ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Softball

LinusPF

HR MVP
Nov 14, 2009
2019/20 Season starts tomorrow. Going to need a program with 14 new faces and 30 on the roster.

Pitch

Allison Doocy - Senior 2.70
Lauren Shaw - Junior 2.80 (2018)
Sarah Lehman - Junior 5.20
Emma Olejniczak - Junior UNI 6.38
Gabby Schnathorst - Junior DMACC
Allie Timmons - Fresh Dav Assumption

Infield
Liz Deshields - Senior .172
Donirae Mayhew - Senior .258
Ashley Hamilton - Junior .192
Aralee Bogar - Junior .223
Cameron Cecil - Soph .259
Sydney Owens - Soph .179
Miranda Schulte - Soph .120
Avery Guy - Junior DMACC
Mia Ruther - Junior DMACC
Nicole Yoder - Fresh Dav Assumption
Nia Carter - Fresh California
Erin Carter - Fresh Michigan
Taylor Ryan - Fresh Solon
Kalena Burns - Fresh California

Outfield

Alex Rath - Senior .250
Lea Thompson - Senior .224
Havyn Monteer - Senior .231
Kate Claypool - Soph .118
Hallie Ketcham - Soph .233
Jayci Vos - JR DMACC
Morgan Lewis - Soph DMACC
Riley Sheehy - Soph USC Upstate .400

Catch
Abbie Lien - Soph .215
Kit Rocco - Soph Northern Kentucky .233

Iowa 4, Des Moines Area Community College 1.
DMACC Twitter updates (because you have to go to the community college's Twitter page for Iowa news) suggest most of Iowa's 4 runs were unearned.

Iowa 4, Des Moines Area Community College 1.
DMACC Twitter updates (because you have to go to the community college's Twitter page for Iowa news) suggest most of Iowa's 4 runs were unearned.

Doesn’t Iowa tweet about their games? Odd

From the roster above, looks like the scrimmage was very close to being DMACC vs DMACC :)

How did Avery Guy perform? I think she will be a great pick-up for the Hawkeyes!

Reactions: CarterHall
Limited Big 4 Softball scrimmages in Des Moines over the weekend due to weather. Iowa looked business like....very focused and organized during their warm up. Roster size is noticeably larger than the other schools.

Drake 5 - ISU 1
Iowa 5 - UNI 1
ISU 13 - UNI 9

So what is the scoop on the new coach after 1 yr, our we on the upswing?
Year 1 was not good with virtually all returning players regressing. That can happen with new coaches, I suppose. I hoped to see some big transfers to plug holes, but that hasn't happened. Year 2 will be telling.

Limited Big 4 Softball scrimmages in Des Moines over the weekend due to weather. Iowa looked business like....very focused and organized during their warm up. Roster size is noticeably larger than the other schools.

Drake 5 - ISU 1
Iowa 5 - UNI 1
ISU 13 - UNI 9

Looks like Lauren Shaw pitched after being out a year for an injury. I'm not sure if she pitched the whole way, but nice to have another option to offset Doocy and Lehman.

Looks like Lauren Shaw pitched after being out a year for an injury. I'm not sure if she pitched the whole way, but nice to have another option to offset Doocy and Lehman.
Yeah, saw a pic on Twitter of Shaw warming up. The UNI transfer Olejniczak could help also - she had an ERA in the low 3's while pitching 91 innings her freshman year. Ballooned to 6-ish last spring, don't know what happened.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
Yeah, saw a pic on Twitter of Shaw warming up. The UNI transfer Olejniczak could help also - she had an ERA in the low 3's while pitching 91 innings her freshman year. Ballooned to 6-ish last spring, don't know what happened.

They still need to touch of Shaw’s bio. I am sure some non sport intern wrote it but one would expect better.

Iowa picked up three 2021 verbal commitments over the weekend.

Madison Weaver, Indianapolis, Indiana Magic Gold Softball, C/UT
Anna Henderson, Battle Ground, IN, Iowa Premier Softball, C, SS
Emma Henderson, Battle Ground, IN, Iowa Premier Softball, P, 3B, UT

Anna and Emma are twins.

Reactions: mehawk
Fresh P Allie Timmons is no longer listed on the roster online. I'm not sure how much she would have pitched this year, but was the only pitcher in the freshmen class.

Fresh P Allie Timmons is no longer listed on the roster online. I'm not sure how much she would have pitched this year, but was the only pitcher in the freshmen class.

Timmons improved each year at Assumption....tall and lanky....lots of upside with that kid!

The first tournament of the season is two weeks from today. The team was in the Tampa area for spring training last week. It'll be interesting to see how the team meshes with so many new players.

It looks like Lauren Shaw is healthy and pitching again. Will be nice to have a lefty on the mound to give the teams a different look.

Allie Timmons is now on the Drake softball roster.
https://godrakebulldogs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6808&path=softball

Hawks got a verbal commitment from 2021 Pitcher Britney Lewinski from Chicago area but played for Iowa Premier
https://twitter.com/britneylewinski?lang=en

Team batted .215 last season and was out-scored by almost 100 runs. Be interesting to see how much they can improve on that this year.

Roster count currently at 28; not that it really matters, although I was curious to see if we'd hit 30 ;)

Opening Day!! Looking forward to seeing the new Hawk players in action.
East Carolina and a good Virginia Tech team up today.

Split two games. Won the first, although we won our first last season also. Doocy was herself. Shaw and Lehman got hit. Bogar at 2nd and Lein catching for both games, otherwise lots of position shifting. Guessing this will continue until the coaches figure out who the best hitters are.

Hawks win both on Saturday to move to 3-1 for the weekend. Play Virginia Tech again in the morning. VT is looking really good. Am guessing we end the weekend 3-2.

Hawks stole one verses the home Coastal Carolina team in 8 innings. The International Tie breaker was used in the 8th. Iowa scored on an error by the CC 2nd baseman on a slow routine ground ball. CC had runners on 1st and 3rd with no outs. CC sent the runner on a wild pitch, but Iowa applied the tag and got the out at home and the runner from first advancing to third. The runner did not choose to go home on a slow grounder to the left of the third baseman and got an ear full from her coach. Iowa ended it with a popup to first.

As Row55 said the line ups were fluid especially in the OF. Freshman Kalena Burns hitting the ball very well with power. Doocy looked great and Shaw threw some great innings, but did get dinged up by VT but the defense didn't help much that game.

Hawk roster down to 26. Looks like Voss and the DMACC pitcher (Gabby S) no longer on the roster.

Go Hawks

Nice start to the season. Won this morning 4-3 in 8 innings. Couldn’t ask for much more than a 4-1 start. Go Hawks!

4-1! Only fly in the ointment might be Lein - she only caught a couple of innings in the first Saturday game, Rocco's caught since. Hope it's not an injury.

Hawks played great today. Virginia Tech is going to win a lot of games this year. A great team win...pitching, defense, timely hitting.

@Row55 - The switched catchers mid day on Friday, too. No injury (I think) as she was catching when the pitchers were warming up and Rocco was getting equipment on.

The newcomers are looking good so far.

Great weekend for the Hawkeyes as they finish 3-1 in the B1G/ACC Challenge. Great pitching by Shaw this weekend. B1G Pitcher of the Week. Off to Hawaii next weekend.

ERArfDJUwAAlR2W

Last edited:
A quick look at stats after two weekends: we have five players with a .300 avg or better (4 with .400 or better). Monteer is the only returning vet in that group. Burns is at .286 but leading with 16 total bases. Shaw's ERA is 1.65 and Doocy is at 2.07. Of course, it's not like we've been playing Florida and Alabama, but I think for a rebuilding program coming off a number of difficult seasons, an easier schedule is justifiable.

On the downside, Bogar is hitting just .167, Mayhew at .100 and Lehman has only pitched once. Four Hawks batting .000. No appearances by Thompson so far; a couple of seasons ago it seemed she was a rising talent (I know she has had injury problems in the past) . Also not appearing so far is DeShields.

It's been a disturbing trend in Iowa softball - player stats getting worse as their career goes along. Bogar only hit .223 last year after hitting .279 in 2018. Unfortunately that trajectory continues. She does other things well though. Mayhew hit well at the beginning of the season last year, but I believe she was under .200 in B1G play. She rightly has lost her position in the starting lineup lately.

Lehman has shoulder issues. Healthy she's our best relief pitcher option. I don't think the other pitchers are ready to give reliable innings.

It's a good sign our legacy players are not getting in the lineup! They weren't getting it done.

Wow, great start continues with 4 wins in Hawaii so far this weekend. Doocy with a 15 K complete game. Hawks now 11-2.

Hawks with the weekend sweep as Iowa knocks off UMKC 4-2 on two 2-run homers off the bats of Burns and Mayhew.

Iowa pitchers give up only 8 runs (7 ER) in five games. Nia Carter with a hot bat all weekend.

Hawks are 12-2 on pace to easily break last year's win total of 19.

Maderia Beach tournament next week verses Miami, Florida Gulf Coast, Florida Atlantic and South Alabama.

Go Hawks!

Hawks with the weekend sweep as Iowa knocks off UMKC 4-2 on two 2-run homers off the bats of Burns and Mayhew.

Iowa pitchers give up only 8 runs (7 ER) in five games. Nia Carter with a hot bat all weekend.

Hawks are 12-2 on pace to easily break last year's win total of 19.

Maderia Beach tournament next week verses Miami, Florida Gulf Coast, Florida Atlantic and South Alabama.

Go Hawks!

Glad to see the program showing some signs of life!

Hawks split at the first weekend of the Spring Games in Maderia Beach. Lost a game to a bad S. Alabama team with multiple opportunities to blow the game open.

Back to Maderia Beach next week with Loyola (Chi), South Dakota State, Central Michigan and Ohio on the slate.

Iowa did get a verbal commitment from Norwalk's Hailey Downe a 2021 pitcher.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Great start for the Hawks!

I know Thompson had a hamstring problem and sometimes that never heals properly.

Schedule really plays into having a good year. No Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota.

3 against both Michigan State and Penn State. Should be a good shot at sweeps.

Maryland should also be beatable at home.

Indiana is having a rough start to their year. Rutgers is too. Nebraska continues to look down.

Purdue should be a tough series. Northwestern will be a tough beat.

Maybe a top 4 Big 10 team this year. 25 win season?

ADVERTISEMENT