ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting (1 Schollie Available): JBo back. Filip Rebraca, Riley Mulvey & Payton Sandfort have Signed

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
APRIL 26, 2021 UPDATE:

With the Bohannon announcement and the Filip Rebraca & CJ Fredrick news (he gone), we now have ONE opening for next season IF NO ONE ELSE (Weezy!) leaves early.

Here's a summary (and some history) of how we got to this year's roster.

Note: Weezy likely falls out, as we all know. But that appears to be the final piece to the puzzle because it looks like Fran is done in the transfer portal.

In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

ONE THING TO MONITOR: due to covid-19, 2020-2021 was considered a "free year" by the NCAA, so seniors Luka Garza and Jordan Bohannon could have come back for the 2021-2022 season. Bohannon decided to do so. So, anyone listed below (with the exception of Bohannon and Filip Rebraca) as SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS OR SENIORS, could potentially play a year later than CURRENTLY expected.

Current Roster (13 currently on scholarship):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort (***)

6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***)

SOPHOMORES: 6 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele (***)

6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'8" F Keegan Murray (Not Rated)

6'8" F Kris Murray (Not Rated)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****); on May 29, 2020, Patrick received approval for a medical hardship after playing in just 2 games in the 2019-2020 season, giving him 4 years of college eligibility (through 2024).

JUNIORS: 2 players

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca; on April 22, 2021, Filip, who was a Junior at that time, announced he was transferring from North Dakota to Iowa. Filip played 3 years at ND but will have 2 years eligibility remaining at Iowa due to the covid-19 free year that all 2020-2021 athletes were given.

SENIORS : 3 players

6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); was originally scheduled to graduate in 2020; had surgery on his right hip in May 2019; appeared in only 10 games in 2019; on December 19, 2019 he underwent surgery on his left hip (6-9 month recovery period); applied for a medical hardship and for one more year of eligibility. On May 12, 2020, Jordan was granted another year of eligibility (medical hardship waiver). On April 26, 2021, Jordan announced that he was returning to Iowa for a sixth season (the 2020-2021 season was ruled a "free year" by the NCAA due to covid-19 uncertainties; in March, 2021, Jordan had planned on being done. Instead, he had a change of heart & decided to come back for ONE FINAL YEAR).

6'6" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****); announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure. However, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship.

October 4, 2020 UPDATE & Where things stand

For the 2021 Class, Iowa had 2 scholarships available (to replace Garza and JBo). If Weezy leaves, that number could increase to 3.

Payton took one of those 2 (or 3) scholarships.

Here are the 8 Players Iowa has offered for 2021 where the player is still UNDECIDED. Do we land one of these 8? Or is Iowa done?

Andrew Morgan
Not Rated, 6'9" PF, 230, Waseca MN
6 offers

Chet Holmgren
5 Star, 7'0", C, 190, Minneapolis, MN
32 offers

Micawber Etienne
4 Star, C, 6'10", 220, Wolfeboro, NH
12 offers

Hunter Sallis
5 Star, PG, 6'5", 175, Omaha, NE
31 offers

Lynn Greer III
3 Star, PG, 6'1", 165, Bradenton, FL
13 offers

Blake Wesley
4 Star, SG, 6'5", 180, South Bend, IN
14 offers

Bryce Hopkins
4 Star, SF, 6'6", 210, Oak Park, IL
16 offers

Daniel Nixon
3 Star, SF, 6'7", 215, Winston-Salem, NC
18 offers

ORIGINAL POST

Here is some info on Trey James and Kuluel Mading.

Some video of Kuluel:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13662861/Kuluel-Mading

Last edited:
Legit 6’11, great touch at the basket, monster on the boards and provides rim protection.

giphy.gif

Inez (Kentucky) Martin County High School 2021 forward Trey James had his virtual visit with Iowa yesterday.

It will be interesting to see what he says and what stood out concerning his conversations with the Iowa staff.

It's being reported that 2021 power forward James Graham was offered by Iowa yesterday during a virtual visit.

He said the offer is big because it was one that he wanted. He has been in contact with Sherman Dillard for several months now.

When asked about the potential of committing to a school without ever having visited in person he said he doesn't have a problem with it because he believes you commit to a coach as much as the school.
Source: https://twitter.com/devine_tyler

James has 16 offers:
Iowa
Maryland
Michigan State
Rutgers
Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Xavier
Auburn
Cincinnati
Florida State
Georgia
Missouri
DePaul
Milwaukee
NC Wilmington

I'm surprised Kuluel Mading doesn't have more and better offers. The kid can hit the three at 6'9" and can jump out of the gym. In the one highlight he almost hit his head on the rim forcing him to duck. Being skinny is the only reason I can see that is holding him back from high major offers. I hope Iowa offers. I love the kids 'tape'.

Last edited:
We are getting some serious talent to take a look at us. That has not always been the case during Fran's tenure but to his credit, Fran and the staff are getting the attention of some of the best players in the country. Nice to see!

That's a great list for Graham. Maybe the best ever for a McCaffery offer since he's been at Iowa. 247Sports hasn't rated him, but has declared Maryland the favorite. Not sure that means a thing at this point.

Last edited:
Thanks for those videos.....I like this kid and here are some of the key reasons:

1) Only a HS junior in these videos and he is reasonably strong. Obviously needs to add strength for college, but pretty good for a HS junior. Not skinny.
2) Fairly active rebounder.....and physical.
3) Good shot blocker.
4) Decent shot and offensively aggressive in traffic.
5) A fairly well rounded game....rebounding, scoring, shot blocking...made a couple of good passes.

We won't see another Luka Garza, but if we can get post players who are good rebounders, play good defense, and are a scoring threats we will usually be in good shape. This guy appears to fit that bill.

Have you seen many/any on this Logan Landers kid? He is slightly higher rated and has better offers but the very little bit of video that I have seen doesn't look quite as impressive as the Kentucky kid.
i have not.

Interesting that Iowa offered him yesterday.

He has a nice offer list:
Iowa
Kansas
K State
Houston
Miami (FL)
TCU
Missouri
USC
Texas A&M

Last edited:
Thanks for those videos.....I like this kid and here are some of the key reasons:

1) Only a HS junior in these videos and he is reasonably strong. Obviously needs to add strength for college, but pretty good for a HS junior. Not skinny.
3) Good shot blocker.
5) A fairly well rounded game....rebounding, scoring, shot blocking...made a couple of good passes.

We won't see another Luka Garza, but if we can get post players who are good rebounders, play good defense, and are a scoring threats we will usually be in good shape. This guy appears to fit that bill.

Check out what's happening today.

cc: @Mohawkeye @Kurt Warner @BlackNGoldBleeder

Since there seems to be a good chance that James commits to Iowa given his lack of other high major offers (aside from the school he decommitted from)... color me concerned that in the two videos posted here that totaled 17 minutes, I didn’t see him use his left hand on a shot once. Even when he spins towards the left side of the hoop, he either goes up with his right or takes a fade-away jumper. In situations where he could take a left hand baby hook, things get really awkward for him. I like the athleticism and high release point on his shot, but guy is gonna have to develop a left hand if he wants to play Big Ten ball

Be sure to check out Tom's Trey James story on the front page.

The FULL STORY is HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/another-good-zoom-visit-for-james

Some excerpts:

On Friday the three star big man from Kentucky had his third Zoom call with the Hawkeyes, but this one was more about on the court basketball than touring the Iowa campus and it was with Head Coach Fran McCaffery.

The last couple of times it was showing me the facilities and talking about the program. This time it was a film session with Coach McCaffery where he talked about how I would fit into their system and how my skill set would work with what they do on offense,” James said on Friday evening.

The Hawkeyes have certainly been ramping up their push to potentially get a commitment from James in recent weeks. This week in addition to the Zoom call with Fran McCaffery, James has also spoken with assistant coach Billy Taylor on a regular basis.

2021 Iowa Basketball Offer List (32 total)

18 Undecided:

Trey James
C 6'10" 220 Inez, KY
Undecided

Payton Sandfort
SF 6'6" 195 Waukee, IA
Undecided

K.J. Adams
PF 6'6" 200 Austin, TX
Undecided

James Graham III
PF 6'8" 210 Milwaukee, WI
Undecided

Elijah Tucker
PF 6'7" 190 Canton, GA
Undecided

Andrew Morgan
PF 6'9" 230 Waseca, MN
Undecided

Chet Holmgren
C 7'0" 190 Minneapolis, MN
Undecided

Micawber Etienne
C 6'10" 220 Wolfeboro, NH
Undecided

Yaya Keita
C 6'9" 225 St. Louis, MO
Undecided

Logan Landers
C 6'9" 215 Cedarburg, WI
Undecided

Hunter Sallis
PG 6'4" 165 Omaha, NE
Undecided

Jaden Akins
PG 6'3" 160 Farmington, MI
Undecided

Bensley Joseph
PG 6'1" 165 Putnam, CT
Undecided

Blake Wesley
SG 6'5" 180 South Bend, IN
Undecided

Lynn Greer III
PG 6'1" 165 Bradenton, FL
Undecided

Kendall Brown
SF 6'7" 200 Bel Aire, KS
Undecided

Malaki Branham
SF 6'5" 175 Akron, OH
Undecided

Jordan Nesbitt
SF 6'6" 205 St. Louis, MO
Undecided

14 Committed Elsewhere:

Trey Patterson
PF 6'8" 210 Somerset, NJ
Villanova
6/18/20
VERBAL

Caleb Furst
PF 6'9" 215 Fort Wayne, IN
Purdue
3/2/20
VERBAL

Pierre Brooks
SF 6'6" 205 Detroit, MI
Michigan State
4/22/20
VERBAL

JR Konieczny
SF 6'7" 195 South Bend, IN
Notre Dame
8/18/19
VERBAL

Matthew Mors
PF 6'7" 220 Yankton, SD
Wisconsin
9/29/19
VERBAL

Will Tschetter
PF 6'8" 225 Stewartville, MN
Michigan
7/6/20
VERBAL

Treyton Thompson
C 6'10" 185 La Porte, IN
Minnesota
11/30/19
VERBAL

Logan Duncomb
C 6'8" 220 Cincinnati, OH
Indiana
4/7/20
VERBAL

Tyler Beard
PG 6'1" 175 Chatham, VA
Georgetown
1/28/20
VERBAL

Max Christie
SG 6'5" 180 Rolling Meadows, IL
Michigan State
7/7/20
VERBAL

Luke Goode
SG 6'6" 185 Ft. Wayne, IN
Illinois
4/17/20
VERBAL

Isaiah Barnes
SG 6'6" 180 Chicago, IL
Michigan
6/24/20
VERBAL

Julian Roper
SG 6'3" 190 Detroit, MI
Northwestern
5/4/20
VERBAL

Bryce Hopkins
SF 6'6" 210 Oak Park, IL
Louisville
11/10/19
VERBAL

SOURCE: https://iowa.rivals.com/offers/basketball/2021

Last edited:
Reactions: tWarnerHawk

3) Good shot blocker.

Most likely not, but then nobody ever expected Luka to end up being GARZILLA either.....:D

With James, I'm most concerned with the quality of competition. He comes from a town of 600 in east Kentucky near the West Virginia/Virginia borders. Doesn't look like hes up against much talent wise in the videos. Too bad we couldn't have seen him in AAU competition this summer

With James, I'm most concerned with the quality of competition. He comes from a town of 600 in east Kentucky near the West Virginia/Virginia borders. Doesn't look like hes up against much talent wise in the videos. Too bad we couldn't have seen him in AAU competition this summer
Just go on youtube. You'll see plenty

Iowa for sure has 2 scholarships available for 2021 (to replace Garza and JBo).

From everything I am reading, those 2 scholarships are earmarked for:

* Trey James; Iowa is at the top of his list.

* Payton Sandfort. Sandfort has been favoring Iowa, Utah, Drake, and Minnesota, but it seems things are coming down to Iowa and Utah. Sandfort is not in a rush to make a decision

ADVERTISEMENT