ball instead of letting it the ground and roll another twenty yards.

Reactions: WadeWilson
ADVERTISEMENT