ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting (1 Schollie Available): JBo back. Filip Rebraca, Riley Mulvey & Payton Sandfort have Signed

Trey James Update:

The Rivals FutureCast for Trey James is unanimous.

All Rivals Analysts and Publishers predict Trey James to...

Drum roll, please...

iig.png

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Iowa for sure has 2 scholarships available for 2021 (to replace Garza and JBo).

From everything I am reading, those 2 scholarships are earmarked for:

* Trey James; Iowa is at the top of his list.

* Payton Sandfort. Sandfort has been favoring Iowa, Utah, Drake, and Minnesota, but it seems things are coming down to Iowa and Utah. Sandfort is not in a rush to make a decision

If Iowa gets commitments from both of those guys and that is their class for the year (I realize other schollies could come open), would you be happy with it? If both of those guys called Fran and wanted to commit today, are they both commit able offers?

Reactions: Auger
If Iowa gets commitments from both of those guys and that is their class for the year (I realize other schollies could come open), would you be happy with it? If both of those guys called Fran and wanted to commit today, are they both commit able offers?
Trey and Payton are high on Iowa's list; if they both said they're ready to commit, I think Iowa would be very happy & would be done with the 2021 class (for now)

Trey and Payton are high on Iowa's list; if they both said they're ready to commit, I think Iowa would be very happy & would be done with the 2021 class (for now)

Thanks for the reply. I asked as they both seem like really solid recruits. However, from the interest from some recruits, it feels like Iowa is taking last year's on-court success and doing a bit of whale hunting to see if they can really up their game in the talent they bring in. While both are solid recruits (I say that based on ratings as I have not seen either play), I was trying to gauge the level of expectation this year in recruiting.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Remember that kids often commit to a coach but don’t announce it publicly right away for one reason or another. It is very possible that one or both of these guys have told the coaches they are coming. Fran is very direct with recruits and will flat out ask them where we stand. He has a pretty good idea who we will get before any announcements are made. Probably not unlike many other programs.

It's being reported that 2021 power forward James Graham was offered by Iowa yesterday during a virtual visit.

He said the offer is big because it was one that he wanted. He has been in contact with Sherman Dillard for several months now.

When asked about the potential of committing to a school without ever having visited in person he said he doesn't have a problem with it because he believes you commit to a coach as much as the school.
Source: https://twitter.com/devine_tyler

James has 16 offers:
Iowa
Maryland
Michigan State
Rutgers
Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Xavier
Auburn
Cincinnati
Florida State
Georgia
Missouri
DePaul
Milwaukee
NC Wilmington

On June 3rd: The Iowa offer was big and the one he wanted.

And now? o_O:(o_O Enjoy the song that comes with this announcement. You gotta love those songs that talk about selling dope till the sun goes down.

With James, I'm most concerned with the quality of competition. He comes from a town of 600 in east Kentucky near the West Virginia/Virginia borders. Doesn't look like hes up against much talent wise in the videos. Too bad we couldn't have seen him in AAU competition this summer
I am wondering what his actual height is. Not saying he isn't , but he doesn't look 6'10" to me . He looks 6'8" to 6'9" .

I believe in Fran's ability to judge talent....he is exceptional at it. That said, I like a couple of the other options at the 2G/WF type position over PS. Since Fran has made him a priority I hope we land PS, but if we don't I am truly not upset about it.....I think the potential is there that we find a more talented player.

Since there seems to be a good chance that James commits to Iowa given his lack of other high major offers (aside from the school he decommitted from)... color me concerned that in the two videos posted here that totaled 17 minutes, I didn’t see him use his left hand on a shot once. Even when he spins towards the left side of the hoop, he either goes up with his right or takes a fade-away jumper. In situations where he could take a left hand baby hook, things get really awkward for him. I like the athleticism and high release point on his shot, but guy is gonna have to develop a left hand if he wants to play Big Ten ball

This is why blue bloods dont typically offer these types or even a lot of the major conference schools. Not to say they wont develope into someone like a Garza but the schools dont like big development projects. That said Fran has a solid track record of developing bigs. If they get James I really like the roster Iowa could have in 2-3 years with these youngsters. Very well rounded.

Last edited:
We're loading up on 3* recruits. Doesn't mean they won't exceed their current rankings, but I certainly wouldn't mind tossing in an occasional 4* (or, just once, a 5*) recruit. Most of our rivals in the B1G are also recruiting well and some are killing it.

Reactions: perryhawk
Yeah, you're right. I forgot about Patrick but according to 247Sports, none of our incoming recruits are 4*, although I think some services have upgraded Ulis. It just feels as though some B1G programs are pulling in 2 or 3 four star (or better)recruits every year. If we aren't keeping up, we're falling behind.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about Patrick but according to 247Sports, none of our incoming recruits are 4*, although I think some services have upgraded Ulis. It just feels as though some B1G programs are pulling in 2 or 3 four star (or better)recruits every year. If we aren't keeping up, we're falling behind.

Ahron Ulis was upgraded to 4-star status by Rivals in their final 2020 class rankings. He's #112 in the class.

I believe in Fran's ability to judge talent....he is exceptional at it. That said, I like a couple of the other options at the 2G/WF type position over PS. Since Fran has made him a priority I hope we land PS, but if we don't I am truly not upset about it.....I think the potential is there that we find a more talented player.

He may quite well be excellent at it, but too often we give all the recruiting accolades to the head coach and not enough to the assistants that do even more of the heavy lifting on recruiting.

Reactions: perryhawk
He may quite well be excellent at it, but too often we give all the recruiting accolades to the head coach and not enough to the assistants that do even more of the heavy lifting on recruiting.

Coach Dillard dazzles them with his wardrobe.

At this point, it just feels as though everything Iowa is going to hell in the proverbial hand basket. I would be almost shocked if Luka decides to return.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT