ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Since my last recruiting thread was hijacked, thought I would start a new one.

With Pemsl getting a hardship extension, I think that leaves us with 5 open spots for 2020.

Questions abound:

1. Will Fran bring in a grad transfer or a sit and play transfer
2. Will Fran give a walk-on like Till a scholarship, at least for next year
3. Any JC players available that can help

I'm assuming four open schollies in 2020 class:

1. Xavier Foster is numero uno, hope he selects the home state Hawks. Not getting a good vibe from his Dad, all he talks about is this blue blood contacted us or that blue blood watched my son. Would love to see the young man stay in his home state and make his own legacy. If not Foster, who? Maybe Garcia, really like his game. Crowl now being mentioned, seems like he will visit soon.

2. Point guard is the next most critical, Need to get a kid on campus to get a commitment, to date Ty Berry has visited, maybe Chanse Robinson will also. Hear them mentioned a lot.

3. Would love to see Andre Jackson the swing forward from NY visit, will be tough to beat Syracuse and other East coast schools.Read where he played AAU with Toussaint so you never know.

4. Last but not least is Desmond Polk, solid swing guard. His name comes up a lot in Hawk conversations. Leal is another kid mentioned but has a Hoosier offer now so highly unlikely. He did visit last year, smooth stroke.

There are a lot of balls in the air right now. Biggest being, who will the next assistant be?

Reactions: CanadaHawk
Fran has already looked at 3 sit and play transfers and they went elsewhere. He is clearly open to this route. I believe Fran sits tight for 2019.

Reactions: perryhawk
Original post sounds good to me. I don't follow recruiting closely enough to know all of the alternatives, but that would check the boxes for a top, balanced class.

Luke Goode from the 2021 class seems to really like Iowa. He seems to project into a Wieskamp role. Being from Indiana, he might attract another Indiana guy in Polk. That might be enough to get Foster to come to Iowa. I think we just need one recruiting win to start the ball rolling.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
I think Fran sits without taking a transfer....I don't think there's a grad transfer that would fill the need better than what we have...could be wrong.

IF there is another sit out a year transfer that makes more sense, and I think Fran is open to it (as suter said, he has looked and would obviously do it if there was a player worth taking) but again I am not sure there is anyone out there better than the recruits we are looking at.

In the 2020 class we really don't HAVE to fill all 5 scholarships.....I'm starting to be in the group that thinks a few less players equals a smaller rotation which is better. Therefore, only take the recruits that are clear wins....that said, I think there are some Iowa kids that could be brought in to supplement the roster and be the types that might take a few years to reach a point where they are starter material...and that's okay as long as we get one or two higher level recruits.

Luke Goode from the 2021 class seems to really like Iowa. He seems to project into a Wieskamp role. Being from Indiana, he might attract another Indiana guy in Polk. That might be enough to get Foster to come to Iowa. I think we just need one recruiting win to start the ball rolling.

Goode has not yet been offered by Purdue, but the word is watch out for the Boilers in his recruitment.

Fran has already looked at 3 sit and play transfers and they went elsewhere. He is clearly open to this route. I believe Fran sits tight for 2019.
I think you are PROBABLY right, but you never know. That said, I'm referring to the 2020 class when I say he should take a transfer of some kind. In other words, fill 3-4 scholarships in the fall of 2019 with high school recruits and save 1-2 for transfer opportunities in the spring of 2020.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT